• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino LIVE from the Camino de Catalán

Undermanager

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Madrid (x2)
VDLP
Salvador
Primitivo
Finisterra / Muxia
Lana
Day 1 - To Montserrat we go ......
4 yrs since the last Camino, older, less brain cells, easily confused usually followed by a touch of frustration and sometimes panic :) . I left Coventry, UK at 6.30am and made it to Barcelona's Plaza Espanya by 2.00pm, and also managed to get my folding walking poles through security as well. The first panic moment on arrival was my phone roaming wasn't working! Luckily, the airport wifi was, and after a Google, I found out that I needed to set up a new APN in the mobile phone settings. Good grief.

Bus 46 takes you from right out front of the airport to the plaza in about 30 minutes. After finding a Santander ATM for some Euros and having the first of what will be many hundreds of cafe con leches and bocodillos, I wandered aimlessly around Plaza Espanya for about 15 minutes, a huge underground labyrinth of shops, metro lines and normal trains on different levels. I stumbled onto what I suspect was the one and only Montserrat rail line sign by pure luck, then was helped to buy a €15 train and cable car combo ticket, and helped to the platform, then helped to the right train leaving at 14.36. I think I may have lost some powers of common sense, direction, logical reasoning and a few other things as well. And I seem to have mislaid my baseball cap. Is there any hope? On a more fun note, lots of women are carrying single red roses everywhere, to do with St George's day, I think.

Finally, I got on the train, from Platform 4, train number R5. All the trains have their number on an LED sign on the side. Mine arrived as S8 and changed into R5. We are at least heading in the right direction (maybe). It takes just over an hour and 22 stops to get to the Aeri de Montserrat station, the stop you need to get off at, to then get the cable car next to the station up to Montserrat.

It certainly gets chilly in Montserrat as the evening draws in so have a light jacket to hand. There are plenty of superb views here, a few hotel complexes, cafes and tourist shops, plus a big parking lot for coaches. And then there's the Basilica (€8), Thrown of our Lady (€11), vespers / choir (€11) and a €25 combo ticket (presumably with fries). There are also other things you can visit if so inclined. I decided to pass and look at the pictures on the Internet instead 😀 .

The albergue is top notch. I checked in at the Pastoral Coordination Center, where a very nice chap will stamp your credential, take your €10 and get you orientated. After a shower in the clean, warm 6 person dorm and a general wander around the sites, I sorted out where the start of the Camino was for tomorrow. There are eating options here, but they are limited, especially after about 6.00pm, and they're somewhat pricey as well. It might be worth bringing food up with you from Barcelona for the evening and breakfast, as well as water.

An easyish day. Let's see what tomorrow brings ....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
4 yrs since the last Camino, older, less brain cells, easily confused usually followed by a touch of frustration and sometimes panic :) . I left Coventry, UK at 6.30am and made it to Barcelona's Plaza Espanya by 2.00pm, and also managed to get my folding walking poles through security as well. The first panic moment on arrival was my phone roaming wasn't working! Luckily, the airport wifi was, and after a Google, I found out that I needed to set up a new APN in the mobile phone settings. Good grief.

Bus 46 takes you from right out front of the airport to the plaza in about 30 minutes. After finding a Santander ATM for some Euros and having the first of what will be many hundreds of cafe con leches and bocodillos, I wandered aimlessly around Plaza Espanya for about 15 minutes, a huge underground labyrinth of shops, metro lines and normal trains on different levels. I stumbled onto what I suspect was the one and only Montserrat rail line sign by pure luck, then was helped to buy a €15 train and cable car combo ticket, and helped to the platform, then helped to the right train leaving at 14.36. I think I may have lost some powers of common sense, direction, logical reasoning and a few other things as well. And I seem to have mislaid my baseball cap. Is there any hope? On a more fun note, lots of women are carrying single red roses everywhere, to do with St George's day, I think.

Finally, I got on the train, from Platform 4, train number R5. All the trains have their number on an LED sign on the side. Mine arrived as S8 and changed into R5. We are at least heading in the right direction (maybe). It takes just over an hour and 22 stops to get to the Aeri de Montserrat station, the stop you need to get off at, to then get the cable car next to the station up to Montserrat.

It certainly gets chilly in Montserrat as the evening draws in so have a light jacket to hand. There are plenty of superb views here, a few hotel complexes, cafes and tourist shops, plus a big parking lot for coaches. And then there's the Basilica (€8), Thrown of our Lady (€11), vespers / choir (€11) and a €25 combo ticket (presumably with fries). There are also other things you can visit if so inclined. I decided to pass and look at the pictures on the Internet instead 😀 .

The albergue is top notch. I checked in at the Pastoral Coordination Center, where a very nice chap will stamp your credential, take your €10 and get you orientated. After a shower in the clean, warm 6 person dorm and a general wander around the sites, I sorted out where the start of the Camino was for tomorrow. There are eating options here, but they are limited, especially after about 6.00pm, and they're somewhat pricey as well. It might be worth bringing food up with you from Barcelona for the evening and breakfast, as well as water.

Thanks for your post. We’ll be starting cami Catalan in a week so I’ll be following you. All tips appreciated 👍😊. Buen camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Day 2 Montserrat to Igualada
After 6.30pm, everywhere is closed in Montserrat and the temperature drops considerably. In the building where the Albergue is, on Level P, there is a basic kitchen area you can use with microwave, kettle and fridge, and a warm communal dining / relaxing area, as well as what looked like an open hotel restaurant, although I didn't have a closer look. The albergue itself seems to be a few rooms within a much larger rather sterile hotel complex, and is next to the small police station. You check in at the Pastoral Coordination Center (hours are from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.) just to the left of the Basilica, or at the reception of the Abat Cisneros hotel, which is 30m away.

I left before 7.00am and it was 1 degree C outside but clear skies. It was pretty chilly until the afternoon. You walk round a path from Montserrat (there was a big deer on mine 10 minutes out) until you hit the road, then you walk along side the road. The mountains are on your left and great views on your right. It's more of a march than a hike as the road never goes away. I don't mind the odd day road marching but it's hard on your legs on the first day. I stopped frequently to rest, as am forcing myself to take it easy in the first week. Having a blue sky day helped.

After about 10km, I followed arrows round to the left as the road forked, then must have missed a turning somewhere as all arrows disappeared, which I hadn't noticed for 20 minutes. A quick look at the map, and I decided to get on the B110 and the road called Carretera del Bruc. It was a good choice, being a back road, no more coaches steaming past, very quiet and very countryfied.

15km from Montserrat, heaven! The first bar appeared so stopped for a well earned coffee and chocolate croissant. It was still mainly road walking, with the odd short diversion onto dirt track.

At around 19kms you pass through the small and sleepy village of Castelloli. I walked straight through but there were 4 or 5 cafes along the main road here if you wanted a drink and food. A couple did stop me for a chat and said there was an albergue here if I wanted to stay. I think I saw it on the Gronze site as well, but it was only 12.30 so a bit early to stop. Still, if you are looking for smaller stages, this would be a harmless option.

At 26kms, after more roadside walking, you'll hit the outskirts of the sprawling Igualada. It's a very long 4km to the albergue in the tourist centre, first through 2kms of industrial estate, then 2kms of city centre, and not much fun. Still, you'll get there in the end. If a bus passes, take it! You won't be missing anything. I thought the Montserrat albergue was nice but this is really classy, with great views, crazy clean, 5* facilities and the usual Spanish hours for check-in times, so after 4pm for nearly everyone, who can't race to get there before 1.30pm. You check in at the tourist office, pay just over €20 and get your key. Then go avail yourself of the facilities. If you have to wait around, there are half a dozen bars close by for sustenance. I wouldn't describe today as a classic. There's a lot of uninspiring road walking but it's okay, especially as the weather was just about perfect.

The money situation is worth noting. I have had a Wise cash card for a while, and it has been rejected in 2 out of 4 places so far in Spain. The Santander ATM issued mostly only €50 notes using my Santander card and then in the bank itself, they wouldn't change it for smaller ones! No one in Spain like €50 notes so unload them at every opportunity. Treasure your change!

The restaurant will provide a lower-cost pilgrim meal if you ask and the church is free if you go to attend Mass (or one of the frequent evening concerts). This is the altar where St Ignatius of Loyola laid down his sword (now in a Barcelona church) and devoted his life to the Church. Definitely worth the effort to be in the presence of such of a place.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The restaurant will provide a lower-cost pilgrim meal if you ask and the church is free if you go to attend Mass (or one of the frequent evening concerts). This is the altar where St Ignatius of Loyola laid down his sword (now in a Barcelona church) and devoted his life to the Church. Definitely worth the effort to be in the presence of such of a place.
It would be great to get more specific, practical info on this - where do you go, who do you see, when etc. The hotel never mentioned it, the albergue Registration Office never mentioned it, the Tourist Office didn't either when mentioning walking to Santiago, or even the security guards (although why would they). There was an evening concert yesterday, but was still required to pay so didn't.

Day 3 - Igualada to La Panadella
Power. I bought a worldwide Momax 70W fast charge adapter before this trip. After 2 days, it's been brilliant. Just chuck in a few leads and away you go. My phone is now charged up in well less than an hour, and no problem for the backup power bank and electric toothbrush. It isn't particularly cheap but am very happy with it so far and will be useful when I travel further afield.

Leaving Igualada is less gruesome than arriving. The way out is clearly marked and you are soon on the outskirts and on to a dirt track. Hurrah, you say, but 5 minutes later, you're back on road. Today is another day next to or very close to the motorway. Jorba, about 2 hours and 9kms from Igualada is the first place to stop, with a couple of cafes in the quiet village. 3kms on from that, there's a motorway stop with food and drink in the petrol station or in the cafe. I'd like to describe it all up to that point but there's not a lot to describe really. The motorway stop is just over half way to La Panadella.

From here, the tarmac route is quieter and less unpleasant, but seems to be mostly on an uphill gradient. And boy oh boy, that last 4 kms to La Panadella is fun - stick your headphones on and march to the beat, a long, straight uphill tarmac road, but next to no traffic. Today, light rain was forecast but none came, so will happily take that. My hips hurt a bit, I can't walk for 10 minutes if I stop for a break and my feet ache, but no major traumas to report.

The destination is essentially a tiny hamlet on a hill that has become a truckstop. There's a petrol station, a breakdown place, a few other random buildings and the huge Hotel Bayona. You can stay here for a bargain €25, for a perfectly adequate en suite room. The welcome when I arrived at 2.00pm was warm and friendly, the ambience is fantastic, there's a huge very busy eating area and it's the kind of place I love!

It's early days yet but it's quite a shock to the system to start pounding tarmac for two days - not unusual as both body and mind are adapting. Am I enjoying this Camino so far? Tricky one, as I thought the monastery was just an overpriced tourist trap and there's not been much to go WoW at so far, except at the skill of the Spanish to create roads. Thankfully, the albergues were both top notch and tonight is gonna be a blast. Good Hotel Bayona change my perception of this Camino?

Tomorrow will be a challenge. I think that's the place not far off 30kms away where I then have to phone the police to get in the albergue? Not sure about that. I also plan to go through the rucksack and see what I can bin. I'm sure I can lose another kg!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Power. I bought a worldwide Momax 70W fast charge adapter before this trip. After 2 days, it's been brilliant. Just chuck in a few leads and away you go. My phone is now charged up in well less than an hour, and no problem for the backup power bank and electric toothbrush. It isn't particularly cheap but am very happy with it so far and will be useful when I travel further afield.

Leaving Igualada is less gruesome than arriving. The way out is clearly marked and you are soon on the outskirts and on to a dirt track. Hurrah, you say, but 5 minutes later, you're back on road. Today is another day next to or very close to the motorway. Jorba, about 2 hours and 9kms from Igualada is the first place to stop, with a couple of cafes in the quiet village. 3kms on from that, there's a motorway stop with food and drink in the petrol station or in the cafe. I'd like to describe it all up to that point but there's not a lot to describe really. The motorway stop is just over half way to La Panadella.

From here, the tarmac route is quieter and less unpleasant, but seems to be mostly on an uphill gradient. And boy oh boy, that last 4 kms to La Panadella is fun - stick your headphones on and march to the beat, a long, straight uphill tarmac road, but next to no traffic. Today, light rain was forecast but none came, so will happily take that. My hips hurt a bit, I can't walk for 10 minutes if I stop for a break and my feet ache, but no major traumas to report.

The destination is essentially a tiny hamlet on a hill that has become a truckstop. There's a petrol station, a breakdown place, a few other random buildings and the huge Hotel Bayona. You can stay here for a bargain €25, for a perfectly adequate en suite room. The welcome when I arrived at 2.00pm was warm and friendly, the ambience is fantastic, there's a huge very busy eating area and it's the kind of place I love!

It's early days yet but it's quite a shock to the system to start pounding tarmac for two days - not unusual as both body and mind are adapting. Am I enjoying this Camino so far? Tricky one, as I thought the monastery was just an overpriced tourist trap and there's not been much to go WoW at so far, except at the skill of the Spanish to create roads. Thankfully, the albergues were both top notch and tonight is gonna be a blast. Good Hotel Bayona change my perception of this Camino?

Tomorrow will be a challenge. I think that's the place not far off 30kms away where I then have to phone the police to get in the albergue? Not sure about that. I also plan to go through the rucksack and see what I can bin. I'm sure I can lose another kg!
We’ll be there next week. Your posts are really informative. Much appreciated. Can you post the number for the police station and any other info re accessing the albergue when you’ve arrived. Buen camino y muchísimas gracias.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hi Undermanager,

On Tuesday I walked from La Pandella to Tàrrega, like a day walk.
This is my track on Wikiloc.
I stopped in Cervera for lunch.
There is less asphalt than Igualada to La Panadella.
I think you'll like it more.

Bon Camí.

https://ca.wikiloc.com/rutes-sender...-etapa-la-panadella-cervera-tarrega-168369729

It would be great to get more specific, practical info on this - where do you go, who do you see, when etc. The hotel never mentioned it, the albergue Registration Office never mentioned it, the Tourist Office didn't either when mentioning walking to Santiago, or even the security guards (although why would they). There was an evening concert yesterday, but was still required to pay so didn't.
Very odd, as it was made very clear to us as pilgrims when we stayed there a few years back as well as a friend who was there last year. As for seeing inside the church itself, attending a service is always free, though you sometimes have to explicitly state you are there for that purpose. This is true on the Camino as well as around the world (COE Eve’song in St Paul’s, Canterbury, Winchester, and Westminster - all very moving!).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Currently in Terraga. Tomorrow, the apartment mentioned in Gronze in Linyola is taken. The walk to the next place from Terraga is about 38kms, which may kill me off. Can anyone see any other options just after Linyola, or around it please? Looking for maybe a hotel, and can possible share a twin as another Spanish pilgrim here doing the same route. Any (urgent) advice welcome 🙏

If you take the southern arm of the camino there are more options; perhaps going to El Palau d'Anglesola, and cutting across to Balauger the next day? Alternatively, it looks from Google Maps that there's a place, Apartaments La Llacuna, in Vila Sana, a bit off the Camino and a bit short of Linyola.

Day 4 - La Panadella to Terrega
On warming down. I learnt the hard way many years ago that spending 15 minutes warming down after a long day hiking, stretching, walking backwards, resetting muscles by getting them to do the opposite of what they've been doing all day really does help. It's even more true the older I get. There are plenty of YouTube videos on the subject, but if it's not part of your ritual, perhaps it's something to consider.

So, Hostel Bayona. They do very tasty looking comprehensive set menus, which are €14 instead of €18 for camino walkers during the day but they finish late in the afternoon. They were clearly popular as the place was packed when I arrived at 2.00pm. After that, there's a sandwich menu plus a few meals. You'll no doubt arrive at 2.00pm give or take as it's only 22kms from your start - if you have the energy straightaway or can find out when the set menus finish and start again, definitely go for that option. By the time I'd done all my jobs, showered, dozed, etc, I came down, and the place had gone from packed to empty, and the set meals were finished. However, about 8.00pm, they were up and running again? Still, one beefsteak and fries from the bar menu and all was well. The rest of the evening was spent having a wander round (there are old fortifications up by the phone mast), looking at the millions of house martins nesting, drinking coffee then beer and playing on the phone. It got cold later on so had to wrap up warm. I was in bed and fast asleep by 9.00pm.

As usual, I was up and out around 7.00am the next day. I have about 30km to do today. There's an albergue at the destination but looks like there are a few hotels about if I don't fancy faffing. Albergue access appears to involve calling the local police but with my non-Spanish, it isn't a realistic option. The next few days seem a bit tricky for accommodation but we'll see.

It was a lovely bluesky day today. It was nearly all dirt track except for a few kilometers near the start and 5 kms at the end, and all through very pretty countryside. It's worth grabbing breakfast or some snacks from either the hotel or the petrol station as there weren't many options until you got to Cervera, assuming you go there because it's on a very big hill you may not fancy walking up. I didn't.

In Sant Pere dels Arquells, you have a choice. You can go right and follow the road closer to the motorway and then into Cervera, a very pretty town on a very big hill. Or you can follow the dirt route marked 'motorcross'. I took the very pretty dirt route and it was fun, a bit more up and down but through a forest at times. You end up at the bottom of Cervera, looking up at the town and thinking, 'Do I really want to go up there?' I didn't, so skirted around it and then got on the path to Terrega.

Well done to whoever marked out the Albergue as I went straight to it. You have to walk through the pretty town of Terrega and it's about 1.5kms from the centre the orherside and almost the last building in an industrial estate! I did pop into a supermarket on the way, which was a very smart move, as I don't fancy walking back to eat as I'm knackered. I expected to have to faff about but there was someone there checking a couple of other pilgrims in. It's a very nice, new set-up, but I think everyone will look forward to the day locks are put on the showers and toilets! There's a microwave and fridge in the small kitchen. The police even showed up, to make sure that everything was okay!

All I have to do now is try and sort out somewhere to stay tomorrow. I knew this might be a problem stage and so it is proving. It might be a long day tomorrow.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Currently in Terraga. Tomorrow, the apartment mentioned in Gronze in Linyola is taken. The walk to the next place from Terraga is about 38kms, which may kill me off. Can anyone see any other options just after Linyola, or around it please? Looking for maybe a hotel, and can possible share a twin as another Spanish pilgrim here doing the same route. Any (urgent) advice welcome 🙏
I just called the apartment in Linyola to see if the apartment was taken on my dates ( booking said it was full). The very friendly person I spoke to asked me to call back tomorrow to confirm. Relevant to you is that she mentioned that they also have a single room which is separate from the apartment. It might be worth giving her a call to see if that’s available tomorrow?

Hi,
I phoned La Teuleria in Linyola 609930663 they didn't take it.
At Perebep Apartments if they catch it. I am told that on Saturday night they are full (weekend),
Sunday night if you have a room with bathroom and microwave for € 20. 679183943, they can assist you in English.
I've looked at the ALSA buses but you don't have any combinations.
Perhaps the most reasonable thing to do is to rest tomorrow and make the stage on Sunday or walk another 13 kilometers to Balaguer.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I have a few options now, which helps. I think I'll be doing a walk from the Albergue, turn left then right direct to Linyola (20kms) as suggested by Google Maps, rather than backtracking into town and walking the camino route. It looks like an interesting route and will save 4kms. Then on to Balaguer another 13kms. I expect to walk about 33kms tomorrow which is okay, just. The weather forecast is not the best though so will have to see. Thanks again.

PS Have yet to try out the Translate Live feature on my Samsung phone, to instantly translate phone calls, so tomorrow may be the time ....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I have a few options now, which helps. I think I'll be doing a walk from the Albergue, turn left then right direct to Linyola (20kms) as suggested by Google Maps, rather than backtracking into town and walking the camino route. It looks like an interesting route and will save 4kms. Then on to Balaguer another 13kms. I expect to walk about 33kms tomorrow which is okay, just. The weather forecast is not the best though so will have to see. Thanks again.

PS Have yet to try out the Translate Live feature on my Samsung phone, to instantly translate phone calls, so tomorrow may be the time ....
Right now they have returned the call from the Teuleria a Linyola. For tomorrow night € 40 . If you are interested call 609930663. The mistress speaks English.

https://www.google.es/maps/place/Te...1.704382!4d0.905352!16s/g/124ynrxp7?entry=ttu

Bon Camí

Last edited:
Day 5 - Tárrega to Balaguer
On food. One of my favourite quick meals are the Caesar salads sold in supermarkets. They are pre-made, tasty and filling but also light, which means popping them in the rucksack for later doesn't add too much weight.

Linyola is a bit of a problem for accommodation. The apartment mentioned in Gronze was booked for today. The plan weather willing is to go from the Albergue, which is way out of Tárrega on the wrong road, to Linyola using the direct route suggested on Google Maps. This should be about 20kms and save 4kms in backtracking and being on the more circuitous camino route. From there, it's a straight line to Balaguer. The plan is to stay in Hostel Sant Miquel, a basic hotel, allegedly for €21.

I left at 7.00am in light rain. Despite the forecast, that was all I saw all day, although it threatened it regularly. I came out the hostel turned left to Anglesola, Barbens, Ivars d'Urgell then Linyola. It was about 21kms of quiet tarmac back road except for the last 4 kms in a straight line, with very little to see except crops and industrial agricultural factories. But it was flat and took just over 4 hours walking time to cover it. The villages on the way were all conveniently spaced with cafes. Barbers had a bakery, too.

I'm glad I decided not to stay in Linyola. It was very quiet, did have a few shops but I was there before midday, which is far too early to stop. So I visited the supermarket near the church, had lunch and made a beeline to Balaguer. 13kms or so of dirt track without stopping, and the dirt meant less pounding on my feet. Heaven. Tarmac really takes it out of me unless I've gotten accustomed to it. There are zero provisions on this stretch, so have a good lunch and take enough water. There's nothing to see except flat fields. If you're British, think Norfolk Fens. The only slightly concerning thing was that there were some suspiciously looking hilly hills in my general direction in the distance. I just hoped Balaguer wasn't on top of one of them. Fortunately, it wasn't.

Today was the first time I used Samsung's Live Translate for a phone call. It worked! I crossed the bridge, saw the closed hostel on the right, rang the number on the door of the hostel, said I was a pilgrim and was outside, and they came down and let me in! Hurrah for technology!

Hostel Sant Miquel is on the second floor, and I wasn't holding out much hope from first impressions but the two ladies running it were lovely, the room is basic but spotless and as I was just about crippled after today, they helped me get up, with my bag etc. It was €25 haggled down from €30, with a sink but not ensuite. Thoroughly recommended.

I know nothing about Balaguer, but there's a large monastery at the top of a hill overlooking the hostel. Assuming they charge like Montserrat, I have no intention of going up and looking. It's a small town with a High Street, big river and all perfectly harmless. Tonight will be about recovering, and working out the next few stages, as my (Maggie's) Great Plan is totally out of sync now.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Day 6 - Balaguer to Algerri
On clothing. I bought the cheapest of cheap ponchos from Decathlon before leaving and had it on most of the day yesterday. The jury's still out, but one thing given Spain can be hot and humid, you don't sweat or overheat like I have in the past with jackets, even expensive Gortex ones. Tomorrow is another grim looking weather day so it might get tested in heavier rain. I think I might go for a better designed poncho next time, though, that fully covers the rucksack.

My favourite trouser set-up is lightweight shorts, with overtrousers on top. Mine zip up to the knee. They will keep you warm in the cold mornings as well as in the evenings when relaxing, and dry and cool during the day. But when it's too hot, you can just whip the overtrousers off and you're good to go in shorts. I've used this set-up for over a decade now. Perfecto!

I usually wear cheapo popsocks (ankle length tights) and then a thin pair of socks on top. The popsocks wick away moisture very effectively and last about a week per pair. Since using this arrangement, I've rarely had a food blister. Before that, it was a constant problem.

The hostel last night was excellent. Everything inside was new so it looked great, but there's no kitchen, lounge, water or any facilities, and my room had no ensuite. If you need provisions, there's the big supermarket on the high street 5 minutes away, which you probably passed walking to the hostel.

After a 10 minute uphill slog out of Balaguer, you get on a few kilometres of road, then it switches to a dirt track for the rest of the day. It was a very fresh day, no rain setting off, but it had clearly been belting down overnight as the track was really muddy with pools of water everywhere.

Walking through flat then rolling countryside, the first village is the very pretty Castello de Farfanya, about 9kms away. There's a very old, seriously impressive, ruined castle or church on a hill overlooking the village, donkey-wide alleys in the village, but nowhere open at that time to eat or drink. It was early Sunday and not surprising, so pressed on to the village of Algerri, another 8km. If anyone has the energy, it would be great to see some photos from the ruins.

Algerri is another small, pretty village with a ruined castle on a hill. I didn't find any shops but there's a petrol station on the main road after you walk through the village, and the Parador Algerri bar next to it so sat and had an early lunch. I learnt something today. A big P on a blue sign outside a bar is the secret sign for rooms available. It might be worth looking out for in future if stuck. This bar did rooms for €30 so an option if the albergue is full, you can't find the keyholder, or you just need a bit of space for a night. It does bar food and restaurant meals, too, although a tadge pricey.

So, what to do next? I was still aching a bit from yesterday, especially my hips but a knee as well, so surprisingly, given I'm not known for good decision-making, I decided to stop in Algerri at the albergue. It was not even midday and had only done 18kms, but it looked like there could be a world of pain if pressing on - nowhere to stay in Alfarras, the next village, and 22km more to get to Tamarite de Litera, or maybe 5 hours walking. Not only that but heavy rain was forecast in the afternoon, and the humidity was noticeably building up. The bar was open all day, I could have a rest and see if the body heals a bit, wash a few clothes out, and be back in walking sync with The Plan.

It took an hour to get into the albergue, all my own fault of course, for not phoning in advance as instructed on the Gronze site. Fortunately, another pilgrim who spoke Spanish was here, so he was able to knock on doors, phone the village mayor, and get a key, as the main keyholder was out on bell ringing duties today! I met the other pilgrim in Montserrat and our paths have criss-crossed since then. He started the camino from his house in Barcelona, walking up to Montserrat on day 1. Now that's impressive. He's the only other person I've met so far.

This albergue in Algerri is top notch, with a dozen beds across two rooms, a lounge with dining table, balcony, kitchen and tv, a shower room and toilet and a place to dry off your clothes. It all looks new, white, bright, airy and is really really nice, a lovely place to relax. It's right next to the church, adjoining the ayuntamiento so is easy to find. If there is a shop here in the village, now is the time for that communal meal!

So now, I'm at the bar, enjoying a beer and some food, having a look at what tomorrow may bring ....

Day 7 - Algerri - Tamarite de Litera
On shoes. I used to think that hiking meant hiking boots, of the leather, ankle supporting variety. Spain knocked that idea on its head long ago, as I found my feet swelled and sweated so much in leather boots when I first started caminos, and pain and blisters usually followed. And the extra weight on each foot was unwelcome, too!

For the last decade, I've used cheapo Karrimore Weatherlite Low Bodmin IV shoes, with Dr Scholls inserts. I had to give up the VDLP one year, when plantar fasciitis struck and it took 4 or 5 months to get over this painful condition. These inserts seem to help support the arch of my foot now, and I've not had a problem since. The walking shoes I use are cheap, comfy, just about showerproof, dry quickly if soaked but most importantly let my feet breathe. I rarely get blisters now, especially as I use ankle-high tights (popsocks) under thin socks as well, which wick away moisture. The shoes never really last more than a camino, two at most, but as they're so cheap, it doesn't matter. They are somewhere between a half a size and a full size bigger than I need, to allow for swelling feet. I'm also a fan of Gewohl foot cream, which I start using a month before the camino and then each morning on the camino before setting off. It seems to help toughen up the feet.

Yesterday was spent having a few beers, washing clothes, emailing ahead the albergues I'll be staying in over the next few days and reading about the thousands of people starting the CdeF in 'a bubble' in the last few days and the ensuing panic it's causing over beds! Maybe they should switch over and try this camino 😀, or my favourite, the Madrid. It was a relaxing stay in Algerri, made possible by being in such a nice albergue, although it's a shame there's no shop or supermarket in the village to talk of.

The forecast for today was very bad, 90 - 100% chance of rain all day long. On the plus side, it's another fairly short stage, about 22kms and around 5 hours if you include a break somewhere. The poncho will be tested for sure.

I set off at about 7.00am. And no rain! Are Spanish weather forecasters as bad as the British ones 😀? It might be too early to tell, but it's not raining, very gloomy, but no rain. I set off at a good pace, and before I knew it, I was in and out of the grim Alfarràs, about 7km away. It's a small industrial town. There are no cafes or shops from here to Tamerite so this is the place to have breakfast and grab a snack or two if you haven't done so already. If you get here when it's open, you pass close to a big supermarket just as you are about to exit the town 30m down a road on the left from the camino route. I didn't even want to stop for coffee, though. Up a hill for a few kilometers, and you are out of Catalan and into Aragon, passing under the canal that separates the two provinces. Then it started raining and didn't stop until I got to the albergue. This is yet another pretty tedious day with very little to see or enthuse about. It was about two thirds dirt track, one third tarmac. There were no cafes except at the start and in Alfarràs.

At Tamerite, I phoned the number (or rather my Spanish friend phoned the number, as he conveniently arrived just as I was faffing about) given in Gronze when standing outside the town hall. An unhappy chappy then appeared 5 minutes later, took us inside to take our details and then led us to the albergue, a 5 minute walk away. After all the others, it's back to Earth. It is very clean, but very basic with a couple of showers and toilets. There's no kitchen or sitting area - I've been spoilt in the last week :) . You leave a donation in the box when you leave. The town has loads of shops, bars, supermarkets, a post office etc - you'll start to see them when you walk to the Town Hall. Just as we got to the albergue, the heavens really opened up and it poured with rain for hours.

This is my 6th or 7th Camino. I'd happily do any of the others again (and indeed have). This camino does have a few positives; I like the hiking, that Barcelona is easy to get to from where I live in the UK, that it's got almost zero pilgrims on the route, that the route is well-marked and mostly, there are enough really high quality albergues and cheap hotels to make it doable without breaking the bank. But I really don't like the excessive tarmac walking, often being so close to major roads and with the exception of day 3, it just doesn't look or feel like a pretty or interesting camino. Put it side by side the Madrid, Lana etc and it sort of pales by comparison. I'm sure others would disagree, but that's where I am after a week here. I'd struggle to want to do this one again if I'm being honest. I have been hoping it will get better each day, but think it's time (body willing) to look for ways and opportunities to speed up the stages now, and find an area a bit more interesting to walk through. Tomorrow does present an opportunity for a double stage. It's really whether the hips can cope ......

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Day 8 - Tamarite de Litera to Monzon
On costs. I set off about 6.00am from Coventry, UK last Tuesday and arrived in Barcelona at midday. I immediately took out €300 from an ATM and have a Wise travel card preloaded with Euros. So, for the first 7 days and 7 nights for everything, from landing in Barcelona until Monday bedtime, train and cable car up to Montserrat, 5 albergues and two basic hotels, all food, snacks and drink, I've spent a grand total of €275, or €39 per day so far. I don't drink much alcohol, perhaps a beer somewhere in a bar in the evening but water mainly, plus a couple of coffees a day. I prefer to grab different food and salads from supermarkets for main meals and snacks but have also had three well-overpriced pub meals costing between €20 - €25, which they definitely weren't worth.

I wouldn't say walking this camino is any more or less expensive than the last one (Camino de Lana) four years ago or indeed any previous one, with one notable exception, meals in bars. Many on this route seem in the €20 - €25 region for seriously average plates of food or set menus. Not everywhere (Hostel Bagoda's set menu at €14 for pilgrims was excellent value), but enough places charge enough to make me sit up and notice. Some of the bakeries, too, have sold me pretty substandard slices of pizza and pastries as snacks at fairly high prices as well, and not really that good. Supermarket prices seem of the same order as 4 years ago. Albergues were €10 per night, although the one in Igualada was €22. Both hotels were €25 per night. I like water with gas, but there's really no reason to buy bottled water in Spain, with all the drinkable fountains about. And tap water has been drinkable everywhere when I've asked as well. I hope that this info helps someone budget for their trip if they want to do this Camino.

The albergue in Tamarite was okay, just. The pouring rain all afternoon and evening didn't help, and there is no kitchen, kettle, or sitting area unfortunately. Take note that the large building is derelict inside in some parts whilst other sections are used as a community centre. Although the very clean albergue is in one well-maintained wing, there may be (very noisy) groups popping in and out all evening with banging and shouting above, below and in the albergue (we had a yoga group opposite our room for an hour). Every bit of noise made anywhere in the building seemed to echo and reverberate through the albergue. I did brave a visit in the rain to the supermarket for supplies, mainly to escape for a while, and a bar for a few glasses of red wine for medicinal purposes. If you're a light sleeper, you might want to get those industrial strength earplugs ready or consider your options before arriving.

I was off before 7.00am today, to avoid the downpours forecast last night. However, it was quite bright and clear so was hopeful for an easy, dry day. After a brief uphill bit, you are out of town and on your way. There was one cafe open on the main High Street on the Camino route, if you need a coffee before setting off. I didn't spot any others open. There are zero facilities anywhere between here and Monzon, so stock up with breakfast, snacks and water the day before.

You are on dirt track pretty quickly today, although about a third of today will be on road. It was very muddy and slippy all day on the dirt tracks, as a result of 12 hours of rain, I guess. Walking poles were welcome to help you stay on your feet, and I played 'Dodge the snail' for hours. There were thousands of them about!

Some of the morning was spent walking besides fast-flowing chemical-green irrigation channels. God help anyone who falls in, as there are zero emergency ladders on the steep sides. There are plenty of agricultural facilities and production units to admire, as you tick off the kilometres. Best get your headphones ready and a playlist or podcast or two.

Bum. I got to the Albergue, only to find out that they aren't taking pilgrims until at least 21st May. Something to do with reserving it for their sportsmen and sportswomen. Fortunately, my Spanish pilgrim friend is fluent in Spanish! A phone call and €29 later and we each have a nice ensuite room in Hostal Venecia 1, which is 10 minutes walk from Plaza Mayor, opposite the train station. I was thinking about pressing on, but Monzon is a very pretty old town with a massive castle and lots of narrow streets in its old town, and my body aches a bit. It's the first place on this Camino I liked the look of so decided to stay, have a look about and relax. Or just go to sleep.

The albergue in Tamarite was okay, just. The pouring rain all afternoon and evening didn't help, and there is no kitchen, kettle, or sitting area unfortunately. Take note that the large building is derelict inside in some parts whilst other sections are used as a community centre. Although the very clean albergue is in one well-maintained wing, there may be (very noisy) groups popping in and out all evening with banging and shouting above, below and in the albergue (we had a yoga group opposite our room for an hour).
Let me add that you get two keys; one to the building and one to the albergue wing. Visitors to other parts of the building don't have access to the albergue portion. Noise does carry there but I didn't find the place as busy as @Undermanager did.

Memory, maybe faulty, is telling me that this was the first place I found where shutting off the overhead lights also shut off the power to the wall outlets. Fortunately I noticed that my phone wasn't charging before I fell asleep so I charged my phone in another room. I was the only one in the albergue that night.

The albergue in Berbegal, two Gronze stages further on, also had the problem with the power switch handling both the lights and outlets.

Really good reports @Undermanager.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Day 8 - Tamarite de Litera to Monzon
On costs. I set off about 6.00am from Coventry, UK last Tuesday and arrived in Barcelona at midday. I immediately took out €300 from an ATM and have a Wise travel card preloaded with Euros. So, for the first 7 days and 7 nights for everything, from landing in Barcelona until Monday bedtime, train and cable car up to Montserrat, 5 albergues and two basic hotels, all food, snacks and drink, I've spent a grand total of €275, or €39 per day so far. I don't drink much alcohol, perhaps a beer somewhere in a bar in the evening but water mainly, plus a couple of coffees a day. I prefer to grab different food and salads from supermarkets for main meals and snacks but have also had three well-overpriced pub meals costing between €20 - €25, which they definitely weren't worth.

I wouldn't say walking this camino is any more or less expensive than the last one (Camino de Lana) four years ago or indeed any previous one, with one notable exception, meals in bars. Many on this route seem in the €20 - €25 region for seriously average plates of food or set menus. Not everywhere (Hostel Bagoda's set menu at €14 for pilgrims was excellent value), but enough places charge enough to make me sit up and notice. Some of the bakeries, too, have sold me pretty substandard slices of pizza and pastries as snacks at fairly high prices as well, and not really that good. Supermarket prices seem of the same order as 4 years ago. Albergues were €10 per night, although the one in Igualada was €22. Both hotels were €25 per night. I like water with gas, but there's really no reason to buy bottled water in Spain, with all the drinkable fountains about. And tap water has been drinkable everywhere when I've asked as well. I hope that this info helps someone budget for their trip if they want to do this Camino.

The albergue in Tamarite was okay, just. The pouring rain all afternoon and evening didn't help, and there is no kitchen, kettle, or sitting area unfortunately. Take note that the large building is derelict inside in some parts whilst other sections are used as a community centre. Although the very clean albergue is in one well-maintained wing, there may be (very noisy) groups popping in and out all evening with banging and shouting above, below and in the albergue (we had a yoga group opposite our room for an hour). Every bit of noise made anywhere in the building seemed to echo and reverberate through the albergue. I did brave a visit in the rain to the supermarket for supplies, mainly to escape for a while, and a bar for a few glasses of red wine for medicinal purposes. If you're a light sleeper, you might want to get those industrial strength earplugs ready or consider your options before arriving.

I was off before 7.00am today, to avoid the downpours forecast last night. However, it was quite bright and clear so was hopeful for an easy, dry day. After a brief uphill bit, you are out of town and on your way. There was one cafe open on the main High Street on the Camino route, if you need a coffee before setting off. I didn't spot any others open. There are zero facilities anywhere between here and Monzon, so stock up with breakfast, snacks and water the day before.

You are on dirt track pretty quickly today, although about a third of today will be on road. It was very muddy and slippy all day on the dirt tracks, as a result of 12 hours of rain, I guess. Walking poles were welcome to help you stay on your feet, and I played 'Dodge the snail' for hours. There were thousands of them about!

Some of the morning was spent walking besides fast-flowing chemical-green irrigation channels. God help anyone who falls in, as there are zero emergency ladders on the steep sides. There are plenty of agricultural facilities and production units to admire, as you tick off the kilometres. Best get your headphones ready and a playlist or podcast or two.

Bum. I got to the Albergue, only to find out that they aren't taking pilgrims until at least 21st May. Something to do with reserving it for their sportsmen and sportswomen. Fortunately, my Spanish pilgrim friend is fluent in Spanish! A phone call and €29 later and we each have a nice ensuite room in Hostal Venecia 1, which is 10 minutes walk from Plaza Mayor, opposite the train station. I was thinking about pressing on, but Monzon is a very pretty old town with a massive castle and lots of narrow streets in its old town, and my body aches a bit. It's the first place on this Camino I liked the look of so decided to stay, have a look about and relax. Or just go to sleep.
Thanks for the info about the Monzón albergue being closed. We’ll book somewhere 👍

Thanks also for the tip on Samsung Translate from the other day. I tried it this morning calling my husband on his phone Seems to work pretty well although there was a brief lag.

Day 9 - Monzon to Pertusa
Hostal Venecia 1 is recommended if the albergue is closed or you just need an inexpensive hotel for any reason. My ensuite room was perfectly clean, with hairdryer and sink plug - time for a shave!!! There's a couple of vending machines downstairs for coffee and instant meals, and a microwave, and it's good value at €29. It's opposite the train station so just head there and look!

I liked Monzon. I was in the hotel room and fast asleep by 1.00pm. I had felt a bit funny all morning whilst walking and suddenly got really cold with a headache in the hotel, not like me at all. Three hours of sleep under blankets, a shower and shave, and all was well. I then spent two hours visiting the castle. You might as well visit this one if you're only going to visit one in Spain, as it's quite impressive, has Knights Templar associations, and is worth the 20-minute uphill slog. You'll need to Google its history as the info provided was utter pants. Entry is €3.50 and probably worth it. Next, I had a general wander in the old town, then crossed a bridge and had some really nice tapas and a beer overlooking what might be a river, but it could be one of many things - tricky to tell. The tapas was a cut up sausage in a buttery garlic sauce, and stripes of fish around olive (bokirones?). There was a blue sky, and it was a warm and sunny evening, not what I was expecting after last night. I think because tomorrow is a public holiday, the public chilling has started this evening? I moved from my delightful spot to the dingy old blokes' drinking flophouse of a pub a few doors down from the hostel. Fortunately, I fitted in, sank a few more beers, said goodnight to my new best friends and then went off to bed.

Today is May 1st, a public holiday. I wasn't sure what to expect accommodation wise, but was thinking about getting to Huesco in two stages rather than the planned three. There seems to be enough places to be flexible, although no one was answering when I phoned eg the albergue in Pertusa yesterday. I guess we'll just see what happens. I'm in no particular rush but suffer from a low boredom threshold. I hate with a passion sitting around, killing time. Relaxing gets me stressed out.

Leaving Monzon is an easy affair, although not particularly pretty. You'll pass by maybe a concrete factory and then a big industrial estate but you'll soon be out in the flat countryside, admiring irrigation channels. It was okay though. Selgua is quickly upon you, 7km away. As you enter the small village, you'll see camino arrows in all directions. There was an open bar if you want a coffee break. It's on a corner, right opposite the church, so that's an easy landmark to aim for. Then follow the arrows out and head for Berbegal 13kms away.

You can see Berbegal over in the distance as soon as you leave Selgua, sitting like Cape Town's Table Top Mountain. It's a pleasant enough walk to Berbegal but boy, those last few kilometers will have you in a sweat. It's up, up, up. The views are great when you get there though so worth the effort. The bar near the Town Hall will welcome you with open arms and is the place to have a beer con limon after your exertions. This is a large village, with a Spar and a few other shops and would make a nice place to stay. I've no idea what the albergue is like, however. It was not even midday so decided another 13kms to Pertusa was in order. What really swung it, though, was the weather. It was brightening up from the gloomy morning. Cool and bright - perfect for a hike.

The trip to Pertusa was really excellent. I think there maybe be some rerouting going on as the camino arrows didn't always follow both routes I had (off Wikilocs). But I took the most direct route, the fun route, the one where the track disappeared or was overgrown at times 😀 and the one that didn't follow the camino arrows. It's on Wikilocs if interested, as 'Camino de Catalan - Day 8'.

You'll hit a more-interesting-than-usual, very long 2km straight tarmac road with a fabulous, clear, fast-flowing, non-chemical-green irrigation channel by it. As you get closer to Pertusa, you'll see a signposted Roman road. It would be fun if someone went that way and reported what they found as it comes out very close to Pertusa. For this section, I was walking and chatting to the Spanish pilgrim, who'd caught up with me just before Berbegal; I'd left the hotel earlier than he had, I think. I don't normally chat and walk with anyone as prefer to be setting my own pace and in my own world, but time flew by on this occasion.

You won't know you are in Pertusa until you are in it! You'll see the church from a few kilometers away and you'll wonder where the village is. Then you turn a corner, drop down and there it is, spread out before you. Follow the arrows to the children's play area, and the albergue is next to it, and the comminty bar as well, which was (sadly) shut. The albergue is superb, and was open when we arrived as we'd managed to make contact with the keyholder in advance, which is recommended. 6 beds in one room, fully equipped kitchen, showers, toilets, place to sit and chat, eat or play on your phone, bright, light and spotless. They ask for a €5 donation. I can feel excessive generosity coming on.

There is another bar somewhere with mysterious opening hours but no shop. I'll maybe go looking for the bar later. We know this because we asked Mariebelle, a lovely lady who was passing. Can you believe it. The next thing was she turned up at the albergue with bread, eggs, home-made tomato sauce, a local salami, ham, some tomatoes, coffee and sugar (no ice cream, though?). And she was adamant she didn't want any money. What a star, given we'd not done our homework about the lack of provisions here - bring what you need if planning to stay as Mariebelle may not be passing when you arrive! The Spanish pilgrim was the designated chef and he cooked up a wonderful pasta dish using the spaghetti we found in the cupboard, followed by coffee. I did chop the ham and tomatoes, which I think was the hardest part of the dish (and washed up 😀 ). We have enough for later too, and a bit of breakfast.

So all in all, given the scenery was not always the best today, it was an excellent camino-esque day. The hiking was excellent and I don't feel too crippled by the 33kms; I was a mess the last time I did this distance, on Day 5. I guess the body is getting stronger, although my damned right hip seizes up every time I stop for a sit down - I'm not sure there's much that can be done except scream out loud when I get going again, which is frequently what happens, as it's so painful. It must be odd to see a stranger do that 😅.

It may be possible to get to Huesca tomorrow as it's the same distance as today. And looking at the weather forecast, it looks good for the next 10 days now. The last four days of dark clouds, constant threatening rain and heavy downpours are over!

@Undermanager
A delight to see your reports of a new adventure. Buen Camino.
I walked a few stages of Camino Catalán in November - the Camino Ignaciano joins it (in the opposite direction) between Tarrega and Montserrat. It finishes up in Manresa.
Day 9 sounds wonderful - how fortunate to meet Mariebelle.
I found the CI wonderful. Was blessed with generally still warm weather. Windy at times. Very few fellow walkers - well just two, and one in the opposite direction!
Tim

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Day 10 - Pertusa to Huesca
You might need some lip sunblock and maybe some lip balm on these stages, if you're like me. The sun can be powerful but the strong headwind can soon leave you with dry, chapped lips and blisters.

If you stay in the wonderful Pertusa Albergue, you must go sink a few beers in Pepe's bar. It's a unique experience! Find the secret entrance opposite the church, with a beer logo over the front door. It feels a bit like my days as a student back in Bradford, when you hunted down 'illegal' pubs in people's living rooms for after hours sessions til dawn the next day. Nothing illegal about this place, just different!

I have nothing but great things to say about the village of Pertusa. The albergue is fabulous, the welcome warm, Pepe's is unique and all was good. Just remember that there are no shops and nowhere to buy food, so you need to bring supplies with you. And you will also need supplies for the next day, too, as there is nothing that I saw anywhere between Pertusa and Huesco.

I left after scrambled eggs and coffee 😀 after 7.00am. There was blue sky but it was bitterly cold when I set off, with a strong headwind all day adding a wind chill factor. 7kms and some tarmac and dirt track later, you pass through the tiny village of Antillon, where there are no facilities but a fabulous view from the top, with mountains in the distance. Next, you get onto a dirt track for the 11kms towards Pueyo de Fananas. This section is fantastic, as you walk along a ridge, with mountains to one side and rolling fields to the other. Flowers are in full bloom at the moment all along the track. There were no shops or bars in Pueyo de Fananas either, or in the next village, Ola. It was time to break out the emergency stash of chocolate bread rolls so survived.

The walk from Ola to Huesca is also very pretty. When you get about 6kms from Huesca, it'll be time to drop down off the high plain you've been walking on. Care will be needed on these steep narrow dirt paths, especially if it's wet, and walking poles will help. It'll take about 30 minutes of scrambling to get down. Then it's an easy 5kms walk to the Albergue. If you are in dire need of food and drink, Kitchen Nowa is almost the first building you come to. There's also a big supermarket a few hundred meters away from the Albergue front door.

It's a lovely albergue, with all mod cons so it should make for a nice stay. I've just got to work out what I need to buy for the next few stages, what there is to see, whether to press on after Bolea, which seems a short section. A quick tot up and about 240kms have been covered so far. Is there an official 'end' point on the Catalan?

I think it’s kind of neat that you can’t always just walk into the next supermarket/cafe/restaurant and grab a bite. Whilst I understand that it’s one of the things people like about the Frances, to me it makes the quieter Caminos a little more special, more meaningful. It’s nice to be more mindful sometimes, I feel it makes us appreciate life just that little bit more….

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Day 11 - Huesco to Bolea
On first aid. I don't carry much with me as anything you do need can be found in pharmacies in Spain. However, I do carry a few small things as it saves faffing when you most need something, especially in the middle of nowhere. I carry a mix of sizes of invaluable Compeed plasters, and had to apply the first one today, to a small sore bit on the side of my foot. I know you wanted to know that 😅. I've got a small tube of iodine, useful for any cuts and sores. I've got a small roll of zinc oxide tape for toes, applied the moment I feel a blister starting. I also have a tube of Gewohl cream for feet, a tube of Deep Heat, usually for when I can feel a muscle under strain and a tube of soothing cream that stops itching, for parts of the body that need soothing and itch-prevention from time to time 🤔.

The albergue is a classy place in Huesca and nice to stay in. There are plenty of facilities within a few minutes walk in this busy suburb. 10 minutes away is the centre of Huesca, which I didn't have the energy to visit yesterday. This morning, I left the Spanish pilgrim around 7.00am at the albergue, looking worryingly at an unhappy, swollen ankle. It's a real pain when you pick up an injury and have to decide what to do from a range of choices, all unpalatable. We'll see if he turns up later.

I passed through the centre, out to the other side quickly so have no idea if Huesca is just another shopping centre + church with yet another chain-smoking population of inhabitants? I'm assuming the health issues with fags have yet to reach most of the Spanish population? As I emerged from the city into the countryside, the dawn chorus was still erupting. However, I managed to drown out the racket by plugging in my headphones and putting the Cranberries on 😂. 5kms later, along a nice tree-lined dirt track and around a reservoir, I was in the pretty village of Chimillas.

The stork on the church roof was pointing in a particular direction. I followed it, and moments later came across the welcoming Bar Al Merca de Chimillas. I assumed this was a sign from God and felt blessed. I stopped for a couple of long coffees and a snack. The final destination isn't far today and I still feel a bit tired from the last two longish stages so am taking it easy today.

It's a really beautiful walk from here to Bolea; great mountain views, photogenic old abandoned bulidings, rolling countryside, a bit of a forest walk, dirt track - what more can anyone ask for? If I was being picky, I'd ask for Bolea not to be on big hill 😁 at the end of a 20km hike, but there you go.

As you approach the pretty village of Bolea, you'll see it's on a big hill 😂. It's not too bad to get up - shame the albergue is up to the top, then down on the other side and almost out the village, though 😁. There were a few bars in the centre, lots of narrow streets, some people wandering around looking up as tourists do, a food shop with not much in it, a pharmacy and a Tabac shop - both closed but may be open later. I bought some cinnamon bread, good wine, some oranges and nuts for the next few days from the shop, as emergency rations, just in case. I wouldn't rely on stocking up here if that's what you were planning to do (as I was - whoops) - bring at least a few dried instant carbohydrate meals from Huesca if you think you'll need them. The Tabac shop may open later and you might be able to get a sandwich wrapped up at the bar - but don't think, 'supermarket' here.

The albergue in Bolea is good. There are some recent negative comments about the place in the comments book by a few people, but being a man of simple pleasures, I think for the €10 that's being asked for, they're talking b******. There's a working shower, toilet, a functional small kitchen plus dining area with small hob, microwave and fridge, plus a huge wonderful suntrap of a terrace. The bedroom is upstairs and is fine. It's 5 - 10 minutes to the bars, depending on whether you are going downhill or uphill 😂.

That's about it. The decision tomorrow is whether to stop after 15kms in e.g. Sarsamarcuello and maybe visit the famed Loarre castle, or press on a bit further, possibly as far as La Peña. Splitting it up might even allow a side trip to the famed Riglos area. I'm pretty sure I have enough food for at least 24 hours, maybe 48 hours at a push but I suspect it won't come to that. I've looked around for a description of the next few stages, options, experiences etc but without much luck. Any pointers or suggestions gratefully received (before tomorrow 😂).

Day 11 - Huesco to Bolea
On first aid. I don't carry much with me as anything you do need can be found in pharmacies in Spain. However, I do carry a few small things as it saves faffing when you most need something, especially in the middle of nowhere. I carry a mix of sizes of invaluable Compeed plasters, and had to apply the first one today, to a small sore bit on the side of my foot. I know you wanted to know that 😅. I've got a small tube of iodine, useful for any cuts and sores. I've got a small roll of zinc oxide tape for toes, applied the moment I feel a blister starting. I also have a tube of Gewohl cream for feet, a tube of Deep Heat, usually for when I can feel a muscle under strain and a tube of soothing cream that stops itching, for parts of the body that need soothing and itch-prevention from time to time 🤔.

The albergue is a classy place in Huesca and nice to stay in. There are plenty of facilities within a few minutes walk in this busy suburb. 10 minutes away is the centre of Huesca, which I didn't have the energy to visit yesterday. This morning, I left the Spanish pilgrim around 7.00am at the albergue, looking worryingly at an unhappy, swollen ankle. It's a real pain when you pick up an injury and have to decide what to do from a range of choices, all unpalatable. We'll see if he turns up later.

I passed through the centre, out to the other side quickly so have no idea if Huesca is just another shopping centre + church with yet another chain-smoking population of inhabitants? I'm assuming the health issues with fags have yet to reach most of the Spanish population? As I emerged from the city into the countryside, the dawn chorus was still erupting. However, I managed to drown out the racket by plugging in my headphones and putting the Cranberries on 😂. 5kms later, along a nice tree-lined dirt track and around a reservoir, I was in the pretty village of Chimillas.

The stork on the church roof was pointing in a particular direction. I followed it, and moments later came across the welcoming Bar Al Merca de Chimillas. I assumed this was a sign from God and felt blessed. I stopped for a couple of long coffees and a snack. The final destination isn't far today and I still feel a bit tired from the last two longish stages so am taking it easy today.

It's a really beautiful walk from here to Bolea; great mountain views, photogenic old abandoned bulidings, rolling countryside, a bit of a forest walk, dirt track - what more can anyone ask for? If I was being picky, I'd ask for Bolea not to be on big hill 😁 at the end of a 20km hike, but there you go.

As you approach the pretty village of Bolea, you'll see it's on a big hill 😂. It's not too bad to get up - shame the albergue is up to the top, then down on the other side and almost out the village, though 😁. There were a few bars in the centre, lots of narrow streets, some people wandering around looking up as tourists do, a food shop with not much in it, a pharmacy and a Tabac shop - both closed but may be open later. I bought some cinnamon bread, good wine, some oranges and nuts for the next few days from the shop, as emergency rations, just in case. I wouldn't rely on stocking up here if that's what you were planning to do (as I was - whoops) - bring at least a few dried instant carbohydrate meals from Huesca if you think you'll need them. The Tabac shop may open later and you might be able to get a sandwich wrapped up at the bar - but don't think, 'supermarket' here.

The albergue in Bolea is good. There are some recent negative comments about the place in the comments book by a few people, but being a man of simple pleasures, I think for the €10 that's being asked for, they're talking b******. There's a working shower, toilet, a functional small kitchen plus dining area with small hob, microwave and fridge, plus a huge wonderful suntrap of a terrace. The bedroom is upstairs and is fine. It's 5 - 10 minutes to the bars, depending on whether you are going downhill or uphill 😂.

That's about it. The decision tomorrow is whether to stop after 15kms in e.g. Sarsamarcuello and maybe visit the famed Loarre castle, or press on a bit further, possibly as far as La Peña. Splitting it up might even allow a side trip to the famed Riglos area. I'm pretty sure I have enough food for at least 24 hours, maybe 48 hours at a push but I suspect it won't come to that. I've looked around for a description of the next few stages, options, experiences etc but without much luck. Any pointers or suggestions gratefully received (before tomorrow 😂).
My notes about the section for Bolea to Sarsamacuello re availability of food (culled from various posts on this forum) are to buy food in loarre (on the way) buy lunch, dinner and breakfast for Sarsamacuello
+ lunch/dinner/breakfast for Ena (+ lunch for walk after Ena).
On way – food/bars at Anies (1 shop), Loarre (all services), Sarsamacuello– no services at all.

Hope this is helpful.

My notes about the section for Bolea to Sarsamacuello re availability of food (culled from various posts on this forum) are to buy food in loarre (on the way) buy lunch, dinner and breakfast for Sarsamacuello
+ lunch/dinner/breakfast for Ena (+ lunch for walk after Ena).
On way – food/bars at Anies (1 shop), Loarre (all services), Sarsamacuello– no services at all.

Hope this is helpful.
It's very helpful indeed. Many thanks. I've just emailed Sarsamacuello, to see if they think the social club will have dinner on in the evening. It will be Saturday after all 🤣. Can a man live on nuts, oranges, cinnamon bread and water alone?

PS I've just had a reply, that the Social Club will be serving food from midday to 6.30pm tomorrow, so decision made: Bolea - Castle Loarre - that long named place beginning with S that I can't pronounce anyway.

Last edited:
decision made: Bolea - Castle Loarre - that long named place beginning with S that I can't pronounce anyway.
Good choice. I've not seen any indication of lodging in La Peña but I believe there is one bar and a bakery. More of a village than a town. Next day not far from Sarsacumuella is a ruined castle on the camino and not very far afterwards there is a side trip to Mirador de Buitres, Vulture Lookout. At your daily distances you should have time for a visit but I skipped it so I can't say if the walk is worth it. I stopped at Ena's lovely albergue. The village houses are being fixed up for family weekends but there isn't anything in town. Botaya's lodging may be open for the weekend if you want to go further but call because it is something like a camp and may be full. Again, don't expect much in town. After leaving Ena and passing through Botaya I picked up some sausage at the souvenir shop at the new monastery of San Juan de la Peña.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back