Jan 19, 2014
nadinewalks.com
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2014)
Norte/Primitivo (2015)
San Salvador (2016)
Le Puy-Cahors (2017)
Aragonés (2019)
I'm about to branch off to the Primitivo tomorrow, but this walk on the Norte has been incredible. All the posts on this forum were so helpful in planning- and a big thank you to everyone who helped out with albergue recommendations. I've stayed in some pretty incredible places, and the kindness of other pilgrims, hospitalero's, and the locals has continued to amaze me. It's been beautiful.

I've been blogging along the way, somehow managing to write a post every day; so if anyone is planning a walk on the Norte (or just wants some Camino reading), feel free to check out my blog!

singlestepcamino.wordpress.com

Buen Camino!
Nadine

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Kimberly Helen

Apr 16, 2015
Madrid, Spain
CF Leon-SdC (October 2014), Portugues Porto-SdC (June 2015), Norte/Primitivo (July/August 2015)
What perfect timing! I'm going to start the Norte on Wednesday and have been scavenging online for as much info as possible :D Just off to read your blog now (and since I also plan to continue onto the Primitivo, look forward to reading your updates.) Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

NadineK

Jan 19, 2014
nadinewalks.com
Frances (2014)
Norte/Primitivo (2015)
San Salvador (2016)
Le Puy-Cahors (2017)
Aragonés (2019)
What perfect timing! I'm going to start the Norte on Wednesday and have been scavenging online for as much info as possible :D Just off to read your blog now (and since I also plan to continue onto the Primitivo, look forward to reading your updates.) Buen camino!
Kimberly I hope the blog helps! It's been such a wonderful experience... Buen Camino!

smj6

Siempre hay que ver el positivo
Jun 24, 2014
Haute Savoie, France & Umbria, Italy
Oct/Nov 2016 (Via Podensis/ Frances)
Oct 2018 (Via Francigena stage)
...I've been blogging along the way, somehow managing to write a post every day; so if anyone is planning a walk on the Norte (or just wants some Camino reading), feel free to check out my blog! singlestepcamino.wordpress.com Buen Camino! Nadine
Started reading your blog, and then got sidetracked by this article of yours written last year: "Endless coffee, top bunks, and delirium; 7 things I miss about the Camino". I enjoyed it, and liked the photos that you included.
Buen Camino for your present pilgrimage, Nadine.
Suzanne :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Justin N.

Jun 30, 2015
Pleasant Grove UT.
Camino del Norte (September 2015)
I really enjoy reading your words about your experience. It brings great insight to me, so I feel I will be better prepared for the same Camino del Norte this September, but I'm doing it by bike, but will probably be alone for most of it as well. I have spent a lot of time up north in some of the bigger cities as well as Santiago de Compostela, but that was 13 years ago, so i'm super excited to be back and experience it in a different way. I'll continue to follow your posts. Thanks again

Reactions: Mike Savage
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

walkmag

Sep 15, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
leon to Santiago (2006),
SJDP to Santiago (2009)
Porto to Santiago (2010)
Minturno to Rome (2012)
Siena to Rome (2012),
Fidenza to Siena (2013)
Lausanne to Fidenza (2014)
Bilbao to Ribadeo Sept (2015)
CMD Maybe (Sept 2016)
I'm about to branch off to the Primitivo tomorrow,

I've been blogging along the way, somehow managing to write a post every day; so if anyone is planning a walk on the Norte (or just wants some Camino reading), feel free to check out my blog!

Buen Camino!
Nadine
love reading blogs thanks for posting :)

Reactions: NadineK

sharon w

Jan 2, 2009
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
Hi Nadine,
love your blog. I will be walking the del Norte and Primitivo in October/November this year.
Sharon

EMILE M

Apr 2, 2015
SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA
I WALKED THE ENTIRE CAMINO FRANCES IN FALL 2011, ALSO I WALKED FROM LE PUY EN VELAY TO CAHORS, FRANCE IN MAY, 2013 (About 350 Km) I PLAN TO WALK THE CAMINO DEL NORTE IN MID SEPTEMBER (2015)
I'm about to branch off to the Primitivo tomorrow, but this walk on the Norte has been incredible. All the posts on this forum were so helpful in planning- and a big thank you to everyone who helped out with albergue recommendations. I've stayed in some pretty incredible places, and the kindness of other pilgrims, hospitalero's, and the locals has continued to amaze me. It's been beautiful.

Buen Camino!
Nadine

Buen Camino!
Nadine
Hi Nadine
Thanks for sharing your Camino, I am planning to start my Camino del Norte on September 16th. Still debating whether to branch off to the Primitive, or continue on the Camino del Norte. On your (well-written) blog, your first impressions of the Primitivo sounded like a bit of a let down when compared to the Camino del Norte. Knowing what you know now, would you still do the Primitivo, or would you chance the del Norte?

LadyBoadicia

Dec 6, 2014
Frances (June 2010, from Sarria), Norte/Ingles/Finisterre/Muxia (July-August 2015)
Nadine, thank you so much for your blog! I've really enjoyed it and it's allayed my fears about finding accommodation on the Norte (which I was kind of worried about...) I leave for Bilbao tomorrow... Eek/can't wait!!!
-Bethany

danielefumagalli60

Jul 26, 2015
Camino del Norte on June Juli 2015 Next will be camino de la Plata. 3 yes ago the French one, twice
Hi Nadine
Just to share your feeling, back to home since last tuesday and my soul is still on the caminodelnorte!
Amazing, real rude and nice at the same time, fantastic landscapes, and even if cold, si into the ocean has been a must.
Now we are planning for next year the camino de la Plata. We'll see.
If you wants to see some pictures I shared here:
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=albums&v=photos#cid=B814283EED6499C2&id=B814283EED6499C2!6452&v=photos
BUEN CAMINO SEMPRE!

Buen Camino!
Nadine

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

NadineK

Jan 19, 2014
nadinewalks.com
Frances (2014)
Norte/Primitivo (2015)
San Salvador (2016)
Le Puy-Cahors (2017)
Aragonés (2019)
Hi Nadine
Thanks for sharing your Camino, I am planning to start my Camino del Norte on September 16th. Still debating whether to branch off to the Primitive, or continue on the Camino del Norte. On your (well-written) blog, your first impressions of the Primitivo sounded like a bit of a let down when compared to the Camino del Norte. Knowing what you know now, would you still do the Primitivo, or would you chance the del Norte?

Hi Emile,

Sorry for the very late reply to this (finally getting home and settled after all the traveling!). You've asked a really, really good question: Norte or Primitivo. It's true that when I left the Norte, I was hesitant about my decision, and my first days on the Primitivo felt a little lonely and isolated. Some of this could have been that I was in a big group of Spanish speakers who were having a ton of fun, and I just couldn't understand what was going on. I also didn't have anyone familiar around me, and it was mentally/emotionally a bit difficult to accept that I had left behind my "people" (by walking more quickly and also by choosing to take the Primitivo). But these could very well be my own issues, and certainly have been when it comes to being alone vs with others on my Caminos.

That being said, I AM so glad that I walked the Primitivo. I still wonder what the rest of the Norte was like, and just might do the entire thing one day; but I was very happy to have chosen to walk the Primitivo. The mountains were beautiful (even though the supposedly most beautiful day was full of fog and clouds for me); and I felt that I was around more people, which was an adjustment, but also welcome. I think I had really built up the Primitivo in my mind and from what I had read, and I suppose it was just a bit of a 'let down' compared to my expectations, but then again I was blown away by sections of the Norte, so maybe my expectations were just too high. The first few days of the Primitivo were just okay, but in the middle I had a few absolutely stunning walks.

This is a very long winded reply, but I have to say, I still think it's a toss-up. I'm not sure if I made the "right" decision (but what ever is the right one?); I truly think that either way would have been great. If you're still undecided when you head to Spain, I would just wait and see how you feel when you approach the turn-off for the Primitivo, and make your decision then. I've found that going with your gut is often the best approach. :)

Thanks for the message and for reading my blog, it was so much fun to write!

Buen Camino,
Nadine

NadineK

Jan 19, 2014
nadinewalks.com
Frances (2014)
Norte/Primitivo (2015)
San Salvador (2016)
Le Puy-Cahors (2017)
Aragonés (2019)
Nadine, thank you so much for your blog! I've really enjoyed it and it's allayed my fears about finding accommodation on the Norte (which I was kind of worried about...) I leave for Bilbao tomorrow... Eek/can't wait!!!
-Bethany

Hi Bethany, I guess you're on the Norte now... I hope it's a great experience for you!!

Buen Camino,
Nadine

NadineK

Jan 19, 2014
nadinewalks.com
Frances (2014)
Norte/Primitivo (2015)
San Salvador (2016)
Le Puy-Cahors (2017)
Aragonés (2019)
Hi Nadine
Just to share your feeling, back to home since last tuesday and my soul is still on the caminodelnorte!
Amazing, real rude and nice at the same time, fantastic landscapes, and even if cold, si into the ocean has been a must.
Now we are planning for next year the camino de la Plata. We'll see.
If you wants to see some pictures I shared here:
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=albums&v=photos#cid=B814283EED6499C2&id=B814283EED6499C2!6452&v=photos
BUEN CAMINO SEMPRE!

Thank you for sharing your photos, I can't wait to look at them. And now that I'm home, I agree with you... my soul is still on the Camino (for me, it's on both the Norte and the Primitivo). What a great experience!!

Thank you for your message and Buen Camino :)
Nadine

A selection of Camino Jewellery

EMILE M

Apr 2, 2015
SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA
I WALKED THE ENTIRE CAMINO FRANCES IN FALL 2011, ALSO I WALKED FROM LE PUY EN VELAY TO CAHORS, FRANCE IN MAY, 2013 (About 350 Km) I PLAN TO WALK THE CAMINO DEL NORTE IN MID SEPTEMBER (2015)
Hi Emile,

Sorry for the very late reply to this (finally getting home and settled after all the traveling!). You've asked a really, really good question: Norte or Primitivo. It's true that when I left the Norte, I was hesitant about my decision, and my first days on the Primitivo felt a little lonely and isolated. Some of this could have been that I was in a big group of Spanish speakers who were having a ton of fun, and I just couldn't understand what was going on. I also didn't have anyone familiar around me, and it was mentally/emotionally a bit difficult to accept that I had left behind my "people" (by walking more quickly and also by choosing to take the Primitivo). But these could very well be my own issues, and certainly have been when it comes to being alone vs with others on my Caminos.

That being said, I AM so glad that I walked the Primitivo. I still wonder what the rest of the Norte was like, and just might do the entire thing one day; but I was very happy to have chosen to walk the Primitivo. The mountains were beautiful (even though the supposedly most beautiful day was full of fog and clouds for me); and I felt that I was around more people, which was an adjustment, but also welcome. I think I had really built up the Primitivo in my mind and from what I had read, and I suppose it was just a bit of a 'let down' compared to my expectations, but then again I was blown away by sections of the Norte, so maybe my expectations were just too high. The first few days of the Primitivo were just okay, but in the middle I had a few absolutely stunning walks.

This is a very long winded reply, but I have to say, I still think it's a toss-up. I'm not sure if I made the "right" decision (but what ever is the right one?); I truly think that either way would have been great. If you're still undecided when you head to Spain, I would just wait and see how you feel when you approach the turn-off for the Primitivo, and make your decision then. I've found that going with your gut is often the best approach. :)

Buen Camino,
Nadine
Thanks again Nadine for your feedback, I am 5 weeks away from leaving So Cal for Paris, then on to Biarritz to hop across the border and start my Norte journey. I have a
Hi Emile,

Buen Camino,
Nadine

Hello Nadine, I just now saw your feedback, looks like either way, it should be a fantastic experience. I agree with your comment about doing whats feels "right" in your gut! I'll leave San Diego for Paris on September 14 , hop on a plane to Biarritz on the 15th, so tentatively I will start my trek from Irun on the 16th or at the latest on the 17th of September. My Northern Caminos Guidebook covers both the Norte and Primitivo routes, so I'll play it by ear when I get to the proverbial fork on the road! Seems like either route should be amazing! Thanks again for your input. Cheers!

Most read last week in this forum

hello Pilgrims this is my 2nd Camino, but first time doing Camino Norte. Flying into San Sebastián Airport on Wednesday would like to start Camino in Pasaje to enter the coastal route . Would...
We are about to start our first Camino tomorrow morning and, after much getting lost, we are relaxing on our very comfortable beds at Hotel Urdanibia Park. My question is, do we start from where...
Hi, Im currently on the CDN at Sam Martin de Laspa. Has anyone done the Mountain route recently between Soto de Luina and Cadavedo. Some guides say it’s impassable but others say it’s not? Would...
Hi Everyone, As a follow up of my post https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-del-norte-smaller-stages-baggage-transport.85025/#post-1225909, here is the feedback from my first...
I just want to share with you, This Friday I will be off to CDN. It's very special because I have cancelled it twice in the past due to events out of my control. This will be my first Camino...
Hi all, I would like to give my poles away to another pilgrim. I will be available 15 May in Bilbao. The poles worked great until I didn't (tendinitis. It is all good, It is going away)...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.