• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Live on Víe de Bayona - six days so far on route to Burgos

PilgrimPillar

Rota Vicentina, fisherman’s trail, is sweet...
Time of past OR future Camino
Please come with
suggestions….
Thx….!!
Happy to give feedback and answer questions as it is mars 2024 and the walk from Bayonne has unfolded a full week tomorrow…..

Only one hickup and that was message back to me not forwarded correctly with my Norwegian sim……Camino angel followed up!!

Picture from this morning out of Zanduondo….
IMG_2973.jpeg

((Irún was buzzing to that degree me being happy going to Andoain))

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
11/3/24

Víe de Bayona day one - Bayonne to St Jean de Luz - 23 kilometers

It has been lot of rain in Bayonne lately. Swollen river nearly breaching barriers….deep standing water in streets aswell….took quiet route towards Biarritz so not to be oversprayed by passing traffic….

Storm «Monica» is the cause of flooding and high tide……four people died more inland IMG_2695.jpegby accidents related…..on off rain but totally doable when hiding within the shelter of my poncho …..Village Bidart was a pleasant surprise….good people all around…..

Got a list of auberge between Bayonne and Irun….no excuses not to embrace the Atlantic before setting course inland and Burgos….Víe de Bayona it is🙏🏼

12/3/24

Víe de Bayona day two - St Jean de Luz to Irun

23 km

Last day with the waves as soundscape ?
Very quiet and comforting walk near to them braking which one loves👍

Met Luis fram Brazil in Irún….as of now we are three in the formidable albuerge….have not greeted him yet but hospitaliero Phillipe said he came from USA….cosmopolitan crew 🙏🏼

Epilog - «and suddenly we where ten»….two dutch women…one german female ….one elderly spaniard pluss two younger friends…catalan?….one french couple …..all equals to much🫣….for me that is😂

IMG_2739.jpeg((Edit note ;Excellent hospitaliero and very good albuerge !))

Epilog 2 - three more…..included a female pilgrim in white pants……that is going to last long…..white pants…..madre mia..🤔

Nope …but El Norte have traction…..I see there is a few in front of me earlier this yetar from after Vitoria and know of three behind me👍
Walked that route last year. Loved it. Have you encountered many pilgrims? I sure didn't.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
13/4/24

Víe de Bayona day three - Irún to Andoain

30 kilometers

In reality, I was done after 10 km. Had to walk through different lows for many hours, so some uplifting news was very welcomed towards ending my day walking like a duck 😊

The valley system, green as it is, consist of a string of villages/small cities evenly spaced. So it is possible to make changes when due. That is if you’re not stupid like me and making arrangement hard to change.

Food and restitution. Let’s see what tomorrow brings. Ultreia et Suseia!

((Edit note; I’m in restitution after two hip surgeries))

View attachment IMG_2791.jpeg

Last edited:
Moderators….picture upload is canceling itself and link is not popular….what to do?
I am not a moderator.

Possibly it is that your data link is unreliable or very slow and that is causing the upload issues.

Occasionally if a photo is too large you can have issues but this is rare if you are taking photos with your phone and then uploading from your phone.

How did you take the photo?

Are you using WiFi at an albergue or bar?

Are you using a local Spanish SIM card for your data connectivity or perhaps are you relying on data roaming using your non-EU mobile phone service provider?

If you describe the equipment that you are using then someone may be able to diagnose the issue.

I am not a moderator.

Possibly it is that your data link is unreliable or very slow and that is causing the upload issues.

Occasionally if a photo is too large you can have issues but this is rare if you are taking photos with your phone and then uploading from your phone.

Are you using a local Spanish SIM card for your data connectivity or perhaps are you relying on data roaming using your non-EU mobile phone service provider?

If you describe the equipment that you are using then someone may be able to diagnose the issue.
Thx caminande🙏🏼

Orange 5G on Norwegian sim so will experiment more tonight….upload 4K video to YouTube was smooth sailing so left me wondering…..thx again!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
14/4/24

Víe de Bayona day four - Andoain to Beasain

33 kilometers

It has to be said…..walking deep into a valley system like I’m doing now has it upsides aaaand downsides….urbanism…not everyones cup of…something…🤔

Personally I enjoy “man made nature», especially intustry and suburbia in the twilight zone , being left behind by modernity and «progress». Not sure what’s appealing about levels of decay and desolation but that’s me….

I think people live healthy here….little or none garbage….tidy all over….a lot more industrial areas than expected support local economies I guess…

One negative observation…people tend not to greet strangers very much….but I greet passers by all the same and hope to leave a glimmer of impact…or be it for a nano second😅

Plus is FANTASTIC albuerge in Beasain…a must!IMG_2834.jpeg

15/4/24
Víe de Bayona day five - Beasain to Zanduondo

34 kilometers

The scenery today!! Wow….it’s like the camino started for real! Confirming the “realness”, I also managed to get totally of course and had to conquer thorn brushes and the “extended family” in attempt traverse , foolishly so, back on track. So much for nothing ….once the mind goes, being in the moment, not having perspective of where once are? It is a good sign is it not? Totally exhausted but a beautiful day.IMG_2929.jpeg

16/4/24
Víe de Bayona day six - Zanduondo to Vitoria-Gasteiz

36 kilometers

Nippy start with some serene “Camino moments “……was down on strength from yesterday and was hit 10’ k on……had rests throughout the day to contemplate and overcome….changed innersoles among smaller details….hard to reconcile that 36 was my average mai 2016 and 8 years later it’s back to square one…..aaaand I am grateful being about so do not mistake me for whimperish 🙏🏼 !!!View attachment IMG_2967.jpeg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
17/4/24

Víe de Bayona day seven - Vitoria-Gasteiz to La Puebla de Arganzón

22 kilometer

Still affected and down on energy. As stages go ….?….slowly out of Vitoria, up in the lush hillside , then downhill and passing through clean, well kept villages filled with sandstone buildings….pictures tells the story …..had a longer talk with a solo day walker and two hombres firmly positioned in the saddle of impressive horses….seems like it’s a popular route net around here….aaaand friendly people😉IMG_3030.jpeg

I am not a moderator.

Now it’s smooth….SOMEone has done SOMEthing…😅

18/3/24

Víe de Bayona day eight - La Puebla de Arganzón to Pancorvo

36 kilometers

Better flow from mid-day…….stopped whenever I found a bar…..that ment visiting the hospital and a motorway gas-station….😇……nice finale with sharp-edged ridges hovering above Poncorvo……IMG_3053.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
19/3/24

Víe de Bayona day nine - Pancorvo to Briviesca

26 kilometers

Short but tuff day all the same, with footarches aching in a way not experienced earlier days…..monotony is perhaps the real killer since it was no place for coffee along route?

Super nice atmosphere and quite buzzing city center of Briviesca…..wow…albuerge with a washing machine….just for me…🫣…..bought lavador for the clothes and will be able to look aaaand smell half way decent again….good times!!

Picture from corn storage with pro lighting this morning….impressive as a proud cathedral …

IMG_3117.jpeg

20/3/24

Víe de Bayona day ten - Briviesca to Ciudad de Burgos

34 kilometers

Last two days there’s been veeery sleepy pueblos on route. No bar’s, no nothing yesterday. Had to await for 26 km today for the revelation of caffeine…:Not complaining! Point is, not taking rests like the day before is experienced very unwise for «feet welfare». Not same mistake twise right? So had two coffee breaks when opportunity arised from 26 to 34 today……also changed shoes aaaand cut it short total doable distance ….so to be somewhat safer…instead of pushing cathedral today….”sooo near right?”……that means 10 km something tomorrow and reshuffle of gear/correos with some kilos going home…..hopefully……landed at a business hotel with lots of cars parked in front, which is aaalways a good sign ….menú del dia at 13:30 easy choice ……”when in Rome, do as the…”….first off for me this time around….a great way to finish of the walking and to my liking of flow….state🙏🏼
IMG_3163.jpeg

Víe de Bayona day eleven -
Ciudad de Burgos - Centro de Burgos

13 kilometers

Strange day……mindset all over the place….I’m frank about it cause it’s bewildering and have not got a clue why/when/how…..searched old entry line to Burgos …..memoria from 2016…..only to be swarmed by hundreds of tractors and their owners taking over , causing traffic chaos….albuerge in Burgos….?…they unplanned had to open another level….say no more..buzzing !!!IMG_3221.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Víe de Bayona day twelve - Burgos to Hontanas

33 kilometers

The day had a totally different rhythm…..left Correos 11:30 after 1:20 of waiting and getting parcel home taken care of…….. it became warmer all through the day…..totally wind still…..had to fight a lot the last hour’s…..sunset at Hontanas made it worth the effort! Only three at Municipal….one theological phd and a lowkey and sympathetic guy from Palermo…..sunburn unfortunately….Vamos!

IMG_3285.jpeg

Víe de Bayona day thirteen - Hontanas to Frómista

37 kilometers

The “one eighty” today is evidently confirming psychosocial importance during physical activity…..negative mindset turned around when Duracell rabbit Laura from Barcelona caught up with me after approximately 16 kilometers. She was/is a true Camino angel with humour and good vibes…..lot of memoria all day….brain putting old images back in my consciousness ….2016 and 2021 together like an unsorted stack of cards …..I truly like the openness of the different Meseta plateaus…

IMG_3293.jpeg

Víe de Bayona day fourteen - Frómista to Calzadilla de la Cueza

38 kilometers

Even though company is soooo sweet, it’s soooo hard when more than two…….I just floated up in front and slid away from caminandes and understanding to keep it short…..coffee break, two museums and a gift store later I walked on….

Easy to say hello….
Hard to say goodbye….

“Sancta Laura” and her impact will stay with me long I think🙏🏼

6c82766b-f247-48a1-b5ed-f4bcdc4f572d.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Víe de Bayona day fifteen - Calzadilla de la Cueza to Calzadilla de los Hermanillos

36 kilometers

Walked with Daniel/USA one third, Anna/Germany one third and shared a meal with them both. Parted way cause me wanting to go Via Romana, an alternative path. Found one typical Roman milestone The primary route walked three times before so ….Some worries on/off with hip pain beaming down left side. Good with ample restitution and recovery!! Albuerge all by my self but 10 in guest book yesterday🙏🏼
IMG_3463.jpeg

Víe de Bayona day sixteen - Calzadilla de los Hermanillos - Ciudad Léon

44 kilometers

My mother died at 2:55 p.m.

Sidsel Margrethe Rist.

Got a notification at 01:25 last night with no details of seriousness. Could not sleep and started walking 02:30

Texted in the morning without any further responce and not knowing anything more until now.

My tears during night hours, despair and confusion today on foot had a meaning, I understand now.

It was also God's providence that I got possibility to talk and discuss with a caminande while walking.

Forever grateful to Candice from South Africa who lost her father short time ago. By that the openness and sharing in between us..
🙏🏼

The Camino provides…
🙏🏼🙏🏼

Started filming Candice when snow came in León at 02:56 p.m.IMG_3515.png

44 kilometers

Sidsel Margrethe Rist.

Got a notification at 01:25 last night with no details of seriousness. Could not sleep and started walking 02:30

Texted in the morning without any further responce and not knowing anything more until now.

My tears during night hours, despair and confusion today on foot had a meaning, I understand now.

It was also God's providence that I got possibility to talk and discuss with a caminande while walking.

Forever grateful to Candice from South Africa who lost her father short time ago. By that the openness and sharing in between us..
🙏🏼

The Camino provides…
🙏🏼🙏🏼

Started filming Candice when snow came in León at 02:56 p.m.View attachment 166769

God bless you.

🙏🏾❤️🙏🏾

€83,-
Víe de Bayona day seventeen - Ciudad Léon to Hospital de Órbigo

33 kilometers

My mood was like the wind ending the day…..totally quiet to very forcefull……all the same, my way of the path today I still felt in place and reconciled….strange sensation…

Tears suddenly there to be quickly gone again…..turmoil of memoria….then silence….

The weather forecast is supposed to give peregrines on two huge challenges the coming days….I care….but do not….?…if that makes any sense….reflecting to be more “in situ” now…..

What better place to mourn what was….and was not to be….??…I truly believe that I am where I am supposed to in this moment in time ….and my mother does not struggle anymore🙏🏼

Rest her soul🙏🏼🙏🏼

God protect me and let me be kind to those that moves me further🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼IMG_3555.jpeg

Alfredo and I played “rabbit and the turtle” all day…..slow is fast….

44 kilometers

Sidsel Margrethe Rist.

🙏🏼

The Camino provides…
🙏🏼🙏🏼

Started filming Candice when snow came in León at 02:56 p.m.View attachment 166769
Strength and Camino hugs 💔

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back