London to Leon

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Tincatinker

Veteran Member
Jan 9, 2012
West Sussex, England
Time of past OR future Camino
I’m looking to walk the Camino de San Salvador in May 2023. Has anyone got experience of making the trip from London to León?
Fly Madrid; bus from the airport to Leon or train.
Though the walk would be magnificent

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Helen1

Jun 24, 2014
London, UK
London to Santiago (2014)
Narbonne to Oloron (2015)
Camino Portugues (2016)
Sentier Cathar (2017)
Flying to Madrid probably is the easiest option with the most flights. Train and bus from Madrid to Leon are both pretty easy. I've flown in the evening, stayed at the hotel above the station and then taken the train the following morning to reduce transfer stress. Buses are also pretty easy although timings of the bus from the airport didn't work well with the time of our [cheap] flights on our last trip so we flew to Oviedo.

Depending on where you're based flying to Oviedo is a nice option and I think it's easier flying to a small airport. You need to get a bus from the airport to Oviedo (if going peak season try and get off the plane and into the bus queue quickly, the bus to the city filled up quickly and many people had to wait an hour for the next one) and then train or bus to Leon. We took the train from Oviedo to Leon last time, it takes ages but it's a magnificent trip over the mountains. (I think Madrid is quicker if you're pushed for time).

Can't say I would recommend cycling London to Leon. Far more interesting/scenic places to spend a couple of weeks cycling!

Reactions: Steve Bunn

cardifflad52

Apr 3, 2013
Cardiff Uk
Sept 2015 Inglis Way , March 2022 Camino Frances
I’m looking to walk the Camino de San Salvador in May 2023. Has anyone got experience of making the trip from London to León?
Yes I got a flight to Madrid then the coach at the airport you have to book that on line with ALSA they also have the timetables

Reactions: Steve Bunn

cardifflad52

Apr 3, 2013
Cardiff Uk
Sept 2015 Inglis Way , March 2022 Camino Frances
Yes I got a flight to Madrid then the coach at the airport you have to book that on line with ALSA they also have the timetables
When coming out of Madrid arrivals you need to go to the lower floor and outside you see all the buses I went down in the lift myself

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dec 31, 2017
booked to do Lugo-Santiago June 2018
I'm doing that in a couple of weeks time. I have booked a Ryanair flight from Stansted to Asturias (Oviedo) which is the Primitivo. Then I have booked with Alsa bus to Leon which was 18euros (its actually 2 buses but 1 booking. Alsa bus to Oviedo then another to Leon) distance from Oviedo to Leon is about 116km whereas Madrid to Leon is 338km. Because I walked in July from SJPDP to Mansilla de las Mulas I have 2 nights in Leon 11euros each night to allow me to Alsa bus 1.75euros back to Mansilla after 1st night in Leon so I can continue from where I left off and walk back to Leon for another night then continueon my Way....

Last edited:
Reactions: Debora

Debora

Beautiful Burgos
Feb 22, 2016
Canfield, OH
SJPdP to Santiago May (2016)
SJPdP to Belorado May (2019)
RYAN AIR - non-stop London Stansted to Asturias Spain which is 120 km from Leon. Bus or train (or taxi) available to Leon. Fly Ryan Air non-stop back from Santiago.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
Hi , I'm looking for some advice. I'm flying to Madrid and catching a bus to Burgos to walk to León. I'm using a light weight foldable bag for my rucksack & poles but I would rather leave the...
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides