• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for a walking companion

lindamuchmore

Hi. I'm Linda. Very youthful 52. UK based but from NZ originally. Always wanted to do the Camino. Finally have the opportunity. But don't really want to walk it on my own. Planning to start in SJPP and take 4-6 weeks to Santiago. Open to the idea of cycling or camping or taking my dog. Any time from April 2012 to September. Anybody care to join me? Or allow me to join them? Look forward to hearing from you. Happy 2012.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Linda...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

I'm sure that, as you continue to plan your Camino...and interact in the Forum, you will become aware of fellow pilgrims that will be walking the Way...when you choose to start. May I suggest that you keep all options open. You will develop your own pace and time table. Some days you'll be with the same folks and then not see them for several days.

Enjoy the flexibility and adventure of letting the Camino decide.

Buen Camino,

Arn

lindamuchmore said:
Hi. I'm Linda. Very youthful 52. UK based but from NZ originally. Always wanted to do the Camino. Finally have the opportunity. But don't really want to walk it on my own. Planning to start in SJPP and take 4-6 weeks to Santiago. Open to the idea of cycling or camping or taking my dog. Any time from April 2012 to September. Anybody care to join me? Or allow me to join them? Look forward to hearing from you. Happy 2012.

Yes we have a dog too & would love to take her, but the risk of her fighting or more correctly having to fight would be too stressful for all of us, & to be fair, not sure it's fair on the local canines. Our Audrey would enjoy it a lot, would howl when teathered-up a distance away. So she will be left with friends sadly. Sadly also, Audrey is doing all the training with me, walking most days & a 10miler once a week, which needs to increase soon too.

I'm 58 from Papakura lived in England 30odd yrs. Hope you find a walker-partner or find another way to go. We set off from Astorga on April 1st! planes all booked. Just need to book bus from Madrid Airport to Astorga for the middle of the night!! To start walking @ about 4am!

Good luck, David

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Linda, I'm leaving SJPP on 8th September as I believe is Yvonne and overnighting at Orisson. You'd be welcome to join in although as Arn suggests everyone's pace is different. I'm leaving UK for Biarritz on the 7th and taking the train to SJPP before leaving the next morning.

Hope something works out for you.

Linda, I would strongly advise against planning on walking the Camino with someone, unless you've spent lots of time walking with that person previously. The Camino had almost 200,000 people walk it last year. You're NEVER alone in the peak months (March-October).

I did walk it with my wife, Jane, and it worked out very well, but we've spent 37 years together doing such things. I hiked the 3000 Km of the Appalachian Trail alone and that also worked out well. Even on the AT, I ended up hooking up with other hikers, it is something that just happens. Even though Jane and I were hiking together, we ended up walking with many new friends and finished with all of them as if they were family.

You'd have to work very hard to avoid making friendships on the Camino. It is perhaps the most engaging group of people I have ever encountered. Leave your heart and mind open to meeting people and you won't regret it.

Dennis, "K1"

Linda! good for you for walking the camino! Its such an amazing & rewarding experience you will never forget. As for walking with someone - you honestly meet so many people on the way & in hostals in the evenings that to commint to someone might hinder you a bit frm the whole experience. Maybe you should watch The Way (the new camino film - he actually wants to walk alon but struggles to do it cos theres such a general buzz on the route!)

Enjoy it all - I wish I was joining you!

Lynn (NIreland)

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
lindamuchmore said:

Linda: I will be walking from Pamplona to Santiago, leaving April 11th. Walking alone (against my family's better judgement!) ... I have never attempted anything like this alone or otherwise, but am looking forward to it. Hope to see you along the Way.

dear agony aunt
i too am looking for a walking companion
the guy at the hiking store said
get a set of pacer poles
they support you and never give up
? was he being rude
kind regards
tamtamplin
dear tamtamplin
go with the poles
if you dont like them you can just toss them over a cliff
not so with the human variety
.....or maybe....
aunt aggie

Hi Linda,

I'm from the UK and I'll be arriving in SJPP on the 19th May 2012
I Will be starting my Camino on the 20th May..
I Will be walking and I've aloud six weeks to do the walk..

Happy planning :)

Bryan

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Bryan
So are you planning to walk on your own, or would you like company? Everyone tells me you meet lots of people, and I am sure you do (having seen the film), but equally, I thought it would be nice to at least START with someone. Your profile seems to suggest you are from Hampshire and I live in Exeter which isn't that far from you. So many questions. Have you started training? I haven't, though I do cycle every day and do exercise so I'm not completely unfit. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Linda

BlackDog said:
Linda, I'm leaving SJPP on 8th September as I believe is Yvonne and overnighting at Orisson. You'd be welcome to join in although as Arn suggests everyone's pace is different. I'm leaving UK for Biarritz on the 7th and taking the train to SJPP before leaving the next morning.

Hope something works out for you.

Hi David
Thank you very much for your reply. If I don't get to do it before September then you may find me joining you. I have seen the film The Way, and I know one meets lots of people along the way, but I just don't fancy starting out on my own. It would be so much more exciting to start out from England with someone. I wonder also if there is an issue with safety for women on their own. Anyway, many thanks again. Have you done the Camino before? Is yvonne the lady who emailed me from NZ? How are you getting to Biarritz? I live in Exeter which isn't too far from you.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Linda

lindamuchmore said:
It would be so much more exciting to start out from England with someone. I wonder also if there is an issue with safety for women on their own. Anyway, many thanks again. Have you done the Camino before? Is yvonne the lady who emailed me from NZ? How are you getting to Biarritz? I live in Exeter which isn't too far from you.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Linda
Hi Linda. Yes Yvonne is the lady from NZ. I'm a complete newbie and 67 so not intending to rush away. I've booked RyanAir from Stansted, as my sister lives nearby, to Biarritz. I've started my conditioning walking but nothing longer than 5.5 miles so far - plenty of time to go.

Be lucky.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola Linda, and others looking for a friend to walk with. Can I suggest that you read the Walking with a Companion thread. It might help as you think and make plans.
Buen Camino - with or without a companion.

Hi Linda,

I'm Flying out from Stansted at noon on the 19th May..
I'm looking at taking a Taxi from Biarritz to SJPP where I've made a reservation at the Hostel
http://www.espritduchemin.org

I've taken the decision to stop at the Hostel Orisson Refuge
http://www.refuge-orisson.com

If these dates and times are good for you? feel free to PM me.

Speak Soon

Bryan

Linda, if you live in Exeter you might look at flights from Bristol as well as London.

You can get from Biaritz to SJPP via a bus that goes from the airport to Bayonne railway station and then take a train to SJPP, it will be cheaper and you will meet pilgrims on that train.

Booking into Orisson is well recommended by members of this forum but it does get full and needs to be pre-booked. The albergue, Chemin d_E Spirit in SJPP is also highly recommended but needs also to be pre-booked. http://www.espritduchemin.org/

There is a thread about women and safety - use the search engine and it will turn up - but it is worth remembering that incidents against the number of women walking is very low. Use the same common sense on the Camino as you would in a city centre and you will be fine.

I prefer to walk solo but if you do have a companion do not be afraid to work out where you are staying the night and getting there at your own pace.

I would not take a dog as many of the dogs I have encountered in Spain are more aggressive than in England. They tend to be used for guarding property or as farm dogs rather than pets.

Have no fears, the Camino is an experience and while it will have some stress that is far outweighed by what it brings to the spirit.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back