• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for advice walking from Lisboa

dalessandrodd

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned Camino Frances in May 2023
We are starting our 2nd Camino at the end of May starting is Lisboa (Last year we walked the Camino Frances). We believe that this part of the camino starting from Lisboa is less supported than the Frances. Being older walkers we like to stay in single rooms with a private bath. Should we be looking for a rooms now for most of hike towards Porto and prebook them now before we leave or like we did last year , plan out a day or two fo reservations. WE believe between Porto and Santiago, it will be easier to book rooms on that section *(Coastal) a day or two like we did on the Frances. Thanks for any advice, especially from Pilgrams that had walked this section at this time of the year. Bon Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We are starting our 2nd Camino at the end of May starting is Lisboa (Last year we walked the Camino Frances). We believe that this part of the camino starting from Lisboa is less supported than the Frances. Being older walkers we like to stay in single rooms with a private bath. Should we be looking for a rooms now for most of hike towards Porto and prebook them now before we leave or like we did last year , plan out a day or two fo reservations. WE believe between Porto and Santiago, it will be easier to book rooms on that section *(Coastal) a day or two like we did on the Frances. Thanks for any advice, especially from Pilgrams that had walked this section at this time of the year. Bon Camino
The first thing I would say is that you should absolutely make sure to stop at the newly opened Pilgrim Office in Lisbon. I’ve given all the details here.

I think that there’s nothing wrong with booking a couple of the first few stages, and then talk to the people in the office to see what they recommend.

Bom caminho!

The first thing I would say is that you should absolutely make sure to stop at the newly opened Pilgrim Office in Lisbon. I’ve given all the details here.

I think that there’s nothing wrong with booking a couple of the first few stages, ane then talk to the people in the office to see what they recommend.

Bom caminho!
That is great Information and we were not aware of a Pilgrim office in Lisbon. Thank You Very much.
Do you have any suggestions on where to stay in Lisbon? we will be staying in the town for 2 days before we start our Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That is great Information and we were not aware of a Pilgrim office in Lisbon. Thank You Very much.
Do you have any suggestions on where to stay in Lisbon? we will be staying in the town for 2 days before we start our Camino.

Lisbon is a tourist magnet, so every possible type of accommodation is available, from very expensive historic buildings to low cost youth hostels. What are you looking for?

I haven’t stayed here, but for me, a good place to start my caminho would be from a place like the Pensāo da Prata, on the Rua da Prata. Family owned, nothing fancy, not too expensive, great location (very close to the cathedral, which is the starting point). But there are so so many options, that I would take a look on booking and see what you like and then look for the hotel websites on google and contact them directly. As far as neighborhoods, I think the Baixa area is the best location for people walking from Lisbon and wanting to be in a good location to tour the sites as well.

And if you are going to be in Lisbon for two days, what better way to get prepped for a caminho than to walk up and down the Lisbon hills. I know this is a very very old thread, but I have put together a walking tour of Lisbon that takes in most of the big sites with a few exceptions and will give you a good hill workout. Since the monasteries, churches, lookouts, etc are all in the same place they were in 20 years ago, the route is still a good one, IMHO.

I would contact Ellie Bieling, elle@pilgrimagetraveler.com. She has two very detailed ebooks at a reasonable price. One is Lisbon to Porto and the other is Porto to Santiago. If you are going to stay in Verdelha de Baixo, I would make a reservation in advance. Last spring the place was full of construction workers, so not much was available. If you do stay there, the restaurant A Lanterna was one of my favorites on the Camino Portugues. It is a working man's place. The food was good and plentiful and the prices were reasonable. Also nearby is a store Auchan. It has anything you will need, but the best part is a fresh orange juice machine!

Hi @dalessandrodd! I just rewalked the routes from Porto to SdC last Sept/Oct and the Lisbon to Porto route in April!

I did not want to carry any bedding so we booked exclusively in private albergues with sheets provided or family run, inexpensive hotels with private rooms/baths. I assure you it can be done!

We only booked out 2-3 days ahead depending on how many beds were available where we were planning on staying. It was definitely more crowded on this Lisbon to Porto section than I have ever seen it!

Alvaiázere was a pinch point, but Alvorge was worse. We chose the private Albergue in Alvorge and there is only one place with private rooms. Since you are staying in private rooms you will have more choices, so I believe you will be fine! Also, we did non-traditional stages, with in between stops that were less crowded. That really helps!

Do make a spreadsheet or list of your planned stages and accommodation so every night you can quickly book the stage a few days ahead. But allow for some flexibility if something changes your plan. We met a couple who booked out their entire Camino to SdC and she got horrible blisters so they ended up just moving forward without walking.

Good luck, and if you want to see more info, click this link https://www.pilgrimagetraveler.com/camino-portugues.html

Ultreia! Elle

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We just booked rooms along theh path up to Santiago.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We walked from Lisbon and stayed mostly in Pension type accommodation. We never had problems finding a bed even after Porto. We never booked ahead.

I forgot to say that you may wish to shorten your stages whenever possible, as the heat, sweat and rough cobblestone streets created blisters in almost everyone I talked to! Me included!!
We were planning to walk roughly 14 miles per day on average like we did on the Camino Frances last year. The Guide by John Brierley seems to have much longer stages. We are in no hurry and want to enjoy the Camino

We booked an apartment for three days in Lisbon by booking.com, just 50 meters from the Sé cathedral where our Caminho started. We had time to do some sightseeing.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I just finished my first Camino. I was on the Portugues route from Porto to Santiago: Coastal till Vila do Conde after that Central till Santiago. I would love to give back some of the...
Hi, I am trying to book at Pilgrims Nest/Ninho and I have a What's App phone number of +351 916 866 372 but no response and I tried calling and it sounds like a bad number. I also had this number...
For those on the Camino Portugués traditional route coming through Ponte de Lima, Portugal, I’ve noticed some pilgrims are using maps/apps that have them cross on the ‘new’ (highway) bridge, which...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back