• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Loved the Primitivo in 2014, so where next...?

pattimlin

First-time Pelegrino from Dublin
Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo, 7-20 September. 2014
Here's a question for seasoned pilgrims:

Last year I did my first Camino on the Primitivo, from Oviedo to Santiago. I loved it - particularly the challenging terrain, the lack of crowding on the route, the scenery, etc.

So, this year, I would like to return, but I'm not sure which Camino to do. I can spend 2-3 weeks, probably early September. What would experienced pilgrims recommend that would give a similar experience to the Primitivo?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Baztan from Bayonne to Pamplona is similar but would only chew up a week at most.
Salvador from Leon to Oviedo is also similar....there goes another few days;-)

Here's a question for seasoned pilgrims:

Last year I did my first Camino on the Primitivo, from Oviedo to Santiago. I loved it - particularly the challenging terrain, the lack of crowding on the route, the scenery, etc.

So, this year, I would like to return, but I'm not sure which Camino to do. I can spend 2-3 weeks, probably early September. What would experienced pilgrims recommend that would give a similar experience to the Primitivo?
Hi, pattimlin,

I haven't walked Primitivo yet, but is on my plan and I've read almost all of it here on the Forum so I can say to have pretty good picture of it. Therefore I would suggest, at given time frame, Camino de Invierno which I walked past July. It's about of the same profile, lots of ups and downs with some great views. And almost no other pilgrims. As I remember from the statistics from Pilgrim Office in SdC around 100 people walked it last year. Well, at least so much have been officially included in this report (I wasn't, because I didn't want Compostela...). The route is surprisingly well marked and people along the route are extremely nice and helpful. It took me 14 days but could be walked in less, so that leaves some more time to walk Muxia/Fisterra in your case maybe. The only minus for someone can be lack of albergues but there are plenty of other possible acommodations. You can read more about it in Invierno section. Here's the link to my experience on Invierno (start day-by-day diary by post #12, with photos and GPS tracks included):
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-camino-de-invierno-july-2014.25355/
If you have more questions about it I'll be happy to help.

Ultreia!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Kinky has a great idea. The Invierno is beautiful. It has been getting a lot more press recently, so there may be an uptick, but you are unlikely to meet any/many other pilgrims. The marking was very good when I walked several years ago, and I liked it so much I'm going back in July.

I'm almost done with the revisions to Rebekah's Invierno guide and will be posting the new version soon. But if you would like to see a copy of the "almost done" version, just send me a PM with your email address. I have incorporated a lot of Kinky's comments, as well as the comments of a number of forum membrs who walked in 2014.

The Salvador (Leon to Oviedo) is also awesome, more mountains than either of these, but it's only going to be 4 days or so. Do you want to end in Santiago? Because if not, the Aragones has a lot of the same features, but it's shorter. But you could backtrack and add on some of the Camino Catalan to intersect with the Aragones and get your 2-3 weeks that way. Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.