• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage Transfer from Le Puy En Velay to St Jean Pied de Port

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Fin/Muxia CI CPr 2022
Via Podiensis CF 2024
We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before and after our Camino.
We hoped to be able to send our suitcase from Le Puy to St Jean, using La Poste, as we had done from Barcelona to Ivar in Santiago using Correos in 2018, when we walked the Camino del Norte!
On Friday morning we went to La Poste Principale in Avenue de la Dentelle in Le Puy with our suitcase wrapped in cling wrap, as advised by Ivar for sending suitcases to Santiago, and well labeled to our accommodation in St Jean, which we had previously booked and arranged with our hostess. She was happy to accept our suitcase and hold it for us for the five weeks while we are walking the Via Podiensis.
Our 19 kilo suitcase, one smaller suitcase inside a larger suitcase plus contents, only cost just over 35 Euros to send.
We were very pleased at how easy it was to do this and how helpful and efficient the staff at La Poste were.
We will confirm it’s safe arrival in due course.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That's a great outcome @Anne&Pat I find La Poste to be a good service and the staff always helpful. But usually with Poste Restante they can only hold bags for about 2 weeks. To have a hostess in SJPP happy to accept your suitcase and hold it for 5 weeks is excellent. And just shows that it's always worth asking.

PS We (Australian / French couple) have been living on the Le Puy Way for the past year - about 3 weeks down the path from Le Puy en Velay - but we are leaving in early May - otherwise I'd suggest a catch up.

Bon chemin. It's a wonderful path.

That's a great outcome @Anne&Pat I find La Poste to be a good service and the staff always helpful. But usually with Poste Restante they can only hold bags for about 2 weeks. To have a hostess in SJPP happy to accept your suitcase and hold it for 5 weeks is excellent. And just shows that it's always worth asking.

PS We (Australian / French couple) have been living on the Le Puy Way for the past year - about 3 weeks down the path from Le Puy en Velay - but we are leaving in early May - otherwise I'd suggest a catch up.

Bon chemin. It's a wonderful path.
Thanks Pelerina, yes, it certainly was a good outcome. Sorry we can’t catch up at the start of May but your many posts on the Forum have been very helpful to us in our planning for this walk. Just completed Day 2 and are relaxing in Monistrol d’Allier! Tomorrow will be another challenging day. Weather has been amazing the last few days but it is supposed to change on Tuesday and we could even be in for some snow on Wednesday! We are really enjoying the walk so far in beautiful scenery.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That's wonderful to hear. Even further along the track where we are, we have seen quite a few pilgrims in recent days Today was very hot. They looked a bit shattered. There are some tough stages in the first week or more. Take care. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before and after our Camino.
We hoped to be able to send our suitcase from Le Puy to St Jean, using La Poste, as we had done from Barcelona to Ivar in Santiago using Correos in 2018, when we walked the Camino del Norte!
On Friday morning we went to La Poste Principale in Avenue de la Dentelle in Le Puy with our suitcase wrapped in cling wrap, as advised by Ivar for sending suitcases to Santiago, and well labeled to our accommodation in St Jean, which we had previously booked and arranged with our hostess. She was happy to accept our suitcase and hold it for us for the five weeks while we are walking the Via Podiensis.
Our 19 kilo suitcase, one smaller suitcase inside a larger suitcase plus contents, only cost just over 35 Euros to send.
We were very pleased at how easy it was to do this and how helpful and efficient the staff at La Poste were.
We will confirm it’s safe arrival in due course.
This is great to hear @Anne&Pat ... I have often wondered if it still worked like this after my friends did exactly the same as you back in 2017 ... really very helpful to know this and thank you for taking the time to tell us🙏🏽

Thanks for the information. My wife and I are planning to walk from Figeac to STDP this time next year and we were wondering if we could move a bag as you have done. We are finishing the walk off having done the leg from Le Puy to Cahors in 2015. I do recall that the first couple of weeks were difficult especially when climbing out of villages each morning. Certainly gets the heart rate up. Enjoy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back