• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage Transfers on Via Francigena

Next Spring my wife and I are planning to walk the Via Francigena from Lucca to Rome. We plan to arrange our own accommodation. Can anyone advise if there are companies who do luggage transfers, as can be arranged on the Camino Frances for example. Some contact details would be appreciated if available.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I didn't use transfers, so I can't recommend any to you, but I saw they they were used along that entire length, so I know they exist. I hope you succeed in contacting them.

I have never used baggage transfer [simple statement of fact]. But I am sure Sandy Brown's guide gives details.

Here are three, but I am not in a position to give a recommendation:

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You can also try Beppino Transfer services https://www.beppino.net/ And if that doesn't work for you, and you have prebooked accommodation, you could ask your hotel to transfer your luggage to the next place you're staying in.

I've used Bags-free who were professional though a bit expensive. Lucca is the start point for such services for them and Sloways.

I also used Poste Italiane for a one-way transfer of some luggage from Rome to Brindisi using the Poste Restante system which they term Fermoposta. It nearly went wrong when I opted for normal post (12 days) rather than Express (5 days). PI will hold the package for up to 10 days. Fermoposta cost is an additional €3.00 over the shipping charge so quite economical - if you get the service choice correct.

Have used Posta Restante in Portugal, Greece and now Italy. A very old type of service but it still works as the item arrived each time.

Attachments

• Package in Brindisi.JPEG
    Package in Brindisi.JPEG
    1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Just finished the VF today. Took three trips to the continent to “git ‘er done”, but I staggered into the piazza and got the “Testimonium” from the cloakroom guard who stamped my credentiale and made me fill out my own certificate. When he saw I started in Canterbury two years ago, he gave me a big smile, pointed at me and flexed his biceps. Rather different from my receptions in Santiago for the Frances and Portuguese caminos. 😂😂

Only had a couple of hotels along the route offer baggage service (which I declined). Both hotels were in the stretch from Siena to Roma, so, as noted by others, there are services available. Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Next Spring my wife and I are planning to walk the Via Francigena from Lucca to Rome. We plan to arrange our own accommodation. Can anyone advise if there are companies who do luggage transfers, as can be arranged on the Camino Frances for example. Some contact details would be appreciated if available.
I just created a thread on this. Bags Free now does day by day luggage transport. In the past, you had to use them for your whole trip and make arrangements for all the transport in advance, but now you can use them as little or as much as you want, and book just the night before.

Most read last week in this forum

We (my husband and I) are in Peronne right now on the Via Francigena. After the camino frances and camino portugues we wanted to try something different. Last year we walked from Canterbury to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back