• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mark from Pennsylvania

Englishprof302

Time of past OR future Camino
First camino, Frances, September 2014
Greetings! I am set to begin walking on September 24, hoping to finish sometime around October 30-November 1. I have been planning this pilgrimage for the past 15 months or so, and now the reality of the camino is looming just two months hence. With all the reading I've done and the videos I've watched, I sort of feel that I have been on the camino every day for over a year! I'm sure the reality of the thing will dwarf anything I've seen or read. I'm walking because I felt God's call to take a long walk with Him. I have recovered from a lengthy illness; I am alive by what I can only describe as a miracle, so I am primarily walking the camino to listen, pray, and discern what God wants me to do, what new purpose might be for my life.
Anyway, a question or two: I want to see the botafumiero in action. I have read somewhere (perhaps this forum) that it is being swung on Fridays after the evening mass. Is that true? Also, I understand that the botafumiero is swung on holy days like November 1, which is All Saints Day. Is it swung as all masses on those holy days or just once? Thanks for any information.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Botafumeiro
Botafumeiro1.jpg

The Botafumeiro (literally ‘smoke spreader’ in Galician) is one of the most famous and popular symbols of the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela. This is a huge censer that swings up the aisles of the Cathedral through a pulley system pulled by eight men named tiraboleiros. It weighs 53kg and measures five feet. It is suspended from a height of 20 metres and can reach a speed of 70 miles per hour.

The Botafumeiro is used for liturgical purposes (in the same way as a priest would normally incense the altar) on the following Feast Days:
  • The Epiphany of the Lord – 6 January
  • Easter Sunday
  • The Ascension of the Lord
  • The Apparition of the Apostle – 23 May
  • Pentecost Sunday
  • The Martyrdom of Saint James – 25 July
  • Assumption of the Blessed Virgin – 15 August
  • All Saints – 1 November
  • Christ the King
  • Immaculate Conception – 8 December
  • Birth of Jesus – 25 December
  • Transfer of the body of the Apostle – 30 December
It currently is scheduled to swing at the 1930 mass on Fridays. It swings at any mass when someone pays for it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It swung the three times I was in the cathedral in June. Seems like it swings most days. I didn't meet anyone who missed it.

I wish you a safe trip. Please keep us posted. I will do the same next year sept to oct about 21 days starting in Burgos. I will follow your updates maybe to see how the weather is at that time. Where to fly to, i am in Florida. I am so exited for you and glad you are well. God bless you on your way. Buen Camino

Greetings! I am set to begin walking on September 24, hoping to finish sometime around October 30-November 1. I have been planning this pilgrimage for the past 15 months or so, and now the reality of the camino is looming just two months hence. With all the reading I've done and the videos I've watched, I sort of feel that I have been on the camino every day for over a year! I'm sure the reality of the thing will dwarf anything I've seen or read. I'm walking because I felt God's call to take a long walk with Him. I have recovered from a lengthy illness; I am alive by what I can only describe as a miracle, so I am primarily walking the camino to listen, pray, and discern what God wants me to do, what new purpose might be for my life.
Anyway, a question or two: I want to see the botafumiero in action. I have read somewhere (perhaps this forum) that it is being swung on Fridays after the evening mass. Is that true? Also, I understand that the botafumiero is swung on holy days like November 1, which is All Saints Day. Is it swung as all masses on those holy days or just once? Thanks for any information.

this is a great question because I would love to see it swung also...I am not walking until next year but am learning as much as I can before that. Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We were there on the 29th May after walking from Roncesvalles and much to the disappointment of every body in the packed Cathedral, it did not swing. O well, that means we will have to walk the Camino again next year with the hope of seeing it swing then.
http://tamborinetosantiago.blogspot.com.au/

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.