• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medical help Valenca

KDK

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
Hello all, I’m a first time peregrina walking solo on the Portugues Central route. I have injured my right knee and cannot walk. I can barely hobble right now. Since the weekend is coming up I thought it might be best to try to get some medical assistance in Valença on Monday, 6 May. I am from the US and have never used any medical facility in the EU so am totally ignorant. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks so much. And Bom Camino to all!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Do you have travel insurance? Give them a call and see what they advise.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, I’m in a rather isolated area right now and don’t really feel up to traveling. Want to rest a couple of days to see if that helps at all. Am planning to leave tomorrow probably by taxi. Can’t walk to bus. Could go to Ponte de Lima for medical help tomorrow. Should I try hospital; do they have urgent care centers? Does it matter that tomorrow is Saturday or will everything be open? Since my mobility is so limited I want to know the best options so I don’t use up my energy without achieving anything, if that makes sense.

Well, I’m in a rather isolated area right now and don’t really feel up to traveling. Want to rest a couple of days to see if that helps at all. Am planning to leave tomorrow probably by taxi. Can’t walk to bus. Could go to Ponte de Lima for medical help tomorrow. Should I try hospital; do they have urgent care centers? Does it matter that tomorrow is Saturday or will everything be open? Since my mobility is so limited I want to know the best options so I don’t use up my energy without achieving anything, if that makes sense.

I do hope that you are not all alone by yourself in the middle of nowhere, and that there are people nearby who can help you. let them get you in a taxi to the ER this afternoon for a check-up first.. and after that you can return to rest, resting is always good. good luck! and have google translate eng- port ready on your phone.

Where are you right now? Valença?

We need to know where you are to tell you what your options are.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
here you go, machine translated:

my knee hurts badly and I cannot walk. o meu joelho dói-me muito e não consigo andar.
I need to see a doctor urgently. necessito de consultar um médico com urgência.
please, can you help me and order a taxi? Por favor, pode ajudar-me e pedir um táxi?

I’m in Corgo at the Estabulo de Valinhas. When staff return this afternoon I will ask to have a taxi called to go to Ponte de Lima. Any specific suggestions on where I should be seen there??

I’m in Corgo at the Estabulo de Valinhas. When staff return this afternoon I will ask to have a taxi called to go to Ponte de Lima. Any specific suggestions on where I should be seen there??

Please keep us posted.

Get help as soon as possible.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My sympathies with you @KDK. I had a wrist-breaking fall in an albergue on the Frances last Oct, so I know what it’s like to pick up an injury and need to seek medical help on Camino. If it’s any comfort - and no guarantees of course - but there should be some staff at the hospital who can speak English with you when you’re there. Do take your passport, a credit card (just in case), and any paperwork re private travel insurance covering medical assistance that you might possess.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Hospital Conde de Bertiandos | ULSAM

Telefone: (+351) 258 909 500
E-mail: administracaopl@cham.min-saude-pt

Morada:
Rua Conde de Bertiandos, n.º 168
4990-078 Ponte de Lima

dept URGENCIAS

One of our group had a fall in Porto at the start of our walk. An ambulance was called, she was treated in a local hospital in Porto then joined us that evening. She was stitched up she managed and gradually recovered. We walked to Valenca where she spotted a hospital. So she popped into the ER had the stitches removed and we walked on across the border into Spain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Also, if Corga is just outside Freixos (looks like it on the map), there is a family health clinic as extension in Freixos (closer):

Centro de Saúde de Ponte de Lima​

+351258909280
Open till 8 tonight.

Best of luck!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Have just completed the Portuguese Coastal route and needed medical support at Viana do Costello hospital.
The dressings had to be checked and renewed for about a week, so onwards from there I went to medical centres at Vigo and Pontevedra in Spain.

The initial report from the hospital was very helpful in getting nursing treatment in both places. Staff were very kind and helpful and without it I wouldn't have been able to proceed. Staff at the Farmacia can also offer limited help

back home now and a quick check at the local medical centre and all is ok.

Best wishes

Thanks so much for all advice and suggestions! Two injections at the Ponte de Lima hospital and two prescriptions for the next few days and I am feeling much better! Will be going very slowly for the next week and using other transport as well but I will be continuing the Camino, hopefully onward to Santiago. @RoseirasM glad everything worked out for you! Fingers crossed that all will be well going forward. Also looking forward to the beautiful weather this coming week!!! ☀️☀️☀️

Hello all, I’m a first time peregrina walking solo on the Portugues Central route. I have injured my right knee and cannot walk. I can barely hobble right now. Since the weekend is coming up I thought it might be best to try to get some medical assistance in Valença on Monday, 6 May. I am from the US and have never used any medical facility in the EU so am totally ignorant. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks so much. And Bom Camino to all!!
Walk into nearest pharmacy and ask them for guidance. The pharmacists are the most knowledgeable with what facilities are available in the area..

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I wasn’t sure where to post this so mods feel free to move it. This year I’ve had more than one person in my group complain because the pork they ordered was “raw” and they have sent it back to...
[Moderators, feel free to move this if I posted in the wrong place.] What does it take to be able to walk a Camino after a heart problem? I guess I will see for myself. Tomorrow morning I am...
Promised to take my daughter with me when doing the GSB on the Swiss/Italian border. She has been doing a lot of walking in preparation but now has terrible blisters. Searching the threads here...
I am about three weeks out on the Norte averaging close to 30 to 35 kms and at this point aside from blisters, I haven’t had a lot of physical issues. I have one week left with a flight booked...
There's always somebody posting about dropping out, or taking a break because they're injured, myself included. There seems to have been a few more than usual just lately, although perhaps that's...
I've just returned from the San Salvador/Primitivo and have got Giardia from drinking untreated Water. I filled a bottle in Tineo as the Bar owner said it was good water/better than his Tap. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.