• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mike, Ireland, Learning to walk again

mike2step

Hi Everybody
My admiration for everybody on here who are thinking of walking and those that have already walked on the Camino knows no bounds.
I hope in the next 9 months to walk part of it myself but still have a long way to go.
At 53 I had let myself go with work and other reasons to years of virtual inactivity which led to the point where I weighed over 20 stone.
The punishment this had on a 5'8" frame needs no explaining. Health problems went from Achilles damage to Pre-type 2 diabetes, high Cholesterol and high blood pressure.
After many false starts about 3 months ago I had the necessary cortisone pumped into my ankle and set off walking again (which I loved doing in my youth).
A mile was a struggle me for me in the beginning but eventually I began to come around a bit.
I've now done a few 5 and 6 mile walks and last Sunday did an 8 mile hike through forestry paths with my 2 dogs. I would be ashamed to walk on the roads with regular folk as to them it would probably seem as if I was stopped. I am lucky where I live as there are miles and miles of rural forest and mountain paths that are unknown and deserted and the dogs don't pass judgement on me.
I still get many aches and pains sometimes after a mile and more often after 2 or 3 but am battling away. If I try and speed up too much then the dreaded shin splints take over and bring me back down to earth very quickly. (any advice on that greatly appreciated)
I have also changed my diet completely and now weigh 17st 4lbs which is better but still very hard on the knees and other joints (as I found out when doing the 8 mile hike). The good point is most of the medication I was taking is now unnecessary and in the bin.
I've long looked from afar at the Camino in awe and have a lot to figure out yet as to whats best to eat and to wear etc and what distance I could cover each day etc but I WILL be there in the not too distant future. Maybe even bump into somebody on here in my travels.
Anyway apologies for the very long-winded introduction
Cheers
Mike

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
what distance I could cover each day
I would be ashamed to walk on the roads with regular folk
You are holding two incompatible concepts at the same time! :D

Erase the second one, and you will realize that only you can decide the first one. The Camino is a great training ground if you let it be. Completely ignore what others do. If you are only capable of 6 km in the beginning, well, just walk 6 km, and take the whole day to do it. If you take eight weeks to do what other do in four weeks, accept it as your camino. On the camino every morning you will have a motivation to get moving, as long as you don't sap your energy by worrying about what others think and do. After a few weeks of doing what you can, the stones will be melting away, and your conditioning will have improved. After 750 km, you might actually have the satisfaction of knowing that you did a day (or more) of what everyone else has been doing.

If you were to start an exercise program at the gym, would you expect to do fifty pushups like those in the exercise class? Many a camino has crashed because of expectations. Yours will be a success if you ensure that your expectations are reasonable for YOU.

Mike: It sounds to me that your camino has already started. Just like on the actual camino, every morning starts with one step. I try not to have too many expectations on my days...things can change fairly rapidly as all kilometers are not the same. Some days are harder, some days are easier. So much depends on the company, the elevation, the weather, the distances between villages....and most of all, you. I've had tough days because I was in a foul mood but it can be quickly changed by a kind word from a local or another pilgrim, a beautiful sunset or a nice glass of red wine.

Keep walking,,,it can only get better.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As stated by Falcon above, there is no shame in walking "as little as 8 kms". The Camino is a weird place of acceptance and non-judgement; old, young, pretty, ugly, fit or fat, there doesn't seem to be Ă  difference. If you've started walking with a

Envoyé depuis mon HTC Panache avec Tapatalk

Part 2

...you'll be ready in time. You'll be amazed at how quick your cardio improves on the Camino.

Envoyé depuis mon HTC Panache avec Tapatalk

Hi Mike,
As an overweight peregrina I found that walking poles especially helpful with 'the day in day out' type of load that the CF delivers on ones ankles, knees and hips. Despite being a pole sceptic at the start I really couldn't have completed the CF or any later pilgrimages without them. But this is a personal thing some people hate them. If you know someone who could lend you a pair of poles perhaps this may be of some help in your journey prep? If you do decide to try the poles out it's really important to learn to use them properly. My brother in law taught me but there are some good simple instructional videos on youtube-these can be brand/type specific so match search to whatever poles you've borrowed.
I was pretty unprepared on the CF but found, as mentioned by a previous poster, that one can walk (very slowly) into a fitness on any Camino. Preparing for later journeys I've found a useful weight lose technique is to weigh my fully loaded pack then use that amount as my target weight loss amount (so -pack weight in fat = like walking with no pack) this proved/s a powerful incentive to 'hang back' when the goodies are being dished out :wink:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Congrats on getting up and getting moving again! Walking is a great way to lose weight at a slow and steady pace. It'll start melting off of you. When I moved to Europe in 2001 I went from a size 14 to a size 6 in about 3 months just from walking and not eating fast food. It was crazy. Just keep moving (at whatever pace/distance you can handle) and it'll come. There is no need to feel required to do 25 km/day. Do what you can, you can't do more than that. I suspect that my camino will be slower than I originally anticipated because the weather here has been so wet I've not been able to train so I won't be in as good a shape as I'd hoped when I start. But I'm not worried. I'll take it day-by-day and listen to my body and stop when I need to and it will be fine. You can do the same. Good luck!

Many thanks for the swift replies. I stumbled across this site and forum by accident and that has been the best thing I've done in a long time. Yes I will try and do it at my own pace when the time comes. It does seem to be a totally unique experience and the advice here and on the site in general has already been invaluable. A lot to learn about food, clothing, footwear and how to carry a backpack. It is nice to know everybody will not be a well honed athlete whising past. I've a lot to do before I'm ready but am getting there. I haven't read up on the route and was afraid that I might have to cover a certain long distance each day or get stuck sleeping rough between towns or villages. I guess there must be accommodation in between. I suppose every day one can't feel the same level of energy and cover the same ground. I'd be interested to know what the average day distance is for somebody like me.

Hi Mike,
Welcome to the forum.Losing two and a half stone takes an awful lot of self discipline and I really admire you for it.

Cardinal Suenens used to say, "Blessed are those who dream dreams and work hard to make their dreams come true." You are in with those.

If you live anywhere near Dublin there will be a special Mass in St. James Church, St. James Street on the Sunday nearest the feast of St. James which is 25th July. Not sure if this year they will celebrate it on 22nd or 29th. |It is a good place to meet other pilgrims, get your passport and maybe your guide book.

You have already started on your journey.

Buen Camino,

lydia

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Lydia Gillen said:
Hi Mike,
Welcome to the forum.Losing two and a half stone takes an awful lot of self discipline and I really admire you for it.

Cardinal Suenens used to say, "Blessed are those who dream dreams and work hard to make their dreams come true." You are in with those.

If you live anywhere near Dublin there will be a special Mass in St. James Church, St. James Street on the Sunday nearest the feast of St. James which is 25th July. Not sure if this year they will celebrate it on 22nd or 29th. |It is a good place to meet other pilgrims, get your passport and maybe your guide book.

Buen Camino,

lydia
Very kind Lydia, thanks for the kind comments. I'm a few hours from Dublin but its not the end of the world, that Mass sounds lovely. I'll look it up.

Hi Mike,
I am going to be walking a portion of the Camino Frances in September or October 2013. Probably from Leon or somewhere west of there.

Weight and out of shape wise I know exactly where you are coming from. I started my journey back to health in March when I weighed 242 pounds, way too much for my 5'4" frame. Amazingly for a 61 year old that has been overweight for more than 30 years I didn't have high blood pressure, high cholesterol nor was I pre-diabetic. I did have runaway acid re-flux that even Rx medication and Tums didn't keep under control. I had a hard time walking from my car in to the building at work sometimes. And Lord help me if there was a fire drill and I had to go down the stairs instead of taking the elevator. :roll:

I too have changed what I eat. I use MyFitnessPal.com to track what I eat. I mean everything. It has been slow going but I have lost about 20 pounds so far. I figure I didn't put it on overnight and as long as it comes off I don't care how long it takes. Well I do, but I am trying to be patient! 8) Since changing what I eat my acid re-flux is almost totally gone, no more meds, and only flares up when I eat something I shouldn't.

I no longer get winded just walking around the block. I have walked as much as 4 miles (with some breaks because of the heat) with no ill effects. I had a struggle finding good shoes to walk in since my feet are one of the casualties of my excess weight. It is full on summer here right now, with the mosquitoes, so I am keeping the outside walking to a minimum and mostly walking inside. I work in a big building so a couple turns around the building fills my break times.

I am waiting until August for hiking boots. A birthday present to myself :D I would wait until next year but I am making a trip to Ireland in October and I want to do a bit of hiking while there, especially The Burren.

I consider all this as part of my Camino. The Camino is my 'carrot' that I dangle in front of my self to get me to get up and move.

You are to be commended for all the positive changes that you have made in your life over the last few months. So try and put all thoughts of embarrassment out of your mind. This is one place we differ. I have never been too embarrassed to do something just because of my weight. Well except wear a bikini (didn't that put a picture in your mind :lol: ).

I live in a beach town and I have heard many women much smaller than I say that they wouldn't go to the beach because they were too fat. How silly! I figure if I stay home and sit in front of the tube I am just going to get fatter. So I don my figure appropriate bathing suit and go. I think the point of all this rambling is that you shouldn't be embarrassed. You are doing something that even a lot of thin people wouldn't even think of doing. That said I really should get out to the beach more. Maybe tomorrow and a couple days this week after work.

If you need a cheerleader, we are a whole squad of them, here to cheer you on. You can do it. You do it at your own pace and for your own reasons.
I wish you well on your journey.

Thank you for the kind words Lydia. I didn't know about the mass in Dublin, I'm a few hours away but will look it up.
mike2step said:
Lydia Gillen said:
Hi Mike,

Buen Camino,

lydia
Very kind Lydia, thanks for the kind comments. I'm a few hours from Dublin but its not the end of the world, that Mass sounds lovely. I'll look it up.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You're inspirational, its not easy beginning again is it ? but its lovely to be out and about again especially in the summer.
I drove to the beach about 40 mins away from me one day but had only been walking about 5 weeks. Its a nice beach where you can drive on for a few miles. I drove to a very quiet part and parked the jeep, then walked 3 miles away from it as I turned to come back heavy rain began and I thought I'd never reach the car again. Also found the sand sliding underfoot was much harder than the road. It made it seem like 12 miles.
I was crippled for a few days.
I too will do a section to begin with.
Footwear and clothing are some of the many things I have to learn about. I haven't hit on the right shoe yet though.
WayWalker63 said:
Hi Mike,
I am going to be walking a portion of the Camino Frances in September or October 2013. Probably from Leon or somewhere west of there.

Weight and out of shape wise I know exactly where you are coming from. I started my journey back to health in March when I weighed 242 pounds, way too much for my 5'4" frame. Amazingly for a 61 year old that has been overweight for more than 30 years I didn't have high blood pressure, high cholesterol nor was I pre-diabetic. I did have runaway acid re-flux that even Rx medication and Tums didn't keep under control. I had a hard time walking from my car in to the building at work sometimes. And Lord help me if there was a fire drill and I had to go down the stairs instead of taking the elevator. :roll:

I too have changed what I eat. I use MyFitnessPal.com to track what I eat. I mean everything. It has been slow going but I have lost about 20 pounds so far. I figure I didn't put it on overnight and as long as it comes off I don't care how long it takes. Well I do, but I am trying to be patient! 8) Since changing what I eat my acid re-flux is almost totally gone, no more meds, and only flares up when I eat something I shouldn't.

I no longer get winded just walking around the block. I have walked as much as 4 miles (with some breaks because of the heat) with no ill effects. I had a struggle finding good shoes to walk in since my feet are one of the casualties of my excess weight. It is full on summer here right now, with the mosquitoes, so I am keeping the outside walking to a minimum and mostly walking inside. I work in a big building so a couple turns around the building fills my break times.

I am waiting until August for hiking boots. A birthday present to myself :D I would wait until next year but I am making a trip to Ireland in October and I want to do a bit of hiking while there, especially The Burren.

I consider all this as part of my Camino. The Camino is my 'carrot' that I dangle in front of my self to get me to get up and move.

You are to be commended for all the positive changes that you have made in your life over the last few months. So try and put all thoughts of embarrassment out of your mind. This is one place we differ. I have never been too embarrassed to do something just because of my weight. Well except wear a bikini (didn't that put a picture in your mind :lol: ).

I live in a beach town and I have heard many women much smaller than I say that they wouldn't go to the beach because they were too fat. How silly! I figure if I stay home and sit in front of the tube I am just going to get fatter. So I don my figure appropriate bathing suit and go. I think the point of all this rambling is that you shouldn't be embarrassed. You are doing something that even a lot of thin people wouldn't even think of doing. That said I really should get out to the beach more. Maybe tomorrow and a couple days this week after work.

If you need a cheerleader, we are a whole squad of them, here to cheer you on. You can do it. You do it at your own pace and for your own reasons.
I wish you well on your journey.

Hi Mike,

the woodland paths should give you a good approximation of a lot of the Camino paths in terms of surface. About six months before I walked the Camino Frances last year, I found myself experiencing pain and muscle stiffness due to a long period of inactivity. I had the opposite problem to yourself in that I was very much underweight. Like yourself, I started walking and eating healthier and soon found my legs growing in strength and the muscle pains and stiffness became less and less. It takes your body time to adjust but it will, just so long as you don't go stressing it too much too soon. It's taken more than a year, but I'm now back to a healthy weight and preparing to walk the Camino again.

In the end, the Camino is a personal journey and one that begins before you ever get to Spain.
Buen Camino,

Darran

Thanks
Getting more weight off my joints is helping a lot. Some days the shin splints are terrible especially if I become too exuberant at the beginning as I pay for it quickly. I now try to start steady and keep a regular pace. Learning bit y bit.
The paths are good here but very wet at the moment, June has been a terrible month. Climbing up hilly paths though is great for the lungs. you sound more than ready to take it on again.

(quote="dazzamac"]Hi Mike,

the woodland paths should give you a good approximation of a lot of the Camino paths in terms of surface. About six months before I walked the Camino Frances last year, I found myself experiencing pain and muscle stiffness due to a long period of inactivity. I had the opposite problem to yourself in that I was very much underweight. Like yourself, I started walking and eating healthier and soon found my legs growing in strength and the muscle pains and stiffness became less and less. It takes your body time to adjust but it will, just so long as you don't go stressing it too much too soon. It's taken more than a year, but I'm now back to a healthy weight and preparing to walk the Camino again.

In the end, the Camino is a personal journey and one that begins before you ever get to Spain.
Buen Camino,

Darran[/quote]

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.