• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Miles in May... Many of them.

HermanTheGerman

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances '13, '14; Portuguese '13, '14, '17, '18; del Salvador '15; Primitivo '15; Mozarabe '16
Greetings fellow pilgrims. One thing I've neglected to do is to post an introduction here and introduce myself. My name is Miles and I'm am a 42 yo Australian (part German) guy living in Germany. I'll be doing my first Camino in May, leaving St Jean Pied de Port for Roncesvalles via the Napoleon Route (weather permitting) on May 19. Ive read a lot of the very informative posts here from everyone (many thanks!) And have already learnt a lot about walking a Camino. Perhaps I'll see some of you along The Way. I do have the entire Camino Frances as an Alpine Quest contour map, as well as gps tracks for both routes to Roncesvalles as well as the entire track from Roncesvalles to Santiago de Compostella to share, if anyone is interested.

Buen Camino,

The German :smile:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Will probably meet! Leaving StJpdP on 17th! An Aussie/German... Interesting!! To a South African at least.. ;-/ (rugby)

Ok great, will keep an eye out for you. If I hear the roar of a rugby match I'll know where to find you! :-o ... that's if South Africa's playing of course :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You're probably right about that :grin: So how far are you planning on walking during the first few days?

I'm starting from SJPdP on the 10th of May, but intend spending a few days in Burgos with a friend. So I may well bump into you guys somewhere along the way. Look for a tired geezer with a forum patch on a blue bag.
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Re: Re: Miles in May... Many of them.

Al the optimist said:
I'm starting from SJPdP on the 10th of May, but intend spending a few days in Burgos with a friend. So I may well bump into you guys somewhere along the way. Look for a tired geezer with a forum patch on a blue bag.
Buen Camino
Hi Al, then I might be able to catch up to you guys in Burgos if all goes as planned. Perhaps I should get myself one of these patches too?

Buen Camino!

Hermano Herman. Yes you shouldget a patch as we need to support Ivan with his costs. Hope to see you. God it's only a little over a month at last!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey guys, ok I'm convinced. Where can I order one? Is it possible through the forum app or do I need to visit the website and find it there?

Oh Al the Optimist, I have loved your posts! Walk slowly! Would love to meet you! I will leave St Jean on the 16/17th. I will be the one with 2 kids (aged 11 and 14) and our friend, a pastor.

Herman, regarding "how far a day"... First day, we plan to do all the way to Roncevalles. Thereafter, 20- 25km per day. And a rest day where the vino and food and vibe is good! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

snijmann said:
Oh Al the Optimist, I have loved your posts! Walk slowly! Would love to meet you! I will leave St Jean on the 16/17th. I will be the one with 2 kids (aged 11 and 14) and our friend, a pastor.

Herman, regarding "how far a day"... First day, we plan to do all the way to Roncevalles. Thereafter, 20- 25km per day. And a rest day where the vino and food and vibe is good! :)
Then hopefully I'll see you where the good times roll! Do save a place :)

Miles

clearskies said:
Hey there Mr German

I'm getting one today. ;)

The Irishman
Hey there Mr Irishman,

My patch is on its way! :cool:

The German

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Al the optimist said:
Herman look at the top and click on "Forum Badge"
Thanks Al, I think this must have been the first time I've even visited the web site. Managed to buy one quickly through PayPal. Good setup.

I have to wait a little longer than you, but I'm getting excited and the feet are getting itchy. Maybe I should be wearing the flip flops in the shower? :shock:

Buen Camino

The patch turned up yesterday. Was thrilled to see the Santiago post mark on the front of the letter. Now its on the rucksack, in the perfect posi. Chuffed :razz:

Attachments

• 1365958372343.jpg
    1365958372343.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 528
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Al the optimist said:
Wear it with pride Herman. Show the world you are part of a great group of people. :)
I certainly will! I am already proud to be part of this forum and can't wait to get out there again and show the world. So now you know how to spot me. Looking forward to catching up. :smile:

Well here we are, with 8 days to go before the Camino begins... I'm quite happy with the pack weight which I've been regularly training with. 7.5 kg including water is no mean feat. I've reassessed my pack list about 100 times and am satisfied that its right... Or is there something further I can throw out of it? Managed to get sunburned last training 26er, which highlighted the importance of having also a uv protective long sleeve shirt which doubles as "evening wear". My new Salomon XAs which I thought were going to be ducks guts, brought on some ankle strain (mids) through the steep stuff and the stitching gave out already in the crease area. Packed them back into the box and sent them back today. The trusty Salomon quest 4d GTX will be coming along on this trip, offering me the ankle Support I need. The camo floppy I bought in the Greek islands for 5 euros still remains my fave. Ordered a pilgrims special taxi for the evening of the 18th from Biarritz airport to St Jean if anyone wants to split the ride. Waiting at the mo for my last massage before the Camino starts..

Welcome! I plan to be heading off to Roncesvalles from SJPP on 15 May, may meet up with you somewhere along the way. Buen Camino Peregrino! Mmmm! Not bad for a South African making attempt on some basic Spanish to an Aussie.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
WOW! I already feel that I have some new Camino buddies - sorry I mean mates for the Aussie and Amigos for everyone else, just from reading your posts on the Forum, Al the Optimist, Snijman, Hermanthegerman. I will be carrying a bright orange pack, with a flower on it and a white ribbon with the South African flag on it. I'm really hoping we get the opportunity to meet each other for REAL.

SandyCoolmama said:
WOW! I already feel that I have some new Camino buddies - sorry I mean mates for the Aussie and Amigos for everyone else, just from reading your posts on the Forum, Al the Optimist, Snijman, Hermanthegerman. I will be carrying a bright orange pack, with a flower on it and a white ribbon with the South African flag on it. I'm really hoping we get the opportunity to meet each other for REAL.

Hey there Sandy, I reckon there's a good chance of that. I'm going to have to pick up the pace a bit to catch up to you all, but the training has been paying off so so long as you lot aren't hell bent on laying down 30 clicks a day I'll probably see you somewhere along the beaten track. have preordered the pilgrim credential which will save some time in the morning in st jean, just needs to be stamped at Albergue du Pelegrin and head up to Roncesvalles as early as possible for the first night. Hoping for good weather of course to do the Napoleon. Have you got a forum patch on your backpack? That sounds like a Deuter SL with the flower if I'm correct? If not, bright orange will be hard to miss. It will be great to all meet up somewhere. Looking forward to it!

Buen Camino,

The German

Ready to rock! The time has come as I find myself sitting in Frankfurt airport waiting for the flight to Paris and then on to Biarritz... Can't believe the day has finally arrived, the endless months of working without holidays to be able to take enough time off to do the Camino. The last days have been a real struggle, but now its time for my soul to breathe once again. Hope to see some of you soonon the Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sitting in the alberge da fuenta in los arcos, freezing my nuts off. The last few days have felt like the ice age, and what's with this global warming thing? That has to be a joke, surely it can't be true. Nexto stoppo, vianna and what a surprise, the weather forecast says it'll be cold and shitty. Sunday's looking up though, so have my fingers crossed... 20 degrees and sunny, hmm must be some sort of cruel hoax I reckon. Brr, must put the beanie back on.

€46,-
Update! The sun just came out... Must run quickly back up to the dorm to get the Speedos, we are in Europe after all ;)

clearskies said:
It must be me coming over to Logrono that is making the sun come out ha

You don't know how true that really was. Coming out of los arcos this morning was dismal, rain, wind and very cold... Jacket on, jacket off, jacket on, jacket off, jacket on, jacket off... Just before we hit Sansol the sun came out and formed a perfect double rainbow directly over the way. It lifted our spirits tremendously. Tomorrow, Logrono before Navarette, weather's looking up!

Attachments

• 1369510736481.jpg
    1369510736481.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 329
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Attachments

• 1369511280645.jpg
    1369511280645.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 377
Life is like a rainbow, you need both the sun and the rain to make its full colour appear.

You're staying in Naverette? I'll pop around the albergues and see if I spot you as I pass through :)

Oh and more sun predicted for tomorrow :)

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
In navarette at the mo, checked into la Casa el Garageo, otherwise known as alberge del pelegrinos. Seems like a temporary setup, and not in the brierly bible. Got a private room which seems to have recently been inhabited by grandma as her clothes are still in the wardrobe and I'm sharing the bathroom with the hospitalerio. Not too crazy on his choice of aftershave or shampoo for that matter, but half a litre of decent red costs 2 eurosa. Hoping nan won't come home in the middle of the night. Tomorrow Azofra.

Attachments

• 1369581789511.jpg
    1369581789511.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 258
It looks like we won't meet Herman :/ I'm in Najera tomorrow and hoping to reach Santo Domingo tomorrow, or further depending how I feel. Sounds like you're having a ball though :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We're in a very posh Albergue in villafranca at the mo, which is a welcome change after the slum in redecilla last night, otherwise known as the night of horrors. Was 3 degrees this morning, gloves have been the best thing I brought. Lots of hot water to warm the bones here. Not even a hint of blisters but a glass of red is helping a pinched nerve in the back. Tomorrow Atapuerca.

Hi Herman, I'm in Albergue El Peregrinos now :) nice place. The trip uphill from Villafranca is very muddy so beware. The same for the 12km trip to San Juan. Burgos tomorrow for me! First day with no rain whoop!

Well its a shame that I never met up with anyone I was planning on meeting, although I did meet Bob from the forum by chance. Everday life again is a drag, slaving away in the office Day after day. But alas, the Camino calls once more! The Burgos to Leon leg over the Meseta is planned for October and the final stretch from astorga to SDC foe April 2014. That should give me something to look forward to...:smile:

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Herman
Hope you had a great Camino. I was always looking around for you when I was there, but sadly we did not meet. I met a woman with a forum patch from Austria...can't think of her name though.
David.

Hey David,

Yes we did have a great Camino albeit with its fair share of ups and downs. By the time we got to Burgos we were all pretty sick. Seems like a bug our Camino family picked up somewhere. The best day was the first on the way up to Roncesvalles, which we blitzed in just over 6 and a half hours. Sadly the Napoleon route was closed. The worst was Najera where we got drenched, the sickness was taking hold and some old guy thought I was a Camino bum, and yelled at me that I should go home, as I stood minding my own business out the front of a chemist. Met some great people. Have already refined my pack list for the next leg. Why on earth did I bring shorts and suncream??? No blisters, none whatsoever. One word, Salomon. Funniest night was in zubiri celebrating sonjas 30th. Funniest day was seeing the "no shitting" signs next to the golf course upon entering a ghost town somewhere. Hoping October will be quieter, as there were without a doubt too many pilgrims on the Frances in may. Couldn't imagine how horrible it would be in peak season with the 2pm bed stress. Best cathedral was in Pamplona, Burgos really didn't cut it for me. Even rang some church bells ourselves on day 3 I think it was. Oh yeah, worst snoring was in the alberge in obanos. Biggest disappointment was the templar church at eunate, closed of course like most churches along the way. Overall it was a great experience and I would say that the Camino definitely indirectly changed my life. Can't wait to get going again in October.

Cheers,

Miles

I walked from Logrono to Leon and seemed to get away with the sunny weather, there were three days with really bad weather. Najera to Santo Domingo and SD to Belorado were the worst days, I got soaked through even with a poncho and rain jacket. The best weather was between Hontanas and Boadilla. I got badly burnt that day as I sat out for hours without protection :/ still have burns. I too had a Camino bug but got it close to Leon when I finished.
Best day for me was between Terradillos and Bercanios, the municipal in Bercanias is brill, realized I can't sing for peanuts ;)
Worst Albergue for me was in Najera, truly awful. Ill never forget my time there and easily the best section I have walked, I have walked Leon to Santiago over two years so you are in for something special in September.
Planning my return next May from St Jean to Finistere via Muxia but need to skip a few days as only have 35 days. Hopefully I will get more days.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Also, I had a bad night in Boadilla, a number of folks including myself picked up some sort of a bug and were ill during the night. No idea why, but I don't want to take that away from the experience in that Albergue.

Sounds like another long Camino for you next year. Glad to hear you can muster 35 days off at one time. Were also planning our next Camino, even now, which I think will be le Puy, ending up back in Roncesvalles hopefully by the Napoleon route which we missed last time.

It was either the CF again or Le Puy for me. Two of the the guys I walked with started in Le Puy and kinda convinced me to do it but I like the social aspect to CF. I have the miam miam dodo book bought so maybe a few years from now. I have the portugeuse route in mind also.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It was either the CF again or Le Puy for me. Two of the the guys I walked with started in Le Puy and kinda convinced me to do it but I like the social aspect to CF. I have the miam miam dodo book bought so maybe a few years from now. I have the portugeuse route in mind also.

Now refresh my memory please... I think Elodie from Paris was telling me about this miam liam book one night after several bottles of red. Was that the le Puy guide?

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Gay, I’m new to the forum as I’m walking my first Camino, the Camino Ingles beginning the 20th of June 2024 and wondering if there are any AA meetings along that route
Oh oh oh, After more then seven and a half weeks of rain in Belgium and France, last week weather is better, I walked into Irun today! 🙏 Feels like the last nine weeks my life was in a fridge but...
Hi walking the Norte starting in late August. Would appreciate hearing from anyone else who has/is starting in August.
Hi, I’m new to the group as I’m finally hiking my first El Camino this month, El Camino Ingles, beginning June 21, 2024

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back