• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Missing the Essence?

Time of past OR future Camino
See Signature
Hello Pilgrims,
I have a question and welcome all points of view on this!
In a recent conversation with a person I met on my first Camino last fall, I asked him if he thought 33 walking days would be enough of a time frame to make it from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela. Since my Camino ended short last fall, I've decided to try again from SJPP this June. Last year I walked from Pamplona to Leon and it took me 2 weeks with 1 rest day in Logrono. When planning flights, it is difficult to factor in injury, illness, exhaustion, and weather, so I asked for advice from someone who has done it. He said that he is afraid that I would be missing the essence if I tried to do it in 33 days. And that maybe I would be in a race and miss the messages of the Camino. Just curious what other views are on this. Last fall, I was averaging 25-30 Km/day and while I was moving at a fairly rapid pace, I knew others that were doing many more Km/day than I was and I was still able to enjoy and soak it all in. I had time for reflection, and meeting amazing people...so I didn't feel like I was missing anything, but after hearing this comment by someone with experience and who I respect, I'm second guessing my scheduled time. What do you think?
Thank you!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have written many times that the Camino is not at all about kilometers, which albergue, lomo or lentejas for your pilgrims menu, Altus ponchos or gore-tex, water bottles, or your laundry. The Camino passes through more than a thousand years of history, two thousand and more should you start in France, amazing art and architecture religious and secular (yes! despite the severe criticism go see Cidade da Cultura de Galicia City of Culture in SdC), beautiful scenery, wonderful people sharing your own goal, a confrontation for many with different people a different culture a different language, a different lifestyle, as well as, and now the truly important bit, the Camino allows and indeed initiates a self-guided adventure into your own soul as you walk as you confront your own opinions and attitudes concerning, life, spirituality, and reasons for being. The Camino will subtly change your life if you will allow it, all in good directions so why shorten the experience with mundane considerations of time and place? Sure people are limited by reasons of time, health, or finances – the Camino has been here for a thousand years? It will be here next year, the year after, and the next century as well. Take your time and enjoy everything that the Camino can offer, don't stick to schedules, guide books or opinion – be flexible and ready for anything which may surface – it is your Camino your experience no one else can take that from you. If you don't or can't finish come back again and again and...

I always tried to distance myself from pilgrims who couldn't stop for 30 seconds to watch the sunrise because they "had" to make 23.912573 kilometers to stay on schedule. They couldn't see the forest because of all the trees. It's not the Bataan Death March. No one is going to bayonet you if you stop to take a break.

That being said, I took 43 days to complete the Camino. That included four days of rest where I never moved an inch and three days where I walked less than 10 kilometers. A few times I walked more that 30 kilometers. I tried to experience the Camino by remaining open to it's lessons. And that often required spontaneity.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Pilgrims,
I have a question and welcome all points of view on this!
In a recent conversation with a person I met on my first Camino last fall, I asked him if he thought 33 walking days would be enough of a time frame to make it from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela. Since my Camino ended short last fall, I've decided to try again from SJPP this June. Last year I walked from Pamplona to Leon and it took me 2 weeks with 1 rest day in Logrono. When planning flights, it is difficult to factor in injury, illness, exhaustion, and weather, so I asked for advice from someone who has done it. He said that he is afraid that I would be missing the essence if I tried to do it in 33 days. And that maybe I would be in a race and miss the messages of the Camino. Just curious what other views are on this. Last fall, I was averaging 25-30 Km/day and while I was moving at a fairly rapid pace, I knew others that were doing many more Km/day than I was and I was still able to enjoy and soak it all in. I had time for reflection, and meeting amazing people...so I didn't feel like I was missing anything, but after hearing this comment by someone with experience and who I respect, I'm second guessing my scheduled time. What do you think?
Thank you!
Hi Tammy Lynn. It sounds like you had a wonderful trip last fall and I imagine that it will be just as great this time. I, too, will be walking this June. Perhaps we will meet along The Way! ~Alyssa

It's difficult to get the right balance. I guess leaving the return part of your ticket open isn't an option? I'd just work out how long you think you could walk it in and add a few days for rest days and general flexibility. These can always be spent in Santiago (you may not make the Pilgrim Mass etc on arrival day, for example), going to Finisterre or staying longer in whatever city you're flying back from.

With the average distances you walked last time 33 days is a good estimate, but it's a few kms further than most. What if you found yourself part of a Camino family averaging 5kms a day less? Might you find yourself having to leave them behind at some point, and if so would that bother you? In June it could be quite hot in places - would you want to stop walking before the full heat of the day? Albergues will be quite busy - would you be tempted to stop in a town with beds rather than walk the extra 5kms hoping to find one in the planned village? I hope this is not being negative, but are just the kind of scenarios that might slow you down a bit and could save you stress if you've factored them in. Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We worked out a worst case scenario of how long it would take, then added four emergency days, two days in Santiago, a day to get back to Madrid and another two days in Madrid before flying home. I did not want to feel rushed and so it seemed wise to allow as much time as I could - filling in spare days will be no trouble! If you already know you are comfortable with 25-30km each day, then maybe you could base your "itinerary" on a worst case scenario of 25km each day.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
33 days it took me from sjpdd to santiago and i had 1 rest day in Leon and 2 forced resting days in Astorga and i did ot make any absurt long days. Anything in between 20-30km. Ok, one day of 43, but compensated with a below 10km the next day.
I did not rush, feel rushed or feel like i was missing out on anything.

Walk your walk. 33 days of bliss.

Remember that despite what others may tell you there is no law mandating that you MUST start in SJPdP. You could start closer to SDC, take more time and still have a wonderful experience.
To me the essence of the Camino comes from the people you will meet, and they're everywhere.

I don´t mesure my journey by distances, but by time. I walk about 6 hrs daily, a bit more if I make a pause in a restaurant, or if I feel like doing more distance. This, and the availability of albergues, has generally made for around 25 km, depending on the terrain and the weather. So, every night I make a kind of mental draft of my following day, but decide on the spot where I will stop. Only exceptions: I sometimes try to finish as near as possible from some interesting places, so the next day I can make a short walk and have time to visit, for ex. Burgos or León.
I don´t know what the "essence" of the Camino would be. I suppose it is one of these concepts (as happiness, or beauty) that you recognize when you see it, but can`t be really defined. It is a very personal thing. My advice: listen to everybody, but do only what you feel right and good to you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How long does it take to do the Camino? A lifetime. How long is a lifetime? I can give you actuarial estimates, but they don't tell the story. A lifetime is a life, not a number.

In philosophical terms by setting yourself a goal of 33 days you might be "missing the essence". It really doesn't matter whether the number of days is 20 or 33 or 50 - it's having a schedule at all.

In practical terms we need return flight dates. My way of coping is to either give myself an extra week or not to have any preconceived ideas of how far I will get. If you are focused on SJPDP to Santiago de Compostela I think 33 days is too short. Factor in at least 3 extra days for mooning around, train strikes, blisters, the festival that is happening in a village two kilometres off the track, an unexpected reunion, a bus trip to Finisterre. You won't regret it.

Last edited:
Thank you!
Sometimes we don't know what we are missing. I think the experienced person is trying to tell you to slow down so that the Camino can "fill the blanks". You have the advantage of having already covered quite a bit (Pamplona to Leon). So, use that buffer to take side trips-- explore San Millan de la Cogolla, spend an extra day in Roncesvalles, maybe even start from Le Puy and bus ahead Pamplona-Leon. I think you are in a bit of a box with SJPDP-Santiago and you need to explore what if you take some of your walking time to actually stop and "smell the roses".....

I see no reason why it's not doable, as it will be similar daily distances to what you covered last year.

People find their own "essence" of the camino, and their own "camino family" (if they are interested). Prescribing what the essence is and what speed you have to walk at to find it is silly.

I've met people covering 5-10km a day that were really happy with their experience, likewise I've met people that generally covered 40km that were happy. Whilst the person walking slower had a longer experience, I do not see longer equating a better or more profound experience. Walk at the speed that you and your body feel comfortable with.

You can ask for advice, but at the end of the day you will be walking in your own shoes, not someone else's.

Buen Camino:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
"Camino essence." WTF. An awful lot of gurus out there. Just keep walking, and don´t worry if you don´t get there this time.
Essence to me is what fills the spaces between events and landmarks and tourist attractions. The birdsong, the patter of rain on your hood, a church bell, the first sip of cold beer, or the sweet feel of exhertion when you are fit and healthy. You can enjoy all these things elsewhere, but on the camino they are something different, strangely wonderful.
Still, your mileage may vary. Don´t go looking for essence, and it might just find you.

"Camino essence." WTF. An awful lot of gurus out there. Just keep walking, and don´t worry if you don´t get there this time.
Essence to me is what fills the spaces between events and landmarks and tourist attractions. The birdsong, the patter of rain on your hood, a church bell, the first sip of cold beer, or the sweet feel of exhertion when you are fit and healthy. You can enjoy all these things elsewhere, but on the camino they are something different, strangely wonderful.
Still, your mileage may vary. Don´t go looking for essence, and it might just find you.

When I can stop thinking about where I am going , I can really enjoy where I am .

When I let go of what I am , I become what I might be .

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I found it takes about 3 days to reach "Ohmmmmmm." It's at that point like Felipe says you begin to measure your journey in time, there are bells every hour to let you know the current "local" time and then there are bells every quarter of the hour; 1 ring at 15m, 2 rings at 30m and 3 rings at 45m. It all starts to get confusing after 13h, so I usually quit for the day and grab a beer.

Another option is the "cloud-ometer": in late winter or early spring (my favorite season), it starts to rain some hours after midday. I don't object to a refreshing light rain, but sometimes it rains by the bucket load, you almost can't see the way, and the path becomes a muddy pond, specially on the Meseta. So, when I see very, very dark clouds amassing over me, I think it is time to look for the nearer albergue.

Last edited:
On all my caminos I have walked long stretches alone often through dense wood, groves of tall fern, holm oak and pine which in a Narnia-like way can seem almost bewitched.

Yet happily while tramping through such wood as the sun rose I have sensed that special moment when everything 'clicked'. Then I realized that this was, indeed, MY way and that all was and would be good. Perhaps such secular transcendence felt while walking might be akin to what runners call 'the zone'. Your body can handle the task while your spirit glows with the effort. Neither easy, nor impossible; all simply is. Thus, you continue.

Margaret Meredith

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I've just read this article from La Voz de Galicia. A Camino guide and frequent pilgrim with over 30 years of Camino experience calling for some greater regulation of numbers - at least on the...
One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Is there a list of albergues that also have private rooms on the Camino Frances? Gracias.
Hello, two weeks ago, I finished the Camino Francés, and while all the recent memories have not properly settled yet, I think enough time has passed to write a bit about my experience of the...
Can anyone give me (newbie!) some guidance on planning my stages after Roncesvalles? I currently have lodging booked Zubiri, Pamplona and then Puente la Reine, and on from there. I would prefer...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back