• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Kit List - Half Camino Frances April 2014 (Burgos - Santiago)

D

DavidsRetired

My Second Half/Camino Starts in Burgos on 18 April 2014! Better half than nothing! :D

Total Backpack weight is - 8.6 Kilograms or 19 pounds.

Kit List

1 x Osprey Kestrel 48 Backpack (Fits my body well)

PACKED
===================================
Bottom Backpack Pouch:

1 x Compact Sleeping Bag (Square Bottom – find the mummy design restrictive)
1 x Silk Liner (for sleeping bag inner)
1 x Compression Sack for Sleeping Bag
Main Backpack Compartment:

1 x Garbage bag (used to line compartment)
1 x Light Foam Sandals (for shower and relaxing)
1 x Light Running Shoes
Note: 2 x Plastic Zip Bags to store Sandals/Shoes. Keeps dirt away from cloths and easy to slip into compartment.
2 x Compression Sacks (water resistant and ease of management)

Compression Sack 1, Labelled Toiletries

- 1 x Toiletries Bag
- 1 x Quick Drying Hiking Towel

Compression Sack 2, Labelled Cloths

- 1 x Arcteryx Pants (Weather Resistant)
- 1 x The North Face Summit Series Fleece
- 1 x Quick Dry T-shirt
- 2 x Quick Dry Underwear
- 2 x Merino wool Hiking Socks
---------------------
1 x Arcteryx Atom LT Hoody Insulated Jacket
---------------------
1 x Small Shoulder Sling Travel Bag
Note: I use this for Aircraft Travel, Documents and walking throughout Town at night.
Inside Backpack Mesh Hood Compartment:

1 x Spare Glasses w/case
2 x European Plug Adapters
3 x Small Ziploc Plastic Bags (Store food/peanuts etc… along the way)
Top Backpack Hood Compartment 1

1 x Altus, Atmospheric Rain Poncho
1 x Reflective Arm Band with lights
Top Backpack Hood Compartment 2

1 x Spork – Fork, Spoon combination
8 x Clothespins
8 x Safety pins (also handy for hanging cloths)
1 x Lip Balm Stick
1 x Small tube of Sunscreen
1 x Travel Pack of Kleenex
2 x Spare Rubber Trekking Pole Ends
1 x Gloves
Backpack Outer Middle Mesh Compartment

1 x Pilgrims Guide Book - John Brierley (9th Edition)
Backpack Waist Belt Compartment Left and Right

Left:
1 x Phone/Camera Charging Cord

Right:
1 x Pocket Knife
1 x Set of Earplugs
Backpack, Outer Side Zippered Compartment Left and Right

Left:
2 x Small Roll-on silicone-based blister prevention lubricants

Right:
1 x Small/Thin Boot Brush to remove mud etc…. (in Ziploc bag)
Backpack, Outer Side Mess Pockets Left and Right

Left:
2 x Knee Tension Slip-ons (Tommie Cooper)

Right: empty
Backpack Shoulder Straps Left and Right

Left:
1 x 950 ml Water Bottle with quick release snap
1 x Whistle on pullout/retractable line

Right:
1 x Canon PowerShot Camera w/case
1 x Small flashlight w/Quick Release Clip
Clothing/Essential Kit:

1 x Set of Ultra Mountain Carbon Trekking Poles
Note: Last Camino I only used 1 trekking pole and my knees complained – Lesson Learned!

WEARING

1 x Hat
1 x Microfiber Buff/Neck Gaiter
1 x Quick-Dry T-Shirt
1 x Hiking Long Sleeve Shirt (Optional, may pack for evenings)
1 x Quick Dry Underwear
1 x Merino Hiking Socks
1 x McKinley Trekking Pants
1 x Original Swat Boots (Best Boots ever! Light, durable and ready to wear/hike right out of the box)
1 x Watch
1 x Cellphone
1 x SMILE!

Attachments

• 1_DB_FullKit.jpg
    1_DB_FullKit.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 2_DB_SemiPacked.jpg
    2_DB_SemiPacked.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 3_DB_TopView_1.jpg
    3_DB_TopView_1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 4_DB_TopView.jpg
    4_DB_TopView.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 5_DB_FrontView.jpg
    5_DB_FrontView.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 6_DB_BackView.jpg
    6_DB_BackView.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 7_DB_SideView.jpg
    7_DB_SideView.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 84
Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola

Sure looks like a great packing list.

What caught my eyes were:
Reusable shopping bag for grocery or sit on when wet.
Headlamp? Probably not essential in April.
2 x half liter water bottles. One on each side to give balance?
Notebook/pencil?

Also you may want to buy a air transfer nylon bag for the backpack and use that as
an inside liner. 100% waterproof.

Personally I would skip the running shoes.

And maybe a small book/poetry just in case?

What is the name/brand of your swat boots?

Finally: bring a piece of chalk...
Great for making arrows for your group behind .

Have a great Camino. :)
Lettinggo

I found this interesting as I have the same model pack. I think the adjustable length makes it work for many. Good ideas on use of some of the multitude of pockets.

I had better be careful because I really should come in a few pounds less. Funny how things become less important when weighed!

On your whistle...I know the sternum strap clasp on mine has an in incorporated whistle. Maybe not as versatile as yours, but if you hadn't noticed it might be redundant.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola

Sure looks like a great packing list.

What caught my eyes were:
Reusable shopping bag for grocery or sit on when wet.
Headlamp? Probably not essential in April.
2 x half liter water bottles. One on each side to give balance?
Notebook/pencil?

Also you may want to buy a air transfer nylon bag for the backpack and use that as
an inside liner. 100% waterproof.

Personally I would skip the running shoes.

And maybe a small book/poetry just in case?

What is the name/brand of your swat boots?

Finally: bring a piece of chalk...
Great for making arrows for your group behind .

Have a great Camino. :)
Lettinggo
I purchased my boots locally, but here is a link to the same style I have. http://www.originalswat.com/us_en/chase-9-side-zip-610.html
I especially like the zippered side; however, you can purchase without that option. During my last Camino, I tied my boots at the beginning and never had to re-tie them. In addition, during my stops, I could easily slip them off/on and let my feet breathe. Truly one of the best boots I have had.
As a note, purchased SOLE insoles, and they work extremely well. http://www.yoursole.com/ca/mens/footbeds/softec-ultra/
In regards to the running shoes - they are ultra-light and I use them to walk around town in the evenings, to give my boots a break. Additionally, I have scheduled a week in Holland (Groningen) at the end of my walk, and these will work well for that.

I found this interesting as I have the same model pack. I think the adjustable length makes it work for many. Good ideas on use of some of the multitude of pockets.

I had better be careful because I really should come in a few pounds less. Funny how things become less important when weighed!

On your whistle...I know the sternum strap clasp on mine has an in incorporated whistle. Maybe not as versatile as yours, but if you hadn't noticed it might be redundant.
Quietwun; the whistle I have, was purchased at a local shop and simply clips on. My wife wanted me to take it for an emergency….
As for the weight, I’m 6’2” 190lbs and find that weight comfortable. The issue with being taller and long legged is, I use more material in my clothing than others :D
Additionally, although the Compressions Sacks are not necessary, for me, they are extremely handy and easy to manage the contents of my bag. I like things nice and neat!

Interesting kit list DavidsRetired similar to what I have in mind though, being shorter, I'm thinking of an Osprey Kestrel 38 and Crocs rather than running shoes. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am shorter and wider so that comes with its own issues. :) I do like this pack though. Feels right.

Yes, some sort of organizational bags ( even a couple as you have) are going to be critical for me--mostly because I tend to be the easy going scattered type. If I don't keep a grip I will have lost a pole, my credencial and my toothbrush all the first day.

Clearly I need a check list for moving and have heard a good.....is it an acronym? for key things to be sure you have when leaving a place. But, well, I don't remember that either.

That's a great packing list, thanks for the post. I also have the Osprey 48, although I've learned that "less is more" (I intend to keep it as light as possible). You have some redundant items, so I might just humbly suggest some things you might consider leaving home to lighten your load...

-Having boots, shower shoes, and tennis shoes might be too much. You might consider a Croc (hey, I know they're ugly, but they're good for the shower and for walking around in the evening). Or, I have Teva sandals, which double as the shower shoe and evening shoes (I would avoid anything with a rubber index between the toes).

-You might consider leaving the camera at home. I dumped mine last time. The additional charger, cord, and camera were unnecessary when you're carrying a good iPhone for video and pics.

So, just a few hints from a guy who took way too much last time. My CdS trek in August will be much lighter. Here's my guide for taking stuff:

Put everything you think you need in a pile on your living-room floor.
Keep half of that and leave the other half home.
Then, divide that into two parts, keeping only one half.
In the end, taking only 1/4 of what you think you must have on the CdS is a good guide.

Buen Camino!

Hi Oct2012Pilgrim, I appreciate your reply and suggestions, as feedback is always welcome. Indeed, the 3-pairs of footwear are always a question in my mind. The boots, I simply love for their lightness and comfort. The running shoes are a new hi-tech breed, called Sketchers and weigh 6.5oz. These are brilliant for walking around in the evenings, yet still provide the support I need. Additionally, I’ll be spending a week after my walk in Holland and need shoes for that.

However, I do question the foam shower sandals, but I’ve seen people at the gym with toe fungus, and I’d rather be safe than sorry. As for Crocs, I have a pair which I wear at home all the time, but I like the idea of shoes I can tie, when walking around town and feel secure on my feet; for the peace of mind, if I need to move quickly or find myself in a situation of any sorts.

Now the Camera is certainly up for debate, especially as I have a Samsung Galaxy Phone. What I like about the camera is - it’s placement on my shoulder straps, as I can access it quickly, snap a picture without any challenge and return it to it’s case. Additionally, as the photo’s represent my memories of these trips, and my families, the quality is much better. The camera is only a wee thing anyways, and much smaller than my phone. Having said all that, I have been playing with my phone, and although the quality is acceptable, I’m still unable to get the quick shot off and clarity as I can with the camera. Nonetheless, this is still a debatable decision on my part and if I can find a nice case, which I can strap on my straps, I may ditch the camera for the phone. Besides, my phone is my mini Kindle reader, which is necessary for anywhere I go.

In regards to the Kestrel 48 Backpack, I understand the debate rages on for smaller is better, but I don’t see it that way at all. Carrying weight is certainly an issue, but using a piece of equipment, which fits properly and comfortably, is of higher priority as well as beneficial in the long run. As an example, I could certainly pack my kit into a smaller bag, and I’ve tried this several times, but these smaller bags, were a nightmare for my back and shoulders; they just didn’t work for my body. Besides, empty space doesn’t mean you have to fill it, that’s just ridiculous thinking. What it does do however, is provide me with more flexibility, especially if I wish to pack a nice lunch or something.

Anyway, you’ve given me some things to re-consider, specifically the camera and I’ll see what I can think of in regards to the shower sandals.

Thanks again,
Cheers,
Dave

P.S. My last (first) Camino I started with about 14kgs, as I was worried about the weather and snow, but within 8-days, I was carrying 10kgs. The only problem with that, was explaining to my wife the cost of the extra kit I bought, never using it and then the cost of shipping it back home. Now that weighed heavy on my mind :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My Second Half/Camino Starts in Burgos on 18 April 2014! Better half than nothing! :D

Total Backpack weight is - 8.6 Kilograms or 19 pounds.

Kit List

1 x Osprey Kestrel 48 Backpack (Fits my body well)

PACKED
Bottom Backpack Pouch:

1 x Compact Sleeping Bag (Square Bottom – find the mummy design restrictive)
1 x Silk Liner (for sleeping bag inner)
1 x Compression Sack for Sleeping Bag
Main Backpack Compartment:

1 x Garbage bag (used to line compartment)
1 x Light Foam Sandals (for shower and relaxing)
1 x Light Running Shoes
Note: 2 x Plastic Zip Bags to store Sandals/Shoes. Keeps dirt away from cloths and easy to slip into compartment.
2 x Compression Sacks (water resistant and ease of management)

Compression Sack 1, Labelled Toiletries

- 1 x Toiletries Bag
- 1 x Quick Drying Hiking Towel

Compression Sack 2, Labelled Cloths

- 1 x Arcteryx Pants (Weather Resisted)
- 1 x The North Face Summit Series Fleece
- 1 x Quick Dry T-shirt
- 2 x Quick Dry Underwear
- 2 x Merino wool Hiking Socks
---------------------
1 x Arcteryx Atom LT Hoody Insulated Jacket
---------------------
1 x Small Shoulder Sling Travel Bag
Note: I use this for Aircraft Travel, Documents and walking throughout Town at night.
Inside Backpack Mesh Hood Compartment:

1 x Spare Glasses w/case
2 x European Plug Adapters
3 x Small Ziploc Plastic Bags (Store food/peanuts etc… along the way)
Top Backpack Hood Compartment 1

1 x Altus, Atmospheric Rain Poncho
1 x Reflective Arm Band with lights
Top Backpack Hood Compartment 2

1 x Spork – Fork, Spoon combination
8 x Clothespins
8 x Safety pins (also handy for hanging cloths)
1 x Lip Balm Stick
1 x Small tube of Sunscreen
1 x Travel Pack of Kleenex
2 x Spare Rubber Trekking Pole Ends
1 x Gloves
Backpack Outer Middle Mesh Compartment

1 x Pilgrims Guide Book - John Brierley (9th Edition)
Backpack Waist Belt Compartment Left and Right

Left:
1 x Phone/Camera Charging Cord

Right:
1 x Pocket Knife
1 x Set of Earplugs
Backpack, Outer Side Zippered Compartment Left and Right

Left:
2 x Small Roll-on silicone-based blister prevention lubricants

Right:
1 x Small/Thin Boot Brush to remove mud etc…. (in Ziploc bag)
Backpack, Outer Side Mess Pockets Left and Right

Left:
2 x Knee Tension Slip-ons (Tommie Cooper)

Right: empty
Backpack Shoulder Straps Left and Right

Left:
1 x 950 ml Water Bottle with quick release snap
1 x Whistle on pullout/retractable line

Right:
1 x Canon PowerShot Camera w/case
1 x Small flashlight w/Quick Release Clip
Clothing/Essential Kit:

1 x Set of Ultra Mountain Carbon Trekking Poles
Note: Last Camino I only used 1 trekking pole and my knees complained – Lesson Learned!

WEARING

1 x Hat
1 x Microfiber Buff/Neck Gaiter
1 x Quick-Dry T-Shirt
1 x Hiking Long Sleeve Shirt (Optional, may pack for evenings)
1 x Quick Dry Underwear
1 x Merino Hiking Socks
1 x McKinley Trekking Pants
1 x Original Swat Boots (Best Boots ever! Light, durable and ready to wear/hike right out of the box)
1 x Watch
1 x Cellphone
1 x SMILE!

Hi there

Why do you need trainers as well as flip flops. If you are happy with your walking boots then consider leaving the trainers behind.

Replace the bin liner with an Eagle Creek "Pack-It Compression Sack" http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-compression-sac-large/d/1064 they are stronger than bin liners and great for keeping your thinks dry and great for maintaining bio security and see through plastic make for easy access to gear.

Your gloves seem a tad on the light side. Might be worth bringing over groves just in case the weather is foul. Consider bringing a cycling sweat band as they are great for keeping ones ears warm and keeping the wind from ones forehead.

I cannot see the value of a poncho when you have a very warm rain jacket. You are likely to overheat and still get wet as you do not seem to have waterproof trousers. In fact a lined jacket might be too warm. Make sure it has under arm zips that you can open to keep your body cool, even in the rain.

Don't be afraid to bring more socks just in case the weather is very wet. They weigh sod all but are a life safer when the weather is crap.

A pair of mini yack tracks it the terrain is muddy and sticky.

A pair of over sized cyclingboots to wear over your boots in the event that it is very wet and rainly. Work well with waterproof trousers.

Cereal bowl and cereal as breakfasts on the Camino are not very filling. You can buy Special K with fruit in most supermarkets and grocery stores.

A head torch that frees you up to walk with your poles.

Hi CISSA69, thank you for your response and advice. I’ll try to quickly address some of your concerns and/or options.

The reason I use/bring 3-sets of footwear is this: The sandals, I use for the shower and lounging around. Please note, that these sandals are extremely light and in some cases actually lighter than flip-flops, so the weight is negligible. - The Running shoes are for walking around town in the evenings and for after my trip, where I have a week’s holiday in Holland to see friends. Again, note that these are very hi-tech running shoes that weigh only slightly more than the sandals, yet provide the support I require for walking as well as the laced feature, which I prefer over sandals while in public places. - My actual walking boots, are as light as some of the walking shoes on the market, yet provide far better support for my back overall. They are incredibly comfortable and great for keeping my feet dry while jumping in puddles along the route – especially in April/May.

As for the bin liner (garbage bag); this is an old low key habit, which I’ve used forever now and has never failed me. As I don’t pull the liner out of my pack, a clear bag would make no difference. However, I do pack all my kit inside the main compartment in compression bags, and organised in two groups. 1-bag for cloths and the 2nd for toiletries, towels and such. Therefore, in this manner, I can simply open my main compartment, grab the appropriate labelled bag, and off I go.

My gloves, although thin, are waterproof and seem to be adequate. I walk around in -2 to 0-degree Celsius weather all the time without gloves, so I should be fine. Besides, I always have my American Army Gloves (Pockets) :D (old army joke).

In regards to a sweatband, I used (and will use) a Microfiber Buff/Neck Gaiter on my last Camino, which was great around my neck, but could easily be brought-up around my ears and head if required.

I normally only wear my Sweater, which is light and breathable, but also warm enough for those cooler mornings. Nevertheless, I always bring along my Arcteryx Atom LT Hoody Insulated Jacket, for those colder days. This jacket is brilliant, as it rolls into a small ball and weighs nothing at all – it still amazes me. It’s only meant for very light rain, but it’s primary purposes is to block the wind, and keep me warm. Additionally, it’s extremely breathable, and simply a joy to wear and manage.

Yes, a poncho is always up for debate, but I chose this one, as it covers both my pack and me. Although, I’m not worried about the contents of my pack becoming wet, I do not like a wet outer pack, nor the water which runs between the pack and a jacket while raining. Therefore, for these issues, the Altus, Atmospheric Rain Poncho met my needs well.

In regards to waterproof pants, you’ll note in my list that I have Arcteryx Pants (Weather Resistant). When I purchased these pants, I was told you could literally jump in a lake, come out dry, so I went home, and stood in the shower for 10-minutes, with the water streaming directly on the pants. I came out dry :D

I carry 3 x socks, which works well for me, but do agree that socks and warm/dry feet are essential for good foot care. With 3-socks, I am always ensured to have at least one clean and dry pair at all times.
Last year, I found that some days the socks would not always dry completely by the morning, so was grateful for that 3rd pair to wear.

As for the muddy boots, I carry a small thin brush in a Ziploc bag, which allows me to clean my boots each evening and works well.

For light, if required, I have a very small pencil flashlight, which is incredibly bright. However, I have rarely used this, and only if I require something out of my pack in the late evenings, so not to disturb others. If I’m walking without sufficient sunlight, as I do in the early mornings, I always allow my eyes to adjust and I’m fine with this.

My breakfast routine does not require a bowl of any sorts, as I normally head out the door with an apple and a pocket full of mixed nuts. This is more than plenty for me, and will stop for a light lunch and rather enjoy a nice meal out in a quiet atmosphere.

I do apologise for my lengthy reply, but wished to ensure I addressed your concerns and/or suggestions.

Again, thanks for the reply.
Cheers,
Dave

Oh, I’ve recently changed backpacks, as I’ve had some back and shoulder problems (old army injuries acting up). I’ve turned in my old Osprey Kestrel 48 Backpack and upgraded to a Gregory Baltoro 65 Backpack. Although a heavier pack, it’s just a joy to wear and provides wonderful support and more importantly, the comfort level is brilliant. Absolutely love it!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi David

I have just bought an Osprey Atmos 65 and an Atmos 50 to replace the Tallon 44 (one or both will be returned). It is so hard to come down in favour what backpack is best. All I can say is that if you have found a backpack that is very comfortable then go for it. Lots of testing required

My one question would be will how will your Camino gear fit into what looks like a very big bag. You have a small amount of gear at just under 9KGs fitting into a big gear. I suppose you can use the compression straps to squeeze in the gear. Comfort is key.

Regards

C

Certainly, the Baltoro 65 has additional volume, but it seems to pack differently than the Kestrel and overall, the extra space is simply air, so it’s all good :D

However, and as you say, comfort is the key and although this bag is about 1kg heavier then the Kestrel 48, it distributes and supports the weight surprisingly well. As a test, I tossed in 35kg of weight and it actually felt extremely comfortable. So I’m probably at 10kg or so now for my walking weight, which is brilliant.

As for volume, I now have plenty of room to pack a lunch if needed and/or additional purchased kit if the weather turns along the way. However, the space will come in handy while in Holland afterwards, as I’ll require some different walking around cloths, other than my hiking gear.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.