• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My knee has given out. Need a place to recover for a week.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
if you’re looking for more care than just rest, there’s a physiotherapist in Logroño (very near the cathedral) who tries to make time for pilgrims on short notice. I don’t know the cost for EU citizens, but it was about 90€ last week for a US citizen.
https://www.perezysalcedo.com/membership-login/peregrino/ (no actual login or membership needed despite the url)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When in Pamplona find somewhere you can get a neoprene knee sleeve. Put it on right away and keep it on as long as you can. The compression will help even if you don’t have swelling. Wear it when you start walking again. I know ice is hard to come by in Spain so maybe at the grocery grab an ice pack that you can put in the freezer each day when you arrive at an albergue. Then put it on your knees in the evening. If you can’t find an ice pack, buy a bag of peas. Hang in there!!

Once you have had medical help, if you just need rest, I can highly recommend the Monasterio de Alloz not far from Pamplona. Private room with bed with sheets and towels and three Spanish meals a day, €40
You are welcome but not required to attend services with the nuns
Thank you! I am going to reach out to them and see if they have room. With meals included that is within my budget. Thank you again!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you! I am going to reach out to them and see if they have room. With meals included that is within my budget. Thank you again!
They will definitely have room! It’s an enormous place with only nine nuns (that I saw in a week) and only two other pilgrims came for one night each - and there were at least six rooms, possibly more.
Glad this may help you. Incidentally, Lorca is the closest village if you wanted to bus to Lorca and then take a taxi (although you had better check if Lorca has a taxi) And note it’s NOT the big Lorca in the south! Failing that, Estella is about 10km away.

Thank you. I was actually doing the Camino Madrid and halfway through when I felt it weaken. I knew really long stages were coming up so, I then transfered to the Frances for shorter stages and only made to Zubiri.
If you decide you want to go back to the Madrid once you have recovered, I think I managed to avoid really long stages on the same route last summer. I'd be happy to discuss how to avoid long stages. But maybe you were taking long stages due to lack of time, a situation that will now be even more pressing.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If not feeling very, very well when time comes to go, remember that after a short walk to the small village of Zariquigui, it is a walk up the ridge to Alto de PerdĂłn, and then follow the roan down, eventually to Puenta La Reina. The Camino Path down from the top is really bad, like a dried up creek bed on a hillside.

Then after that, it is a short walk along the river to a very steep climb into Maneru. If the knee cannot take that, it may be wise to consider becoming a Hospitalero for your remaining time. At least the cost of day to day living will be reduced.

Thank you. I actually have enough time and was thinking the same. Help with albergues would be great, I wouldn't doubt that stresses I had about finding a places to stay showed up in my knee.

If not feeling very, very well when time comes to go, remember that after a short walk to the small village of Zariquigui, it is a walk up the ridge to Alto de PerdĂłn, and then follow the roan down, eventually to Puenta La Reina. The Camino Path down from the top is really bad, like a dried up creek bed on a hillside.

Then after that, it is a short walk along the river to a very steep climb into Maneru. If the knee cannot take that, it may be wise to consider becoming a Hospitalero for your remaining time. At least the cost of day to day living will be reduced.
Thank you that's great to know. So far it a bus to Pamplona, a recovery stay and then to Bilbao for tourist time:) I have 60 more days in Spain:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When in Pamplona find somewhere you can get a neoprene knee sleeve. Put it on right away and keep it on as long as you can. The compression will help even if you don’t have swelling. Wear it when you start walking again. I know ice is hard to come by in Spain so maybe at the grocery grab an ice pack that you can put in the freezer each day when you arrive at an albergue. Then put it on your knees in the evening. If you can’t find an ice pack, buy a bag of peas. Hang in there!!
Most farmacias, especially in Pamplona will carry a variety of knee supports. Many pharmacists also speak English.

You might find a farmacia that is open Saturday evening. They will be closed on Sunday.

Hope this helps,

Tom

My knee is not swollen but is really sore and I am thinking that I could try to find a place to recover, and am asking for ideas. I am currently in Zubiri. I can take a bus out of here to Pamplona in the morning. I have 2 months left in Spain. Thank you.
Don't give up! Many will take a short pause and continue on! You CAN do this....you have LOTS of time Pelegrina!! ULTREIA!!

if you’re looking for more care than just rest, there’s a physiotherapist in Logroño (very near the cathedral) who tries to make time for pilgrims on short notice. I don’t know the cost for EU citizens, but it was about 90€ last week for a US citizen.
https://www.perezysalcedo.com/membership-login/peregrino/ (no actual login or membership needed despite the url)
I will also add that all my physio in Spain was covered by my extended health in Canada. It might be worth checking if you have extended health.

€46,-
Another option if you come right would be to start at Burgos and do short days. Or from Porto. Both of these stretches are mostly flat. Remember how you are today is not how you will be in a month.

The Camino Path down from the top is really bad, like a dried up creek bed on a hillside.
A very good description of it...to be avoided with a bad knee. @mspath posted here in some detail about a way around - search and you should be able to find it.

Remember how you are today is not how you will be in a month.
This.
Truth. Or even in a few days.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My knee is not swollen but is really sore and I am thinking that I could try to find a place to recover, and am asking for ideas. I am currently in Zubiri. I can take a bus out of here to Pamplona in the morning. I have 2 months left in Spain. Thank you.
Get your leg up high above your waist for an hour every day, with an ice pack. I struggled with tendinitis on the Camino twice and had to pause the trip at Burgos, I went to the hopspital, paid for the doctor to review, write a report and give me pain relief and I rested up for 5 days in a 5 star hotel (thats what insurance is for) It made a huge difference and I was able to carry on. Take care.

Get your leg up high above your waist for an hour every day, with an ice pack. I struggled with tendinitis on the Camino twice and had to pause the trip at Burgos, I went to the hopspital, paid for the doctor to review, write a report and give me pain relief and I rested up for 5 days in a 5 star hotel (thats what insurance is for) It made a huge difference and I was able to carry on. Take care.
Thank you James. Great advice! i am glad you were able to continue after 5 days. Are you saying you paid for the Doctors review and meds and insurance paid for your hotel stay?

Hello Valleygirlhike, sorry to hear about you knee. I had the same issue back in 2018 which required a half knee replacement. I finished up spending two weeks in Finisterre as we had a pre booked flight out. I suggest check the weather for the next week, if it looks like no rain I would book into Finisterre. All the best. Cheers Tony

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ohh! This a great tip. I would never have thought to stay somewhere nice of I were to get an injury

I believe there is a hospital in Logronyo for leg related issues that caters to pilgrims

I believe there is a hospital in Logronyo for leg related issues that caters to pilgrims
Thank you!
Oh, so sorry this is happening so soon! Pamplona is a lovely place to rest a bit, and maybe have the knee looked at by a doc or physio. Maybe you can continue maybe not, but you're wise to give it a little time before deciding one way or another.
I will. It's not worth causing more damage. Thank you.

Once you have had medical help, if you just need rest, I can highly recommend the Monasterio de Alloz not far from Pamplona. Private room with bed with sheets and towels and three Spanish meals a day, €40
You are welcome but not required to attend services with the nuns
I will be checking in tomorrow. Still figuring out how to get there. Thank you, again.

Ohh! This a great tip. I would never have thought to stay somewhere nice of I were to get an injury
Great idea, I was thinking the same thing, once I can walk a bit better. Looks like it's raining this next week. I am getting some ice and doing as you suggested. Thank you. I am grateful for the help this community has provided. I was hesitant about asking for advice. My pack weight is about 10lbs with snacks and water. My body is 62 but my spirit is years younger!

Hello Valleygirlhike, sorry to hear about you knee. I had the same issue back in 2018 which required a half knee replacement. I finished up spending two weeks in Finisterre as we had a pre booked flight out. I suggest check the weather for the next week, if it looks like no rain I would book into Finisterre. All the best. Cheers Tony
Thank you for your suggestions, I think once I get some medical advice and need to recoup somewhere, the coast would be nice.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you James. Great advice! i am glad you were able to continue after 5 days. Are you saying you paid for the Doctors review and meds and insurance paid for your hotel stay?
Yes travel insurance paid for everything, but you need the doctors/hospital letter saying rest it for one/two weeks. I recall I had to go back as they made another appointment to clear me to be able to walk on, he said if I wasn't he would extend the rest time, so I booked a nice 5 star hotel where ice was always available and room service.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes travel insurance paid for everything, but you need the doctors/hospital letter saying rest it for one/two weeks. I recall I had to go back as they made another appointment to clear me to be able to walk on, he said if I wasn't he would extend the rest time, so I booked a nice 5 star hotel where ice was always available and room service.
I recall the insurance paid for everything, doctors bill, meds etc. But do go to a bigger town like Burgos. It's super pleasant and easy to get there from Zubiri. where as someone suggested Finistre (that's not what you want) there's a good hospital at Burgos.

I also ruined my knee on the rocky slope downwards Zubiri, probably wrong shoes and not using my sticks :(. I managed to walk to Logroño but was in pain from Pamplona on. Had to take multiple rest days and a long break in Burgos because I couldn’t walk. Better you rest now instead of overusing it. I made it to Santiago yesterday and continued to Fisterra. A fellow pilgrim overused her feet and is now on crutches, couldn’t walk to Santiago nor will provably make it to Fisterra. A nice reminder to listen to your body on such a trip …

€46,-
I also ruined my knee on the rocky slope downwards Zubiri, probably wrong shoes and not using my sticks :(. I managed to walk to Logroño but was in pain from Pamplona on. Had to take multiple rest days and a long break in Burgos because I couldn’t walk. Better you rest now instead of overusing it. I made it to Santiago yesterday and continued to Fisterra. A fellow pilgrim overused her feet and is now on crutches, couldn’t walk to Santiago nor will provably make it to Fisterra. A nice reminder to listen to your body on such a trip …
Thank you for sharing. I am glad you made it to Santiago and beyond. Grats! It is a good reminder to listen to my body and to take care of it.

Most read last week in this forum

Day four of my journey and suffering blisters, friction burns and shoe bite on feet. Boots are ankle high hillwalkers. Tended to situation using blister gel plasters and tape then double socks...
There's always somebody posting about dropping out, or taking a break because they're injured, myself included. There seems to have been a few more than usual just lately, although perhaps that's...
I've just returned from the San Salvador/Primitivo and have got Giardia from drinking untreated Water. I filled a bottle in Tineo as the Bar owner said it was good water/better than his Tap. There...
I have bad toe and heel blisters and am looking for a Doctor in Fão to treat them or give me advice about how to proceed, if I can. Hoping to find one tonight as it’s Sunday tomorrow.
A few days ago I consulted a sports podiatrist. I knew that I had pronation in my feet, but did not know the potential consequences, probably because I thought pronation meant flat feet. I don't...
Will I be able to find 3% Hydrogen Peroxide contact solution on my Camino (Frances)?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back