My spiritual awakening

Oztrekker

Apr 21, 2014
Time of past OR future Camino
I started in st jean and am currently in leon. My foot is blistered after my boots wore out.

Have completed many long distance treks longest is 1000 km, bibulmun track.
For me the camino is about change. Letting something go.

The crowds have been challenging.

I was spiritually challenged by a woman that pushed in at the coffee line in tradadello and the albergue line in la faba. The older south african lady let her know not to push in.

I just got angry inside at all the ill mannered people on the camino. The municipal albergue pre dawn racers etc.

When I was walking I noticed that the woman who pushed in was semi retarded and had borderline anorexia, she had a boyfriend that just let her be happy.

I felt guilty for being angry at her for pushing in the line. I was thinking to myself, this girl is just so excited to be on the camino she cannot wait to look inside the albergue and she does not understand.

To acknowledge the happiness on her face is a gift from god.

Today an albergue racer got up pre dawn and spilled two liters of water, it soaked all my things including my credencile. I hope the man is there by 11 and gets his bag at the front of the que.

I just dont care. I dont need a piece of paper with stamps on it.

There are more important things to consider like, where is my angel?

Why do I love dogs more than humans?

Letting go of........ I guess it will happen in santiago again in a few days time.

Now I have to dry out my credencille, if I am late and miss out on a bed I hope the girl with the smiling face gets it.

DSC_3275.JPG DSC_3274.JPG

What was your spiritual awakening? Did you let go of something from within yourself?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Sep 15, 2005
Moratinos, Palencia Spain
www.peaceableprojects.org
Many, various, and continuing.
Oztrekker, you are an inspiration to us all.
Once you stop fussing over the behavior of others, you are free to see your own behavior. The charity that lives deep in your character has a chance to grow, now that you've cracked open your hard shell and let the light come in.
"Let it go," IMHO, are the most powerful words in English.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Coleen Clark

Feb 14, 2015
Trenton, NC
Walked August 2015, planning on walking August 2017
Oztrekker, you are an inspiration to us all.
Once you stop fussing over the behavior of others, you are free to see your own behavior. The charity that lives deep in your character has a chance to grow, now that you've cracked open your hard shell and let the light come in.
"Let it go," IMHO, are the most powerful words in English.
...and the hardest to do sometimes.

Coleen Clark

Feb 14, 2015
Trenton, NC
Your credencial , dried out and taped together, will tell its own story of being on a hard journey and having to pull itself back together. It's a conversation starter!
The girl with the smiling face could have been your angel. I have two friends who have children with disabilities, and they are the strongest women (and most blessed!) that I know.
As for loving dogs more than people, I do too. Well, most dogs over most people.
And the first bag at the albergue is the first one in, and usually picks the best bunk, which is usually the one everyone wants. If it is used EVERY night it is probably worn to a frazzle, and has a bigger chance of infestation from all the people on it. First does not always mean best, it just means first.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

LauraK

Feb 13, 2006
Dallas, Texas, USA
Leon-Santiago (2004) Roncesvalles-Leon (2006) Camino Frances (2012) Kumano Kodo-Japan (2014) Camino Sanabres/Salamanca-Santiago (March 2015) Camino Del Salvador and Camino Primativo (Oct 2015)
One of the hardest to learn yet most valuable lessons in life...Just Let It Go. So many people would be walking with anger and resentment if their credential had been ruined. Your recognition that it is just a piece of paper is so true. My credential sits in a drawer unseen. The camino memories reside in my heart and soul where I feel them each and every day.

MartinZ

Jun 17, 2014
Netherlands
camino frances 2012 ... 2017
How do you know the early risers are albergue racers? Psychic powers or have you asked them?
Maybe the people who cue up in front of a still closed albergue are the people who only walk 10km a day... who knows....

Not to say that racing pilgrims don't exist, but some might have a good reason to start early.

Some impromptu reasons on why I like to rise early:
- I like the solitude
- I get the whole magic sun-rise event; the alternation of light/temperature and just seeing the country come alive makes the walk less tedious.
- I don't have to walk in the heat of the day as much
(or I can walk farther or can take more/longer breaks and still arrive at a 'decent' time)
- The roads are less busy with traffic or even completely empty

For me it has nothing to do with racing and I guess that's true for many early risers.
Of course I have the decency to get out of the dorm as quietly as possible (packing the night before) and sorting out the last minute stuff somewhere else.

Letting go of annoying events is not easy, but to ease the rest of the journey it's a good skill to have. I always try to remember that I'm not special in any way. My rising-time might not suit you, the same goes for my walking speed or how often or how long I take breaks or whatever. I just try to remember that people do the stuff they do for their own reasons and their all valid as much as mine.

Someone spilling 2 liters of water on my stuff would probably piss me off! (Unless I was stupid enough to leave my own bottle opened and ready to be kicked over :eek:)

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Icacos

Veteran Member
Sep 11, 2012
BC Canada
Camino Frances (2013)
How do you know the early risers are albergue racers? Psychic powers or have you asked them?
Maybe the people who cue up in front of a still closed albergue are the people who only walk 10km a day... who knows....

Not to say that racing pilgrims don't exist, but some might have a good reason to start early.

- I like the solitude
- I get the whole magic sun-rise event; the alternation of light/temperature and just seeing the country come alive makes the walk less tedious.
(or I can walk farther or can take more/longer breaks and still arrive at a 'decent' time)

For me it has nothing to do with racing and I guess that's true for many early risers.
Of course I have the decency to get out of the dorm as quietly as possible (packing the night before) and sorting out the last minute stuff somewhere else.

Letting go of annoying events is not easy, but to ease the rest of the journey it's a good skill to have.
Someone spilling 2 liters of water on my stuff would probably piss me off! (Unless I was stupid enough to leave my own bottle opened and ready to be kicked over :eek:)
@MartinZ, the late risers love to claim that the only reason the early risers get going early is to be first at the next albergue to get a bed. They just don't get it. :)

Reactions: Tamas and wayfarer

wayfarer

Veteran Member
Aug 24, 2008
Co. Clare. Ireland
2012, 2013, 2014.
I envy people who have life changing experiences as they travel. My spiritual awakening didn't happen until several weeks if not months after I returned home from my Camino and the members here on the forum had a big hand in this as well as looking back on my Camino experiences, I learned to "let go" from sharing peoples stories here as much as from the actual Camino. It was a slower process.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Dec 2, 2014
Canby, Oregon
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017

- I like the solitude

Letting go of annoying events is not easy, but to ease the rest of the journey it's a good skill to have. I always try to remember that I'm not special in any way. My rising-time might not suit you, the same goes for my walking speed or how often or how long I take breaks or whatever. I just try to remember that people do the stuff they do for their own reasons and their all valid as much as mine.

I too am an early riser. I love this!

bsewall

Jun 12, 2012
Richmond, California
www.bsewall.com
Via de la Plata & Camino Frances (2013 & 2016).
I received many spiritual gems on the Camino and one of the best was advice from a fellow pilgrim on the first day of my journey, "Let the heavy things go and let the lighter things fill in." Those words have stayed with me ever since. I tried to find a way to express this spiritual journey on the Camino in a video.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

LauraK

Feb 13, 2006
Dallas, Texas, USA
Leon-Santiago (2004) Roncesvalles-Leon (2006) Camino Frances (2012) Kumano Kodo-Japan (2014) Camino Sanabres/Salamanca-Santiago (March 2015) Camino Del Salvador and Camino Primativo (Oct 2015)
I received many spiritual gems on the Camino and one of the best was advice from a fellow pilgrim on the first day of my journey, "Let the heavy things go and let the lighter things fill in." Those words have stayed with me ever since. I tried to find a way to express this spiritual journey on the Camino in a video.
Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Oztrekker

Apr 21, 2014
I started in st jean and am currently in leon. My foot is blistered after my boots wore out.

Facing another spiritual challenge.

Got to an albergue in palais de rais. Three women pushed in line at this san marco albergue.

Ok fine i will be patient, let it go, they are more important, and have greater entitlement than me in there minds.

Then the hospatileto gives me the worst bed in the place. Then it compounds.

My neighbour/fellow pilgrim refuses to spin around and sleep the other way so I do not have to smell his feet. I asked him nicely.

I cannot sleep the other end because there is no head board and the pillow falls down into an awkward to get at spot.

This is another spiritual test for me what would jesus do?

I hope there is a friendly puppy out there to great me tommorow.

Maybe I showed weakness and got walked on? I choose to walk softly and gently in gods light on gods highway.

DSC_3286.JPG

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Oztrekker

Apr 21, 2014

I am directly opposite. His feet smell and have some blister bandages on the toes. Why cant he sleep the other way with his feet pointing at the wall thus offending no ones alfactory senses.

Is it to hard for some people to be well mannered. Good manners do not cost anything.

Reactions: amorfati1
M

Mark Lee

He looks exhausted, @Oztrekker. Are you in the bed to his left? are you directly across, from the vantage point of the photo? You must have a very good nose.
Yeah, there's a partition dividing the two bunks. Can't say I would even notice the guy's feet on the other side, and that looks like a good albergue. Looks clean. Modern metal bunks. Rubberized mattresses. Both of which reduce bedbug habitat, and it looks like it provided you with pillow and mattress covers as well as blankets.
The guy's just chilling after his day's walk. I gotta say, if someone, especially a man, asked me to face the other way in my bunk, I'd just respond with the old, "what are you, nuts?" look.

MartinZ

Jun 17, 2014
Netherlands
camino frances 2012 ... 2017
Your spot is on the top-left?
That doesn't look so bad to me; A fresh mattress cover is always nice, it doesn't look like everybody has to pass you when their going to the bathroom at night, judging by the light there's no window next to you (there's always someone who insists it stays open for the night; guess who gets the cold draft and all the mosquitoes). You definitely going to have worse sleeping places!

If the guy on the top-right is the culprit.... try ask him a favour when he's rested and his feet have 'healed' somewhat.
(Maybe he just doesn't want to lay head-to-head because of snoring or intimacy problems or something)

The girl (?... pink thing, lots of tubes) beneath you seems to be managing her pillow.....
Don't you worry too much? Drop your pillow and ask it back, who knows, you might find a new friend!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Oztrekker

Apr 21, 2014

There is no patrtition it is just a square number that goes 20percent of thr way across. The feet can be seen clearly and smelt.

€60,-

Oztrekker

Apr 21, 2014

Jesus would offer to wash his feet, should I go the next step.

Reactions: MartinZ

Oztrekker

Apr 21, 2014

They could fit an extra row of bunk bed in there. Lol

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dec 2, 2014
Canby, Oregon
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017

NO! and for heaven's sake, do not take any more photos of the poor bloke! He's probably texting his forum that some "blank blank" (you fill it in) is obsessing about his orientation in his bunk! ;)

Icacos

Veteran Member
Sep 11, 2012
BC Canada
Camino Frances (2013)
I wouldn't go that far, but I might offer him some soap, and perhaps a washcloth. I'm thinking that this guy might acquire the same legendary status as the guy with the smelly shirt.

Sorry, @Oztrekker, I can't take this too seriously, :D but do let us know of any further difficulties you encounter. :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
M

Mark Lee

C'mon, man. It's all part of communal living, which to most of us is part of walking the Camino. Some realize they just aren't flexible enough to deal with it, so they seek private accommodations every night.
Overall, never had any really bad experiences in any albergue on both my Caminos. Nothing that couldn't be looked aside. Sure, there are loud people, smelly people, rude people, etc etc etc in any albergue at any time, but by early the next morning you are out of there and when you only dropping 5-10 euros a night, what the heck do you expect? Honestly, I tried to spend as little time as possible in the albergue after cleaning up and doing my wash. Just a place to crash for a few hours.
Don't know if you were ever in the military, but communal living is the norm at times. You learn to put up with a lot and just go with the flow. Ain't nuthin but a thing.....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Lydia Gillen

Veteran Member
Sep 22, 2010
Ireland
Camino Frances 2007/8/9, 2011 , 2012/13/14. C.F 2015
Camino Portugues 2017,2018,2019
volunteering
During the middle ages when there were about 400,000 on the Camino each year and pilgrims slept in the Cathedral, they were so smelly that it was necessary to get a very big thurible and fill it with coals and incense to try to overcome the odour. Nowadays pilgrims long to witness the butofumero swinging and forget the reason why it was necessary to have it so very very big. Rejoice that you live in the 21st century !!!
May our prayers rise up to God like the smoke from the butofumero.

NualaOC

Veteran Member
Mar 11, 2012
Ireland
A few and hopefully lots more.
@Oztrekker, this thread started out so well - I hope you can return to that happier and more tolerant place. I wonder if you need a night in a private room to give you a break from the trials of communal living. Or perhaps a break from technology to allow you to connect in a deeper way with those around you. The last 100kms bring different challenges to other parts of the Camino, but it would be such a shame if you arrived in Santiago with a negative mindset.

Sorry if this sounds harsh. I wish you a happy and peaceful journey. I hope that you meet lots of friendly dogs over the next few days :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Oztrekker

Apr 21, 2014

I am sure I will have a tonne of laughs as I always try to look on the bright side of life. Live love laugh, have you laughed today? SabineP has. That was my spiritual awakening for today. What would jesus do? What would jesus want for me?

SabsP

Veteran Member
Feb 18, 2010
Belgium
some and then more. see my signature.
I am sure I will have a tonne of laughs as I always try to look on the bright side of life. Live love laugh, have you laughed today? SabineP has. That was my spiritual awakening for today. What would jesus do? What would jesus want for me?

My laugh in this case was highly ironical bordering towards sarcasm...
Jesus being a very nice chap would have had a laugh too...

Reactions: wayfarer

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Feb 17, 2015
Canada
Frances; Aragones; VdlP; Madrid-Invierno; Levante
The "smelly feet" post reminds me of a couple of threads where "camino sick" people remind one another of the irritating aspects of the camino, because if they were experiencing these irritations then they would be on the camino, presumably instead of wherever else they happen to be. I must agree with Oztrekker that the irritations of communal living generally do not seem so funny at the time. I am hoping that I shall have a few extra euros for my camino in the fall, so I can get a single room when I simply can't stand sharing my living space with such annoying people for one more day. I'm sure that they would thank me. Does anyone know of a good "smell blocker?" Maybe Tiger Balm would work, as I can't smell anything else when that is present. Other suggestions welcome. Buen camino to all.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

William Garza

Veteran Member
Jul 14, 2014
Corpus Christi,Texas
Camino Frances, The Jakobsweg
Time
Distance
Exhaustion from fighting chronic pain every moment,
Brings stillness,quieting what is bestirring the waters.bringing the mirror to the fore
To where i can see my soul reflected.

Ashes await us all
Mine came sooner than wanted or expected.
But my ashes became a sonnet,written by broken quill and bitter pills.

It wasnt till i remembered to be still to remember
Pain is inevitable
Suffering..
Is optional.

The spirit never ceases to awaken..if you decide to want it so.
Smelly feets,and,all, i wonder if he will wake up to consider others?

Your Angel will forevermore be right there..
Whispering into you and some times you will hear.
She will speak of far places and friendly faces...
You have to want it
Just let go
The essential "you"will shine forth,others who know will see.
As you walk under the river of stars
Let the ones who offend you go,as they fall away,so will your burdens
Be Blessed

Reactions: Oztrekker
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

LauraK

Feb 13, 2006
Dallas, Texas, USA
Oztrekker: Loving the honesty in your posts. I think it is so reflective of the camino experience. A deep spiritual eye-opening experience, empathy and love one day and smelly feet the next day. I do think it is interesting that other posters are responding somewhat negatively to your post...renaming the post?...stop using technology?...get a private room?...focus on mind not matter? Just keep walking your camino and thank you for sharing your thoughts. I think your posts are actually quite related to the title "spiritual awakening". I can feel your heart through your frustration and humor. There has been a shift from some of your earlier posts.

MTtoCamino

Veteran Member
Mar 1, 2013
Missoula Mt
Francis SJPdP to Finnestere April(2014)
An albergue is a bare-bones operation, basically a flophouse for transients. You choose the cheapest housing option, you have to settle for what you get.
This is very true as alburgues can be very basic & it is all I stayed in, some your on the floor others feel like a palace. Since pilgrims are transient I agree, I guess some peoples flophouse is another's palace.
But I think a person should try them & make the decision for yourself if you can tolerate humanity.
As far as stinky feet not much you can do but ask him to wash his feet, unless he has infected blisters & can't. But it is worth asking the worse he can do is yell at you in his native tongue. In any case if they are infected he won't catch you the next day. Or if you can get a trash liner & pin it to the sealin you can create a barrier. Then still put your head at the other end but unfortunately the stench will waff. Ask all the women in the room if they have any perfume? Good luck!

Last edited:

William Garza

Veteran Member
Jul 14, 2014
Corpus Christi,Texas
Camino Frances, The Jakobsweg
Be Blessed
May the awakening be as gentle as the kiss from the golden dawn
May the Fruits be filling your Soul
May they carry yout trough the darkness of some days
And loft you in the brightest.

I reread your post and the girl reminded me of what really matters,

I hope your steps are as light as your soul

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
May 3, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
solowalk2020.travel.blog
walking every day for the rest of my life

It's probably too late now, but if you meet him again under similar circumstances, you could decide to "go the extra mile" - or seven to the next albergue!

Reactions: CaminoDebrita

Oztrekker

Apr 21, 2014

Today I may walk from azura to santiago.

Yesterday I met a new amazing friend and had an amazing day.

For me treking lightly and softly helps me to awaken.

I questioned myself why I got upset in the albergue.

Regarding the albergue, with the malodorous feet - it had a single shutter window.

An old french lady on a folder bed closed it, without asking anyone - on three occasions, and turned it into a human fume chamber. There was zero ventilation. I left and slept in the lobby. The dormitory woke up late and sick.

Allot can change on the camino in 24 hours. As an experienced trekker i always put my health and safety as my first priority. I think my intuition was telling me,subconsciously, that the room was a health risk. And talking to my dorm mates over a cafe con leche the next day- it was. They were feeling off color, congested and had an unusual sticky itchy sweat - as did I.

My new friend is in an anxious mental state - it reminds me of the need to relax, be soft, gentle and cool. I realised the importance of maintaining this mental state so I can see the world more clearly and in a balanced way. Also I am able to feel my heart and spirit better.

To soak up gods blessings and lessons as I trek my last days is amazing.

What wisdom will i recieve at the pilgrims mass that will guide me towards a greater spiritual awakening? A spiritual understanding of myself and progression in this life.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Coleen Clark

Feb 14, 2015
Trenton, NC
Today I may walk from azura to santiago.

Yesterday I met a new amazing friend and had an amazing day.

For me treking lightly and softly helps me to awaken.

I questioned myself why I got upset in the albergue.

Regarding the albergue, with the malodorous feet - it had a single shutter window.

An old french lady on a folder bed closed it, without asking anyone - on three occasions, and turned it into a human fume chamber. There was zero ventilation. I left and slept in the lobby. The dormitory woke up late and sick.

Allot can change on the camino in 24 hours. As an experienced trekker i always put my health and safety as my first priority. I think my intuition was telling me,subconsciously, that the room was a health risk. And talking to my dorm mates over a cafe con leche the next day- it was. They were feeling off color, congested and had an unusual sticky itchy sweat - as did I.

My new friend is in an anxious mental state - it reminds me of the need to relax, be soft, gentle and cool. I realised the importance of maintaining this mental state so I can see the world more clearly and in a balanced way. Also I am able to feel my heart and spirit better.

To soak up gods blessings and lessons as I trek my last days is amazing.

What wisdom will i recieve at the pilgrims mass that will guide me towards a greater spiritual awakening? A spiritual understanding of myself and progression in this life.
None. The wisdom you were seeking was on the journey. The tolerance, the acceptance, the humanity, the forgiveness, the sense of accomplishment were in your pack all the time. Carry them now, they weigh nothing and are worth more than gold.

€149,-

Oztrekker

Apr 21, 2014

What a difference a single day can make in ones life.

Reactions: C clearly

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides