• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Neda or Pontdeume?

SilverPink

Time of past OR future Camino
13/9/2023
So I’m starting the íngles from Ferrol today, and I know that the most common stage split is Pontdeume/Betanzos/Hospital de Bruma. However I was looking at Stingy Nomad’s stage split and they’ve done Neda/Miño/Presedo. The reason they’ve done this is because they were getting into Ferrol later in the day and so it was best to walk 15km to Neda instead of 29 to Pontdeume.
I want to be sociable and actually see people and so ideally I’d do the more popular Pontdeume split, but I’m only getting into Ferrol at noon-ish. Which means I’d be getting to Pontdeume quite late- planning to stay in public alberges so worried there won’t be any beds left! Thoughts?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would savour the time. If you’re not pressured for time ., stop at Neda.
It’s such a ‘curly’ exit from Ferrol .. it still seems you can see Ferrol for a long time.
Nothing to stop you stopping in Pontedeume too. Btw you don’t have to follow any ‘standard ‘ stages. Let it flow.
Decide when you get to Neda

Buen camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Mwybe slow down and stay in Farrol? You can chose where you want to land the next day?
A good suggestion but I’ve already booked my flight home so will have to walk some amount today to get to Santiago on time! Does anyone know if the municipal albergue in Pontdeume often fills up quickly?

I would savour the time. If you’re not pressured for time ., stop at Neda.
It’s such a ‘curly’ exit from Ferrol .. it still seems you can see Ferrol for a long time.
Nothing to stop you stopping in Pontedeume too. Btw you don’t have to follow any ‘standard ‘ stages. Let it flow.
Decide when you get to Neda

Buen camino
Thank you for the advice!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A good suggestion but I’ve already booked my flight home so will have to walk some amount today to get to Santiago on time! Does anyone know if the municipal albergue in Pontdeume often fills up quickly?
If there's a lot of people on the trail at the moment, yes. @Wolfinho is a couple of days ahead of you and posted two days ago that he was struggling to find a bed, but he didn't wait to see if he'd have room in the Albergue or not. Apparently they're not opening until 16.30.
You'll enjoy the walk a heck of a lot more if you don't have to stress! Take it easy today, it's a pleasant stroll to Neda and a lovely little Albergue.

Incidentally, strongly recommend that you book the private Albergue in Bruma (tonight!) should you plan to include that in your stages. Either that, or plan on an early start that day.Personally I'd try and go ' Off stage ', much easier for you to do if you stay in Neda tonight.
I love the Inglès, Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Incidentally, strongly recommend that you book the private Albergue in Bruma (tonight!) should you plan to include that in your stages. Either that, or plan on an early start that day.Personally I'd try and go ' Off stage ', much easier for you to do if you stay in Neda tonight.
I love the Inglès, Buen Camino!
Thank you for your advice! I’m leaning towards Neda too was just worried about some things said on other threads about that Albergue possibly being uncomfortable for a solo female traveller

If the albergue at Neda isn't to your taste, try Hotel Kensington.

When I walked the English Way last April, the albergue was still shuttered, so I had to walk backwards to get a room there!

Neda is a super cute town by a tidal river. I stayed there overnight (16 km the first day is a nice way to get into the trek I think) and then the next morning leisurely walked out of town on the boardwalk. I’d recommend stopping there if you can. I booked ahead at Pensión Maragato and also ate lunch there.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Neda is a super cute town by a tidal river. I stayed there overnight (16 km the first day is a nice way to get into the trek I think) and then the next morning leisurely walked out of town on the boardwalk. I’d recommend stopping there if you can. I booked ahead at Pensión Maragato and also ate lunch there.
That was closed when I walked too! :-(

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked this route a few weeks ago. In order to make it in five days and make the stages reasonable for me I cut off the 4-5 KM by crossing the pedestrian/bike path by the train bridge just before the monestery. I heard from several people that the first stage to Neda was “too short “. I was still able to receive a compostela for walking more than 100 KM. Pontedeume is very nice. You’ll meet lots of pilgrims there. Buen Camino

I walked this Camino in June. Because of my advanced age I tried to keep the legs to 20klm each day. I therefore stayed the first night in Neda then Pontedeume, Bezantos, Presedo, O Outeiro, Segueiro and santiago.
There are some steep climbs so I would not recommend long legs unless you are a very fit person.

We arrived late on Monday night and opted to split the Pontedeume stage by stopping at Neda. We are glad we did as we did not fancy a long first day after a late arrival.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back