• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need to buy day pack in Burgos

Sheesh

Time of past OR future Camino
2009, 2013, 2022
I'll be in Burgos in a couple of days and I need to buy a small day pack. Something around 15 l perhaps. I'm on my phone and my SIM card is crashing ( long story) so its making it very difficult to search. I know there's a Decathlon but it's not in central Burgos and I would prefer something easily walkable from the centre. Any suggestions for local sporting goods stores that won't charge an arm and a leg? Many thanks.

Or bus details on how to get to Decathlon would work too. Txs

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Honestly, the best thing it to wear your back pack, with the hip belt and send on another bag with some of your stuff. That hip belt takes any weight in your pack off of your shoulders.
Once you put your water, poncho, snacks, 1st aid, extra socks, into a day bag, it will drag down your shoulders.
There are "China" stores all over every medium to large city, including in Burgos, and you can find a bag there to use. Any kind of small duffel bag or sports bag will do.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'll be in Burgos in a couple of days and I need to buy a small day pack. Something around 15 l perhaps. I'm on my phone and my SIM card is crashing ( long story) so its making it very difficult to search. I know there's a Decathlon but it's not in central Burgos and I would prefer something easily walkable from the centre. Any suggestions for local sporting goods stores that won't charge an arm and a leg? Many thanks.

There's a SUMMIT MONTANA & OUTDOOR store just 3 blocks from the Cathedral. It's a real outfitter with lots of choices and caters to pilgrims

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

1715784008647.png

Honestly, the best thing it to wear your back pack, with the hip belt and send on another bag with some of your stuff. That hip belt takes any weight in your pack off of your shoulders.
Once you put your water, poncho, snacks, 1st aid, extra socks, into a day bag, it will drag down your shoulders.
There are "China" stores all over every medium to large city, including in Burgos, and you can find a bag there to use. Any kind of small duffel bag or sports bag will do.
I'm sure you mean well, but it's a bit presumptuous to believe you know what I want or need to carry in a day pack. FYI I don't carry extra socks, I only carry a bag of peanuts as a snack and I carry my water in a front pouch. And I know all about the mechanics of unsupported weight on shoulders. I asked a simple question and I got great, clear to-the-point responses from a couple of the forum members and I'm grateful for that.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm sure you mean well, but it's a bit presumptuous to believe you know what I want or need to carry in a day pack. FYI I don't carry extra socks, I only carry a bag of peanuts as a snack and I carry my water in a front pouch. And I know all about the mechanics of unsupported weight on shoulders. I asked a simple question and I got great, clear to-the-point responses from a couple of the forum members and I'm grateful for that.
. . . and you got what could be a good alternative suggestion from a well meaning veteran member of the forum as well. Bonus!

Wow, excuse me for trying to help you with some advice. I was not being presumptious.
100s of people ask this question on FB pages and have never thought about what that weight does to their shoulders with a day pack.
Just ignore my advice then. Easy peasy.

Look for the Chinese bizarre stores. They got great bags and they’re inexpensive.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A few years back a fellow pilgrim was sending his pack ahead and was carrying just a snack and water.
I had stepped out of the albergue to check the weather. Back in reception I mentioned to him that it was a bit chilly for shorts and a shirt. When we met up 12 kms later in Hontanas I encountered one sorry pilgrim almost blue with cold. Fortunately I could offer a spare fleece which I had forgotten to donate in the albergue.
Be prepared ain't just for Boy Scouts!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Is there a list of albergues that also have private rooms on the Camino Frances? Gracias.
Hi everyone -- After walking the Frances from SJpdP last October, I'm planning to revisit the bit between Logrono and Burgos this July, following different stages. It's the section where I had...
I started out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 1 May. It turned out to be an unforgetable day. Above 1,000 m or so it snowed, catching many people unprepared. Later that day "many" walkers were...
And another attempt looms, to buy a decent Poncho after trying and failing in the previous two likely towns. Anyone know where an Altos or similar might be bought in Leon, please? 😁

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back