• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nervous first timer

garlicbread

Time of past OR future Camino
05/01/2024
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or crowds but being stranded sounds like a nightmare.

I am reasonably prepared otherwise! Excited to start. Had a lot of shake ups recently (lost job, had a break up) so I’m ready for this kind of journey. Any advice or well wishes to calm my nerves much appreciated!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Any advice or well wishes to calm my nerves much appreciated!
You have my well wishes! 🙂 The first Camino is so exciting!
My only advice would be to try and book ahead an albergue in StJeanpdePort for the first night, so you don’t have to worry about that. And go to the pilgrim’s office when you arrive, they’ll answer any questions you may have, lovely people! 😎
And may I add the inevitable: BUEN CAMINO! 😁

You have my well wishes! 🙂 The first Camino is so exciting!
My only advice would be to try and book ahead an albergue in StJeanpdePort for the first night, so you don’t have to worry about that. And go to the pilgrim’s office when you arrive, they’ll answer any questions you may have, lovely people! 😎

I should have mentioned, I booked SJPDP and Roncesvalles. Wish I could book Zubiri but it’s not looking likely… I am asking every albergue in town. In pamplona I got a hotel room.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In addition to Domigee's wise advice about booking ahead for SJPdP, IME the next few nights' lodgings in, typically, Roncesvalles and Zubiri, also tend to fill to capacity. It might be prudent to try to reserve lodgings there too. And find out in advance the telephone numbers of local Spanish taxi companies (assuming you will have a Spain-compatible mobile phone) so that you can in emergency call a cab and motor to next town that still has lodgings available. You can next morning taxi back to where you left off the day before, to avoid gaps in your pilgrimage experience.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Try to go between the official stages. Less crowded.
Just to clarify for the OP who is a first timer, there are no ‘official stages’. There are just some end-of-stage destinations that are more popular than others because they are in guides (eg Brierley, Gronze etc), have more facilities, are a convenient distance from the last popular overnight stop etc.

Just to clarify for the OP who I believe is a first timer, there are no ‘official stages’. There are just some end-of-stage destinations that are more popular than others because they are in guides (eg Brierley, Gronze etc), have more facilities, are a convenient distance from the last popular overnight stop etc.
I stand corrected! 😎

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Maybe try to walk off-stage right from the beginning.

I'd say, book a bed for your first night in St. Jean, and then maybe until Pamplona. By then it should be easier to find beds without booking.

Most pilgrims will walk St. Jean - Napoleon route to Roncesvalles - Zubiri or Larassoana - Pamplona. So, those places often fill up quickly.

If you prefer not to make reservations or want to get away from the crowds, you could try walking different stages instead, for example:

St. Jean - Valcarlos (lower route, short first day, albergue municipal can be booked) - Espinal (private albergues, can be booked, if you don't find anything try the Camping Urrobi slightly off the way, they also have pilgrims beds!)- Zabaldika (parroquial donativo, first come first served, therefore bed safe if you arrive early enough) - Cizur Menor (non bookable). Or If you want to spend more time in Pamplona, you could stop at albergue Casa paderborn (can't be booked, and when you arrive from Zabaldika, you should be there early enough to get a bed).

Not a popular opinion, but I'd also advise to bring a sleeping mat additional to the sleeping bag during high season.

A light foam mat is enough. Not that much more weight, but if a town is truly full, sometimes emergency shelters are opened, and having a mat can be very helpful then.

If all fails, don't panic.

Walk to the next bar. Sit down and have a coffee. Make some phone calls to find out where the next place with an available bed is. Ask the person behind the bar counter to please call you a taxi there. Problem solved.

Wish you a Buen Camino!!!

Maybe try to walk off-stage right from the beginning.

I'd say, book a bed for your first night in St. Jean, and then maybe until Pamplona. By then it should be easier to find beds without booking.

Most pilgrims will walk St. Jean - Napoleon route to Roncesvalles - Zubiri or Larassoana - Pamplona. So, those places often fill up quickly.

If you prefer not to make reservations or want to get away from the crowds, you could try walking different stages instead, for example:

St. Jean - Valcarlos (lower route, short first day, albergue municipal can be booked) - Espinal (private albergues, can be booked, if you don't find anything try the Camping Urrobi slightly off the way, they also have pilgrims beds!)- Zabaldika (parroquial donativo, first come first served, therefore bed safe if you arrive early enough) - Cizur Menor (non bookable). Or If you want to spend more time in Pamplona, you could stop at albergue Casa paderborn (can't be booked, and when you arrive from Zabaldika, you should be there early enough to get a bed).

Not a popular opinion, but I'd also advise to bring a sleeping mat additional to the sleeping bag during high season.

A light foam mat is enough. Not that much more weight, but if a town is truly full, sometimes emergency shelters are opened, and having a mat can be very helpful then.

If all fails, don't panic.

Walk to the next bar. Sit down and have a coffee. Make some phone calls to find out where the next place with an available bed is. Ask the person behind the bar counter to please call you a taxi there. Problem solved.

Wish you a Buen Camino!!!
Thank you! Great suggestions! I managed to book Zubiri and Pamplona today. But if that falls through I’ll turn back to your suggestions.

Thank you! Great suggestions! I managed to book Zubiri and Pamplona today. But if that falls through I’ll turn back to your suggestions.
Good. I hope you feel good now about your trip. Once you get started, you’ll fall into a rhythm pretty quickly, and booking accommodation on the go won’t be a hassle - especially if you use the type of sources like gronze.com as well as apps like Wise Pilgrim or Buen Camino, and are flexible.

EDIT: Oh and if you haven’t already, download WhatsApp to your phone. It’s widely used in Spain and you can use the translate function when sending/receiving messages re checking accommodation availability/booking. Not all albergues etc use it, but many do.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@garlicbread , you've now got the first part sorted, you'll be fine.

Some good advice above. Two things that nobody has yet mentioned:
1/ in your phone contacts load the number 112 under police/ fire/ ambulance. That way in an emergency you don't have to think, it'll be there for you.

Secondly download the app alertcops. As you're coming from the states you might find it easier to do this once you get into Spain, some people struggle in the USA.

There's also an iPhone variant.

Alert cops is obviously primarily the police. The operators speak English, and it's not just for emergency calls but non-emergency situations too - theft, reporting accidents etc.

There is very useful information on how this works and the additional services they offer (SOS function, services for the deaf for example) here:

Buen Camino!

Great advice in the posts above !
Firstly have a great Camino, being nervous is normal that's part of the thrill!
If your not already familiar with the Gronze website when planning and booking your trip its a great asset (in Spanish but chrome browser translates to English)
I use it and Wise Pilgrim (got me through my Camino's)

Wise pilgrim has just launched a feature on his Frances app showing what availability there is regarding Albergue beds! (it's not comprehensive yet; but where an Albergue is participating just needs a quick look at the app it might help)
The app is worth the money (price of a coffee) has loads of info, accommodation, whats app, phone numbers, web links, Facebook and Pilgrim reviews very easy to use.

You'll soon walk off those nerves. The Camino is a great place to walk out your problems. I'm sure you're going to have an amazing time on this beautiful path through this beautiful country.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I started in Saint Jean on April 29. I havnt pre-booked any of the days and haven't had a problem getting a bed. What I've been seeing is a lot of people pre-booking the private rooms. If your ok with the bunk rooms, particularly at the municipal albergues, you should be OK.
Don't be nervous! The Camino is an awesome experience!!

I started in Saint Jean on April 29. I havnt pre-booked any of the days and haven't had a problem getting a bed. What I've been seeing is a lot of people pre-booking the private rooms. If your ok with the bunk rooms, particularly at the municipal albergues, you should be OK.
Don't be nervous! The Camino is an awesome experience!!
It's only April 28. Do you mean the 19th?

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or crowds but being stranded sounds like a nightmare.

I am reasonably prepared otherwise! Excited to start. Had a lot of shake ups recently (lost job, had a break up) so I’m ready for this kind of journey. Any advice or well wishes to calm my nerves much appreciated!
When do you start ? I'm there starting on the 2nd !

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Greetings to everyone, my name is Emre, I am actually from Turkey but I am currently doing an internship in Paris. I have had experience with routes such as the Lycian Way before, so I think I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.