New again ☺️

Stefania Rodgers

Aug 6, 2022
Florida
Time of past OR future Camino
Past Camino 2014
I am beginning to plan another Camino. My only Camino frances was in 2014. During that trip I injured my Achilles tendon and got shin splints. Regardless, the next year I hiked the John Muir trail in England. That trip I broke my foot! It was a stress fracture near the end of the trail.
So 8 years later I really want to get back to the Camino. This time I am going to do just a couple weeks before returning home in an effort to reduce my risks of leg/foot problems.
My decision is do I start at Sarria and do the slow paced 2 weeks or do I start further back and just plan on returning for a few years? I will be nearly 68 by next fall and want to go in September if possible. I live in a very flat part of the USA. So walking up and down stairs or using a stair climber are my only choices for hill training.
Sorry for the long post. Thank you in advance for any help or encouragement.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

SabsP

Veteran Member
Feb 18, 2010
Belgium
some and then more. see my signature.
I am beginning to plan another Camino. My only Camino frances was in 2014. During that trip I injured my Achilles tendon and got shin splints. Regardless, the next year I hiked the John Muir trail in England. That trip I broke my foot! It was a stress fracture near the end of the trail.
So 8 years later I really want to get back to the Camino. This time I am going to do just a couple weeks before returning home in an effort to reduce my risks of leg/foot problems.
My decision is do I start at Sarria and do the slow paced 2 weeks or do I start further back and just plan on returning for a few years? I will be nearly 68 by next fall and want to go in September if possible. I live in a very flat part of the USA. So walking up and down stairs or using a stair climber are my only choices for hill training.

Hi and welcome here!
Btw not a long post at all...you should see other ones... :)
I think that a slow paced Camino from Sarria on sounds very feasible! And if you are able to walk more kilometers than maybe the epilogue to Finisterre might be doable also?

Happy preparations!

xin loi

Mar 31, 2014
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Walked May 14, 2014 from St Jean France

starting to walk again August 25, 2016 --SJPDP to Finisterre
Do it right! Start at SJPDP and take your time! Lot of people with leg/foot problems walk the whole Camino. Might take a couple years to finish but that is very common. Age--did SJPDP to Finisterre at 69 and did the Primitivo this year at 74. While walking the Primitivo in May at least 30% of walkers were over 70. Hills? --I do NOT think you can really train for a Camino--it is the day after day after day that wears you down. Recall meeting a man who trained by walking 20 Km each day for 30 days in a row--he could have just walked the Camino!

Reactions: Stefania Rodgers
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

SabsP

Veteran Member
Feb 18, 2010
Belgium
some and then more. see my signature.
Do it right! Start at SJPDP and take your time! Lot of people with leg/foot problems walk the whole Camino. Might take a couple years to finish but that is very common. Age--did SJPDP to Finisterre at 69 and did the Primitivo this year at 74. While walking the Primitivo in May at least 30% of walkers were over 70. Hills? --I do NOT think you can really train for a Camino--it is the day after day after day that wears you down. Recall meeting a man who trained by walking 20 Km each day for 30 days in a row--he could have just walked the Camino!

There is no such thing as a " whole " Camino.

And certainly no right or wrong.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Most recent: Fall 2023 Aragonés, Frances
Do it right! Start at SJPDP and take your time! Lot of people with leg/foot problems walk the whole Camino.
By consciously walking a slow paced two weeks from Sarria and taking care of her body, the OP is "doing it right". She will certainly be walking a whole camino.

I do NOT think you can really train for a Camino
This kind of blanket statement doesn't make sense to me. Of course you can train - with research, practical and physical preparation, all based what we individually know about our own bodies.

Stefania Rodgers

Aug 6, 2022
Florida
Past Camino 2014
Thanks everyone for your thoughts, I appreciate it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

basquelady

Apr 30, 2013
Lancaster, UK
CF (2013), CF Pamplona to V del Bierzo (2014), Baztanés, then CF (2016), CF Sahagun to SDC (2017)
Just to clarify, the John Muir Way in the UK is in Scotland, NOT England! There is a big difference.

Mar 1, 2017
Northern Illinois, USA
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
Just to clarify, the John Muir Way in the UK is in Scotland, NOT England! There is a big difference.
And just to clarify, there is another relatively famous John Muir Trail, 200+ miles in California, USA...absolutely beautiful and a big difference to the others, ending at Mt. Whitney, elevation 14,400 ft.!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.