• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

new here and a question

dislp38

Hi, I'm in Florida and if all goes well, I'll be in Spain April 2009. Yes I'll be alone (female).
Here's my question, I'm very much a night owl and do most of my walking at night here. Has anyone ever walked the Camino at night? Would it be too dangerous to attempt it? I don't think I would like to do it every night, but after 5 years of working graveyard shift, I'm a big fan of walking at night. I would like to spend at least one night (preferably during a full moon) walking all night.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Wondering which part of Florida you are from? Tallahassee here.
My son and his friend walked all night one time and they loved it. Full moon as well. Now, what I don't know is where they walked it. May have been on the Meseta, if I'm remembering right, which is easier since there are no ups and downs and dips.... meaning less chance of tripping or falling into holes. Also less chance of missing an arrow. That would be the hardest part.... if in remote area and missing an arrow?
The other thing would be when do you stop and will the albergue you stop at allow you to sleep. Most of them close in the mornings so they can clean before the next crowd comes in.
As far as safety, a woman alone, well the camino tends to be very safe. Many women, me included walked it alone, daytime, and from what I have heard in these forums, it is reasonably safe. Personally I would want a walking partner if I walked all night.
I think it is a wonderful idea, go for it.
Lillian

Hi!

Walking at least one stage at night is a ''tradition'' in some circles the same way it is to take at least one picture of your shadow.
Personally I did it twice and enjoyed it to the utmost.
Lillian is right, the best place is on the Meseta. Straight, flat, easy to follow and unobstructed ''view''.
The trick is to start a little past midnight, giving you time to rest well before leaving and arriving at the end of your stage when local activities are starting. Forget the albergue for your rest at the end and think in terms of a small hostal or pension, keeping in mind that in some parts of Spain the law doesn't permit the allocation of rooms before noon ( I had to convince the owner each time).
If I may suggest, around El Burgo Ranero is ideal (i.e. Sahagun-El Burgo R or El Burgo R-Mansilla).

Ultreia!
Jean-Marc

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

During my Camino last summer, I frequently ran into members of a group that often slept "out". They tended to walk late into the night and slept under the stars for a variety of reasons which I won't get into here. The point is, it can be done, and if you enjoy that sort of thing, I'm sureit is wonderful! However, I concur that a walking partner is preferable. If a herd of cows arrives in the wee hours while you're sleeping in a field, well, it would be comforting to have a travel/walking/sleeping companion!

As you will see from the many thread here, I began both of my Caminos alone, but you remain alone only as much as you choose to be.

Buen Camino,

Hi,

Walking at night is a skill. Especially in a rural area at night (though NYC at night could be a challenge). As all have already indicated, the Meseta, under a full moon, is ideal. You can see where you're going and the reflection off the Way is as good as Broadway. Hiking with a partner has many reasons to recommend it: two extra eyes to find the next arrow, answers to your query as to "where are we?" that will not be as convincing an argument that "you are" on the right road.

So, there you have it. And, as far as cows and bulls go...#1 never come between them when they're out under the stars and #2...that soft earth, that feels so warm and inviting...may be something else entirely.

Buen cow pie...what cow pie! Camino
Arn

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for the posts... BTW, I live in Orlando. I got great news today, it looks like my Camino is becoming more of a reality. I was more concerned with the terrain at night than cows. I'm a Nebraska farm girl, so cows don't bother me. :D

Hi, and welcome. I too am from Fl., Jacksonville. One recommendation I can make is to find every hill or elevated point that you can in order to get some hill walking. We walked the bridges here in Jax and still found the elevations to be daunting. Buen camino and ultreya, John

For me, it would depend where and when you walk.
Full Moon would be a good thing.
Flat walking would be a good thing, like on the Meseta.

Some places could be not only too dark to see, but trecherous, in my opinion.

One thing for certain, there'd be no crowds!

But I wonder, where and when would you sleep?
The auburges are not open 24 hours...???

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I thought about walking the night closer to a larger City like Leon or Burgos and after a night of walking, splurging on a hotel. Otherwise, as strange as it seems, I've had experience walking for 18 hours starting in the middle of the night until midafternoon while I was at work. Or, if I can find a quiet place in the country, I have no problem sleeping under the stars when I get tired. I used to be a security guard at a theme park on graveyard... and I never could stand still at night.

Hey, Jacksonville, thanks for the advice about the hills. I'm trying to find a place in Florida with hills... it is so hard to do! I was thinking about going out to Lake Wales to the Bok Sanctuary .. they have "Iron Mountain" Florida's highest "peak" of 800 ft above sea level. Or going back to Nebraska and walking some bluffs in the country.

Hi, it's not how high...it's how steep and the interval between where you plant one foot and the next. May I suggest you find a HS or College that has a stadium you can access. Put on your gear and begin moving up an aisle to the top...initially at a slow deliberate pace...for one up and down cycle. Go down slow...every time! Never try to rush to the top...you'll only increase the chance you'll miss step. Rather, increase the number of circuits up and down.

Goes like this: Row 1 to Row 24...flat walkway...then Row A to Row Z...then flat walkway...Row AA to Row ZZ then....walk along the top lane until you regain your breath...then...VERY slowly back down to Row 1. Repeat for a total of one hour. NOTE: It doesn't matter how many circuits you do in that hour...just remember to GO SLOW! (Adjust row assignment to your particular stadium)

What you will find is that...over time (and it happens rapidly after the first week (five times a week) is that you can cover more full up rows and have to walk fewer top lanes to regain your breath. Also...and here's a key point....IF you should have a medical problem 9anything from a minor sprain to a heart attack) you're immediately accessible to folks responding to a 911 call.

If you do this religiously, I guarantee....that unless you fall somewhere along the Camino...there's not one assent you can't do in good order.

Buen huffing with less puffin' Camino
Arn

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I love Kelly´s slide show. It really made me want to strap on the pack and hit the trail, even with a couple of inches of snow on it just now...

Reb.

If you plan your daily walking itinerary using http://www.godesalco.com/plan you will be able to print out a walking itinerary that includes percentage of lunar illumination. This way you can choose where you want to walk when the moon is full.

This is one for March 2008: She started walking in 67% lunar illumination. After 10 days it was down to 0%.
10 days later it had progressed to 76% and was at full moon over Manjarin by day 25. It must have been stunning on a clear night but I don't think I would have liked to walk from Manjarin to el Acebo in the night even if there was a full moon - too many rocks! (The % sign at the end represents the lunar illumination)

1)Th, 27-3-2008 Roncesvalles - Zubiri 21.8 km 21.8 km R, P, H 6:57 to 19:26 67%
2)Fr, 28-3-2008 Zubiri - Pamplona 20.5 km 42.3 km 2R, A, H 6:56 to 19:27 56%
3)Sa, 29-3-2008 Pamplona - Obanos 21.1 km 63.4 km P, H 6:54 to 19:29 46%
4)Su, 30-3-2008 Obanos - Estella 24.4 km 87.8 km 2R, A, C, H7:53 to 20:31 36%
5)Mo, 31-3-2008 Estella - Los Arcos 21 km 108.8 km R, 3P, H 7:53 to 20:33 26%
6)Tu, 1-4-2008 Los Arcos - Viana 18 km 126.8 km 2R, H 7:52 to 20:34 17%
7)We, 2-4-2008 Viana - Navarrete 22.1 km 148.9 km R, 2P, C, H 7:51 to 20:36 10%
8)Th, 3-4-2008 Navarrete - Azofra 22 km 170.9 km R, P 7:50 to 20:38 5%
9)Fr, 4-4-2008 Azofra - Grañón 22.8 km 193.7 km R, A 7:49 to 20:40 1%
10) Sa, 5-4-2008 Grañón - Tosantos 20.3 km 214 km R7:48 to 20:42 0%

25)Su, 20-4-2008 Manjarín - Ponferrada 22.9 km 537.5 km R, H7:37 to 21:13 100%
26)Mo, 21-4-2008 Ponferrada - Villafranca 22.4 km 559.9 km R, P, C, H 7:36 to 21:15 98%

34) Tu, 29-4-2008 Santa Irene - Santiago 22.1 km 748.5 km R, P, C, H7:30 to 21:32 31%

Good luck!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think its Arturo's website that is amazing! I use it often and love printing the option with the lunar illumination.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.