• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New to the Camino

PNWMC81

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk (2013)
Hello, I am Matt from Portland, OR. I have never hiked the Camino and I am set to go in September of this year! I am a bit disorganized due to my impulsive character. I came across a great flight deal last week and had to jump on it. I have been to Europe once in 2005, and I have wanted to return ever since. I am not religious, however I feel very spiritual. My friend just finished the Camino earlier this year and inspired me to go amongst other personal reasons. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hey Matt, I'm from Ashland and am starting from st.jean on September 20th. Like you, this will be my first Camino - the forum has been a fantastic resource for me. You can learn about everything from foot care, to pilgrim menus,to backpacks - have fun planning and maybe our paths will cross along the way. Cheers, Maggie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
PNWMC81 said:
Hello, I am Matt from Portland, OR. I have never hiked the Camino and I am set to go in September of this year! I am a bit disorganized due to my impulsive character. I came across a great flight deal last week and had to jump on it. I have been to Europe once in 2005, and I have wanted to return ever since. I am not religious, however I feel very spiritual. My friend just finished the Camino earlier this year and inspired me to go amongst other personal reasons. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt

Hello Matt,

Welcome to the Forum!

You will find much helpful information here as you plan your Camino. Past pilgrims who are Forum members are always eager to share their experiences and advice.

Will you be following the more famous Camino Frances ? There is no official starting point for the CF but many pilgrims start at or near the French/Spanish border in Saint Jean Pied de Port, France or Roncevalles, Spain. Often North Americans either fly to Madrid or Paris and then train/bus to their starting point. For fellow Forum members tips on getting to the camino see these Forum topics >> traveling-to-from-the-camino/ and how-to-travel-from-paris-to-sjpp-f113/

Anyone can follow the camino; along the way there is both tourist accommodation and special pilgrim housing or albergues which are generally priced at 8 or 10 euros a night for a bunk bed in a mixed dorm. In order to stay in these pilgrim albergues you must have a Pilgrim Passport or Credential. Stamped each night it provides proof of your trip when you arrive at Santiago.

In Saint-Jean the pilgrim office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle can provide you with both a Credential and lodging assistance. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. In season the pilgrims office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. Their volunteers help run the albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle but they do NOT take reservations. If their albergue is full they will help you find other pilgrim lodgings when you are on site. They keep up to the minute lists of available space throughout the SJPdP area.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hi Matt and welcome!

You may think you are disorganised but you still have plenty of time to prepare, and you've chosen one of the best times of year to go. You'll escape the worst of the summer heat and I'm sure you'll be finished before the winter snows arrive! :D Watching the seasons start to change is wonderful.

As others have said, just browse the forum and soak up the experiences and concerns of others. Be ruthless in your packing, and if you suspect you might not need to take something you probably don't. Take good footwear and backpack, clothes for warm, cold, wet and dry (and combinations thereof) and a sleeping bag. Clothes that will dry quickly overnight are great and will help you cut down on how much you pack.

A few basic Spanish greetings and numbers etc will go a long way, as will a smile.

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Annie Little said:
Hi Matt

Also my first Camino starting Sept 18th from St jean

Anne

It is exciting! I will be starting around the 13th, but who knows what will happen? Good luck with your travels!

mspath said:
PNWMC81 said:

Thanks,
Matt

Hello Matt,

Welcome to the Forum!

You will find much helpful information here as you plan your Camino. Past pilgrims who are Forum members are always eager to share their experiences and advice.

Will you be following the more famous Camino Frances ? There is no official starting point for the CF but many pilgrims start at or near the French/Spanish border in Saint Jean Pied de Port, France or Roncevalles, Spain. Often North Americans either fly to Madrid or Paris and then train/bus to their starting point. For fellow Forum members tips on getting to the camino see these Forum topics >> traveling-to-from-the-camino/ and how-to-travel-from-paris-to-sjpp-f113/

Anyone can follow the camino; along the way there is both tourist accommodation and special pilgrim housing or albergues which are generally priced at 8 or 10 euros a night for a bunk bed in a mixed dorm. In order to stay in these pilgrim albergues you must have a Pilgrim Passport or Credential. Stamped each night it provides proof of your trip when you arrive at Santiago.

In Saint-Jean the pilgrim office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle can provide you with both a Credential and lodging assistance. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. In season the pilgrims office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. Their volunteers help run the albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle but they do NOT take reservations. If their albergue is full they will help you find other pilgrim lodgings when you are on site. They keep up to the minute lists of available space throughout the SJPdP area.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Thanks for your help Margaret, I will be starting in Saint-Jean. I fly into Madrid and will take a train to Pamplona and a bus to Saint-Jean. I am so excited!

Buen Camino,
Matt

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
tyrrek said:
Hi Matt and welcome!

You may think you are disorganised but you still have plenty of time to prepare, and you've chosen one of the best times of year to go. You'll escape the worst of the summer heat and I'm sure you'll be finished before the winter snows arrive! :D Watching the seasons start to change is wonderful.

As others have said, just browse the forum and soak up the experiences and concerns of others. Be ruthless in your packing, and if you suspect you might not need to take something you probably don't. Take good footwear and backpack, clothes for warm, cold, wet and dry (and combinations thereof) and a sleeping bag. Clothes that will dry quickly overnight are great and will help you cut down on how much you pack.

A few basic Spanish greetings and numbers etc will go a long way, as will a smile.

Buen Camino!

I am glad I chose September! I hope I avoid any snow, but what shall be will be. Ever since I purchased my plane ticket I can't stop smiling so, hopefully it last...Thanks for your help.

Buen Camino,
Matt

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.