• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New to the Forum

Frood

Salut mes amis:

I have just joined this forum and am renewing my interest in the Camino after a 10 year hiatus. I walked about 400 km (started in SJPP, missed some sections in the middle due to feet and time, then walked the last 250 K or so at the end) in 2001 during my 50th year and am now looking at another reflective walk during my 60th year. I will likely start at Le Puy in early September and see how far I get by the early part of October. I hope to follow up with a continuation of the journey in the Spring, possibly taking the northern route.

During my first walk it was important to start off alone, creating an extended "time out" for myself. At the conclusion of my walk, I thought, in a general sort of way, that I might do it again when I turned sixty.

So here I am, following through. This time, I am not really preoccupied about preparation. I will gently invite family and friends to join me if they so wish, have the time and/or can find me on the route. This time, I will also bring a small tent and pad so that lodging is a non issue.

I am looking forward to being "in the moment" as one experiences an extended walk and also look forward to encountering an ever changing cast of characters along the route.

All the best to all

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Frood -

Welcome to the forum, and best of luck with your planning and camino experience! If you like, you will find support and assistance on this forum.

Buen camino,

lynne

Hello Frood, welcome, I was 50 when I did my first Camino too and have just celebrated my 55 th birthday. Next year my husband who will be 79 and I are planning on walking from Le Puy to Santiago. Just go steadily, it is such a wonderful way to spend your time. Bear in mind things have changed and it is a lot busier, although I found the Le Puy Route totally relaxing and luxurious, very French, not many pilgrims from other countries, especially english speaking countries, but as always a great sense of camaraderie and companionship. All the best to you, regards, Gitti

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Gitti and Lynne (a fellow Canuk).

I see the Commonwealth is alive and well - even though the representation is "la creme de la creme"..... to date, it represents a rather narrow representation.

Thanks for your advice and expressions of support.

I got a new bike today and had to do about 40K to get home (our available car was too small to take it). We live on a lake north of Peterborough. This ride served as a not so gentle reminder to get off my butt and be some somewhat serious about preparation....so I will bike, kayak and yes take the occasional stroll as well to remind my muscles that I can indeed walk for extended periods of time. The problem however is that I am 60 going on 30, and this is a recipe for injury.

Beware Frood, this is not a hoppy course of action - it is that of a geezer.

Cheers all

Frood (A real hoppy Frood who has NOT thrown in his towel)

Gosh, do you live near Peterborough in England? I used to pass through there a lot, my ex was from Scunthorpe. Did you know you can get a special Peterborough Credencial. Check out the John Brierley website for this. Enjoy your preparations. I am 55 and I never exercise at all and hit the Caminos cold, gets better and easier every time! Take it easy, regards, Gitti

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm still laughing :D :D

The Peterboroughs and the Londons and other identical place names shared by Canada and England have often caused confusion.... Yesterday I was checking airfare from Canada to London UK and didn't pay attention to which London the search engine selected and was overjoyed ("Come and see this!" to my husband) when I saw the low price . . . . to London, Ontario. :(

lynne

Oops, how weird, I have had the same thing looking for flights from Auckland to Europe and the search engine identified a place in the States, Gitti

I like your style gittihare. My Sister is doing long walks carrying a pack, walking around hills in Alicante (Spain). She's nearly 68. I'm ambling around the block occasionally, no hills around where i live in Western Australia. No pack. I'm nearly 63 . I don't want to wear out before i start. There's no hurry, one must take time to smell the flowers! 8)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Tanyaseagull,
Your approach to training is commendable, but there is another technique that insures a true spirit of suffering and pennance among starting pilgrims.

Don't walk anywhere. The longest walk you should take in a day is from the TV room to the refrigerator. Carry armloads of cheese, pastry and Spanish beer or wine back to the TV room.

Purchase an expensive 45 litre backpack (rucksack). Brands like "Gregory" or "Arcteryx" are suitable. Pack everything you could possibly need in it, and if it doesn't all fit, then return the rucksack and exchange it for a 75 litre bag.

Remember such essential items as a hairdryer, hand soap, shower gel, shampoo, and soap for washing your clothes. Other beauty aids to include are wrinkle cream, eyelash curlers, and make-up.

You will need clothing for every occasion. Two complete walking outfits for warm weather, and another set of cold weather clothes. Add to that your rainy day attire and you will be well appointed in almost any weather condition.

As well as walking clothes, you will need outfits suitable for the evening. A casual set and formal attire will be all that you need.

Shoes - Of course you will need suitable shoes to go with all of your clothes.

Accomedation will be in short supply in Holy Year so purchase a tent made by North Face or Moss...

Remember to keep your rucksack below the 50 kg weight limit for airline luggage.

Do all this, and you will groan under the load and feel all the suffering of a thousand years of pilgrims.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada

Yeah right!
It is not all about suffering though! Gitti Harre

Hi folks:

This discussion has certainly gone off in different directions.

I will be migrating to the Le Puy group where I hope to draw on the collective wisdom regarding this route and some of the practicalities associated with it.

A closing thought on how to lighten the load, based on my previous walk. At that time, I traveled with several guides covering the Via Frances - paper is heavy. I like, everyone else regularly huddled over our guide books at appropriate places. So with everyone carrying much the same information, why not lighten up, leave the Guide Books at home and borrow books from fellow pilgrims when necessary. It is all about sharing, fosters a sense of discovery and certainly reflects a back to basics approach.

Just a dated thought since an appropriate response is "suck it up Frood, use a smart phone"

Cheers

Frood

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Pilgrim Card

hello, I have one question. I decided to "make" the Caminho Portuges route to Santiago but I don't know how to receive the Pilgrim Card (I am in Portugal)??? Could you help me please. Thanks a lot. :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Mate:

When I first walked 10 years ago, I became a member of the Confraterity of St James in London and used a UK credenza. A bit odd since I am a Canadian.

Today, I received my credenza from the Canadian Group ... the Canadian Company of Pilgrims so now, on my next walk, I will be wearing the colours of the Canadian organization. Canada's colours normally are red and white but the Canadian Crendenza cover is a subtle lime green - go figure.

If your imbued with national pride, dig around a bit and I am sure you will find a Portugese organization devoted to the Camino that you can join and then get a credenza.

If you like bright lime green, check out the Canadian site, join and get a distinctive credenza. Canada is, after all a very multi-cultural society If not, go for the UK organization.

The real point to all of this is that the credenza, whatever its origins, makes you part of an international community that is committed to discovery through pilgrimage.

Enjoy the journey.

Frood

skilsaw said:
Tanyaseagull,
Your approach to training is commendable, but there is another technique that insures a true spirit of suffering and pennance among starting pilgrims.

Don't walk anywhere. The longest walk you should take in a day is from the TV room to the refrigerator. Carry armloads of cheese, pastry and Spanish beer or wine back to the TV room.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada

Dear David...you sir are a sick puppy!! Now that I'm done laughing and frantically clutching my stiches, my surgeon will be calling you later to reprimand you. Light walking is all I'm supposed to be doing...like that walk to the fridge and back!

This approach is similar to some I've met who go on organized distance rides w/o the correct gear, but what they have is beautiful, shiny and all matched. And then they wonder why they can't actually go the distance! Like the lawyer I recently rescued who didn't carry water bottles 90 degree weather (they were too heavy!) or the guy w/o spare inner tubes or a pump etc etc....so, be prepared, within reason..but ditch the makeup (well maybe not the mascara!)

To the rest of you...walk, walk and walk somemore! Put what every you like in that pack to weigh it down. My favorite thing was to go to the pantry...and just throw about half of it in and take off for my hike! End result was...I had an easier time of it than anyone in my small band of pilgrims! They laughed when I would pull out cans of beans and tomato sauce...but it worked like a charm and no danger of starvation in the woods we wandered thru!

Buena Camino one and all, Karin

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Lorincz,

The distance people walk each day varies quite a bit. On 3 camino journeys I have averaged between 26 and 28 kms per day. The distance on individual days ranged from a low of 10 kms to a high of 40 kms.

My impression from talking to other pilgrims is that many generally average 20 to 25 kms per day. The availability of albergues is a significant issue. The Camino Frances has a village every 10 kms and now most villages have an albergue. It is sometimes 30 kms between albergues on the Via de la Plata.

Don't worry about distance each day. I had terrible blisters on my last Camino and fretted about daily distance. In the end I made it to Santiago on time, and think I would have had a more relaxed journey if I didn't worry so much.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.