• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

No fear: there IS vegetarian food in Santiago

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here.

Yesterday I had a wonderful lunch at Restaurante A Porta Verde. Today I headed to the very highly recommended Green House, but be aware it's only open in the evening.

Downhearted, I wandered down Rua do Vilar And found Udon, where I'm happily scarfing a perfectly good plate of yakisoba.

Not to worry - if you don't eat meat, there are now plenty of options, and you can find them with almost no effort.

Does anyone else have a favorite recent recommendation?

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Glad to hear it! If you make it to Green House please say hello to Shanta for Wendy and I, and tell her that we hope to see her in July!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here.

Yesterday I had a wonderful lunch at Restaurante A Porta Verde. Today I headed to the very highly recommended Green House, but be aware it's only open in the evening.

Downhearted, I wandered down Rua do Vilar And found Udon, where I'm happily scarfing a perfectly good plate of yakisoba.

Not to worry - if you don't eat meat, there are now plenty of options, and you can find them with almost no effort.

Two other vegetarian restaurants I enjoyed last October were Entre Pedras and A Corre Vexeta. Check days and hours they are open.

Last edited:

We ate here last winter. They have a vegetarian/vegan section of menu and also gluten free options. It was a nice evening for us as a group. The server was careful to note allergies as well (had one person with a walnut allergy.)

I end up at OK Wok on Rúa do Franco at least once every time I'm in Santiago. It's really easy to make a vegetarian or vegan friendly noodle order there, and they're attentive to potential issues with sauces and eggs.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Like Green House, these are only open in the evening, 7:30 or 8:00 PM.
So for lunch, options are scarcer.
That said they all look fantastic.

I ate at Porta Vedra on
Rúa do Hospitaliño, 18
several times in 2022. Great food.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, so my plans have slightly changed after completing the Coastal Portuguese and Finisterre/Muxia caminos on June 13. I now have 2 extra days in Santiago and was wondering where I should head...
Hi my name is Bren I have started a daily AA English speaking meeting At 3Rua da Porta da Pena Casa Anglicana 6-7pm daily. Spread the word
Hello, What time does the office close in Santiago today? The website lists different times in different places.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.