• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Non Albergue Options ...

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
My wife and I aim to try the Camino Frances in a year or two. It will take us that long to get fit! So we are starting our walking training, and researching as much as we can.

But.....

We really don't like the idea of staying in Albergues. I am sorry to say that we are too old, too grumpy and too set in our ways to find sleeping in communal dorms in any way appealing. We also like a bit of 'us time', as this will be a chance for us to spend time together that we have not been able to in many years due to work and family commitments. i.e. Fellow Pilgrims, I'd love to share a meal, a glass of wine and a joke or two. But I'm sorry, I don't want to sleep with you too :) And by the way, I snore like a Train, so you don't want me any where near an Albergue!

So I've been reading all I can about alternatives. And I also recently got a copy of the Brierley Guide, which seems very comprehensive.

OK, onto my question. The Brierley Guide seems to focus mainly on doing the Camino the 'traditional' way, staying at Albergues. The maps show lots of Albergues, and not a lot of Hotels, Casa Rural etc. Particularly in the more remote areas.

So either, there are many more accommodation options that are just not shown in the Guide. Or, the Guide is accurate, and we should expect that for maybe 8-10 nights there will no other option that to use Albergues?

For those who have experienced the non Albergue options, what was your experience?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello,
2 years ago, I did the last part León - Santiago without albergues with two execptions: Castrillo de Polvazares (not on the camino, small detour, I was the only one in the albergue and there was anyway a hotel) and Fonfría (but the albergue had private rooms). I also used the Brierley Guide and was happy with the info provided of hotels/hostals/casa rurales. It's correct, in remote areas, there are in general no HHC.
If you don't care to walk 25-30km and in a few cases a little bit more, it must be possible to do the camino Frances by sleeping in HHC. You only need to look forward where you will stay. And perhaps call in advance to check (I never did in sept-oct 2011).
A few months before you start walking, check the whole camino in Google Maps. You will certainly find new Casa Rurales on the camino or close for example 2km off road.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello,
2 years ago, I did the last part León - Santiago without albergues with two execptions: Castrillo de Polvazares (not on the camino, small detour, I was the only one in the albergue and there was anyway a hotel) and Fonfría (but the albergue had private rooms). I also used the Brierley Guide and was happy with the info provided of hotels/hostals/casa rurales. It's correct, in remote areas, there are in general no HHC.
If you don't care to walk 25-30km and in a few cases a little bit more, it must be possible to do the camino Frances by sleeping in HHC. You only need to look forward where you will stay. And perhaps call in advance to check (I never did in sept-oct 2011).
A few months before you start walking, check the whole camino in Google Maps. You will certainly find new Casa Rurales on the camino or close for example 2km off road.

Thanks for the Info. Whilst I am sure we could manage 25-30 km now and again, we'd rather take our time and 'smell the roses' :) And to be honest my wife Pat might that a struggle !

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Many thanks. I'll grab a copy. ahhh. Only 1 problem. I don't read French :-(
The accommodation information is very self-explanatory even without skills in French.

Donnees.gif

For more examples on the Le Puy route (Spain is the same format):

http://www.chemindecompostelle.com/Selection/CarteFrance.html

For an overview:

http://www.elcaminosantiago.com/Camino-Santiago-Map-Camino-Frances-Google.htm

Buen camino.

I walked Roncevalles to Logrono for 11 days in October and found that private rooms in albergues were my favorite stops. I also stayed in small hotels but felt more isolated from other peregrinos. I limited my pack to about 9 pounds plus water with Jacotrans carrying about 6-7 lbs. for me. I aimed for 15 km. per day although the distance varied from 19 to 9 km.

I found the physical aspect of the walk hard but manageable and I had the energy, psychic resources to enjoy the other aspects of my Camino. I was pleasantly surprised by how well my pre-conditioning couch potato elderly bones served me.

Go for it!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We used mundicamino and cross referenced with trip advisor. We chose not to stay in albergues and were extremely happy with that choice. You will notice at the start of the trip, people will feel they have to make excuses for things like having a cell phone, staying in a hotel or private room, etc. It was really funny to see, as I have never found that need to justify my decisions. As time went on, a lot of people went from "I will always stay in albergues" to "we will try a private room every week or 10 days" to "every 3 days" to "to heck with this.....we just want our privacy and our own bathroom!!!".
It was quite hilarious and were glad we recognized this right away. There are wonderful private places along the entire way and easy to book. We only had one problem in Belorado where they gave someone our room on a rainy day at 230 in the afternoon even though we had a confirmed reservation. Annoying but life goes on.

OK, onto my question. The Brierley Guide seems to focus mainly on doing the Camino the 'traditional' way, staying at Albergues. The maps show lots of Albergues, and not a lot of Hotels, Casa Rural etc. Particularly in the more remote areas.
So either, there are many more accommodation options that are just not shown in the Guide. Or, the Guide is accurate, and we should expect that for maybe 8-10 nights there will no other option that to use Albergues?
For those who have experienced the non Albergue options, what was your experience?
Hi Robo. Yes there are plenty alternatives to albergues. Even in remote stretches on the way.
Have a look at my accomodation guide for the Camino Francés.
It is written in German, but you will be able to gather your information of it. Just try it!
Buen Camino
Jochen

This year I walked from Le Puy to Pamplona and Tours to Santiago - about 90 days in all. There were fewer than 10 days where there was no choice except sharing a room with strangers. Many albergues and gites have private rooms, and there are chambre d'hotes, pensiones, hostels, bars/restaurants offering "habitaciones", and hotels as well.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I actually booked a lot of hostels using Google Maps. I basically" Zoom in" the Camino trail trace map (on Google Maps) and "search" the view for "Hosteles". The view will mark hostels and I could see how far/close they were to the actual Camino trail. I supplemented this info with available databases, local websites for Office of Tourism, etc... I am geared to the small "Momma & Poppa"; the more basic and local the hostel, the bettter. Part of my intent is to help fuel the local economy and hence, help improve somebody's situation. No Marriott, or large chains for me. That is where I draw the line. ;) When I was 20-25 years old I would have partaken from Albergues. At twice the age and after the injury, sorry, I will not take that bed away if I don't have to....

I have been looking at private accomodation too (the hermit in me). My method has been to type 'habitaciones' and the place names into a search engine and see what comes up. It produces some interesting results. Some names need the Spanish province adding or you finish up in other countries!

I have noticed that in the last few weeks a number of small private hotels are listed on some of the internet booking sites, even places that are just a bed without breakfast. Maybe a 'sign of the times', but helpful to a searching pilgrim. The big chains are there too if that is what you want but I like the small places best.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Robo. Yes there are plenty alternatives to albergues. Even in remote stretches on the way.
Have a look at my accomodation guide for the Camino Francés.
It is written in German, but you will be able to gather your information of it. Just try it!
Buen Camino
Jochen

Thanks Jochen. How's Paderborn these days? Used to live there a long time ago in a previous life :)

My walking partner wouldn't stay in albergues. She wanted a private room with her own bathroom every night.
She used the Brierley guide. Every evening she would ask the manager of the casa rural or hostal where she was staying to phone thru and make a booking for the following night after discussing quality and price and getting his recommendation.
Seemed to work fine.
Regds
Gerard

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks Falcon, I'll grab a copy!
That is not an easy task outside of France. There is the CSJ site with a cost of 15 pounds. I use amazon.fr, but I think the free shipping offer does not include international postage:

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/2916446397/

You may want to get the latest edition just before you leave. The 2013 may be it; I don't think they update every year.

Most read last week in this forum

I've just read this article from La Voz de Galicia. A Camino guide and frequent pilgrim with over 30 years of Camino experience calling for some greater regulation of numbers - at least on the...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Hello, two weeks ago, I finished the Camino Francés, and while all the recent memories have not properly settled yet, I think enough time has passed to write a bit about my experience of the...
Can anyone give me (newbie!) some guidance on planning my stages after Roncesvalles? I currently have lodging booked Zubiri, Pamplona and then Puente la Reine, and on from there. I would prefer...
Big stupid question: what if, in the middle of a stage, I realize I can't really walk anymore? For whatever reason, fatigue, pain, etc. How others have treated this? Are there buses usually...
Hi everyone: I'm hoping to hike the Camino Frances in July/Aug. I would love to, ahead of time, order and ship ahead a pair of my favorite hiking shoes (Hokas) so that, roughly halfway through...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back