• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Not happy Jan!

TravellingSonn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008, Le Puy route (TBC)
Hi all,

I'm 3 months out from my walk and I'm at my wits end!

In December, I purchased customised orthotics. I've been wearing them everyday (runners) and happy to report I haven't had a blister!

Alas, once I transfer them to my Vasque hiking boots, different story morning glory. I've tried Bridgedale sock liner, bridgedale trekker sock and taping to no avail. I've tried wearing only one pair of socks (Bridgedale trekker) yet again, no luck.

The area which causes the most pain are my little toes. I went for a 4 hour hike yesterday and the poor little buggers were severally crushed. :cry:

Oh, what to do?! Any ideas?

Thanks again,
Sonn
:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Both custom orthotics and commercial replacement insoles (such as Superfeet) must be custom fit to the shoes in which they are inserted.

First, remove the original insoles from the shoe. The custom orthotics or insoles are replacements for the originals. Second, set the original sole-to-sole with the replacement. Square up the heel. Trace the toebox from the original to the replacement with a marker. Then cut to trim the replacement to the mark.

Carefully insert the replacement insole into the shoe. Check carefully with your finger that everything is lying flat and smooth.

I think, the only way you would be having a problem with the width of the toebox is if the insole is not properly fit to the shoe, as long as you were not having problems of this sort before.

Hi Kit,

Thanks for your input. Hopefully this will solve the issue. Prior to the new orthotics, my boots never gave me a blister.

I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks again
Sonn

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
TravellingSonn said:
Hopefully this will solve the issue. Prior to the new orthotics, my boots never gave me a blister.
Hi Sonn,

It sounds like your orthotics are taking up too much room in your boots so you now need a larger size.

I put orthotics in my well worn-in boots and ended up with a blister on my little toe. Took out the orthotics, no more problem.

If your orthotics were customised, were they prescribed by a podiatrist? If so, perhaps it would be an idea to go back with your boots and ask for advice.

If not, perhaps you don't actually need the orthotics. If you feel that you do, why not go to a podiatrist for advice.

I am completely impartial here - I am not a podiatrist, neither do I know one.

Hola Sonn,
This is a subject close to my heart or should I say to my feet. I discovered I had fallen arches and got customised orthotics which just didn’t work for me. I went for a few hikes and found my feet were burning by the time I would finish, so uncomfortable, so disappointing. In hindsight they were very ridged, hard and no arch support.
A friend had a very positive experience with the same problem so I got customised orthotics from their source. Brought my walking boots, walking shoes and regular shoes the day of the fitting and fingers crossed so far so good. I had two minor adjustments which is all part of the service and would be encouraged to call back at any time if I have any other issues. My new customised orthotics are more cushioned and have very good arch support, very comfortable
I too was at my wits end last October as mentally I was all geared up for our Camino in March but my feet were saying “not so sure if we can make it”.
I walk every day now and feel very comfortable in my walking boots, my feet are now saying to me “Is féidir linn”,”yes we can”. I’m really looking forward with confidence to our Camino.
My advice is to go back to you supplier with the orthotics, your boots and any other footwear you use and explain to them how your feet are feeling. Don’t take no for an answer, your orthotics just HAVE to work for you. Hope you get sorted and have a great trip.
Buen Camino.
Slán go foil.
Des. :lol:

A couple of suggestions--which of course may or not work for you because everyone feet are different! I gave up my boots after our first Camino hike. I had tons of blisters from them in 2001 even though I had worn boots for years on lengthy backpacking trips in the west. Since about 2004, we have worn trail runners on more than 1,000 miles of Camino trails, 1,500 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail, and other backpacking adventures. I now seldom get blisters.
I wear custom made orthotics--both the shorter kind that can be slipped in and out of "regular" shoes and the full-length ones that go in my trail runners. No one ever told me I couldn't move them from shoe to shoe and I do so regularly. When I need even more padding, I put a cheap foam Dr. School's insert under the orthotic.
I often tape my toes or the ball of my foot with a breathable tape before we hike. I also often wear Injinji toes socks under a pair of liner socks. That combination gives me the two layers of socks and further protection for my toes. This has made all the difference as far as preventing socks.
So, I too suggest you check back with your podiatrist; that you consider wearing trail runners for the Camino; that you make sure that your shoes (of whatever kind) have ample room in the toebox ( wear a man's trail runner for just this reason); and that you continue to modify your socks as needed.

Good luck. I have been through the pain of plantar fasciitis and know that it is no fun! The good news is that you have time to heal from all this.
Buen Camino,
backpack45

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Jan -

I completed the Camino in October. Started out with Vasque boots and after two weeks of foot problems, I switched to my Keene sandals. If I return, I will purchase Keenes hiking boots. Keenes have a wider front so toes have more area. The downside of Keenes is they don't last as long, but after hiking 500 miles, many boots are throw-aways. Keenes saved my feet.

Hi, sonn,
My guess is that the custom orthotic is bigger than the very thin insole that most hiking boots come with. That makes it very likely that your boots are now too small with the custom orthotic in them. I go up at least a size just to accommodate my orthotic.

BTW, and I know this is a little off-topic -- what are your orthotics made of? I wore hard plastic orthotics for years on the Camino, and the pounding of my foot on that hard plastic caused me no end of foot problems. Even though I had been wearing orthotics for years, I had never walked for such a long distance day after day after day and the plastic really took its toll. I have since switched to a silicone orthotic and it's heavenly. Just a heads up to be careful if you have a hard plastic orthotic.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi all,

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your advice and experiences. I contacted my podiatrist who is happy to alter my orthotics, yeah! I hope it means I won't need to purchase a new set of boots.

Backpack 45 - I've heard several people mention how good Injinji toes socks are. So I purchased a pair of inner socks. I'll let you know how I go.

Laurie, originally I had the hard orthotics which were no good and very uncomfortable. My new ones are much softer and very supportive.

Thanks again everyone!

Ciao for now
Sonia

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, Sonn,
It sounds like you may have solved your problem, but since you mentioned blisters, I have to share my experience. In the two full caminos that I walked in the past two years, I only had 4 tiny blisters--one on the outside of a big toe and three others on the outside of a baby toe. Halfway through my second Camino, I finally realized that they had all been caused by the little nub at the ends of the seam that runs across the top of the toe on one of the two pairs of liner socks I wore. I got rid of that pair immediately and only used the liner socks that were completely smooth at both ends of the 'toe seam' and had no more blister problems. It's worth checking your socks!
Have a great trip! Mary Lynn

Thanks again to everyone who replied. :)

After all that, I'm seriously considering reverting back to my Merrell moabs mid boot. They're a size bigger, cause me no troubles and they feel as though I'm walking on clouds.

Question is, will they see me all the way to SJPP? The reviews on this forum indicate people either love them or dislike them (not sturdy enough).

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Most read last week in this forum

I'm starting the Le Puy in early July hopefully. In my efforts to communicate with the gite owners, I am using email as my French is almost non existent. I'm getting lots of replies outlining...
Sorry I have been too tired to post anything. Here is a very brief summary and a few pics. Le Puy to Figeac - 250 km approx - 14 days - average 17.8 km per day (top speed for me 😂) Beautiful...
I am trying to find a Mobile App that can help me find trails from Le puy Valley to Cahors. Would appreciate good advice and guidance.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back