• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 11.0

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino Finisterre
Corcubión

December 8, 2011

Corcubión 2011.jpg

After descending to Cée and crossing to Corcubión, then turning west, following a creek and some very muddy lanes I finally arrived at the pleasant hilltop albergue San Roque de Corcubión. In a repurposed school this was a very friendly place run by local volunteers.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Camino Finisterre
Praia de Estorde

photo taken April 2, 2006

Praia de Escorde .jpg

Estorde is the first beach on the camino path linking Corcubión/San Roque to Finisterre; along the sea the path parallels the AC-445 route. Cape Finisterre is on the far left in the view. Crossing the beach barefoot while holding my boots like a child I delighted in the tickle of sand between my toes.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sunset above Porto before the start of my last Camino.

PS! A tip, just after you get over the Luis I bridge (if you cross it on the bottom "floor") you can use an elevator inside the parking garage to the top of the hill to Jardim do Morro park, where a lot of people gather to watch the sunset. Got the tip about the garage from a local :p

IMG_1283.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Today, Jeuves Santo, I have been rememberiing the 12th c. Iglesia del Santo Sepulcro in Estella. Years past each time I was in Estella the complex was closed to visitors and I never was able to see the interior.

However 48 photographic files on the monument are held by Wikipedia Commons ; thus now I have been able to see this splendid interior photo.

The photo is described by Wikipedia as

"El tímpano de la portada se divide en tres niveles. En el inferior se representa "La Última Cena", en la superior "La crucifixión", mientras que el central presenta tres escenas: a la izquierda "Las tres Marías junto al sepulcro", en la central "El rescate de los inocentes" y a la derecha el "Noli me tangere" "

Such an image seems most appropriate for viewing today on Jueves Santo/Holy Thursday.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino Finisterre
towards Cape Finisterre

photo taken December 9, 2011

2011 the sea.jpg

On my 7th camino when walking the final kilometers along the sea towards Cape Finisterre each step taken, each hill climbed was special for being close to the last.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Camino Finisterre
Cape Finisterre

photo taken December 9, 2011

Cape Finisterre, Iron Cross.jpg

Finally reaching the old iron cross at land's end my 7th CF ended after 1000 kilometers and nine weeks walking always wearing a full pack; silently I gave my heartfelt thanks for all that had been and for all those that had helped to make it so.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Leaving for Paris
photo taken October 14, 2013, am

Leaving 14.10.2013-.jpg

My 9th CF began at our local gare/rr station; at 74 I was very thankful to be going once again, and, as always, curious as how it all might unfold.

May 4, 2022
Entering Santiago from the VdlP/Invierno. Some say it is the nicest entry into the city, and I would agree that it is beautiful, but definitely not the easiest entry. After descending to the Rio Sar there is a long steep climb back up to the cathedral which wore me out!

502F2EEA-9464-41CC-B1D1-A92494F24AE9.jpeg

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Night train/ Paris to Bayonne
photo taken October 14, 2013, pm

Night train 14.11.2014.jpg

To begin past CFs I often rode the train de nuit/ night train in a couchette/berth from Paris/ gare Austerlitz to Bayonne. It felt magical to fall asleep in Paris at 11 pm, hear/feel the carriages move through the night and awaken in Bayonne at 7 am.

Night train/ Paris to Bayonne
photo taken October 14, 2013, pm

View attachment 167173

To begin past CFs I often rode the train de nuit/ night train in a couchette/berth from Paris/ gare Austerlitz to Bayonne. It felt magical to fall asleep in Paris at 11 pm, hear/feel the carriages move through the night and awaken in Bayonne at 7 am.
Is this the one with the beds stacked 3 on one side. I remember going in to the carrige and thinking "PLEEEEASE" not be mine about the one at the top...

Is this the one with the beds stacked 3 on one side. I remember going in to the carrige and thinking "PLEEEEASE" not be mine about the one at the top...

This was 2 on a side in a car reserved for women. Since I was older and bought it 3 months ahead the senior ticket was 50€! Best of all no one else was in there than me !!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bidarray, France
seen from TER local train

photo taken October 15, 2014

Bidarray, on route to SJPdP.jpg
I enjoyed seeing the rolling landscape while riding the local TER train from Bayonne to the Basque town of Saint Jean Pied de Port, named such because it is at the pied /foot of a port /pass crossing the Pyrenées.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Camino Frances
Saint Jean Pied de Port
39 rue de La Citadelle
Pilgrim Office sign

photo taken October 3, 2005

Saint Jean Pied de Port , 2005.jpg

Whatever the season les Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques multi-lingual volunteers staffing the Pilgrim Office were always welcoming and helpful.

Camino Frances
Saint Jean Pied de Port
55 rue de La Citadelle
municipal albergue

photos taken January 16, 2008

55 rue de La Citadelle, sign.jpgSaint Jean Pied de Port, 2008.jpg

Reading this sign began my 4th CF and 2nd in winter. Pondering the route and days to come I was very content to be back once more in this special place where serendipity prevailed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Frances
Saint Jean Pied de Port
Porte de Saint Jacques

photo taken October 14, 2015

Porte de Saint Jacques.jpg

This view was taken as a new day was dawning in the eastern sky beyond the medieval Porte; soon a new camino would begin as I turned away from the Porte to walk west.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Camino Frances - August 8, 2019
Inside the church 0 Cebreiro, a table
In Memoriam.
😎👣🌻
View attachment 167579
Rest in Peace fellow peregrina @annakappa (yesterdays forum news) 😢
I take this opportunity to express my sympathy to the family.
Thank you, @FourSeasons, your post is so respectful.
Thanks to Sabine for alerting us to the fact of Anna's death. Never the right moment!
We value life so much!
I have given Sabine permission to alert you all when I pop my clogs!
I will not have much time to scroll back because I was missing in action for a week, though I love to recognise each post in this thread.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Six years ago today. The pasarela next to the trainrails , just after Monasterio do Couto in Naron. Etapa between Ferrol and Pontedeume. Shaving off five k. making that etapa doable for me to walk in one day.
Four years earlier I stopped in Neda and this time I decided I did not want to stay there.

pasarela.jpg

And today, thirteen years ago, I flew to Spain to start my first Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Valcarlos alternate route
Arnéguy

photo taken October 15, 2014

Arnéguy.jpg

At the Arnéguy Venta shopping complex on the Spanish/French border this older stelle framed a newer sign pointing to the alternate camino for Valcarlos, Ibaneta, and Roncesvalles

Last edited:

€83,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Camino Frances
near Roncesvalles/Valcarlos

19th c. print copied from the
Roncesvalles monastery web

Charlemagne finding Roland print.jpg

This print depicts Charlemagne mounted finding Rodan/Roland dead August 778 near Roncesvalles on what will be later known as the Valcarlos route. Eventually the village Valcarlos/Luzaide would also be named in honor of Carlos ie. Charlemagne.

Parish church
Calle Elizaldea, 7
church altar

photo taken October 16, 2012

Valcarlors, altar.jpg

On my 8th camino I was finally able to visit the church and see this altarpiece which dates from 1908 .

Valcarlos/Luzaide
view south to France

photo taken October 16, 2012

from Valcarlos,towards France 16.10.2012.jpg

This landscape was shot from Valcarlos/Luzaide, Spain, towards the facing slope in Ondarolle, France. Hidden within the foreground trees is the rio Luzaide/ la rive Arnéguy, which since the 17th c. Treaty of the Pyrenées serves here as the border between Spain and France.

Valcarlos alternate
Ibaneta pass

photo taken February 7, 2007

Ibaneta pass 2007.jpg

On the Valcarlos alternate during late autumn/winter in rain/sleet/snow I always walked the route N135 verges facing traffic since the camino path through the wood became too slick to follow.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Santiago de Compostela
Cathedral Archivo-Biblioteca

ms Codex Calixtinus, Charlemagne.jpg

This illustration depicting Charlemagne and Roland fighting Moors is from Historia Caroli Magni et Rotholandi/History of Charlemagne and Roland, Book IV of the Codex Calixtinus

Twelve examples of the Codex, a 12th c. medieval manuscript, exist but it is
assumed that the Codex in the Santiago de Compostela cathedral library is the original.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
18th April, 2024. Day 6, Quatre Chemins to Aubrac, Via Podiensis. Very cold days walking. We woke up to quite a lot of snow on the ground this morning. It was only 3o on the Pharmacy temperature sign at 13.00hrs In Nasbinals!
Snow and sleet, sometimes heavy with a strong wind most of the day.
This photo was taken at 16.20hrs just before reaching Aubrac.
IMG_5929.jpeg

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Roncesvalles, battle 1813.jpg

the source of this map is the
Napoleon series

The present Napoleon route OVER the Pyrenees mountains to Roncesvalles dates from the French battles of 1813; when it was actually named the Napoleon route I do not know.

Although Napoleon Bonaparte never was on this route French troops fought at the
Battle of Roncesvalles 25 July, 1813, against the British led by General Wellington in one of the many campaigns of the 1808/1814 Peninsular war also known as
La Francesada.

For detailed information re the Battle of Roncesvalles see Martin Gibson's encyclopedic blog War and Security

Estaing to Espeyrac, 21st, April, 2024, Day 9, Via Podiensis. First half of today’s walk to Campuac on the GR 6 option was constantly up and up with only the occasional descent, the second part was quite peaceful and gentler. We saw no other pilgrims today until we were nearly at Espeyrac, the rest must have gone by Golinhac.
Looking back and down on Estaing.
IMG_6078.jpeg

Espeyrac to Conques. A shorter day for our Day 10 of walking the Via Podiensis, 22nd, April, 2024, but it still had a challenging ascent early and descent into Conques.
Conques is a beautiful village and luckily at this time of year doesn’t have too many tourists, probably more pilgrims than tourists around and not too busy.
We stayed at the Abbaye, which is comfortable and had a very good dinner last evening. We also went to the Abbaye Church for Compline, Pilgrims blessing, description of the Tympanum and a concert all after 20.30hrs. Not in bed until after 22.30hrs!
Luckily we’re having a rest day today 23rd April in Conques, so we can get to bed earlier tonight in preparation of tomorrow’s walk.
Sorry, two photos of the Abbaye de Sainte-Foy.
IMG_6134.jpegIMG_6143.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back