Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Osprey Rucksack Belt Pocket Zips

KeyserSoza

Sep 23, 2012
Like a huge number of pilgrims I have an Osprey rucksack (EXOS 38), which is one of the best packs I’ve had over 40 years hiking. However, is it me, or a design fault that re-zipping the belt pockets closed while wearing the pack almost always presents a challenge, vs how easy it is to open. Can anyone enlighten me on the technique required?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

C clearly

Staff member
Jan 28, 2007
BC, Canada
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
The belt pockets on my 10-year-old Osprey Talon are a bit frustrating - small and requiring 2 hands to close them. I am not sure any design could easily avoid this without enlarging the pockets and the hip belt. The more recent versions look like they have larger pockets but I'm haven't tried them.

A designer might decide to remove the pockets to avoid this annoying situation but I'm glad they didn't. It is the challenge to designers - form versus one function, versus another function!

Reactions: Skybo and VNwalking

Telelama

Aug 29, 2014
Colorado
Frances (Sep - Oct'14)
Frances (May - Jun'15)
Portugues (May - Jun'16)
Primitivo (2020)
Keyser, I feel your pain! I love the idea of the hip belt pockets, but in actual use, not so much. My wife has the dexterity to use both hands to open or close (one to hold the pocket, the other to manipulate the zipper).

Me? I simply leave them open or mostly open so I can access as needed, but of course that means I have to be cautious of losing something. C'est la vie I guess...

Reactions: Skybo
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Pilgrim9

Nov 27, 2017
SJPdP-SdC (2017)
SdC-Muxia-Fisterra-SdC (2017)
Lisboa-SdC (2018)
Ferrol-SdC (2018)
If it is friction that is causing the problem, one might consider spraying the slide fasteners with an aerosol product called Jig-A-Loo [TM]. It is a silicone-like lubricant that IME makes slide fasteners work smoothly without jamming. It also has water-repellant properties.

After a post-pilgrimage hand-washing of my pack and a thorough hang-drying, I spray my entire pack all over with this substance, outdoors of course. The slipperiness of the sprayed surfaces helps keep my pack clean, and rain droplets tend to bead up and fall away. Been doing it for years with no harmful effects. Won't eliminate the need for a pack cover in heavy rain, though.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

jflorez

Joe Florez
Mar 19, 2018
Aptos, Ca.
Camino Frances: May/Jun (2018), Sept/Oct (2021)
Good tips to try to enhance the usability. I pretty much gave up on placing anything I would need to use throughout the day in them. But, I'll try a lubricant to see if that solves what was a key feature I'd hoped to use with my pack.

Reactions: t2andreo
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I typically wash my clothes by hand with a bar of Lagarto soap. It’s non-chemical and is the soap I was introduced to back in Spain in the 70s. When you wash clothes by hand, you typically rub...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
Hi, I'm off to CDN tomorrow but this is in my mind. I got the baggage transfer from from Correos and I will going to walk from Irun to Llanes this time, so my plan is to carry a 22lts day pack and...
I’ll begin my Camino in July (Portuguese route), so it’s time to get shoes and break them in. I have seen posts about walking shoes and which ones people prefer, and I’ve read various articles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.