• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Overcrowded Camino Frances

dfortuna58

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep another night (Friday). Saturday morning she skipped Roncesvalles and bused to straight to Pamplona because she couldn't find anything even close to Zubiri with a bed. Seems all accommodations are either filling up with early bed runners or bus tour groups. Booking.com shows nothing available. We thought after Pamplona the Camino would open up but that is not the case. She is getting ready to rent a car and just drive! Or bus from one large city to the next until she arrives in Santiago to see the cathedral of our dreams. Is this the new normal for the Camino? Too many pilgrims not enough beds? Any advice?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep another night (Friday). Saturday morning she skipped Roncesvalles and bused to straight to Pamplona because she couldn't find anything even close to Zubiri with a bed. Seems all accommodations are either filling up with early bed runners or bus tour groups. Booking.com shows nothing available. We thought after Pamplona the Camino would open up but that is not the case. She is getting ready to rent a car and just drive! Or bus from one large city to the next until she arrives in Santiago to see the cathedral of our dreams. Is this the new normal for the Camino? Too many pilgrims not enough beds? Any advice?
Sounds like from reports there is a big wave of pilgrims moving through right at this particular time. She could try to transit to another less traveled Camino if she is discouraged. From Pamplona she could go by bus to Jaca and walk on the Aragones and it would rejoin the CF after a week or so or she could go north to San Sebastian to walk the Norte.

Please tell your friend that Booking.com has only a limited number of beds. She might try calling directly or maybe hang back a few days or bus ahead to maybe Logroño to get ahead or inbetween this wave. Not all beds can be reserved so she could try some places that don't accept reservations. You can see those on Gronze.com. it will translate to English if you use a Chrome browser.

It does sound like there was some kind of atheletic running event on the Camino around Zubiri this weekend and there are several large groups moving through. It would be very frustrating, especially for a first time pilgrim trying to navigate.

Any advice?
Don't be between SJPP and Pamplona during the week before and after the 1st of May.

Booking.com availability is an indicator of how busy a town or region is but when Booking.com does not have available and bookable beds this does not mean that there are no beds available in the town or region.

Make use of the listing of accommodations on Gronze.com or Camino apps. Contact an accommodation directly by WhatsApp or by phone.

Make use of albergues exclusively for pilgrims which can often not be booked - see lists such as Gronze.com or Camino apps or the handout from the pilgrim welcome office in SJJP.

Elsewhere on the forum people are singing the praise of these pilgrims-only albergues along the Camino Francés and report many times that they are empty or only half-full.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As a side note, she did not plan on walking to the entire way the first day, but busing back to SJPDP at the statue of Mary and returning the next day.. The next day plan was to walk from the statue to Roncesvalles where she prebooked.

As a side note, she did not plan on walking to the entire way the first day, but busing back to SJPDP at the statue of Mary and returning the next day.. The next day plan was to walk from the statue to Roncesvalles where she prebooked.
Ok I'm confused
If she pre-booked at Roncesvalles how is it there were no bed when she got there?

I have to admit that when I started, I fell the victim of the "no beds available" panic immediately. As stated all because lots of folks were freaking out and Booking.com had nothing available.
Didn't take long to catch on to contacting albergues directly via WhatsApp and not fir one moment I was not able to secure a bed even when B.com stated none were available

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ok I'm confused
If she pre-booked at Roncesvalles how is it there were no bed when she got there?

I have to admit that when I started, I fell the victim of the "no beds available" panic immediately. As stated all because lots of folks were freaking out and Booking.com had nothing available.
Didn't take long to catch on to contacting albergues directly via WhatsApp and not fir one moment I was not able to secure a bed even when B.com stated none were available
I understand your confusion. She wasn't planning on walking the entire way the first day. She was planning on walking just to the statue but weather conditions/winds convinced her to take the winder route instead. She ended up walking the entire distance ending up too early.

Ok I'm confused

Re-reading the OP first post, her friend had booked her originally planned night 2 in Roncesvalles, but ended up walking the entire way there on day 1. Only to find no room at the inn.

So to speak.

She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep another night (Friday). Saturday morning she skipped Roncesvalles and bused to straight to Pamplona because she couldn't find anything even close to Zubiri with a bed.

she did not plan on walking to the entire way the first day, but busing back to SJPDP at the statue of Mary and returning the next day.. The next day plan was to walk from the statue to Roncesvalles where she prebooked.

It had me a bit confused, too. So she had planned to walk SJPP to Roncesvalles in two days and had booked Roncesvalles for the second day. But then she changed her plan and walked SJPP to Roncesvalles already in one go on the first day and found that there was no bed in Roncesvalles because she had not booked for that night. Right?

This weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) is a super busy weekend in Roncesvalles. It was clear since at least two weeks ago that this would happen and that there would be more pilgrims in Roncesvalles wanting a bed than beds available.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I understand your confusion. She wasn't planning on walking the entire way the first day. She was planning on walking just to the statue but weather conditions/winds convinced her to take the winder route instead. She ended up walking the entire distance ending up too early.
So she and others took the bus back to the Saint Jean where she was able to find a bed. I guess she could have bused back to Roncesvalles and used her booked date, instead she looked forwarded. But looking forward, no beds available between Roncesvalles and Pamplona, so she ended up skipping ahead and landed in Pamplona. Even then, finding bed in Pamplona was difficult. She was able to book a hotel and is staying there tonight as well, hoping clarity will prevail in the morning.

It had me a bit confused, too. So she had planned to walk SJPP to Roncesvalles in two days and had booked Roncesvalles for the second day. But then she changed her plan and walked SJPP to Roncesvalles already in one go on the first day and found that there was no bed in Roncesvalles because she had not booked for that night. Right?

This weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) is a super busy weekend in Roncesvalles. It was clear since at least two weeks ago that this would happen and that there would be more pilgrims in Roncesvalles wanting a bed than beds available.
Exactly Kathar1na. We were not aware of the busy weekend! Lesson learned. We are both new to this form despite dreaming of the Camino for years! I think we foolishly thought the Camino would provide...but need to lower our expectations or widen our thoughts!

Camino DID provide. Hotel is nothing more but a luxury private room in a "different albergue " 😉
Something to keep in mind moving forward
There are albergues, pensions, B&Bs, hotels and other options on The Way. Granted the budget may have to be reconfigured, but perhaps it's part of it all. Don't be discouraged
Good luck and Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Exactly Kathar1na. We were not aware of the busy weekend! Lesson learned. We are both new to this form despite dreaming of the Camino for years! I think we foolishly thought the Camino would provide...but need to lower our expectations or widen our thoughts!

I mean...typically when one is resourceful, the options widen. If booking.com is the sole source of reserving beds, you're not going to get the full picture of what's available, busy weekend or not. I rarely use Booking.com, as they take a cut from local businesses. Email albergues, call them, WhatsApp them, find someone who speaks spanish to call, stay at municipals...there are many ways to find beds. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Large running event outside of Pamplona, holiday week throughout Spain, and albergues not open or limited to pilgrims just yet - the perfect storm for bed shortages. I agree that she should switch the Aragon Way. A bus leaves from Pamplona daily to Jaca, then a bus from Jaca takes you up to the start of the Aragonés. I guarantee it’s fairly empty (as usual) and no reservations will be required anywhere along the route. She’d rejoin the Frances at Puente le Reina and avoid the current crush.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Don't rely solely on Booking.com.

It will give you a sense that accommodation is not available, it is.

For example, did your friend walk to Zabaldika and ask for a bed?

I suspect that your friend didn't do this and as a result your friend will have the Camino that they are having.

We were told the other day that there are 1000 pilgrims in total among the various Caminos starting out each day. How disappointing to see the Frances loved to death. I highly recommend the Norte. The length is about the same as the Frances, and not so crowded. As your friend is already in the east of Spain, she could make her way to San Sebastián or Irun and enjoy a much more pleasant Camino.

It’s busy due the May Day the 1st is a huge EU celebration for families. It should calm down afterwards.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We walked from Roncesvalles (having finished there last year from the Le Puy route) on the 10th of April and were lucky to get a bed. Many who came after us were not so lucky. After that I made a booking each night for the following day and was glad I did. Many people had to keep going to find a bed further along the way. I knew that the Frances was a busy route, but I never saw it like this before. Many people had booked the whole way ahead. I walked this camino in 2009 and again in 2014. I never needed to book in advance, somehow it was a kinder camino with more general togetherness as there were far less people. Some albergues that before could not be booked ahead, now accepted large group bookings from people who had their luggage sent ahead. For those who arrived later with their backpacks, often no place was left.
I would advise however, to stay in in-between places. Chances of availability is much greater and in many instances more intimate.

Buen camino to all

I knew that the Frances was a busy route, but I never saw it like this before. Many people had booked the whole way ahead. I walked this camino in 2009 and again in 2014. I never needed to book in advance, somehow it was a kinder camino with more general togetherness as there were far less people. Some albergues that before could not be booked ahead, now accepted large group bookings from people who had their luggage sent ahead. For those who arrived later with their backpacks, often no place was left.

Primarily why last year (2023) was my final year walking the Frances. The "cruise ship" atmosphere seemed to be prevalent, with suitcases spilling out of lobbies and demands for certain comforts...it sort of blew me away.

I would advise however, to stay in in-between places. Chances of availability is much greater and in many instances more intimate.

agree. Stopovers between guidebook "stages" are hidden gems.

Last edited:
I mean... I get it... a good solid advice is a "Good Solid Advice" - no ifs ands or buts. However I am beginning to get this very nagging feeling that in a couple of years the "in between stages" ( as in stay in places that are...) and del Norte (as in why are you walking CF? Try CN instead - much less crowded) will fall victims of this 'advertizing' (if you will).
Such is the Beast of the Human nature....

I mean... I get it... a good solid advice is a "Good Solid Advice" - no ifs ands or buts. However I am beginning to get this very nagging feeling that in a couple of years the "in between stages" ( as in stay in places that are...) and del Norte (as in why are you walking CF? Try CN instead - much less crowded) will fall victims of this 'advertizing' (if you will).
Such is the Beast of the Human nature....
I doubt it really. There are too many books and movies about the CF with what most newer (and some older pilgrims) think are the prescribed towns to stay in. Even Gronze.com and many guidebooks list things in "stages" and although the in-between town information is given, the impression is that you should walk from beginning to end of each stage. There's always some caveat given about walk your own pace and distance, but new pilgrims many not really even understand what that means, especially early in their journey.

Also I think this recent squeeze is due to many events all happening at a popular time for pilgrims beginning their journey. Spring is a great season generally to be on the Camino. It is beautiful and green and not too hot (usually). It is a popular time, but new pilgrims especially don't have a good understanding of what that can mean for bed space. They may not have even considered holidays or that Spanish organizations may also think Spring is a good time for a group trip or bike event or marathon, etc. They also don't know what ways to be flexible when space is tight. It causes great worry for some people, especially when you think in advance "I've got this all planned out." I can hear the anxiety in the body of these posts.

For me jumping to another route would be a natural consideration, or maybe I'd just go somewhere a few days (like San Sebastian, Zaragoza, Jaca with good connections to Pamplona by train or bus) and chill out until the wave passes, but that isn't everyone's first inclination. They have a Camino to walk from start to finish and have not really planned for or considered anything else.

Last edited:
The "cruise ship" atmosphere seemed to be prevalent, with suitcases spilling out of lobbies and demands for certain comforts sort of blew me away.
This is a big shift I noticed too this year in stage ending towns on the other end of the Francés since I was last there in 2015. Oddly the walking was not so crowded so I wondered where all the owners of thse suitcases were.

It wasn't like this before.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oddly the walking was not so crowded so I wondered where all the owners of thse suitcases were.
There has been a large uptick in questions on the forum about backpack/luggage transfer and how to get a taxi, but the way that I walk the Camino hasn't been affected.

This is a big shift I noticed too this year in stage ending towns on the other end of the Francés since I was last there in 2015. Oddly the walking was not so crowded so I wondered where all the owners of thse suitcases were.

I noticed a lot more suitcases last summer in the last days, too. More people are taking advantage of the luggage transport for certain on the CF and as @trecile indicates, a lot more questions about that and about reservations and tours and about trains and buses. Maybe more people are just finding us here for these questions? Not sure.

They also don't know what ways to be flexible when space is tight. It causes great worry for some people, especially when you think in advance "I've got this all planned out." I can hear the anxiety in the body of these posts.

Me too. I've actually been on this forum for 8 years (despite my "join" date, where in fit of frustration last year, I deleted my profile). However, I'm also observing a new breed of traveler...my totally unproven scientific theory is that post-covid, a lot of people in general are not good with letting go of control. Heck I was a bit nervous on my first camino, but not like what I'm seeing now. It's just my personal observation on how camino conversations have shifted over the years.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last night I had a booking in Ventosa. Two ladies I had been walking with did not have bookings and even though they were the first to arrive, they did not get beds because this “in-between stages” place was fully reserved. They rang every place on Gronze in Najera, but they were all completo so they taxi-ed to Azofra.
I suspect they could have gone to the Fronton Municipal in Najera and got a mattress - there are only 4 of us here tonight. Because I have to walk short stages I decided to try booking the next week or so. I have had to be flexible due to many places being completo already, and I’ll be taking a chance on municipals that can’t be booked in advance.
It seems to be a big bed trouble bubble!!

I transferred a duffel bag last year, but this year I will be transferring a suitcase because I will be in Europe for two additional weeks after my Camino as I have a business function afterwards that requires a completely separate wardrobe. I wonder if the fact that more and more people coming to the Camino from farther and farther away affects there being more luggage transferred. When you are coming so far you might as well stay awhile if you can. I don’t know that the increase in luggage transfer necessarily indicates a significant change in Camino mindset for those walking.

Last night I had a booking in Ventosa. Two ladies I had been walking with did not have bookings and even though they were the first to arrive, they did not get beds because this “in-between stages” place was fully reserved. They rang every place on Gronze in Najera, but they were all completo so they taxi-ed to Azofra.
I suspect they could have gone to the Fronton Municipal in Najera and got a mattress - there are only 4 of us here tonight. Because I have to walk short stages I decided to try booking the next week or so. I have had to be flexible due to many places being completo already, and I’ll be taking a chance on municipals that can’t be booked in advance.
Are there only 4 beds there or did people just not show up after they had booked? I know that has been a problem in the past couple of years as well. We stayed at Sotes, which also has a limited number of beds in a small private albergue. Najera Municipal should be opening again in a few days as I think the work will be finished there. Closures do impact the number of beds, but in the end will make the Najera Municipal a better albergue. Best wishes to you on your Camino.

It would be nice to hear your thoughts on a separate live from the camino thread since I know you have lots of experiences to compare to this year to. No pressure, but I enjoy the reports of your past caminos with family. Maybe a summary at the end if you don't want to do it en route?

There has been a large uptick in questions on the forum about backpack/luggage transfer and how to get a taxi, but the way that I walk the Camino hasn't been affected.
Thank you, Trecile. I, accompanied by my brother, completed our Camino pilgrimage last September.
We ignored the so called 'Brierley' stages enjoying the small towns and villages. No trouble at all with accommodation. If one wants to meet people, they will appear. I often ranged ahead wanting solitude.
Don't sweat the small things, folks. Just walk!🇳🇿😎🇪🇸

I transferred a duffel bag last year, but this year I will be transferring a suitcase because I will be in Europe for two additional weeks after my Camino as I have a business function afterwards that requires a completely separate wardrobe. I wonder if the fact that more and more people coming to the Camino from farther and farther away affects there being more luggage transferred. When you are coming so far you might as well stay awhile if you can. I don’t know that the increase in luggage transfer necessarily indicates a significant change in Camino mindset for those walking.
Keep in mind that (*as per some previous posts on various threads) some albergues now-a-days will not accept a 'suitcase'

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
All the posts about completo albergues no matter where folks are vs previous week
What a difference a week makes!

Keep in mind that (*as per some previous posts on various threads) some albergues now-a-days will not accept a 'suitcase'
I have heard about that and it is why I transferred a duffel bag last year, just to be safe. I am staying entirely in private accommodations so that shouldn’t be a problem for me. I saw suitcases in many places I stayed last year. Although it might be worth considering the duffel route again. It is a pretty big bag. I will see how packing goes in a couple of weeks.

It's important for people to realize that there are "bubbles" of pilgrims, and adjusting stages can get you clear of a bubble.
I transferred a duffel bag last year, but this year I will be transferring a suitcase because I will be in Europe for two additional weeks
I carry my backpack, but I usually arrive in Europe with a suitcase containing my non pilgrim clothes. I send it to Santiago before starting on the Camino.
I think that is overblown. There was a report of one private albergue that would accept backpacks, but not suitcases. That report was followed up by discussion of albergues that don't accept any type of luggage, including backpacks - mostly municipals, parochials, and donativos, and suddenly there was a rumor that there were many private albergues that won't accept suitcases.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Back to SJPDP? Not to Burguete? The municipal albergues generally don't take reservations and it's 1st come. Once you get to Pamplona at the end of day 3 things open up. Usually you can find people sleeping in the lobby of the monastery at Roncesvalles or out in the courtyard. Grab a few hours sleep and get an early start to Zubiri and get a bed at the municipal... Next day is Pamplona and beyond & it gets easier.

I thought about shipping the suitcase direct to Santiago. But I would be shipping a daily bag regardless (I prefer to carry only a minimal amount while I walk) so paying to ship two bags didn’t make sense.

It's important for people to realize that there are "bubbles" of pilgrims, and adjusting stages can get you clear of a bubble.

I carry my backpack, but I usually arrive in Europe with a suitcase containing my non pilgrim clothes. I send it to Santiago before starting on the Camino.

I think that is overblown. There was a report of one private albergue that would accept backpacks, but not suitcases. That report was followed up by discussion of albergues that don't accept any type of luggage, including backpacks - mostly municipals, parochials, and donativos, and suddenly there was a rumor that there were many private albergues that won't accept suitcases.
Actually last year I believe there were at least seven that wouldn't accept suitcases. Just check in advance, it is isn't everyone, but it would be a pain if it was one of them you chose. The bag transport companies should also know.

Were those private albergues, or albergues that don't accept any bags?
Not sure, I think they were FICS associated so maybe a mix. I recall Rebekah mentioning and I believe there was an article in La Voz. I recall that shortly after HosVol put out their newsletter telling hospitaleros our albergues were to accept suitcases. Of course they had to be delivered elsewhere and hand carried to the albergue. We had one couple with a suitcase at Arres about that time. It was delivered to the Casa Rural in the village and the woman owner retrieved it and wanted to leave it open on a bed or in the walkway and Phil kindly explained she needed to get out of it way and she needed and store it under the bunk where it would not be a trip hazard, etc. Sorry, more detail than you want, probably, but it was important to our work at that time.

Last edited:
Just to clarify. Some people who plan to stay at an municipal, parochial, or donativo albergue that does not accept transferred bags may have their backpack or suitcase sent to a bar or other albergue that will accept it, then walk over to the municipal, parochial, or donativo albergue with their bag. Some of these will not let you stay there if you are using a suitcase rather than a backpack.

Again, this has no bearing on the majority of private albergues.

Also, if you are having your pack transported in my opinion you should have a reservation at the place where you send your backpack or suitcase. It's not fair to expect hospitaleros to watch over your bag if you have no intention of staying there.

But it finally joins in to Frances as I understand (not got that far with my Web-Apps yet), so will the problem simply get transferred to Santiago itself?
By the time you reach the CF there is a lot more pilgrim infrastructure and accomodation. Past Pamplona pilgrims begin to spread out more and more. The busiest time in the last 100 km will be in the late summer when Spaniards go on holiday.

and suddenly there was a rumor that there were many private albergues that won't accept suitcases.
You've already clarified that this a rumour and not a fact.

Also, people often overlook that numerous private albergues are not even "pilgrims only" albergues but accept all kinds of travellers while they are "oriented towards pilgrims".

There is a list of those albergues that joined a newly created "Camino Francés Federación" and, according to a communication from this organisation, will no longer accept suitcases in their premises. The albergues are managed by Friends of the Camino associations and they are listed below. None are in Galicia and none are on the section between SJPP and Pamplona. This made the news last year in June 2023:

Albergue de peregrinos municipal de Estella (Navarra)
Albergue de peregrinos Isaac Santiago de Los Arcos (Navarra)
Albergue Elías Valiña de Canfranc (Aragón, Hueca)
Albergue de peregrinos municipal de Logroño (La Rioja)
Albergue de peregrinos municipal de Navarrete (La Rioja)
Albergue de peregrinos municipal de Nájera (La Rioja)
Albergue de la Cofradía del Santo (Santo Domingo de la Calzada, La Rioja)
Albergue de peregrinos municipal de Burgos (Burgos)
Albergue de peregrinos Siervas de María (Astorga, León)
Albergue parroquial de Foncebadón (Foncebadón, León)
Albergue parroquial Santiago Apóstol (El Acebo, León)
Albergue San Nicolás le Flüe (Ponferrada, León)
Source: https://caminofrancesfederacion.com...o-admitiran-maletas-a-partir-del-12-de-junio/

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You've already clarified that this a rumour and not a fact.

Also, people often overlook that numerous private albergues are not even "pilgrims only" albergues but accept all kinds of travellers while they are "oriented towards pilgrims".

There is a list of those albergues that joined a newly created "Camino Francés Federación" and, according to a communication from this organisation, will no longer accept suitcases in their premises. The albergues are managed by Friends of the Camino associations and they are listed below. None are in Galicia and none are on the section between SJPP and Pamplona. This made the news last year in June 2023:

Albergue de peregrinos municipal de Estella (Navarra)
Albergue de peregrinos Isaac Santiago de Los Arcos (Navarra)
Albergue Elías Valiña de Canfranc (Aragón, Hueca)
Albergue de peregrinos municipal de Logroño (La Rioja)
Albergue de peregrinos municipal de Navarrete (La Rioja)
Albergue de peregrinos municipal de Nájera (La Rioja)
Albergue de la Cofradía del Santo (Santo Domingo de la Calzada, La Rioja)
Albergue de peregrinos municipal de Burgos (Burgos)
Albergue de peregrinos Siervas de María (Astorga, León)
Albergue parroquial de Foncebadón (Foncebadón, León)
Albergue parroquial Santiago Apóstol (El Acebo, León)
Albergue San Nicolás le Flüe (Ponferrada, León)
Source: https://caminofrancesfederacion.com...o-admitiran-maletas-a-partir-del-12-de-junio/
I just read the news article that you sourced for your post.

I am much relieved that I am not the only one distressed by the numbers of people who travel the CF, as pilgrims, with suitcases.

Travel the CF! It is a wonderful journey! If you drive, take a bus tour, etc. enjoy the journey!

However, this announcement finds the words I could not find:

". . . protect the essence of the Camino de Santiago, a pilgrimage road that requires effort, temperance, and sacrifice to be carried out in the traditional way . . . want to protect as much as possible from the tourist contagion of the pilgrimage and the trivialization of the Jacobean tradition.. . . the proliferation of the transport of suitcases and backpacks is becoming more and more shocking."

As I slowly (!) edge up in years, I know I will yearn to walk, yet will find it more and more challenging. I am glad to know that, if needed, alternative support may be available.

However, I also know I will not be afraid that, somehow, I will not be "able to make it" under my own power. If it means doing 5 km a day, so be it. I hope that, the older I get, the lighter my pack will become.

I have faith that, somehow, as always, the Camino will provide for poor, plodding pilgrims like me who slowly advance along this path laid out 1,000 years ago. I will become part of that tradition.

HUZZAH! OK now. Let the criticisms begin!!!!

I am sorry, I am almost late for a coffee with a friend. I cannot go though without saying that another friend stayed in Pamplona, Casa Paderborn, last night. Plenty of free beds.
What really are the issues now? I mean, compared to the longtime pilgrims still active on the forum? My CF was 2006, so more or less the dark ages. Luggage transfer? Why? That was then.
More recently, on the C I, luggage transfer yes, due to my correct reading of the accommodation options and my limitations.
And finally: the forum is for pilgrims helping pilgrims. If I do not want to know what you, fellow members, think, I should, and frequently do, delete my wonderfully crafted pieces.
C'mon, the sun is shining, against all forecast predictions.
Go out, have a walk! Seriously!
But try this out:
1714562769103.jpeg
It sure helps even when there is no actual sunshine.

Are there only 4 beds there or did people just not show up after they had booked? I know that has been a problem in the past couple of years as well. We stayed at Sotes, which also has a limited number of beds in a small private albergue. Najera Municipal should be opening again in a few days as I think the work will be finished there. Closures do impact the number of beds, but in the end will make the Najera Municipal a better albergue. Best wishes to you on your Camino.

It would be nice to hear your thoughts on a separate live from the camino thread since I know you have lots of experiences to compare to this year to. No pressure, but I enjoy the reports of your past caminos with family. Maybe a summary at the end if you don't want to do it en route?
There were at least 20 mattresses in the Fronton - I’m sure they could have stayed there, but regardless, they could not stay at Ventosa. Clearly some of the in between stages are filling up.
I spent an afternoon plotting out the next week - and checking that I could get accommodations t the short intervals I need to be walking for ensure my Achilles will take me all the way to Santiago (and there is another conversation - people pushing on despite injuries, dosing up on pain killers to mask the pain and likely be doing more damage) - I have had to change my tentative plans because places are booked out - but I can still make it work. I am still expecting to stay in some municipals and parrochials and so cannot book them (although some municipals have been taking bookings)….I will report back when I have finished. My current gut feeling is that contrary to popular opinion, you will be fine in the big towns where there are many options, but may be disappointed in the smaller ones if you dońt have a booking.

Keep in mind that Booking.com has little to do with actual availability. Hotels don't post all of their rooms and many other small places aren't listed at all. It's a little more trouble, but calling directly is much more likely to find you a bed.

I have just arrived at SdC from the CF and have found it difficult to get accommodation but in the end always succeeded. I have friends still walking who report having to walk 30km days for accommodation. I have seen people turned away fro full Albergue.
The use of the various Apps and direct calling/WhatsApp are all good advice but it is very tight.
I walk for reflection and meditation not the exercise particularly and frankly accomadation concerns rather spoil that.

As well as Gronze, this is another site that has details of albergues and other accommodation on many caminos.
I’m on the Primitivo just now and Grado was pretty well filled yesterday with th beds.old all with old people , like me . The hospitario spend some time finding me a place , there were a number of small places with beds. I think if you are there they will find a place .

Forget Booking.com and contact the Albergues direct instead. There are usually more beds available than have been allotted to B.Com. Use Buen Camino App, Gronze.com ( open in Google Chrome and it will auto translate to English), Wise Pilgrim App or whatever you choose.

I agree! I am from Australia and its a long and expensive flight to Europe.Why not tag an extra month or so onto the camino walk with a trip in Europe.I have had mt luggage transported twice for this reason (separate non camino clothing required).

We have just finished the end part of the Camino Frances from O Ceberio to Santiago de Compostela. We booked everything in advance this time before we travelled as this is a very busy route. Spoke to other pilgrims who also had booked ahead of travelling. I appreciate it takes away from the true pilgrim experience though.

I appreciate it takes away from the true pilgrim experience though.
How so?
Although I prefer not to book every night ahead, where you sleep and whether or not you book anead has nothing to do with being a pilgrim. It's your intention to be a pilgrim that counts.😊

How so?
Although I prefer not to book every night ahead, where you sleep and whether or not you book anead has nothing to do with being a pilgrim. It's your intention to be a pilgrim that counts.😊
I agree with you. I suppose if one wants to take it the whole hog then, to fully experience a ‘true’ Pilgrim experience, perhaps, to some, might mean that one should walk bare foot, carry no food or coinage and live off of the kindness of strangers. It is what is in your heart and in you head and in your soul, that dictates what a Pilgrim is. And everybody’s version is different. 😁

I am starting May 9 from Soria (not Sarria). Its about 4or 5 days to get to Burgos. This is Camino Castellano-Aragones I think.. links up with El Cid, or Lana south of Sanato Domingo de Silos, then continues on through Covarrubias to Burgos. Very interesting Monastery at Silos ... famos for Gregorian Chanting Benedictine Monks .. was very popular in US a few years back. Covarrubias is beautiful town with its own Camino St. Olaf from Burgos...to tomb of a Norweigian saint....will be very lightly travelled by all accounts. I am biking it on th via verde Snatander-Mediteraneo ..which is a "rail-trail" which parallels the camino and is in places the camino itself. ...somewhereon this site is a video of some folks walking it ... dont recall where exactly

I am starting May 9 from Soria (not Sarria). Its about 4or 5 days to get to Burgos. This is Camino Castellano-Aragones I think.. links up with El Cid, or Lana south of Sanato Domingo de Silos, then continues on through Covarrubias to Burgos. Very interesting Monastery at Silos ... famos for Gregorian Chanting Benedictine Monks .. was very popular in US a few years back. Covarrubias is beautiful town with its own Camino St. Olaf from Burgos...to tomb of a Norweigian saint....will be very lightly travelled by all accounts. I am biking it on th via verde Snatander-Mediteraneo ..which is a "rail-trail" which parallels the camino and is in places the camino itself. ...somewhereon this site is a video of some folks walking it ... dont recall where exactly
I do hope that you will post a 'Live from the Camino' thread about your experience on this route, @chechakoman. Last year I diverted on a round trip by bike from Burgos to Covarrubias. I can highly recommend the Pension Galin in that lovely little town, seen here at the end of the street approaching from one of the town gates.
IMG_5199.jpeg
Are you aware that this is Sergio Leone territory?

I'm so glad I did it in 'the old days' when there were true pilgrim mentalities. Just walked as far as you could or wanted and stayed in a municipal hostal. No mobile phone or booking.com! Now organised tour companies seem to be the norm - as you can see on this forum - there are so many.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m on the Frances right now, it’s not my first CF but probably my last. I’ve noticed alburgues are not always asking for credentials, today I met some non pilgrims as did a friend in Castrojerez. Seems some people are searching for bargain travel and they’ve hit the jackpot on the Camino. There are big groups and most alburgues I’ve stayed in are ‘completo’. Another thing I’ve noticed is the number of walkers doesn’t seem to coincide with the numbers in alburgues. Maybe it’s just my timing but other ‘veteran’ pilgrims agree with me. Something seems off.🙁

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
Hello Fellow Pilgrims, We are walking for the first time in two weeks and getting all our logistic ducks in a row (all that we can think of, anyway) - we’ve done a little research and asked...
I found I couldn't make any reservation in SJPP in the coming days. They are fully booked. I can't find even a single bed. What should I do? Is there anybody has a same situation?
Roncesvalles or push to Burguete? I prefer to avoid the recommended stages to avoid the race for albergues. Do you suggest Burguete? Is Roncesvalles too busy?
Hi there, I am Nicole. I will start my trip from Villar de Mazarife on 20th May 2024, ends in Ponferrada. It will be my first time ever to hike on camino and I will be hiking alone. I have planned...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back