• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing..do i really need a sleeping bag for October

Rajy62

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013, Norte/primitivo 2014, vdlp (2015)
My flight leaves in 48 hrs and am busy packing and want to cut down on my pack weight. I am reading mixed comments about the need for a sleeping back for October hike on camino frances. Some say it is a must because not all alberques will offer blankets, others say leave it behind. Btw, i intend to stay mainly in private rooms ether at albergues/pensions.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, I am currently on the Camino, in Samos. I brought a liner as I am a very warm sleeper. However, in Leon I had to buy a sleeping bag. Two times prior to being in Leon I froze at night. One albergue did not have blankets the other albergue had them but a couple of women from Germany took them all to make tents of their lower bunks. Since buying the bag I have had to use it twice. The bag cost 49€ and weighs 600g.

My vote is to take it.

Raj-- 600 gms = 1.32 lbs and worth its weight burden. Sleep (and warmth needed) is something you should not take lightly esp. when walking over 800 kms.

I second the vote to take it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
OK message received! Sleeping bag is in. Thanks for the quick feedback.

As you can clearly see some say one thing and others say the another.:D

Here´s my 2 cents - I only walk the Camino in summer and I carry a lightweight sleeping bag. At bedtime I wear a long sleeve T shirt, cotton leggings and clean pair of socks. On my 3 Caminos I have used my sleeping bag as a blanket twice. On my next Camino (hopefully next summer) I shall carry it again.

The ball is in your court.:)

P.S. - please keep us all informed what you finally do and how it goes on your Camino.

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Raj,
I walked in early spring, not autumn, and carried a sleeping bag, which I would do again. But having said that, if you already plan to stay in hostels/private rooms, then not carrying a sleeping bag is still an option. You will clearly not want to stay in a place that cannot provide blankets, but a phone call ahead might allow you to confirm what your options are and where to avoid.

Regards,

Hello All,

Walked the Camino Frances last autumn (started on the 21st September!) carried my sleeping bag from SJPDP to Pamplona. Used it the first three nights (ie from SJPDP to Pamplona).

1. Had originally planned to post things forward to Santiago for myself as I was having a holiday in Spain after the Camino.
2. Headed out early from SJPDP and didn't wait for the post office to open
3. Thought as it was just a few kilos more it wouldn't matter for a short while - as I thought I would find a post office BEFORE Pamplona
4. No post office before Pamplona
5. The extra weight did matter

In Pamplona I promptly reviewed my pack, sorted out the stuff I had originally planned to post --- AND got rid of a bit more -- including the sleeping bag. Kept my silk liner. I used blankets ALL the way to Finisterra.

Would say it was the EXCEPTION that an albuerque runs out of blankets. (And yes, later on I did the lower bed tent trick - as somone had shown me how!)

To be my own devil's advocate, I would point out the following: later in October / early November, a few albuerques were turning their heating low/off, as the river of pilgrtims had turned into a trickle (especially en route to Finisterre). That said, there were LESS pilrims and MORE blankets.

Additionally - the weather gods were benificent last year - I had mostly EXCELLENT weather throughout (including a few very rainy days). However, the albuerques or some, had fireplaces, and the autumnal sunshine was a blessing and bliss.... however, every year is different.

Flexibility is everything on the Camino. Go without the sleeping bag and see what happens. On the Camino Frances, there will be opportunities to buy one along the way if the weather or your mind (body temperature) changes!

Wishing you a Light Heart and light pack; [ taking it all lightly - will LIGHT your way! :) ]

Buen Camino!

( just off on the Camino Norte - flying out 1 October aiming to start 4-5 Oct)

Blessings to All,

Francesca

Here's a trick for keeping warm with or without a sleeping bag but always with a liner and hopefully a blanket. In autumn and winter albergues are often frigid, without heat or hot water. Be prepared! Make a cozy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding a blanket in half the long way, place your liner or sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your poncho beneath the you to block the cold from rising.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It would be wise to carry a lightweight sleeping bag as the weather can be unpredictable. My albergue in santiago do not have any blankets as the cost can be prohibitive (110 - 150 beds). However many peregrinos have generously donated their sleeping bags at the end of their caminos. We use them as substitues for blankets.

Buen camino.

Take a lightweight sleeping bag. Also, warm, lightweight sleeping attire. Chosen correctly, they can pull double duty.

Ok sounds like I'll need a sleeping bag (walking from Leon on 5th Oct). Do I also need a fleece or is a t-shirt, long-sleeved shirt and thin cashmere jumper plus thin paclight waterproof enough?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
is a t-shirt, long-sleeved shirt and thin cashmere jumper plus thin paclight waterproof enough?
Put it on a home, and go visit a walk-in refrigerator or freezer. If you are comfortable, it will be enough! And remember, you also may have a poncho to put on top of all of it. Style does not count!

Ok i thought about the sleeping back some more and decided not to take it. It is not for the weight but it consumes few liters of volume. Instead i picked up one of those emergency survival blankets (heatsheets) that weighs nothing. It does not make sense to stay in private rooms that does not offer bedsheets at least. I am a cold sleeper. even in the winter i only use a cotton sheet.

Secondly, after all the downloading of pdf files on all the various stages of CF, i uncovered a smartphone app for my android phone. It is called camino de santiago and it is free from google playstore. I turned it on and instantly uses the gps on my phone and tells me the start of the trail 56xx km away. It does not identify the private room alberques yet, but after my trip i will give feedback to improve this app. Anyone savvy with smartphones, this is a great backup for maps etc.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Ok sounds like I'll need a sleeping bag (walking from Leon on 5th Oct). Do I also need a fleece or is a t-shirt, long-sleeved shirt and thin cashmere jumper plus thin paclight waterproof enough?

I would advise having a seperate set of clothes for sleeping. Your day clothes will need to air out and dry, particularly if they are sweaty. If you wear them to bed they will be damp and you will feel chilled when you get up.

The purpose of a sleeping bag and blankets are to keep you warm. They work by trapping air that your body has warmed. Wearing a full set of clothing can interfere with a sleeping bag's or blanket's ability to do so.

Once the sun goes down it can get cold just walking to the store or restaurant or even relaxing around the albergue. You need a fleece for that. Same as at home.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back