• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing List Final Review. Starting in a week! :)

NinaCamina

Time of past OR future Camino
May 8 - June 21.
Frances + Salvador + Primitivo
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days)
I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO .

Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic toiletries); I would love to check if i’m MISSING some essentials, if I’m bringing EXTRA useless stuff that I should LEAVE at home and any final suggestions. I would appreciate your wise experience :)

ESSENTIALS
  • Passport + ID
  • Driving License
  • Insurance printed info
  • 2 Credit, 2 Debit Cards

CLOTHES
  • 1 Columbia rain jacket
  • 1 100% merino wool sweater
  • 1 Light hiking pants
  • 1 Capri Leggings (double as pyjamas)
  • 1 Short (double as pyjamas)
  • 2 sport bras
  • 3 Underwear
  • 3 merino wool socks (cushioning: 1 light, 1 medium, 1 ultra light; planning the double sock approach, using the ultra light ones + another pair)
  • 2 long sleeved shirts for walking
1 light tank top or similar for sleeping/evenings/city
  • Chaco sandals (evenings + walking when too hot or feet tired of sneakers)
  • altra lone peak sneakers
  • Buff SPF
DOUBTS:
  • Should I bring an additional light shirt for evenings/sleeping/city ? I’m mostly inclined to yes, bring it.
  • Should I bring a bikini ? (is it even worth it in my camino?)
  • I have an additional small microfiber hand towel, should I bring it for drying my feet during the walk breaks ?

First Aid

• Nail clipper
  • Bandaids (joints and fingers, compeed and regular)
  • Needle
  • Leukoplast
  • Vaseline
  • Microdacyn (antiseptic spray 60ml)

DOUBTS:

Do I really need this: (if yes, what for? Leukoplast tears easily)

• Tweezers
  • Small scissors
  • Polysporin

Accessories

• Phone + charger
  • External Battery + cable
  • Europe adapter
  • waist pack
  • Wide Hat
  • sunglasses
  • Carabiners
  • Hair ties
  • sleeping mask
  • Sarong (use as towel)
  • 1 insulated water bottle 500 ml (I NEED cold water)
  • 1 vapur bottle (700ml, ultra compact and light)

DOUBTS: Do I really need:
  • Clothes line and pins?

Things I’ll buy there if I find I DO need them:

Trekking poles
Head Lamp

GENERAL QUESTIONS:
My dad is suggesting I bring a second pair of shoes, so I can use one per day and switch the next day; I say is too much weight (and I haven’t seen anyone else doing that so…) my quick answer is no, but would like to hear some opinions.

Apps I have: Strava for recording my walks, Buen camino App, Camino Ninja, Gronze maps.

I also have WIKILOC, but I'm not sure if I should pay for the premium version, do you recommend? This app I'm mainly interested in the beeping sound it makes if you leave the path (I think I understood it does that) Does it actually do that? Do I need premium for that?

The first two days I will have no e sim, since I will get a physical one when getting to Pamplona, they have better packages and I'm on a 85 days total trip in Europe.

I hope I'm not forgetting any more questions!
THANKS EVERYONE :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
doubts issues:
I bring some safety pins instead of clothes pins. Most albergues have a clothes line or rack.
Up to you, but I don't bring neosporin, scissors. I usually have tweezers. You can usually borrow what you don't have from someone. Pilgrims are usually good to share.

Last edited:
I've never needed Wikiloc at all. I have the free version and used it on some alternatives on the Norte, but I would have been fine without it.

Make sure that you complete all the downloads on your apps so that you can use them offline.

If it's hot, and there's a place to swim you will want to take advantage. I wear the camisole that I sleep in and swim bottoms, but shorts would work too. Sports bra can double as swim top too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’m curious, have you weighed your kit? To walk far, carry less.

With regard to your dad’s concern, I wear the same walking shoes every day. But, like you, I have sandals to wear in the afternoons and evenings after my hiking is over. The extra weight of a second pair of shoes would be my main concern.

Are you bringing a sleeping bag? Maybe I just missed it on your list.

You might also like to download the app Mapy.cz. Good maps with the Camino trails along with other information like restaurants and accommodations.

Finally, I found trekking poles really useful. If you don’t start out with them and later want them you could certainly pick them up in Pamplona.

Buen Camino.

I'm someone who weighs everything so I would obviously advise to weigh your backpack before you make any changes!
Mind that the toiletries/first aid stuff usually end up weighing quite a bit even if you take the minimum...
Imo, you don't need an extra shirt (you already have 2 + a tank top) nor do you need an extra towel (You have one + the sarong).
No to a second pair of walking shoes, you have the sandals.
What I don't see on your list is a sleeping bag or liner . You'll need something if you plan to stay in albergues.
Also take sun cream (or buy it in Spain).
If the weight of your bag is quite low, then I'd bring the bikini. Otherwise, what @trecile said!
Buen camino!

Adding to the chorus for at least a sleeping bag liner. I stayed in private rooms in albergues that provide bedding but some places looked kinda sketchy so I slept in my liner on top. They are lightweight and don’t take up a lot of room, so worth it!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Suggestion: an esim both Airalo or Saily are worth considering, amongst others. You can connect easily upon or before arrival.
A Wise card or equivalent would be handy, easier to pay via Google wallet or similar.

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days)

Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic toiletries); I would love to check if i’m MISSING some essentials, if I’m bringing EXTRA useless stuff that I should LEAVE at home and any final suggestions. I would appreciate your wise experience :)

ESSENTIALS
  • Passport + ID
  • Driving License
  • Insurance printed info

CLOTHES
  • 1 Columbia rain jacket
  • 1 Light hiking pants
  • 2 sport bras
  • 3 Underwear
  • 3 merino wool socks (cushioning: 1 light, 1 medium, 1 ultra light; planning the double sock approach, using the ultra light ones + another pair)
  • Buff SPF
DOUBTS:
  • Should I bring an additional light shirt for evenings/sleeping/city ? I’m mostly inclined to yes, bring it.
  • I have an additional small microfiber hand towel, should I bring it for drying my feet during the walk breaks ?

First Aid

• Nail clipper
  • Needle
  • Leukoplast
  • Vaseline

DOUBTS:

• Tweezers
  • Small scissors
  • Polysporin

Accessories

• Phone + charger
  • Europe adapter
  • waist pack
  • Wide Hat
  • sunglasses
  • Carabiners
  • Hair ties
  • sleeping mask
  • Sarong (use as towel)

• Clothes line and pins?

Trekking poles
Head Lamp
A second pair of shoes is a luxury that you can do without.
As regards apps, you might want to add the Mapy.cz app, especially if you are walking alone. Using the outdoor map, you will see the entire camino. Additionally, you can download the map of Spain, so you don't need wifi for real time navigation.
GENERAL QUESTIONS:
My dad is suggesting I bring a second pair of shoes, so I can use one per day and switch the next day; I say is too much weight (and I haven’t seen anyone else doing that so…) my quick answer is no, but would like to hear some opinions.

Apps I have: Strava for recording my walks, Buen camino App, Camino Ninja, Gronze maps.

I also have WIKILOC, but I'm not sure if I should pay for the premium version, do you recommend? This app I'm mainly interested in the beeping sound it makes if you leave the path (I think I understood it does that) Does it actually do that? Do I need premium for that?

The first two days I will have no e sim, since I will get a physical one when getting to Pamplona, they have better packages and I'm on a 85 days total trip in Europe.

Adding to the chorus for at least a sleeping bag liner. I stayed in private rooms in albergues that provide bedding but some places looked kinda sketchy so I slept in my liner on top. They are lightweight and don’t take up a lot of room, so worth it!
Yes!! after research and help from everyone in the group, I realized you definitely need a sleeping bag liner, so mine is already bought! Forgot to add it on the list though! :)

I'm someone who weighs everything so I would obviously advise to weigh your backpack before you make any changes!
Mind that the toiletries/first aid stuff usually end up weighing quite a bit even if you take the minimum...
Imo, you don't need an extra shirt (you already have 2 + a tank top) nor do you need an extra towel (You have one + the sarong).
No to a second pair of walking shoes, you have the sandals.
What I don't see on your list is a sleeping bag or liner . You'll need something if you plan to stay in albergues.
Also take sun cream (or buy it in Spain).
If the weight of your bag is quite low, then I'd bring the bikini. Otherwise, what @trecile said!
Buen camino!
Thank you! Yes I realized if I bring "nice" tops, I can wear them as an evening outfit :) so not bringing the extra shirt. And only brining the sarong :)
I just ordered a scale on amazon

No need for an additional pair of shoes - your altras and Chacos will be sufficient (I only bring Chacos with me, for everything).

One thing about waiting to see if you need trekking poles, some of the hardest sections and that where it's most beneficial to have poles (for the downhill) are at the very beginning so you might find you need them but are unable to get them until reaching Pamplona.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

ESSENTIALS
  • Passport + ID
  • Driving License
  • Insurance printed info

CLOTHES
  • 1 Columbia rain jacket
  • 1 Light hiking pants
  • 2 sport bras
  • 3 Underwear
  • Buff SPF
DOUBTS:

First Aid

• Nail clipper
  • Needle
  • Leukoplast
  • Vaseline

DOUBTS:

• Tweezers
  • Small scissors
  • Polysporin

Accessories

• Phone + charger
  • Europe adapter
  • waist pack
  • Wide Hat
  • sunglasses
  • Carabiners
  • Hair ties
  • sleeping mask
  • Sarong (use as towel)

• Clothes line and pins?

Trekking poles
Head Lamp

GENERAL QUESTIONS:

The weather on the Camino Frances, Galicia area, has been very wet and cold the past 10 days & since we reached Santiago. Definitely a rain poncho was worn everyday. You can buy them along the route...

No need for an additional pair of shoes - your altras and Chacos will be sufficient (I only bring Chacos with me, for everything).

One thing about waiting to see if you need trekking poles, some of the hardest sections and that where it's most beneficial to have poles (for the downhill) are at the very beginning so you might find you need them but are unable to get them until reaching Pamplona.
Thank you! I will try an buy them at decathlon in Bordeaux, which is my last stop before SJPDP. (I would also use them on el salvador; which I read is tough) but I think it's worth the 15 euros investment, so I might as well get them from the beginning.

Have you made reservations in the bottleneck? All beds were full last night in SJPP and today in Roncesvalles
I have in SJPDP, roncesvalles, and Zubiri, hopefully will get a bed in Pamplona, and after that I will evaluate if I make reservations or just hope for the best in the albergues (also depending on my walking speed)

Thank you! I will try an buy them at decathlon in Bordeaux, which is my last stop before SJPDP. (I would also use them on el salvador; which I read is tough) but I think it's worth the 15 euros investment, so I might as well get them from the beginning.
Do post about your experience on the Salvador - I will be walking that in July and would love to hear how it goes for you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A drain plug for the sink. You may need to wash your hair, your body, your clothes and you wont find a plugin many places. Small bar of laundry soap. I like those clothes pins with a loop built in - I'll try to post a link. I always carry a clothes line and use it every time. I carry a Platypus 2L water bottle - it is a little more heavy duty than what you have and its what backpackers use. You will need to carry at least 2L water on many stages. Your list looks pretty good - try to limit weight of backpack contents to 10% of your body weight (I do not include weight of backpack itself - if it is a well designed backpack, I consider it a extension of my body) If you have extra space add that extra top you mentioned. You don't need GPS to walk El Camino, that said your one electronic device is a handy tool. If you use Google Maps on phone download map of where your going. Download map to your phone and you can use map offline. Try to get Vodafone SIM card when you arrive in Spain - I picked up Vodafone SIM at Madrid Airport 2 weeks ago. Download a language translator to your phone.https://www.amazon.com/Art-Beauty-C...4996461&sprefix=clothespin+with,aps,95&sr=8-5
Have an amazing time,

ESSENTIALS
  • Passport + ID
  • Driving License
  • Insurance printed info

CLOTHES
  • 1 Columbia rain jacket
  • 1 Light hiking pants
  • 2 sport bras
  • 3 Underwear
  • Buff SPF
DOUBTS:

First Aid

• Nail clipper
  • Needle
  • Leukoplast
  • Vaseline

DOUBTS:

• Tweezers
  • Small scissors
  • Polysporin

Accessories

• Phone + charger
  • Europe adapter
  • waist pack
  • Wide Hat
  • sunglasses
  • Carabiners
  • Hair ties
  • sleeping mask
  • Sarong (use as towel)

• Clothes line and pins?

Trekking poles
Head Lamp

GENERAL QUESTIONS:

I guess you're now in Spain, waiting for dawn - you did say you start on the 8th. So:
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

So….. we had 1 inch of rain here at home in a 4 hour period. We found it and opportunity to test our packs/setup. We hiked 12 miles in pure downpour. We both wore shorts and no pack covers as mine...
I’m walking the Frances in late Oct thru November. Is a 55L osprey too large in your opinion? Thx is for suggestions. Frank
I’ve been on Camino Norte for about eight days averaging around 30 to 35 km. I’ve gotten some blisters on the sides of my feet mostly the pinky toes and one on my big toe. I just came to the...
Buen Camino everyone. First timer here. Going to be starting my camino from porto at the end of this month and trying to find an e-sim that will work in both Portugal and Spain. I will there for...
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
(Not sure where to put this post.) I make shampoo and conditioner bars and get requests for scents I don't have. I'd like to get an idea from camino walkers of which of the scents I make would...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.