• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona to Estella in three gentle days (March 18-20 ish)?

Rhys

Time of past OR future Camino
CF March 2024
I am thinking of taking three days to walk Pamplona to Estella (or a tad further?) rather than the “stages” two. (These will be my first three days, thus spreading the 45+ km to have a warm-up to longer days.)

How would you split? Keep in mind that I will be walking this week (March 18-is start) so availability of reservable accommodation is a consideration.

Looks like many of the days this coming week will be rainy/drizzly with the heavy rain on Wednesday….

Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You can split it fairly evenly:

Pamplona to Uterga16.77 km
Uterga to Ciraqui14.72 k
Ciraqui to Estella14.16 km

Check Gronze for accommodation options

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You can split it fairly evenly:

Uterga to Ciraqui14.72 k
Ciraqui to Estella14.16 km

Check Gronze for accommodation options

That's what I'll do. Tranquil. But I will walk the road down from Alto del Perdon to Uterga due to the steep and rough stony/rocky descent.

Casa Bastan is open in Uterga at your dates. Good place.
Ciraqui : No albergue open those dates. Better to stop in Puente la Reina.
Albergue Exteiurdina in Villatuerta is open on your dates. 18 kms from Puente la Reina. You can do it.

Last edited:
Ciraqui : No albergue open those dates. Better to stop in Puente la Reina.
Thanks for checking the dates.
Instead of Ciraqui, try Lorca - there are some private places that are open in March.

Here's a revised plan:

Uterga to Lorca20.44 km
Lorca to Estella8.44 km

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for checking the dates.
Instead of Ciraqui, try Lorca - there are some private places that are open in March.

Here's a revised plan:

Uterga to Lorca20.44 km
Lorca to Estella8.44 km
Ah, yes. I just checked albergues only. Also see my post above. There are (more pricy) alternatives. I am planning my Camino after this Easter, and then everytihing/most will be open :cool:

As for Lorca: Nothing open in March it seems. A pity: It is such a nice little place.

Thanks all. Booking shows casa Bastan requires 2 nights so I have sent email asking about 1night.

Also glad to know about taking the road at Alto de Perdon as it might be a bit much for my knee this early in the game.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Casa Nahia Hostal Rural is open
[URL un infurl="true"]https://www.gronze.com/navarra/lorca/casa-nahia-hostal-rural[/URL]
Ah, yes. I simply prefer albergues, and checked only those. I prefer albergues: I prefer to be in the "albergue spirit" joining with pilgrims in communal dinners etc., although now and then I indulce a night in a hostal/hotel for the luxury of privacy/bathroom etc.

For me, the Camino is also about togetherness. But at less-frequent walking times of the year, one has to approach hostels/hotels to get along.

If you are talking about the road to the right after Alto del Perdon, it is all pavement and less steep than the rocky path but it will take you longer to join up with the Camino at the bottom.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We walked Pamplona to Uturga, then to Maneru, then to Estella.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Here's a revised plan:

Uterga to Lorca20.44 km
Lorca to Estella8.44 km
Probably should revise this one too. Add 3 km to the Uterga to Lorca segment to include a visit to the church of Santa María in Eunate. Many say to make this detour, none say they did and wish they hadn't.

Click to enlarge.
Screenshot_20240316-123058.png

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I agree, walking to Uterga from Pamplona is far enough for the 1st day. I barely made it to Obanos on my 1st Camino and wished that I had stayed in Uterga.
Another suggestion is to perhaps stay near the edge of Pamplona instead of in the middle near the Cathedral? Saves a lot of km. that 1st day just trying to walk out of town. There are a lot of cheap pensions near the University and you can be out of Pamplona in 30 min. We had a lovely dbl room for 35€. There were many restaurants around this area too.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back