• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona to SJPDP

Gaelic59

El Norte aspirant
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2011, 2013--now planning for Camino El Norte in May 2015
Peregrinos
I am booked to arrive in Pamplona on May 12th on the train from Barcelona.
Need info on how to get to SJPDP to start walking on May 13th.
Am willing to share van or bus or taxi. Any ideas or takers welcome.
Many thanks
Ed
Toronto

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola Ed,

The bus company Conda is providing a bus route from Pamplona to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. It's a service intended for pilgrims.

The bus service operates:
From 22nd March until 7th April &
From 1st May until 11th November.

From 8th April until 30th April: does not run!!
From 12th November until 21st March: does not run

It leaves Pamplona (from the main bus station) at 14h every day.
Cost €15.
Tickets can be ordered from Conda's web page or can be bought at the main bus station of Pamplona.

More info: http://www.conda.es/eventos.php?tipo=3&id=438

Regards

István from Pamplona
http://www.caminoteca.com

Couple questions,

The Alsa site doesn't show this route when I try to book it for a day between 12-14 May. It shows it ending at the end of March. Will the site be updated closer those dates? I couldn't find the days listed anywhere except where you posted them.

Thanks
RR

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The best you can do is accept the Conda representation:
¿Cómo llegar?

Se trata de una ruta que une Pamplona con la localidad francesa de Saint Jean de Pied de Port. Las salidas sarán a las 14:00. En Semana Santa se pondrá en funcionamiento este servicio del 22/3 hasta el 7/4 y posteriormente se retomará su funcionamiento desde el 1/5 hasta el 1/11. El servicio se ha diseñado para poder atender al mayor número de viajeros posible, ya que enlaza con los autobuses que proceden tanto de Madrid y Soria (a primera hora de la mañana), de Barcelona y Zaragoza (en el primer servicio disponible), como los procedentes de San Sebastián.
ALSA may not show the schedule until May 1.

I was worried that might be out of date but the part you posted does have those dates mentioned above so I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Thanks!

Istvan_Pamplona said:
Hola Ed,

The bus company Conda is providing a bus route from Pamplona to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. It's a service intended for pilgrims.

The bus service operates:
From 22nd March until 7th April &
From 1st May until 11th November.

From 8th April until 30th April: does not run!!
From 12th November until 21st March: does not run

It leaves Pamplona (from the main bus station) at 14h every day.
Cost €15.
Tickets can be ordered from Conda's web page or can be bought at the main bus station of Pamplona.

More info: http://www.conda.es/eventos.php?tipo=3&id=438

Regards

István from Pamplona
http://www.caminoteca.com

Hope I'm not hijacking this question but if there is no bus between April 8 and 30, how does one get to Roncesvalles/SJPDP during that time? I have to get from Bilbao to Roncesvalles on April 16 and had planned on bus transportation. Any advice?

Karin

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Having looked at staying overnight in Bilbao and then heading out the next morning to Bayonne the pamplona bus Roncesvalles, taxi to st jean remains the best option.

since the bus does not run on a Sunday I will stay overnight at an albergue and then catch the first bus out on Monday morning.

the bus/trains time do not quite match up and I'd arrive at SJPP late Monday afternoon having set out on Sunday morning.

caroline has emailed to say - and I think this may be on another thread - she no longer runs a taxi service from Pamplona to SJPP.

Bilbao to SJPdP looks to be best accomplished by train.

Use the Renfe site to get from Bilbao to Irun/Hendaye

Spains train system
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

The train goes by way of Miranda de Ebro where you change trains.

At Irun/Hendaye you cross the border on foot because Spain and France have different railway gauges. Then you catch the train from Hendaye to Gare Bayonne and Gare Bayonne to SJPdP.

Frances train system
http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers

I've not done this and so do not know exactly how the crossing between Spain and France works.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Train from Pamplona to SJPdP

Spains train system

The train goes direct from Pamplona to Irun/Hendaye ... I checked 17 April and there are two trains that day.

At Irun/Hendaye you cross the border on foot because Spain and France have different railway gauges. Then you catch the train from Hendaye to Gare Bayonne and Gare Bayonne to SJPdP.

Frances train system

I've not done this and so do not know exactly how the crossing between Spain and France works.

Thank you for the links.

I've already checked them all and because its Sunday, and the arrival time of my flight into Bilbao, there is no combination of bus or train that works via Irun to SJpp on that day.

I have emailed Caroline to see if she can pick me up in Irun where I get in at 16.30.

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
Thank you for the links.

I've already checked them all and because its Sunday, and the arrival time of my flight into Bilbao, there is no combination of bus or train that works via Irun to SJpp on that day.

I have emailed Caroline to see if she can pick me up in Irun where I get in at 16.30.

I would recommend changing your flight. Ryan Air flies from Stansted to Biarritz.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My booked flight cost around 100€ and is from Manchester with Easyjet. It is a low cost, no frills, can't be refunded fare.

I looked to flying into Biaritz from London and then returning via Easyjet to Manchester.

I have flown numerous occasions from Stanstead but from where I now live it is an expensive and incovenient airport to get to, unless trains and buses are booked well in advance.

I am in this conundrum because a window of opportunity unexpectedly arose, but with severe time constraints upon it. ie, I am leaving the first day I can and returning on the last possible day. I am in BIG trouble if I am not on the return flight to Manchester.

I am trying to avoid losing two days with my inbound journey problems.

Logrono to Bilbao is a doddle and I am looking forward to a hassle free return home.

You may not be aware but in the UK our car fuel is heavilly laden with tax. Driving to Stanstead costs around £70 GBP return. It would cost not much more to get a 100€ taxi to St Jean. I am also on a tight budget because I am partly medically retired and a part time clergyman. Stipends in England are nowhere near what they are in the States and Canada. (Not complaining, it is just the way it is).

Thank you for thinking laterally but I had already looked at this option.

Bright ideas are still welcomed. :lol:

The bus company Conda has been providing a bus route from Pamplona to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port for more than one year, but there was only one bus per day at 14.00 PM. Because of the increased demand they introduced two new bus lines every day, so there are 3 buses from Pamplona to SJPdP daily (including sundays!!!). The buses leave Pamplona (from the main bus station) at:

8:00 (16/07 - 31/08)

14:00 (22/03 - 01/11)

17:30 (01/06 - 30/09)

It costs: 20 EUR

whariwharangi said:
Train from Pamplona to SJPdP

Spains train system

The train goes direct from Pamplona to Irun/Hendaye ... I checked 17 April and there are two trains that day.

Frances train system

Don't cross the border on foot. Euskatren runs every 30 minutes for 1 euro. Heck it runs all the way from Donostia/San Sebastian to Hendaye....but you can easily pick it up in Irun for the last 6 minutes

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The bus company Conda has been providing a bus route from Pamplona to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port for more than one year, but there was only one bus per day at 14.00 PM. Because of the increased demand they introduced two new bus lines every day, so there are 3 buses from Pamplona to SJPdP daily (including sundays!!!). The buses leave Pamplona (from the main bus station) at:

8:00 (16/07 - 31/08)

14:00 (22/03 - 01/11)

17:30 (01/06 - 30/09)

It costs: 20 EUR
Hi, How does one get from the train station to the bus station? Are they in the same building or close by? I was planning on catching the train from Madrid to Pamplona then a taxi to SJPDP but bus would be a cheaper option.

Istavan, on another note, I have sent 2 emails with questions on a bag and the Altus to caminoteca but have had no reply. As I am in Australia I can't ring. They were typed in English, should I translate the emails into Spanish before I send?

Thanks sriyantra

Hi, How does one get from the train station to the bus station? Are they in the same building or close by? I was planning on catching the train from Madrid to Pamplona then a taxi to SJPDP but bus would be a cheaper option.....
Thanks sriyantra

Sriyantra,

The train station is about 2 k from the bus station. Google maps suggests this walking route. Estimated time to walk is 38 minutes.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Sriyantra,

The train station is about 2 k from the bus station. Google maps suggests this walking route. Estimated time to walk from is 38 minutes.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Thank you Margaret. I will revisit the train timetable to see arrival time in Pamplona then add walking time to catch the bus. I have had 3 taxi quotes, all around the same price approx. E95-100 from Pamplona to SJPDP so the bus would be a cheaper option.
I am planning on booking our flights this week for September. Did a 20km training walk this morning. All systems go ! Thanks again Sonia

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sonia,

You might want to consider the handy transfer service from Pamplona to SJPdP offered by Pension Corazon Puro. They will meet your train, host you over night and drive you to either Roncesvalles or SJPdP next morning. I stayed with them last October on the way down from Roncesvalles. The twin bedded room was comfy, the dinner delicious, and the hosts most gracious.

MM

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...
Hi All, My next leg is from Los Arcos. I'm hoping to go back in Sept and as i will be solo this time and no one to shared transfer costs with im trying to figure out best routes for bus and train...
Ryanair have announced that after November they will no longer be flying to/from Bordeaux. Unfortunate for those heading for SJPDP as it is a useful alternative to Biarritz...
hello - Does anyone have a suggested app that i can both track my progress along the route and share real time location? i know how to share real time on google maps but. or route progress. thank you!
I’m going to be getting the Monbus from Lavacolla just outside Santiago airport to Samos on Tuesday Is it worth booking online or ok to pay cash on the bus? Any thoughts would be welcome. Pay on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back