• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

panicking today!!!

Bumblebee

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014
Hey everyone,
Im leaving for burgos to start my camino next wednesday, I had decided to not book any hostels, as I was hoping my camino experience would help me to "go with the flow" more, and learn to be more relaxed etc. But now im worried that I wont get a bed!
Also I packed my bag and its 15kg! Im gonna leave the sleeping bag at home and just take a silk liner. I have to bring a lot of medication so i think thats partly the cause, (15kg is wayyyy to heavy though).
I am going on my own and dont have any spanish.
Oh no why did I decide to do the camino!
WAAAAAAAAA!!!!! (retreats to corner and resumes the foetal position).
Ok Ive gotten all my fears and worries out in the open.
Please help! I need advice!
This forum is very helpful!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hey Bumblebee,
Take a few deep breaths, really deep and really slow. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and insight into your own challenges. You say you wanted to work on going with the flow on the Camino and it sounds like you're being confronted with it already. You're right about your backpack, that you need to try to drop some of the weight, but you're already aware of that and working on it. You don't know spanish, but you'll figure out how to communicate. You don't have a reservation, but you'll find a place to stay. You are going to have a fantastic time and wow are you going to be impressed with yourself and your ability to go with the flow. Buen Camino,
Pennie

Hey Bumblebee,
Take a few deep breaths, really deep and really slow. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and insight into your own challenges. You say you wanted to work on going with the flow on the Camino and it sounds like you're being confronted with it already. You're right about your backpack, that you need to try to drop some of the weight, but you're already aware of that and working on it. You don't know spanish, but you'll figure out how to communicate. You don't have a reservation, but you'll find a place to stay. You are going to have a fantastic time and wow are you going to be impressed with yourself and your ability to go with the flow. Buen Camino,
Pennie
Thank you so much Pennie for your advice!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Bumblebee,

You do not require any help or advice.
I always carry 15 - 16 kilo, I always leave my sleeping bag at home, I always take a silk liner, My Spanish is more than likely worse than yours.
You have booked the flight to Burgos. Go do your own thing not some other persons ideas, walk with the Camino spirit and enjoy.

Buen Camino .................Keith.

Last edited:
Hello Bumblebee,

You do not require any help or advice.
I always carry 15 - 16 kilo, I always leave my sleeping at home, I always take a silk liner, My Spanish is more than likely worse than yours.
You have booked the flight to Burgos. Go do your own thing not some other persons ideas, walk with the Camino spirit and enjoy.

Buen Camino .................Keith.
Thanks a million Keith,
Ive managed to get the pack down to 12kg.....
I feel much better having read yer comments, you are all very kind!

Welcome to this forum, bumblebee.
Yes, you definitely have to work on that backpack-weight, but you know that yourself. I hesitate to attach a pack list that I made after my camino last fall, because I certainly don't want to add to your anxiety, but attached it is. Compare it with your own list and even if you add some stuff, you should end up with half of the current weight. Also remember: you can always buy things on the way, if really, really necessary.
As for your trip next week, reeeelaaaax! You will have no problem finding a bed, besides that there are plenty of reasonably cost pensions, hostals and small hotels. I am sure that you got a list of places to go, if not, you'll find them on this site.
I don't know from where you will arrive from and at what time of the day, but why not planning in on spending 2 nights to get accustomed to Spanish air? Enjoy every minute of your Camino, I certainly envy you!
Buen Camino!

Attachments

• CAMINO Packing list.pdf
    91.6 KB · Views: 85
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Bumblebee, do think you should try to drop a couple of kilos of weight from your pack unless you've been carrying a similar weight in your pack on your training walks/hikes, you're in all likelihood substantially increasing your chances of blisters and sore shoulders/neck. Chill about the lack of Spanish, I survived for 4 weeks with about 40 words of Spanish, none of which I could pronounce properly :oops:. Would be amazed if you encountered any difficulties with getting a bed in an albergue this early in the year so don't fret on that score.

Relax, breathe deeply, walk when you feel like walking, stop when you feel like stopping and enjoy the adventure.

Buen camino

Seamus

Yes, you definitely have to work on that backpack-weight, but you know that yourself. I hesitate to attach a pack list that I made after my camino last fall, because I certainly don't want to add to your anxiety, but attached it is. Compare it with your own list and even if you add some stuff, you should end up with half of the current weight. Also remember: you can always buy things on the way, if really, really necessary.
As for your trip next week, reeeelaaaax! You will have no problem finding a bed, besides that there are plenty of reasonably cost pensions, hostals and small hotels. I am sure that you got a list of places to go, if not, you'll find them on this site.
I don't know from where you will arrive from and at what time of the day, but why not planning in on spending 2 nights to get accustomed to Spanish air? Enjoy every minute of your Camino, I certainly envy you!
Buen Camino!
Im going from Ireland, so if its going to be very warm I wont be used to the heat!!! Im planning on spending my first day sightseeing in Burgos, and I will ease myself into the camino. The list is great! thanks :)

Great
Hi Bumblebee, do think you should try to drop a couple of kilos of weight from your pack unless you've been carrying a similar weight in your pack on your training walks/hikes, you're in all likelihood substantially increasing your chances of blisters and sore shoulders/neck. Chill about the lack of Spanish, I survived for 4 weeks with about 40 words of Spanish, none of which I could pronounce properly :oops:. Would be amazed if you encountered any difficulties with getting a bed in an albergue this early in the year so don't fret on that score.

Relax, breathe deeply, walk when you feel like walking, stop when you feel like stopping and enjoy the adventure.

Buen camino

Seamus
Great advice Seamus, I definately have to work on the pack issue! thanks :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get yourself a Spanish-English-Spanish pocket parlour and learn some simple phrases.
Get the weight down. Some even cut off half the shaft of their toothbrushes to reduce weight! :D
Order a cheap hostel in Burgos if you are afraid of that first night. You find them here:
www.hostels.com

All will be fine.

Buen Camino!

You need to be ruthless in reducing your pack weight. In another thread you spoke of taking a hair dryer! On one camino I decided to take a few more comfort items, and my pack weighed 30 pounds on the airport scale. It nearly killed me, and I have done a lot of camping/backpacking with 35-40# packs. Within two days I mailed home an eight pound package. I am a six foot male, and that 22# pack was right at my limit.

Eliminate all the things that you "might" use; reduce the number of changes of clothes; plan on dressing in layers, so no heavy coat, no vest, no sweatshirt, no extra shoes, etc.

Hey everyone,
Im leaving for burgos to start my camino next wednesday, I had decided to not book any hostels, as I was hoping my camino experience would help me to "go with the flow" more, and learn to be more relaxed etc. But now im worried that I wont get a bed!
Also I packed my bag and its 15kg! Im gonna leave the sleeping bag at home and just take a silk liner. I have to bring a lot of medication so i think thats partly the cause, (15kg is wayyyy to heavy though).

Consider the stress your legs, ankles and feet will be going through - then consider reducing the stress by removing the weight. Every time you stumble, stagger or try to catch your balance the amount of weight you carry only exacerbates the stress on your lower body. I suggest you use walking sticks as it transfers the weight and stress away from your critical knee and ankle joints. The best way to ensure success is to reduce the weight and take preventative steps to avoid injury. My last rant is about blisters - sock liners and some sort of ointment on your feet like vaseline. I wish you the best of luck and enjoy the Spanish culture and countryside!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Fear causes us to load our backpacks with things we think we might need. The Camino passes through town after town. These towns have stores. Virtually everything you need can be bought in Spain. There is probably 5 or more kilos of fear in your backpack. Get rid of it. Start experiencing the magic of the Camino now.

Great

Great advice Seamus, I definately have to work on the pack issue! thanks :)
Bumblebee, I only have one hint for you. I have purchased these little zip lock bags that you will find in any pharmacy. You use a permanent marker and write the name of the drug (generic name) and when you take the med and what dose. Then put these in your regular properly labeled pharmacy bottles for the trip over. After taking the last plane ride when you are in Burgos throw away the bottles. Also bring a list of your meds if your doctor gives you one of those or take pictures of the labels and store in your phone/camera. I reduced my weight by 250 gms (more than 1/2#) doing this. Also I eliminated weight by putting soap in zip locks rather than containers ( I have soap - solid bars - for hair, conditioner, and moisturizer).
Enjoy, all will be well since you have taken the necessary step - asking for help - using that help which works for you.
Stefania

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Buen camino!

I would think about the sleeping bag twice; it is quite cold over here, you know... a silk liner will not be enough in my opinion. This said, do not fear anything, once you have spent a couple of days, you will easily go with the flow. As Stefania 13/14 suggests above, zip lock bags are BRILLIANT and they are not so noisy when you pack in the morning.

After a couple of days, you will be part of the Camino, enjoy!!!

I'M PANICKING TOO!!! I leave Monday for Madrid and my pack is still too heavy. Can someone tell me how cold it is?? I have a waterproof jacket and a light-weight jacket, I planned to layer them if it got too cold, but I could leave one or the other. Do I need a wool hat? Gloves? Every time I read a new list, I find things on it that I was not planning to take. Swiss army knife? Flashlight? I bought them based on a recommendation, but they are staying home, because they are too heavy. My clothes are: 1 merino t-shirt, one short sleeve camp shirt, one long-sleeve camp shirt (these are the light-weight, moisture-wicking, fishing style shirts); one pair of zip-off trouser/shorts; one pair rain paints, 2 pair smart wool socks, 2 pair silk sock liners. When I add the rest of the recommendations, I'm too heavy!! Quick-dry camp towel, silk liner, very light weight sleeping bag, soap (in a ziplock), deodorant, shampoo, toothbrush, travel size toothpaste, nail clippers, sunscreen, small roll toilet paper, small baggie of baby wipes, light-weight spork utensil, 4 clothes pins, sandals, sample-sized neosporin, benedryl, small tube of aquaphor, and a few band-aids; nail clippers, hairbrush, my prescription medications and glucometer, tiny camera, iPhone and chargers. I don't know where else to trim the weight.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get yourself a Spanish-English-Spanish pocket parlour and learn some simple phrases.
Get the weight down. Some even cut off half the shaft of their toothbrushes to reduce weight! :D
Order a cheap hostel in Burgos if you are afraid of that first night. You find them here:
www.hostels.com

All will be fine.

Buen Camino!
Cutting a toothbrush in half! Good idea! It does remind me of the episode of mr bean , where he's packing to go on holidays!!!!

You need to be ruthless in reducing your pack weight. In another thread you spoke of taking a hair dryer! On one camino I decided to take a few more comfort items, and my pack weighed 30 pounds on the airport scale. It nearly killed me, and I have done a lot of camping/backpacking with 35-40# packs. Within two days I mailed home an eight pound package. I am a six foot male, and that 22# pack was right at my limit.

Eliminate all the things that you "might" use; reduce the number of changes of clothes; plan on dressing in layers, so no heavy coat, no vest, no sweatshirt, no extra shoes, etc.
I won't be bringing a hair dryer! Or anything crazy! Haha

15kgs is quite a lot. I carried about 12kgs with water....have a think and see what you xan leave behind.....? Don't worry though as you walk you will see what you don't need and you can post those things to yourself in Santiago - the office will keep them there for you:) buen camino!

Cutting a toothbrush in half! Good idea! It does remind me of the episode of mr bean , where he's packing to go on holidays!!!!

Just make absolutely sure you throw away the half with the bristles it is heavier than the other half. And that's even sillier than the first idea.

Hey Ronnie, Sounds like you've done pretty well with your pack. Are you wearing some of the clothes you mentioned or are those beyond what you're wearing? If that is the case, you might be able to cut back there slightly. Also, some people use the same soap that they use for showering, for both shampoo and for laundry also. Do you think that some of the panic is just "cold feet" which is a normal part of recognizing what is coming up soon? How exciting that you're getting so close. Buen Camino! Pennie

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'M PANICKING TOO!!! I leave Monday for Madrid and my pack is still too heavy. Can someone tell me how cold it is?? I have a waterproof jacket and a light-weight jacket, I planned to layer them if it got too cold, but I could leave one or the other. Do I need a wool hat? Gloves? Every time I read a new list, I find things on it that I was not planning to take. Swiss army knife? Flashlight? I bought them based on a recommendation, but they are staying home, because they are too heavy. My clothes are: 1 merino t-shirt, one short sleeve camp shirt, one long-sleeve camp shirt (these are the light-weight, moisture-wicking, fishing style shirts); one pair of zip-off trouser/shorts; one pair rain paints, 2 pair smart wool socks, 2 pair silk sock liners. When I add the rest of the recommendations, I'm too heavy!! Quick-dry camp towel, silk liner, very light weight sleeping bag, soap (in a ziplock), deodorant, shampoo, toothbrush, travel size toothpaste, nail clippers, sunscreen, small roll toilet paper, small baggie of baby wipes, light-weight spork utensil, 4 clothes pins, sandals, sample-sized neosporin, benedryl, small tube of aquaphor, and a few band-aids; nail clippers, hairbrush, my prescription medications and glucometer, tiny camera, iPhone and chargers. I don't know where else to trim the weight.

A simple question why 2 x nailclippers..............one for fingers & one for toes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Start with everything you think you need , if after a few days you find it too heavy box the unused items and post them on to Ivor in Santiago.
But as you get fitter and happy with the pack weight.................
Walk on walk on
With hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk alone.
My son referring to my head and my feet always said to me " Dad up there for thinking, down there for dancing ".

I have total confidence in you, so no need too panic.....................Buen Camino........Keith.

Last edited:
Oh Keith!! Thank you for your kind reply!! (I even teared up just a little reading it.) I will do just that. One more question for all: I will be starting from Roncesvalles, I didn't want to walk very far on my first day - perhaps only 12 kg. Is there a place to stay within that distance? My book shows Zubiri at 22 kg. That might be a little too far for me. Can one get a taxi or bus from Espinal to places beyond? I didn't want to stop at only 6 km, but afraid I won't make it another 16 to Zubiri.

Ronnie, there's Gerendiain at 12 km. They have a hotel called Corazon Puro which costs 18E, and a hotel called La Posada Nueve which costs 35E. (These prices may have changed, and I have no personal expeience with either.) This information comes from my guidebook, the Dintaman and Landis.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you pbucilla for information! And thanks to Falcon I've checked the weather and found that it isn't as cold as I thought it would be. I'll leave the gloves, wool cap, and light jacket home. But rain jacket and rain pants look to be essential. <Deep breath in> I think I'll be ok.

.... I didn't want to stop at only 6 km, but afraid I won't make it another 16 to Zubiri.

Ronnie,

In Bizkarreta/Viscarret which is roughly 13 k from Roncesvalles try either
http://www.corazonpuro.es/ or http://www.laposadanueva.net/.

Also if the weather is bad with either fog, rain or deep mud walking down to Zubiri on the parallel N 135 road is much easier than following the camino path through the wood.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Oh Keith!! Thank you for your kind reply!! (I even teared up just a little reading it.) I will do just that. One more question for all: I will be starting from Roncesvalles, I didn't want to walk very far on my first day - perhaps only 12 kg. Is there a place to stay within that distance? My book shows Zubiri at 22 kg. That might be a little too far for me. Can one get a taxi or bus from Espinal to places beyond? I didn't want to stop at only 6 km, but afraid I won't make it another 16 to Zubiri.

Tissues at the ready...........set off from Roncevalles around 06.30 stopping for coffee & breakfast at the Bar Fronton in Burgette on your left in the square.
By now you will be walking with friends, time flies when you are having fun walking and talking on the Camino.
Last year I met a young lady ( well at my age they are all young ) as I was leaving Burgos, she was only going to walk 21 km that day. We walked we talked eventually we had covered 31 km, she was amazed at her achievement.
It is possible to get further than you had ever imagined, by simply taking one step at a time. Alas story of my life ,I will be on the Via de la Plata this year.
Now wipe your eyes and no more doubts..................just keep repeating...........Yes I can....Yes I can....Yes I can................................

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Fear causes us to load our backpacks with things we think we might need. The Camino passes through town after town. These towns have stores. Virtually everything you need can be bought in Spain. There is probably 5 or more kilos of fear in your backpack. Get rid of it. Start experiencing the magic of the Camino now.
Ditto! If you really, ruthlessly, cut your pack weight (buy lighter stuff, carry things that have dual use, and leave unnecessary stuff out) you should be able to achieve a pack weight of 7 - 8 kilos, including food and water. Good luck and Buen Camino.

Hey everyone,
Did the same last September and had also to bring a lot of medication. Try to get that weight down. As for a bed, dont worry. Round the back of the cathedral is the municial albergue. Its huge. At this time of year its only half opened as they dont need the two upper floors so you will get a bed ok. You will probably be ok without the sleeping bag as many albergues supply blankets, in fact, on my journey from Burgos to Santiago I could count on one hand the ones without blankets and still have a finger or two left over. I also went on my own and had only a couple of words. Did not finish on my own and in fact apart from while I was walking I was never on my own. I walk slow so most of the friends I made walked on and we met up later in the day. As one t shirt I seen read, 'on the Camino, you'll never walk alone'. If you are really worried about a bed by the way, do as an old Spanish peregrino told me. Start about 6 to 6:30, walk for 6 hours then stop in the next albergue you come to. If you are half way along what we came to call 'Brierly days' then you will get a bed ok as most folk are walking from and to the points Brierly specifies. To summarise, you will be OK, dont worry, enjoy and Buen Camino

Ronnie,

In Bizkarreta/Viscarret which is roughly 13 k from Roncesvalles try either
http://www.corazonpuro.es/ or http://www.laposadanueva.net/.

Also if the weather is bad with either fog, rain or deep mud walking down to Zubiri on the parallel N 135 road is much easier than following the camino path through the wood.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith
I am actually going to be staying at Corazon Puro on route to SJPDP, and to ease myself in the first week, I am going SJPDP to Orrisson to Roncesvalle to probably back to stay at Corazon Puro. I feel it is better for me to start slowly.

Kris

€83,-
Did the same last September and had also to bring a lot of medication. Try to get that weight down. As for a bed, dont worry. Round the back of the cathedral is the municial albergue. Its huge. At this time of year its only half opened as they dont need the two upper floors so you will get a bed ok. You will probably be ok without the sleeping bag as many albergues supply blankets, in fact, on my journey from Burgos to Santiago I could count on one hand the ones without blankets and still have a finger or two left over. I also went on my own and had only a couple of words. Did not finish on my own and in fact apart from while I was walking I was never on my own. I walk slow so most of the friends I made walked on and we met up later in the day. As one t shirt I seen read, 'on the Camino, you'll never walk alone'. If you are really worried about a bed by the way, do as an old Spanish peregrino told me. Start about 6 to 6:30, walk for 6 hours then stop in the next albergue you come to. If you are half way along what we came to call 'Brierly days' then you will get a bed ok as most folk are walking from and to the points Brierly specifies. To summarise, you will be OK, dont worry, enjoy and Buen Camino
Thank you, great idea about walking for 6 hours, Im not following a guide, so I don't mind where I stop. :)

I have the same type stuff but I am a guy so I have more weight. It looks as if it will be in the 70s the first 2 weeks but I am still bringing the fleece coat. I cut my towel in half but you have hair. Baby wipes? Great to have but can you get by with just water? I think guys have an easier time we don't care what we look like, smell like.. ok that part depends on who is around. I am starting to think my grandsons running stroller would be a great idea to haul the kitchen sink, but it would disapear if a local family had a need.
Keith

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Think you all are too worried about weight! Wonder how we managed to walk in Viet Nam carrying a 10 kilo M-60 Machinegun, 2 hand grenades, couple hundred rounds of ammo, 4 quarts of water, one claymore mine...plus canned food for several days. Our infantry walked the scout dogs into the ground and the dogs carried nothing.

Best thing I ever read about traveling light was from a French doctor ---take 2 kilos of sugar and a half kilo of salt and NEVER carry water, or clothes. That is all you need for two weeks.

Think you all are too worried about weight! Wonder how we managed to walk in Viet Nam carrying a 10 kilo M-60 Machinegun, 2 hand grenades, couple hundred rounds of ammo, 4 quarts of water, one claymore mine...plus canned food for several days. Our infantry walked the scout dogs into the ground and the dogs carried nothing.

Best thing I ever read about traveling light was from a French doctor ---take 2 kilos of sugar and a half kilo of salt and NEVER carry water, or clothes. That is all you need for two weeks.

Nothin like a nude nam vet running around w 2kilos of sugar & .5 kilo of salt to guess his age. :) But I am glad to hear from you to stop sniveling.

Don't. Buy a lightweight (20-30 grams) poncho that also cover your rucksack instead.
I agree. Rain pants I used for one camino and never again. I had thought they'd be better than ponchos. They weren't. They were just a pain all round. And too heavy. Two jackets is overkill. If you have a windproof jacket, you can layer other stuff under it.
Buen camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Think you all are too worried about weight! Wonder how we managed to walk in Viet Nam carrying a 10 kilo M-60 Machinegun, 2 hand grenades, couple hundred rounds of ammo, 4 quarts of water, one claymore mine...plus canned food for several days. .

Exactly. Young fit men carrying "for several days".

No comparison.

You forgot about the M16, the pistol at your hip, the helmet and the compulsory chewing gum :)

Thank you pbucilla for information! And thanks to Falcon I've checked the weather and found that it isn't as cold as I thought it would be. I'll leave the gloves, wool cap, and light jacket home. But rain jacket and rain pants look to be essential. <Deep breath in> I think I'll be ok.
Look at my profile picture. At this time of year it can still be chilly in the early morning especially at altitude. Bring an old wooly hat. You can always leave it in some albergue when you no longer need it

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree. Rain pants I used for one camino and never again. I had thought they'd be better than ponchos. They weren't. They were just a pain all round. And too heavy. Two jackets is overkill. If you have a windproof jacket, you can layer other stuff under it.
Buen camino.
Think my rain pants are in an albergue in Vianna :) and my poncho I gave away. It got to Santiago before me lol. Bought a cheap very light one later in Triacastela

I have the same type stuff but I am a guy so I have more weight. It looks as if it will be in the 70s the first 2 weeks but I am still bringing the fleece coat. I cut my towel in half but you have hair. Baby wipes? Great to have but can you get by with just water? I think guys have an easier time we don't care what we look like, smell like.. ok that part depends on who is around. I am starting to think my grandsons running stroller would be a great idea to haul the kitchen sink, but it would disapear if a local family had a need.
Keith

I actually considered an all-terrain stroller as well, LOL! My niece uses one for her toddler when she runs. That thing can roll over anything. However, I decided I would just be a laughing stock if I tried it. And, as you mentioned, it would not last long sitting outside an albergue.

Here is your challenge: Reduce the weight of your pack to max. 10% of your bodyweight, preferably even lower. Work on it. And no, a hair dryer is NOT a must in your backpack :D You will have to look just as wasted as the rest of us...;)
I am leaving tomorrow and I just got my convict haircut. Long hair, short hair, still ugly:). I went for convenience. The haircut and the new beard could reasonably be described as "wasted":).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Keith
I am planning on meeting Keith aka MTtoCamino along the way so I have considered not,packing anything I know he has:)! (Just kidding)..... Wonder how long that hair dryer would last on the free table? The heaviest thing I am carrying are my meds and my cpap....the cpap is my gift to those sharing a room with me. I need to leave (tomorrow!) because I want to put back in everything I already took out!

I solved the problem you referenced by putting it in the back of the CH-53 the Marine Corps issued me after flight school. There is a great deal of irony in the fact that 30+ years later I decided I LIKE to walk with a pack:).

How did u carry all that?! Respect! Just out of curiosity, did ye have to bring spare clothes or socks when ye were out in the field?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey everyone,

Hi Bumblebee - don't worry - its normal to be nervous, scared, excited and a whole other gamut of emotions... you will be fine... seriously... people are friendly along the way... happy and open to make new friends... a smile and a friendly attitude goes a long way on the camino and I think you will be fine... PS I didn't speak much Spanish at all either (and still don't) and many others are in the same boat.... alot of people (if not most) doing the camino speak english - trust me you are fine...

And yes your bag is waaaaay too heavy.... you should be aiming not to be carrying any more than 7kg in your bag (including the weight of the bag itself) as when you add water and some food it'll bring it over 8 to 8.5kg.... personally I find that anything above that becomes tiring to carry (well anything above 6kg is noticeable... ideally no more than 8kg incl food and water but it is hard to achieve that)... If it helps I can send you my packing list??? - I am going to do the Le Puy Route next week - you really should only bring the bare minimum and yes even then it can be challenging to keep the weight down (I'm finding it tricky myself)... Toiletries are the hidden heavies in backpacks... I use Lush solid shampoo called SeaNik - really lovely and it doesn't make your hair feel sticky... lighter alternatives than the regular liquid stuff lasts longer and makes all the difference. My packing list is not quite finished but it will give you an idea at least....

Ronnie your list sounds perfect! Maybe ditch the liner if you have a sleeping bag which will shave at least 150g off the total weight... What I found helpful to do was see if you can get lighter alternatives... like solid shampoo bars instead of liquid shampoo. Lush do a lovely one called SeaNik solid shampoo. Really nice. Just check the 5-star reviews here... https://www.lush.co.uk/products/seanik Also solid detergent soap like Dr Bonners Magic Soaps - use about half a bar as its 140g full size and you won't need all of it. http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/BARSOAP/OBAL05.html I used muslin as my travel towel (on recommendation here) and it was great- lightweight and dries quickly. I suggest you consider leaving the baby wipes at home as they are heavy. For medicines (non prescribed) such as antihistamines etc, consider just taking a few tablets rather than a full packet... same goes for toothpaste... its amazing how it all adds up to a few hundred grams in saved weight...

Its also amazing how walking 20km with a too-heavy pack focuses the mind on what is essential and what is not! ;) lol

Hope that helps!

Ronnie your list sounds perfect! Maybe ditch the liner if you have a sleeping bag which will shave at least 150g off the total weight... What I found helpful to do was see if you can get lighter alternatives... like solid shampoo bars instead of liquid shampoo. Lush do a lovely one called SeaNik solid shampoo. Really nice. Just check the 5-star reviews here... https://www.lush.co.uk/products/seanik Also solid detergent soap like Dr Bonners Magic Soaps - use about half a bar as its 140g full size and you won't need all of it. http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/BARSOAP/OBAL05.html I used muslin as my travel towel (on recommendation here) and it was great- lightweight and dries quickly. I suggest you consider leaving the baby wipes at home as they are heavy. For medicines (non prescribed) such as antihistamines etc, consider just taking a few tablets rather than a full packet... same goes for toothpaste... its amazing how it all adds up to a few hundred grams in saved weight...

Its also amazing how walking 20km with a too-heavy pack focuses the mind on what is essential and what is not! ;) lol

Hope that helps!
Thanks, Irishgkurrl! I already switched to a bar soap that I can use for hair, body, and laundry. Still considering whether to leave the rain jacket and rain pants at home. Otherwise, (besides the baby wipes) I don't think I have anything else I can ditch! Of course, as I walk I'm sure my opinion of "essential" will most likely change. Perhaps I'll get to see you in Santiago!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks, Irishgkurrl! I already switched to a bar soap that I can use for hair, body, and laundry. Still considering whether to leave the rain jacket and rain pants at home. Otherwise, (besides the baby wipes) I don't think I have anything else I can ditch! Of course, as I walk I'm sure my opinion of "essential" will most likely change. Perhaps I'll get to see you in Santiago!

I'm doing a different route this time (did the camino Frances in Sept-Oct 2012). This time I walk the Le Puy Route in France all the way to St Jean PdeP where I began my first camino :) I begin walking on April 15th!

Advice wise... I suggest you bring your rain jacket... it will keep you warm on cool mornings and if it rains dry and warm in downpours... What does your pack weight come to by the way... Anything in the region of 7kg is fine... You can always post stuff home if you find you have too much and can let go of certain things.. so all is not lost if you bring too much...

Buen camino :)

I'm doing a different route this time (did the camino Frances in Sept-Oct 2012). This time I walk the Le Puy Route in France all the way to St Jean PdeP where I began my first camino :) I begin walking on April 15th!

Advice wise... I suggest you bring your rain jacket... it will keep you warm on cool mornings and if it rains dry and warm in downpours... What does your pack weight come to by the way... Anything in the region of 7kg is fine... You can always post stuff home if you find you have too much and can let go of certain things.. so all is not lost if you bring too much...

Buen camino :)
My pack is at 8 kg. But it's more than 10% of my body weight. I'll just walk slowly and take it easy. I am so excited! Buen Camino!

Hi Bumblebee - don't worry - its normal to be nervous, scared, excited and a whole other gamut of emotions... you will be fine... seriously... people are friendly along the way... happy and open to make new friends... a smile and a friendly attitude goes a long way on the camino and I think you will be fine... PS I didn't speak much Spanish at all either (and still don't) and many others are in the same boat.... alot of people (if not most) doing the camino speak english - trust me you are fine...

And yes your bag is waaaaay too heavy.... you should be aiming not to be carrying any more than 7kg in your bag (including the weight of the bag itself) as when you add water and some food it'll bring it over 8 to 8.5kg.... personally I find that anything above that becomes tiring to carry (well anything above 6kg is noticeable... ideally no more than 8kg incl food and water but it is hard to achieve that)... If it helps I can send you my packing list??? - I am going to do the Le Puy Route next week - you really should only bring the bare minimum and yes even then it can be challenging to keep the weight down (I'm finding it tricky myself)... Toiletries are the hidden heavies in backpacks... I use Lush solid shampoo called SeaNik - really lovely and it doesn't make your hair feel sticky... lighter alternatives than the regular liquid stuff lasts longer and makes all the difference. My packing list is not quite finished but it will give you an idea at least....
Yes ur right about toiletries, they are the heaviest things in my pack. Yep I'd love to see the packing list, so I can compare it to what I'm bringing, thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes ur right about toiletries, they are the heaviest things in my pack. Yep I'd love to see the packing list, so I can compare it to what I'm bringing, thanks!
No problem - if you message me your email address I can email it to you? I don't want to share my email address on here :)

Ditch the baby wipes. They are heavy. If you feel you need a substitute take a tiny bottle of that magic alcohol gel stuff instead. I don't carry toilet paper, just a pocket pack of tissues in a pocket in case the bar toilet is out. I never, never, never leave toilet paper on the path.

Something is not adding up.....that list is pretty good, but the 12 kg seems high.

Are you adding in the weight of the clothes you will be wearing? I know they all count, weights quoted refer to the weight of the pack when they are not naked.

The iPhone can be a good flashlight and decent camera. The warm clothes do not need to be wind proof if you have a rain jacket.....and not all fleece is created equal either.

You can buy any of the toiletries on the way so be sure the containers are small.

My Keen sandals weigh about 5x what a pair of Crocs weigh in at.

Is your pack a monster?

anyone have other ideas where all that weight comes from?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Something is not adding up.....that list is pretty good, but the 12 kg seems high.

Are you adding in the weight of the clothes you will be wearing? I know they all count, weights quoted refer to the weight of the pack when they are not naked.

The iPhone can be a good flashlight and decent camera. The warm clothes do not need to be wind proof if you have a rain jacket.....and not all fleece is created equal either.

You can buy any of the toiletries on the way so be sure the containers are small.

My Keen sandals weigh about 5x what a pair of Crocs weigh in at.

Is your pack a monster?

anyone have other ideas where all that weight comes from?

Newfydog - its not Ronnie's backpack that's 12kg its someone else.... Ronnie's is a fairly respectable 8kg...

Hi Bumblebee - I sent you my packing list here - check your inbox :) It's copied and pasted so hopefully you can follow it!

Think you all are too worried about weight! Wonder how we managed to walk in Viet Nam carrying a 10 kilo M-60 Machinegun, 2 hand grenades, couple hundred rounds of ammo, 4 quarts of water, one claymore mine...plus canned food for several days.Best thing I ever read about traveling light was from a French doctor ---take 2 kilos of sugar and a half kilo of salt and NEVER carry water, or clothes. That is all you need for two weeks.
Jeez. Peace, man. You are on the Camino now, Try to fill your thoughts with a completely different mindset. We are only into a battle with oneself here.

We have heard Spanish is helpful, but not a requirement. As for the weight of the backpack, you could always utilize a porter service and have your bag forwarded to your next stop. Travel light with a daypack and relax - the camino will provide. Good Luck and Blessings.

Don't. Buy a lightweight (20-30 grams) poncho that also cover your rucksack instead.
A lightweight [20-30grams] poncho? I'm wondering how it would perform under very wet & windy conditions. I have visions of me up on Bald Hill behind our small town trying to put a very cheap and lightweight poncho over myself and my pack. Hilarious. The sort of thing one sees on YouTube. Once the poncho was 'on' [trying not to fall over with laughter] I headed down the hill. Talk about 'wind tunnel'. Impossible to move forward and the material swirled and lifted even though I tied the poncho at waist level with 2 shoelaces tied together. [No, not from the shoes I had on, that would have been inviting disaster!] Within less than a minute, after another wrestling match, the poncho was off then the folding up process began. I'm sure you get the picture...

Question: are the much recommended Altus ponchos better adapted to windy conditions? And any idea of what a medium one would weigh? I can't get that information from the STJPdP website. At this point I have pants & jacket and pack cover but am considering a poncho, other than my light, white one which is the 'take flight' one but not the right one.

Last edited:
Hi, they weigh around 300g. No idea what is 'best' ... I took the poncho as I do the camino in the Summer and actually needed it both times. If it rains heavily you still get wet but it does keep your rucksack and all your gear dry without the need for a raincover. Parts of your body that do get wet soon dry off! I had no probs putting it on and off even on my own but it does make you look like the hunch-back of Notre -Dame lol
My husband walked in April/May and took both the rain jacket/rainproof trousers combination AND the poncho and at times had to use them together but then he had horrible (to me!) weather inc. snow.
Whatever you choose, buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, they weigh around 300g. No idea what is 'best' ... I took the poncho as I do the camino in the Summer and actually needed it both times. If it rains heavily you still get wet but it does keep your rucksack and all your gear dry without the need for a raincover. Parts of your body that do get wet soon dry off! I had no probs putting it on and off even on my own but it does make you look like the hunch-back of Notre -Dame lol
My husband walked in April/May and took both the rain jacket/rainproof trousers combination AND the poncho and at times had to use them together but then he had horrible (to me!) weather inc. snow.
Whatever you choose, buen camino!

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. I will start with pants/rain jacket and purchase a poncho in St Jean. April 21st is the starting day so perhaps your husband's example will suit me. As I'm planning to take as long as it takes, there may well be times when one or the other option is more appropriate. The pack cover could be handy, for example,when it's light rain and I'm in the city area, especially before and after the Camino. My pack is 6.5 kg with water so the extra 300gram maybe okay.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is allowed or not but there is also a shop in Pamplona that sells them....Depending on the weather forecast, (enquire at StJean) you could maybe save yourself the extra weight for that first day up the Pyrenees...

Ah, yes...something else I've always wanted to ask. Does anyone have experience of carrying a small light bag at the front? Whilst training I added a silk carry bag containing snacks, an extra 350ml water and small bits and pieces that allowed me to access stuff without taking off the pack. I tie the bag around the front waist straps so that there is weight both under and over the strap. I was surprised to find that rather than weighing me down, I felt more 'balanced'. I've noticed in photos that some folk carry camera equipment and/or valuables at the front. Is the weight of this front pack added to the overall weight when stating 'my pack weighs...', or does it somehow, magically just sit there without becoming a burden?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't know if this is allowed or not but there is also a shop in Pamplona that sells them....Depending on the weather forecast, (enquire at StJean) you could maybe save yourself the extra weight for that first day up the Pyrenees...
Super idea. When I checked the weather for the first two days or so, it appears to be fine.

book your bed if you can, with wifi and cell service everywhere it would be crazy not to, you'll just end up walking further when you don't want to or paying more.

15 kilos is a lot, unless most of it is your medication. you might want to reconsider what you are carrying as you will have, for example, access to well-stocked pharmacies every day. Some pilgrims tend to carry too much water with them. It's not going to be hot and there are bars every 5-7 kilometres... you really should be able to do it with less than 10 kilos.

Ah, yes...something else I've always wanted to ask. Does anyone have experience of carrying a small light bag at the front?

I was surprised to find that rather than weighing me down, I felt more 'balanced'. I've noticed in photos that some folk carry camera equipment and/or valuables at the front. Is the weight of this front pack added to the overall weight when stating 'my pack weighs...', or does it somehow, magically just sit there without becoming a burden?

I use an Aarn Featherlite Freedom pack that is specifically designed with two Balance Packs on the front. I've tried lots of other packs but nothing beats my Aarn for comfort. Small dense stuff like water, camera etc goes in the front and it is also very convenient for wallet, credential, maps etc. Website here
http://www.aarnpacks.com/#!featherlite-freedom/c1cfl

And of course there is always Jacotrans on those days you need to lighten your load and just walk with a day pack;)

My pack is down to 10 kg! I can't get it any lighter!

Don't worry anymore. Relax and go. Pamplona is only 4 days into your trip and you can post anything you not using from there.

If you really really want to lighten up - lol - start squeezing half the contents out of any tubes, cutting soap in half, chopping off the straps on your pack, jettisoning any packing liners or cubes. Are you carrying stuff you can buy on the way?
If you are carrying medication get a letter from your doctor listing your medications with their technical names (to show to customs authorities, pharmacies and doctors). Throw out all packaging and think about renewing meds in Spain instead of taking them.

But I think sleep might be more important at this stage.

Pack what ever you want. Most people take something comfortable /important. Back when the Zapitistas were acting up, I was on a bus in Chiapas that was stopped by the Mexican Army. They made every passenger empty their bags/backpacks on the ground to check for weapons being smuggled into Chiapas. Thought it was funny that almost every young female backpacker had stuffed a Teddy Bear into her pack. On the other hand last November I accompanied a young Brit as he shopped in Guatemala for supplies to take on the 5 day walk into the jungle to see Miradore. Against my advice he only bought 2 rolls of toilet paper and one flashlight for his 5 day jungle hike. Left his backpack at our hostel, while he went for his hike.

Is the weight of this front pack added to the overall weight when stating 'my pack weighs...', or does it somehow, magically just sit there without becoming a burden?
Weight is weight, so yes it counts. But, how you wear that weight counts different. Our walking mechanics work best when we walk upright. A backpack shifts our center of gravity backwards, and so we have to lean forward to compensate, and that puts stress on our normal posture, joints, etc. Over time, we build up strength and adapt to the forward lean.

If I am 20 kg overweight, that "fat suit" is reasonably balanced on my body, which means my mechanics work essentially unchanged and I could easily walk 30K.

If I magically lost that 20 kg overnight and put on a 20 kg backpack the next day, my center of gravity would change and there would be greater stress on my body as I walked the 30K.

If that night I went out and got a system where I could balance the weight (half in front, half in back), my center of gravity would have minimal to no deflection, my mechanics would be fairly close to normal, and I would walk the 30K with only nominally more physical stress than I originally did with my fat suit. However, if hanging the weight on front and back evenly reduces stress on my walking mechanics, it risks increasing stress on my shoulders because I may not have as effective a weight transference to my hips.

10% of body weight is a good rule of thumb because it should keep deflection on your center of gravity minimized. Keeping your pack weight under 7 kg is a good rule of thumb for the same reason, and less is better, provided you have what you truly need. Losing excess personal weight is also good for many many reasons. But, if you're fit, and you're used to carrying more, no one says you have to carry less. Through-hikers on the Appalachian Trail and other long distance trails do it all the time; although, they too are just as religious (if we can use that term) about keeping their weight down as well. After all, long-distance wear and tear, even on a fit body, is still wear and tear.

Last edited:
A lightweight [20-30grams] poncho? I'm wondering how it would perform under very wet & windy conditions.

It worked perfect on VdlP in wind, rain and snow

I think it is the 20-30 grams which is in doubt. That would be one thin poncho! A single plastic bag is 20 grams. The lightest poncho I know of, the zpack Cuben fiber solo is 144 gms (and $155). The sea to summit nano, made of gossamer thin silicone coated nylon weighs 250 gms.

Last edited:
Since I mentioned Zpacks above, I'll throw this out for your entertainment......The founder of zpacks carried 2.8 kg for a 3000 km backpacking trip in NZ! Obviously expensive and a bit obsessive, but it shows what can be done. I have that pack and rainjacket. I'll report back on how they work.

http://www.zpacks.com/

Item NameWeight
Comments
Packing System:

2012 model 52L Arc Blast Backpack13.5 oz
Pair of Shoulder Pouches.6 oz
Pair of Belt Pouches1.5 oz
Cuben Pack Liner1.5 oz
(17.1oz)
We are expecting to have to swim across a few rivers, something we never had to do on our other long hikes. It also rains alot in NZ. All our gear will be in dry bags, inside a pack liner.
Sleeping Gear:
20*F Twin Size, Long Length Quilt with Large Rectangle Dry Bag29.7 oz
(14.8 oz each)
Short Length NeoAir Sleeping Pad10.0 oz
(24.8 oz)
We will be sharing a 20F Twin size quilt. That will be 14.8 oz each.
Shelter:
ZPacks Hexamid Twin Tent12.6 oz
8 x 6" titanium Stakes w/ stake sack1.7 oz
Twin size Cuben Fiber Groundsheet w/ clips4.7 oz
19.0 oz
(9.5 oz each)

We will share a Hexamid Twin tent and Cuben Fiber groundsheet. Total shelter weight with lines, stuff sack etc is 19 oz shared between the two of us. 9.5 ounces each.
Cooking / Food Gear:
.9L Evernew pot w/ aluminum lid, stuff sack3.1 oz
2x Titanium short handle spoons.5 oz
Half light load towel for drying dishes.3 oz
Mini-bic Lighter.4 oz
Home made red bull alcohol stove.1 oz
8 oz Fuel Bottle (poland springs water bottle).5 oz
Roll Top Blast Food bags 1.4 oz ea2.8 oz
7.7 oz
(3.8 oz each)

All of our food / cooking gear will be shared. We will be cooking with denatured alcohol. Sold as Heet gas line antifreeze in the US. Sold in grocery stores as 'Methylated Spirits' for cleaning in NZ.
Water Storage:
1 Quart Powerade bottle1.5 oz
1 Quart Powerade bottle1.5 oz
2L Platypus bottle1.3 oz
Water Treatment - None for Joe, Sheryl will be using a Sawyer water filter with an inline adaptor for her Platypus.0 oz
(4.3 oz)
I normally don't treat any water. Sheryl will be trying out a Sawyer Squeeze water filter (3.5 oz) on any questionable water. In the past she has used Aquamira.
Clothing Carried:
Med WPB Cuben Fiber Rain Jacket4.5 oz
Med WPB Cuben Fiber Rain Pants2.9 oz
Homemade Nylon Wind Shirt2.4 oz
Homemade synthetic Insulated Jacket8.9 oz
MicroFleece Hat.8 oz
WPB Cuben Mitts.8 oz
Pillow Dry Bag1.7 oz
(25.2 oz)
Worn Clothing (not included in base weight):

Columbia Silver Ridge II Zip off pants10.2 oz
C9 / Champion breathable long sleeve shirt w/ collar and cuffs for sun protection7.3 oz
Wigwam Ultamax Triathlete low cut socks.9 oz
Patagonia boxers3.5 oz
Homemade Chinese style Pointy Hat2.4 oz
Teva Grecko Sandals23 oz
Home Made 60" Carbon Fiber Walking Stick8.5 oz
(55.8 oz)
All of my clothes can be worn at the same time when it is very cold. It is all synthetic and dries quickly.

My layering system goes: Breathable long sleeve shirt > Nylon wind shirt > Insulated jacket > Rain Jacket.

I don't carry any "spare" clothes. I can wear my rain suit on laundry day.
Misc Items:
Pentax W60 Waterproof Camera5 oz
Spare camera battery.5 oz
Battery Charger w/ NZ plug2.5 oz
Pak-Lite flashlight w/ home made headband.1.5 oz
Wenger Esquire Pocket Knife.7 oz
Silva Compass / Thermometer.5 oz
ZPacks Travel Toothbrush.3 oz
Tooth paste tube.8 oz
Half light load towel (for nose blowing).3 oz
Credit card, license, cash, cuben wallet pouch.3 oz
50ft 1.75mm Z-line cord .9 oz
4x mini-d carabiners.4 oz
Mechanical pencil + paper for notes.2 oz
Chap Stick.3 oz
Ear Plugs.01 oz
Sunglasses .8 oz
(13.7 oz)
Most of these items are stored in the shoulder and belt pouches on my pack, or clipped to my shoulder straps.

We will both be using Pentax W60 waterproof Cameras with 4 shared batteries and charger w/ a NZ outlet adapter..
Gear Repair / First Aid:
5x Strips of Cuben Repair Tape 1.0 oz
6x Large safety pins.1 oz
Sewing Needles / Dental Floss thread .1 oz
Super Glue .3 oz
Ibuprofin .1 oz
(1.6 oz)
Cuben Fiber tape strips can repair punctures or tears in any of our gear, and may also be useful for bandages. Super glue can be used for gear repair or maybe as a makeshift suture.

I carry a handful of Ibuprofin for emergencies.
Maps/Track Notes:
Te Araroa printable Map Set?? oz
Te Araroa Track Notes?? oz
Michael Pullar's South island Handbook?? oz
The maps and track notes can be downloaded from the official Te Araroa website. www.teararoa.org.nz
Total Base Weight:99.6 ounces
= ~6 lbs, 4 ounces (2.8 kg)

Last edited:
I normally don't treat any water.
Off topic, but I'm curious where you typically hike where you can drink surface water w/o filtration or purification. I know there's a lot of debate on the need for any form of treatment of water once far enough away from civilization. My personal preference is the Sawyer inline that Sheryl is taking.
I don't carry any "spare" clothes. I can wear my rain suit on laundry day.
As I recall, all my cuben fibre is translucent. Is your laundry day out in the woods, or in town???:rolleyes:

More seriously, I'm comfortable with the entire gear list, except for the first aid kit. I had a bad infection after a nasty scrape because I didn't have what I needed to treat it properly in the field (it cut short my trip and resulted in a two week course of antibiotics). I'd opt for a 5ml or 10ml mini bottle of bactine or similar, a very small tube of Neosporin, and some surface dressings. All very lightweight, but (IMO) prudent. Also, with a cotton ball, Neosporin makes a great fire bug as part of a survival kit. And, using Superglue for sutures works well.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
normally don't treat any water.

Neither do I ...and I'm an engineer who works on issues dealing with drinking water and wastewater. Still share mud puddles with my dog while hunting--lot of little squidgy things in front of your eyes when your nose is touching the water in a mud puddle . When traveling, always assume you will be running for your life when leaving wherever you are and you should be acclimated to the local water prior to taking that run.

Buen Camino!
Pano, where is that packing list? I'd love to see a post-camino list. Suzanne

I was just stuck trying to trim my weight but I just did. I lost all the containers that aren't needed to actually keep things together (ie my sleeping bag). I was also planning to take my camera, iphone (for music only), and tablet (for blogging) plus all the charge cords. I've scrapped all of it except the iphone, which is now my camera and blogging tool - I'm still not turning on the data/cell service though. I'm also bringing a multi-use soap (from a camping store). It's shampoo, conditioner, dish detergent, and clothes detergent in one. I'm probably going to throw in some liquid band-aid, but I figure most over-the-counter pharmacy things I can pick up as I go if needed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also bringing quick-drying pants/shorts (they zip), so I'm not bringing any rain pants.

I don't know - just some ideas. My pack is down to 13.8 lbs sans water/food. Once I add some bug spray and ear plugs (all I have left to buy), I'll still be around 14.

€83,-
Wow! Good job. Mine is still 18 lbs. I'll figure out what essential really means soon!! I'm in Frankfurt now, next stop - Madrid.

Hi Ronnie,
Good on you, its your backpack and you sound very happy at 18 lbs. There are far too many opinions on the theme of pack weights here, that it just totally confuses me let alone the newbies.
Weights range from 2.8 kg ( base weight ) to 15 kg. Quite what constitutes " base weight " beats me, and some suggestions don't even include water.
The weight of the pack should be the amount it weighs on your back as you set off " walking " on your camino.
As this it is a personal choice nobody can tell you let alone suggest it is too heavy, unless they offer to carry it for you. Now that is a practical solution
Good on you.......................You sound sooooooooooooooo excited I'm sure you could crush a grape.

Hey everyone,

take the sleeping back and take only 1 long trouser, 2 T-shirts, raincoat , 2 pair of walking socks and let all the books at home. 15 kg will definitly not be fun. i had managed to take 7 kg for 2,5 weeks - my backpack had 32liter - so no more space for unnessesarly stuff :) good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Ronnie,
Good on you, its your backpack and you sound very happy at 18 lbs. There are far too many opinions on the theme of pack weights here, that it just totally confuses me let alone the newbies.
Weights range from 2.8 kg ( base weight ) to 15 kg. Quite what constitutes " base weight " beats me, and some suggestions don't even include water.
The weight of the pack should be the amount it weighs on your back as you set off " walking " on your camino.
As this it is a personal choice nobody can tell you let alone suggest it is too heavy, unless they offer to carry it for you. Now that is a practical solution
Good on you.......................You sound sooooooooooooooo excited I'm sure you could crush a grape.
Good point! A truer way to list, or know, the weight of your gear is to weigh everything and list it as "from skin out". My gear, with 5 oz of food and 2 liters of water, is 9 kilos (19.8 lbs.) from skin out; 7.1 k (15.5 lbs.) carried.

Good point! A truer way to list, or know, the weight of your gear is to weigh everything and list it as "from skin out". My gear, with 5 oz of food and 2 liters of water, is 9 kilos (19.8 lbs.) from skin out; 7.1 k (15.5 lbs.) carried.

Hello all about to panic,

I don't know about waterproof clothing but look at the size of his pack.............................is this what you mean by " skin out "
article-2543309-1ADAA82500000578-279_634x465.jpg

I had to do a check of my poncho, and you were right: It is NOT 30 gr., but ca. 250 gr., but top quality! And it is a very important piece at any season. Don't leave home without it. On the other hand: Today I went to a sports shop and bought a lightweight, hightech microfibre towel, 40x80 cm., superfast drying: 58 grams incl. its container! Will test it after tonight's shower. And it takes almost NO space in my pack: like a couple of matchboxes! So my ordinary towel at 280 gr. is not coming with me!

IMG_0082[1].JPG

Last edited:
Domigee! Were in Pamplona can I find The poncho?!

I think there's a difference between "panic" and "obsess"! We all have obsessed about the total weight before we left. After you start walking your body (wait a couple of days!) will let you know how well you obsessed without panicking!

I might be a bit late, but still here my input:

Put that sleeping bag back into your backpack - unless you plan to stay only in private (heated/blankets) refugios and hostales - you will need it this time of the year.
Leave the liner at home, no need for it during such a short pilgrimage.
Go with the flow, main pilgrim season (Easter - September/October) has not started yet - so no reason to panic for a bed. There are refugios every few miles / kilometers...
15 or even 12kg is too much - Ask yourself with each item "What would really happen if it don't take this with me?
Medication - Do you really need them for health reasons (prescriptions) or are they 'just in case' - if the later - ditch them - there are pharmacies in nearly every village that are well used to cater to pilgrims' needs.
Spanish - The people that live alongside the Camino are well-used to pilgrims with little to no Spanish, put a smile on your face and do a bit t of pantomime and all will be fine plus there will be other pilgrims around to translate in case of a real emergency.
Alone - you will not be alone, there are other pilgrims just like you on the way ;-)

Buen - worry-free - Camino! SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When I first started I flew to Bilba0, spent a couple of days, left some "clearly this is too much" items at my hotel to pick up on my return home, and took the bus to Pamplona. While I waited for the bus to Roncesvalles I spent my time writing post cards and squeezing extra sun lotion down the drain to lighten my pack. Every post card said pretty much the same thing "How in the world did I ever think I could do this?!!!" I survived. :) :cool:

You will figure it out!

Tissues at the ready...........set off from Roncevalles around 06.30 stopping for coffee & breakfast at the Bar Fronton in Burgette on your left in the square.
By now you will be walking with friends, time flies when you are having fun walking and talking on the Camino.
Last year I met a young lady ( well at my age they are all young ) as I was leaving Burgos, she was only going to walk 21 km that day. We walked we talked eventually we had covered 31 km, she was amazed at her achievement.
It is possible to get further than you had ever imagined, by simply taking one step at a time. Alas story of my life ,I will be on the Via de la Plata this year.
Now wipe your eyes and no more doubts..................just keep repeating...........Yes I can....Yes I can....Yes I can................................
My husband is with you on not obsessing so much about pack weight..

I've been following this thread with interest. I 'm a big girl at 170 pounds...that could make my pack 17 pounds. I want to take no phone , but an ipad mini for blog and skype, a camera, and a little keyboard as I'm lousy at typing on touchscreen . Also minimal sketchbook and a few pens. I'm an artist/writer so I know I would really use and enjoy these things. Am I asking for permission? Well, maybe. I am going for 6 weeks and walking slowly. Those little electronics really do take up a lot of weight. One question.... hiking June 5-July 15, do I need a lightweight fleece jacket? I have a long-sleeved shirt and light wind shell. I am taking a synthetic Marmot Nanowave 55 bag rather than a down one.

€83,-

you should consider hiking in the Crimea ......... I imagine you will run into a lot of guys carrying the same gear as you :)

Ditch the baby wipes. They are heavy. If you feel you need a substitute take a tiny bottle of that magic alcohol gel stuff instead. I don't carry toilet paper, just a pocket pack of tissues in a pocket in case the bar toilet is out. I never, never, never leave toilet paper on the path.
Kanga, can one buy these pocket packs locally? Just for emergency! My plan is that, I pass a town with facilities, I will use them. I figure that on the Camino Frances, I should hit a town more than every 3 or 4 hrs.
Kris

I've been following this thread with interest. I 'm a big girl at 170 pounds...that could make my pack 17 pounds. I want to take no phone , but an ipad mini for blog and skype, a camera, and a little keyboard as I'm lousy at typing on touchscreen . Also minimal sketchbook and a few pens. I'm an artist/writer so I know I would really use and enjoy these things. Am I asking for permission? Well, maybe. I am going for 6 weeks and walking slowly. Those little electronics really do take up a lot of weight. One question.... hiking June 5-July 15, do I need a lightweight fleece jacket? I have a long-sleeved shirt and light wind shell. I am taking a synthetic Marmot Nanowave 55 bag rather than a down one.
Hi Suzanne, I am walking around the same time...I am going to bring a ltwt fleece jacket. I am, however, not bringing a sleeping bag, but a liner and a blanket.
Kris

Kanga, can one buy these pocket packs locally? Just for emergency! My plan is that, I pass a town with facilities, I will use them. I figure that on the Camino Frances, I should hit a town more than every 3 or 4 hrs.
Kris

Yes, the tissues in pocket packs are everywhere. And yes, you will pass a bar (bar=cafe) every few hours, the bars all have facilities (but often no toilet paper).

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.