• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Partially unplugging from the world

falconbrother

Time of past OR future Camino
June - July 2024
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Set yourself a specific regime? Gadgets on for a particular time and purpose then off for the rest of the time perhaps. Set some ground rules with those who may need to contact you - text messages rather than instant messaging? To be read and responded to when appropriate rather than immediately. Text rather than voice (at least for the initial contact)? Your biggest problem may be managing the expectations of others rather than your own need for connection.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey
Absolutely no need to be. Disconnect the whole day and switch on, from say to 5pm to 6pm every evening, just to check that the rest of the world hasn't been nuked in the meantime, and to check any messages, reply to any that need replying to, and switch off again. That's what I do. I just can't walk a camino "connected".

Absolutely no need to be. Disconnect the whole day and switch on, from say to 5pm to 6pm every evening, just to check that the rest of the world hasn't been nuked in the meantime, and to check any messages, reply to any that need replying to, and switch off again. That's what I do. I just can't walk a camino "connected".
Though I like to be connected, I agree with above…1 hr max and think early evening is a good time and given you are from USA should work well time difference wise.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can set my phone to be do not disturb except calls from certain numbers. That could work.
For example: my parents. Mom is always calling in the middle of the night because she does not remember the time zone difference.
I do the same, only my son can reach me. Normally, that's 22.00/ 7.30 daily. On Camino my phone is on 'do not disturb' 24/7. It doesn't stop me using the phone should I wish to, but it stops the world bugging me.

I spent years travelling where I would be out of contact for weeks, sometimes even months at a time, my friends and family survived and nobody else really matters.

If a World event is going to affect where I am, I'll get to hear about it.

I spent years travelling where I would be out of contact for weeks, sometimes even months at a time, my friends and family survived and nobody else really matters.
Me too. I walked my first Camino without a mobile phone or internet access. Just two or three landline calls home from payphones along the way. But people have become very accustomed to live instant connections these days. Once that becomes a routine part of your life it can be difficult to break that pattern. Especially if other people are making demands on your time.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Coincidentally I have always been thinking about this topic this last couple of days - how to unplug when I start my Camino later this month. I am rather addicted to my phone and social media, not helping that I work in IT and am in front of the screen the whole time. I know for many people, you can just switched off your phone, or put to airplane mode, however, its a rather big jump in the big sea of being unplug, hence its a rather daunting thought to me. However i started to think if I have list down a more detailed steps, it will definitely help reduce the anxiety for me and that i have a 'plan' to do this social media detox, and unplug from the world for awhile -

1) Work Emails and Team chat - total log out! (this one is the easiest! )
2) FB/IG - check in an hour max per day, limiting the scrolling and reading other people's post. More focusing on posting some pictures so my family knows I am still alive (my mother follows me on my social media).
3) WhatsApp - archive all contacts, except those of my partner, my mother and my family. And I don't plan to read the messages that are outside of these people
4) GMail - i have 3 accounts. Only check my main account once a day, and log out of the other two (mostly for social events, ads etc).
5) LinkedIn - total log out
6) WeChat - total log out
7) FaceBook Messenger - total log out
8) Duolingo - only do 1 lesson per day (so as not to lose my 'streak'), but switch to Spanish (originally am using it to learn Dutch).
9) Supermarket apps - oh, I am on 3 or 4 of them. to total log out as well, as I might want to scroll.
10) Online shops like Amazon, Ochama, Temu etc - total log out as well

By listing down all these, then only I realised how app-'connected' I am, and it was shocking to say the least. But, fingers crossed that with this 'plan', I can then focus on my Camino and enjoy it to the fullest without the distractions!

i have a 'plan' to do this social media detox, and unplug from the world for awhile -
Well done!
I'm filled with compassion when I see your list (not being facetious...). And it's a reality check for me, clearly of another generation. Of your 10 items, I only have 2½ (whatsapp is a new acquisition, hardly used on purpose).
So I put an away message on my one email account, and just ignore the signal and whatsapp.

You have much more to unhook from. Respect. 🙏

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Haha... thanks! strangely enough, I hardly have to think about the more 'traditional' functions of a phone, ie phone calls or SMS - as I hardly receive them hence didnt think I need to switch off my phone or is there a need to mute them. But as I am from the EU, and there is no roaming fee whatsoever and I have a pretty good 25GB data plan, I am connected with or without wifi 24/7 to apps and social media. I could also totally disconnect by switching off the data roaming, but then I wouldnt be able to check the maps etc, hence its still something am debating. Thought having this plan will help too - to remind myself what I set out 'not to do' in case I can't sleep at night and feel the urge to surf/scroll.. ;)
Well done!
I'm filled with compassion when I see your list (not being facetious...). And it's a reality check for me, clearly of another generation. Of your 10 items, I only have 2½ (whatsapp is a new acquisition, hardly used on purpose).
So I put an away message on my one email account, and just ignore the signal and whatsapp.

You have much more to unhook from. Respect. 🙏

I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Remove communication apps and email accounts that you don't need from the phone.

Advise anybody who may need to get in touch with you of your "emergency" email address.

I get a little update weekly on my phone usage habits. Helps me know when to dial it back...

I get another report on how active or sedentary I am each week and there seems to be an inverse relationship between my phone usage and my activity levels!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Coincidentally I have always been thinking about this topic this last couple of days - how to unplug when I start my Camino later this month. I am rather addicted to my phone and social media, not helping that I work in IT and am in front of the screen the whole time. I know for many people, you can just switched off your phone, or put to airplane mode, however, its a rather big jump in the big sea of being unplug, hence its a rather daunting thought to me. However i started to think if I have list down a more detailed steps, it will definitely help reduce the anxiety for me and that i have a 'plan' to do this social media detox, and unplug from the world for awhile -

2) FB/IG - check in an hour max per day, limiting the scrolling and reading other people's post. More focusing on posting some pictures so my family knows I am still alive (my mother follows me on my social media).
3) WhatsApp - archive all contacts, except those of my partner, my mother and my family. And I don't plan to read the messages that are outside of these people
4) GMail - i have 3 accounts. Only check my main account once a day, and log out of the other two (mostly for social events, ads etc).
8) Duolingo - only do 1 lesson per day (so as not to lose my 'streak'), but switch to Spanish (originally am using it to learn Dutch).
9) Supermarket apps - oh, I am on 3 or 4 of them. to total log out as well, as I might want to scroll.

By listing down all these, then only I realised how app-'connected' I am, and it was shocking to say the least. But, fingers crossed that with this 'plan', I can then focus on my Camino and enjoy it to the fullest without the distractions!
I blogged at the end of each day, and I love my photos which I'd post the odd few on my Instagram story when I stopped for a bit through the day. The photos would also then go on the end of day blog post(on FB for family and friends who wished to follow). Even the blog was stretching my time resources some days as chatting and sharing beers and meals with fellow pilgrims was far more inviting - and actually trying to write after several beers/vinos never tended to end well for me, although did amuse those on my FB. And, everyday I would worry about what I'd put on my blog in the evening, but I always found I had too much by the end of the day such was the magic and beauty of everything and everyone around me.

Anyway, the point is (eventually), that what I found was my social media was basically limited to the above, as was pretty much all other electronic forms of communication etc. I didn't have time for the pointless scrolling which I get sucked in to at home far too much - which makes sense because this is often down to boredom (self inflicted boredom in most our cases).

I hope @SoozKH your Camino is as wondrously un-boring as mine that you have no time or inclination for scrolling.

The first 14 days I set my smartphone to flightmode while walking, excepting the GPS to track my path.
The most interesting POIs on the CF I had saved on maps and loaded the map to my phone.

The first contact to my family was in the patio of S. Nicolas Albergue in Hospital de Obrigo, my brother called, after he saw me coming online via WA.

After that the contacts became more regular, even my (now former) wife called me a few times.

Possibly cheeky of me to say so but you may want to use your walk and detox as a catalyst to review your social media accounts, who you have apps for, even unsubscribing from the constant emails.

I don’t have LinkedIn, FB, X, WeChat, and I think I am fairly across what’s going on. The important stuff anyway. That doesn’t mean I am not on my phone too much, but it helps! In fact being always on the road, I largely switch off from the media and what a relief is it, esp. as much of today’s news is culture wars related!

I am happy to stay connected as most of the stuff I receive probably has a value!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I could also totally disconnect by switching off the data roaming, but then I wouldnt be able to check the maps
I have a very good map app (OSMand) that works offline. I read the map manually (without GPS) so don't even need to have the phone's location turned on. If you want the GPS, just turn your notifications off...

I kept my phone on all the time with data on but notifications off. I have a few apps active: whatsapp, gmail, gmaps and gphoto for my digital snaps.

I chose to be almost completely unplugged in order to allow things to enter during the quiet. This meant that my phone was on airplane mode all day so I could still take pictures. I had arranged with my wife that I would call her using WhatsApp once per day and, that we agreed we would not speak about current events. Just update on each other's lives and the day's walk on the Camino. I chose not to log into any social media(facebook, instagram, etc.) and my closest friends and family knew not to expect anything from me until I was finished with my Camino Frances.
Needless to say, I am retired and so, no need to remain connected to anything work related.
One last detail, my Mother passed away on the 3rd day of my pilgrimage. I had spent time with her the month before and she and my family knew that once I started the Camino, I would not return until completed. Of course, I spoke with my wife and family regarding her passing and the funeral arrangements but again, I was able to mourn her passing in the best possible way; walking, praying and laughing & crying on the Camino...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow, this is as debatable a topic as what brand gear to take. One more opinion, and really a combo of the many posts below. This was our strategy for 2 Caminos. I told work, I am off the net. Period. I only used wifi at end of the day to post photos and a short narrative at end of each day. One way communication. I did listen to a very few topical books: Don Quixote (why not, lol), medieval history which helped me connect with the area, spirtuality...CS Lewis. But 90% unplugged. And no news, period. I did want to detox from this world's problems...they would still be there when I got back. My time walking was a time to meet new friends, self reflect and soak up everything you can see and experience at 2mph. It's what led me to a second Camino and a third planned this fall! All different routes. BL, make unplug your default. Buen Camino!

What I did during my caminos, I only used my gizmos as safety and security devices. Prior to my walk I advised family and friends that I will contact them at the end of the day, time permitting, and/or unless something drastic happened. It is amazing how liberating, envigorating, and refreshing to hear just your foot steps, sounds of the winds and fields, and maybe, occasional "Buen Camino" but not phone notifications or ring tones in the middle of long stretches in the meseta or in the serenity of vineyards or wheatfields. Buen Camino.

Last edited:
that we agreed we would not speak about current events

And no news, period. I did want to detox from this world's problems...they would still be there when I got back.

Yes! This was one of the amazing things about my Camino, I knew virtually nothing of what was going on in the world (which is generally bad anyway) for my whole Camino. This had a massive influence on my well-being to not be constantly bombarded with bad news.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’ve also been thinking lately about my addiction to screens, having picked up on a recent theme of people reverting to mobile telephones as opposed to mobile computers. Is this practical, when you read about the daily race to secure a bed, and online pre-booking is king? I think it is, but perhaps less so if you’re going to do one of the most popular routes/trips and be competing with thousands of others who definitely will remain plugged in. Maybe part of the trick is to pick a route that lends itself to detox.

I’ve also been thinking lately about my addiction to screens,

My phone is a tool. That's all. How I use it is my problem - I won't say 'my choice' because the way phones are programmed is to get one addicted.
I am from a pre internet generation - possibly even before a phone at home generation. We didn't have one till I was about 8 years old.
So ... I love that I can do all online things on my phone - booking accommodation - internet searches - banking - reading Camino guides - email and so much more. Fabulous and like magic.
What I don't love is my addiction to the device. I have been much more intentional about my relationship with my phone over the past months.
Last Camino I journalled every day on FindPenguins and found that incredibly useful at that time and also later. This Camino I hope to journal again but will also not judge or beat myself up if I get sucked into an audio book from time to time.

I'm with @Rita Flower on this, my phone is a tool. At home I use it far too much, however on Camino I tend to be far more intentional with its usage.

So yes, @KevinWilcox , disconnection is still practical whilst on Camino. I'll use it anytime I feel it's necessary - to book accommodation for example - but otherwise it's about making the conscious choice to put it away. Just like putting down the receiver on the old fashioned phones, for me once it's put away it's disconnected.

And whilst I use my phone in the evenings to research, to write on the forum, or to contact people occasionally (a birthday message for example), that's just using it as a tool. Much as I would have used a guidebook, a landline, or written a postcard in days gone by.

The key is to avoid the temptation to check on the daily news, to catch up on your emails and so forth. (some excellent suggestions above as to how to do that).

But in this, as in everything else, as @Stumbledore said above: this is very individual.

I sincerely thank @falconbrother for raising it. It's important to reflect on one's life choices occasionally.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
On the Camino I usually wake up early, so will spend some time on my phone if I'm not in a hurry. I keep it in airplane mode while walking except when needing to give a host my arrival time. Only end of the day in bed do I check messages and write-up my daily report. I do not use my phone when in bars/restaurants.

Funnily enough, depending on whether you like making connections with fellow pilgrims on Caminos, WhatsApp does come in useful for contacting each other to meet up for dinner, alerting others if an albergue is full etc.

I use my phone to post daily on FindPenguins, but I happily put myself in a No News bubble

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One more to add to many opinions/stories above.
I used airplane mode when I walked. My Buen Camino and FindPenguins aps track offline and were "there" when I needed them.
Everyone at work knew where I was and what I was doing and nobody bothered me (and even if they did chances were slim to none that I would respond)
Every night while already in my bunk I would sum up the day's events actually uploading the FindPenguins photos and making comments- it was relaxing for me and I was excited to share the day with my followers
I initiated couple of calls to my wife and spent perhaps 4 video chat sessions with my Mom who was and still is not in the best of health and needed reassurance that I was still alive and kicking on my Sahara/Gobi/Kilimanjaro/Mt.Everest adventure (no matter how much I tried to convince her that I'm in the middle of a modern civilized European country she just wouldn't have it)
And I did use WhatsApp to contact albergues
So as couple of folks stated above it was more of a tool than anything else

This just appeared on a Facebook group that I follow. Seems the author feels that walking a pilgrimage without a smartphone is such an extraordinary radical concept that it deserves an exclamation mark.... :cool:

View attachment 169339

I bought my first mobile phone for my first June /July Camino in 2007 - text and talk only - more as a safety measure than anything else. I used it mainly to text other pilgrims. You didn’t have to book ahead so I had no need to make local phone calls etc. I rang my Mum in Australia twice from a public phone.
Fast forward 2024 walking Via Podiensis at the end of May - only a young wild camper might walk that route phone free. 😂😂😂

I had a GPS tracking device with satellite SMS. People who knew about it could go online and find out where I was—if I gave them the password. I could send SMS or e-mail and receive them from people to whom I had told the phone number. It also had an “SOS” button which supposedly would get emergency response anywhere in the world. But no web-surfing or social media or gaming.

had a GPS tracking device with satellite SMS.
Like a Garmin inreach mini? Would never have thought of taking it on Camino but what an excellent idea. Weather, maps, connectivity but no Media - brilliant!

A friend of mine unfortunately had occasion to use the SOS function (backwoods hiking) - worked superbly.

Most read last week in this forum

Is it possible to take a shower in the morning at an albergue if they run out of hot water in the evening?
Dumb as it might seem, it's only recently sunk in that a good deal of some camino routes might be on vehicular roads rather than walking trails. I don't really mean the town and village-y bit...
Hi all, I have access to data on arrivals of pilgrims to Santiago by day, country, age, gender, departure point, route, reason and means used. Based on this data, I am analysing it to develop a...
Im planning a November Frances Camino. I have an Altus rain coat that covers me and pack nicely but I’m wondering do I get a backpack cover and wear a hooded shell light jacket over heavier...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
Hi everyone! I'm planning to start on the Camino de Francés, then from Léon I will walk the Camino San Salvador, then the Camino Primitivo and maybe if I have time the Camino de Fisterra. My...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back