• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrimage post abdominal surgery?

ksam

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Francigena...2024
Ok, so here's the deal. Had kidney surgery two weeks ago. Now I know it's way way way too early to even be thinking about hiking, but, still the wheels are spinning already. (after all, ain't a whole lot else I can do right now!)

My surgery was "open" as opposed to laproscopic and as a result there is about a 7+ inch scar healing nicely on the right at the waist. The very thought of my pack resting there right now is just horrific. I know this gets better but am wondering if anyone out there has ever had anything similar...and how did you fare?? How long before all the muscles shared their part of the load?? That is currently what is tiring me out so much. The muscles that must compensate are getting very tired!

So, in fact, I'm off for a brief nap...been upright for hours now and it's getting old.

Gracias, Karin

PS...just realized...maybe some other women who had c-sections??? any and all advice is appreciated.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Karen,

Don't have any advice... just wanted to give you a hug and wish you all the best. Take care of yourself, the camino will always be here... :)

Saludos,
Ivar

Karin,
Major surgery resulting in large scars affect each of us differently. In 1999 I had a liver transplant, which resulted in a rather long scar from right side to left side following the bottom rib to the sternum and then down the left side. It took quite some time before I felt everything meshed. The quality of the meshing depends on how well your doctors did the sewing of muscles. After a year I could easily do everything I did prior to my operation and I began to feel really good at about four months. Understand that I was very ill prior to surgery and that would necessarily affect my recovery. To this day I still have a pain resulting from the surgery on the right side, but it goes and comes. It seems to have more to do with my posture and putting a particular type of strain on my right side.

I would not fear have a pack rest on the scar; your body will heal well and that type of pressure the body will deal with easily. However, it is in twisting your torso or putting the mended muscles in unusually positions that might cause a slight discomfort. Talk with your doctor and let him/her know of your concern. I am sure they will set you and ease and provide some counsel.

The better health you had prior to surgery greatly reduces your recovery time and long term health. You will achieve what you seek to do.

God bless,

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ivar, thank you!

Michael, thank you too! Considering I was the donor end...I was and technically am, in the pink of good health..so ok, that means I'm being impatient again..DUH! So then it sounds like all the scar stuff will get less touchy...cause now as things are meshing they are very sensitive. I will persevere...after the appropriate time. I promised, almost on the Bible (LOL) not to do anything at all except walk around, for 4 more weeks. May start wall climbing by then!! :)

Ok..guess I'm off to practice the interior part of the journey!

Gracias, and Buen Camino, Karin

On behalf of all of us who have received organs, I say thank you and God bless you. I can think of few gifts that are as great as giving life to another. It is Christ-like in its beauty.

For those of us who live because another died for us thus enabling them to give a life-giving organ, our appreciation is very deep. We understand that someone gave up the hope of a miracle and allowed their loved one to be taken off of machines that were keeping them alive. I live because that man died for me. How Christ like is that? I am grateful his family chose to allow their tragedy to produce life for others. I pray that each organ donor and their families will earn a greater mansion in heaven for their chose to aid others.

That sharp pain will quickly disappear and you will be strengthen to walk any path you choose. May the wind always be at your back and the light of Christ surround you with each step.

Karin -

You and your giving heart puts you in a very special group of people who give life to others. May your life be filled with many more caminos.

Hugs,

lynne

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Dear Karin, your generosity is immense and if you are healthy to start with and the surgery went well, you should recover well. The scar should not hurt once healed properly and you will probably be able to find a pack that does not push directly on the area. Once you have recovered, start training little by little. Fluid intake and avoiding dehydration will be particularly important during your walks. Perhaps start by walking in cooler weather, for now though follow medical instructions for aftercare. There is always a time in life to train oneself to become more patient! Love, Gitti

To all of you who've sent replies thus far thank you! Lynne, Michael & Gitti, thanks, you made it hard to type thru the weepy eyeballs! :) I'm just glad I was able to answer yes when the opportunity presented itself. Grateful I had the good health to share, and was found to be a match for someone. Now I guess I need to eventually see if my old pack and I are a match and take it one step at a time. Guess this is my next biggest lesson. Patience. Grrrrrrr :roll:

Buen Camino all, Karin

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
After all the waiting on the Camino, you probably have more patience than you think! Hope to hear from you on a Camino in the future.

Most read last week in this forum

I wasn’t sure where to post this so mods feel free to move it. This year I’ve had more than one person in my group complain because the pork they ordered was “raw” and they have sent it back to...
[Moderators, feel free to move this if I posted in the wrong place.] What does it take to be able to walk a Camino after a heart problem? I guess I will see for myself. Tomorrow morning I am...
Promised to take my daughter with me when doing the GSB on the Swiss/Italian border. She has been doing a lot of walking in preparation but now has terrible blisters. Searching the threads here...
I am about three weeks out on the Norte averaging close to 30 to 35 kms and at this point aside from blisters, I haven’t had a lot of physical issues. I have one week left with a flight booked...
There's always somebody posting about dropping out, or taking a break because they're injured, myself included. There seems to have been a few more than usual just lately, although perhaps that's...
I've just returned from the San Salvador/Primitivo and have got Giardia from drinking untreated Water. I filled a bottle in Tineo as the Bar owner said it was good water/better than his Tap. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.