• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrims from Australia and the wonderful New Zealand

dreaming

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, LE PUY
Hi. Just wondering how many caminos people have done in Europe with the additional costs and time coming from Australia and New Zealand? I am up to 3 and a bit. After just returning from CF, it is highly addictive.
Are there any walks you recommend closer to home?
Thanks in advance.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just wanted to say hi - I'm from New Zealand and doing my first Camino in April 2024 (CF). I'm up to over $4K just on airfares. No accom or other expenses so far. If you want to tell me more about your CF experience I'm always open to hearing.

Gosh it is such a long way to fly for us! I have a sleep in Dubai, and one in St Jean PDP, but I'm debating whether to add in another night somewhere. I'm not 20 anymore!

Edited to say I'm doing the Milford Track in February. Soooo lucky to get in! Took 3 hours of screen refreshing to get a booking. It is my Camino entree! Can let you know what how it goes.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi. Just wondering how many caminos people have done in Europe with the additional costs and time coming from Australia and New Zealand? I am up to 3 and a bit. After just returning from CF, it is highly addictive.
Thanks in advance.
There's loads of excellent hiking close to home, but nothing in the same category that I'm aware of. Hiking wise some at home (or, for that matter, in Aus - although it's about 30 years since I last hiked in Australia!) are superior however I can't think of any long distance trails that have the infrastructure. Which means carrying camping gear, food, etc. That pretty much doubles my pack weight.
On Camino I carry a 32 litre backpack with around 7 kg, including a couple of comfort items. My pack for 'backwoods' hiking is 65 liters and I typically carried around 12 to 15 kgs depending on how long before I could resupply. (Although newer gear is more lightweight, so I could probably improve somewhat on that). Not only that but my footwear changed to proper hiking boots regardless of the weather.

The other things I love about the Camino:

-Social aspect - something very new to me! I often used to hike solo for days on end, and only occasionally come across other hiker's. Although that's changed over the years as hiking has become more popular.
- No real climbs. A few steep ascents certainly, but never anything that's had me on all fours.
- the ability to literally step in out of the rain.
-Hot showers at the end of every day
- a bed at the end of every day.
- no need to set up /breakdown my tent
- the ability to wash and (normally) dry my clothing at the end of every day = Fresh clean clothing every morning!!
-The ability to stop for a coffee at an open bar or café
- access to fresh bread, fruit and/or vegetables practically daily
-no need to carry a full medical kit, the next pharmacy is only ever a few hours (a day at most)away.
- no need to carry/use your PBL in order to access medical assistance.
- the knowledge that I can post any excess items home; or buy something new if I have a gear failure or realise I need something else.
- the cultural aspects
- the architecture
- the history!!
- I'd better stop, I'm kinda off topic..... 😉

Just wanted to say hi - I'm from New Zealand and doing my first Camino in April 2024 (CF). I'm up to over $4K just on airfares. No accom or other expenses so far. If you want to tell me more about your CF experience I'm always open to hearing.

Gosh it is such a long way to fly for us! I have a sleep in Dubai, and one in St Jean PDP, but I'm debating whether to add in another night somewhere. I'm not 20 anymore!
Do you fly into Madrid or Paris?
Great places to have another night / rest day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Never a bad idea to add an extra day upon arrival, I’ve fortunately never suffered from jet lag but my wife always did. The return home is nowhere near as bad. Overnight in whatever European city you’re landing in.

But exercise is a great cure!( swim whilst you’re in Dubai, it’ll really help).
The Camino IS exercising - perhaps just make that first day really short ( from memory you’re planning the Frances, so book Orisson). And take it slow!!!

Three caminos and counting, can't stop thinking about walking number four.
The cost is enourmous, but worth it, as said above.

As for trails in Australia, I started walking the Aussie Camino (Portland-Penola) in 2021, but fell sick on day 2 and had to go back home. It seemed a nice route, although very tough and with minimal places to stop or get food.

Some people in the forum have also walked the Camino Salvado, in WA. I`m quite interested in that one, and may go for it some time when I can`t afford going to Europe, but have enough funds/time to fly to Perth.

I am currently walking the GC from Paradise Point in a southerly direction and using buses to reconnect to where I left off the day before but this is just a bit of fun and not a planned walk. Also, while there are a lot more people (it seems to be Schoolies week 😕) there is much less comradery.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In the USA we have gorgeous national parks with lovely trails, but they are only good for day hikes, unless you plan to camp; bringing a tent and food. In addition, some of those long hikes must be planned far in advance and issued by "permit" only as they had become too crowded over the years.
We have no good overnight lodging/infrastructure, even in our lesser known parks.

As for trails in Australia, I started walking the Aussie Camino (Portland-Penola) in 2021, but fell sick on day 2 and had to go back home. It seemed a nice route, although very tough and with minimal places to stop or get food.

Some people in the forum have also walked the Camino Salvado, in WA. I`m quite interested in that one, and may go for it some time when I can`t afford going to Europe, but have enough funds/time to fly to Perth.
There is also the Way of St James, Cygnet in Tasmania that has a similar religious motivation that is run annually. Camino Salvado is run as an organised activity run twice a year in August and September. It might be possible to craft an independent walk with the right support.

So the Aussie Camino is probably the only 'Camino' oriented multi-day walk that can be walked at any time of year

There are many other multi-day walks in almost every state. I have done short parts of the Bicentennial Trail and the Australian Alps trail - these are close to my home in the ACT.
In the USA we have gorgeous national parks with lovely trails, but they are only good for day hikes,
This seems a bit remote from Australia and Aotearoa/New Zeialand, the subject of this thread, to be really relevant, nice as these walks might be.

And in response to the OPs other question, I have done pilgrimage walks in Spain, Portugal, Norway, Sweden and England. I count 11 over the years in six trips from Australia.

This seems a bit remote from Australia and Aotearoa/New Zeialand, the subject of this thread, to be really relevant, nice as these walks might be.

And in response to the OPs other question, I have done pilgrimage walks in Spain, Portugal, Norway, Sweden and England.
Sorry, @dougfitz, I got a bit carried away reading and forgot the thread was exclusively about Aussies and Kiwis.🙄
My post was communicating why we also flock to Camino paths from far away, same as you peeps; many of us for a combination of religious and the plethora of generous, welcoming infrastructure.

I have done other pilgrimage walks in Spain, Portugal, France and Italy.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
There are the Great Walks of NZ, the Milford Track the most famous of these. Peg and I walked that in 2016 and Peg says that was the best walk, hike or backpacking trip she has ever done. During the warm season the Department of Conservation allows 40 independent walkers and 50 in tour groups to start per day. It is a four day hike but the tours may include several days in nearby areas too. The independent walkers get huts, bunks, stoves and fuel each night, sort of an albergue in the mountains. Bring a sleeping bag and cooking/eating gear. Those in the tours have separate huts but from my look at them they are more like hotels with restaurants. You don't need to carry much for these. The tours cost something like $2,000 each. The three nights in the huts cost us about $120 (US) each but there were extra (optional) transportation costs that were easily booked at the same time. Quite reasonable.

Edit: Here's the tour agency, Ultimate Hike's video for the Milford Track. They show the fancy huts but the same track is hiked by all.

Last edited:
Off on our third Camino in April, Porto central (coast to Vila do Conde) with a finale SdC to Muxia & Finisterre. Our home State is South Australia which has the famous Hysen Trail, 2,500 ks from the coast to the Flinders Ranges. Have done small sections. Apart from the few Camino related trails in Aus. there is now a growing national network of Rail Trails being unused rail corridors developed into shared bike/hike trails varying from half day to 100's of ks. There is now a website 'Australian Rail Trails' that lists them all.
Happy Hiking and Buen Camino.

Off on our third Camino in April, Porto central (coast to Vila do Conde) with a finale SdC to Muxia & Finisterre. Our home State is South Australia which has the famous Hysen Trail, 2,500 ks from the coast to the Flinders Ranges. Have done small sections. Apart from the few Camino related trails in Aus. there is now a growing national network of Rail Trails being unused rail corridors developed into shared bike/hike trails varying from half day to 100's of ks. There is now a website 'Australian Rail Trails' that lists them all.
Den, how’s the infrastructure on the Hysen trail? And the rail trail’s?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Maybe not sure exactly what folks are looking for, but I did the 80km Bondi to Manly walk late last year and it was absolutely fantastic and the best way to ‘see Sydney’. I must admit that up until that walk I was wondering what all the ‘fuss was about Sydney’ but that walk changed mind. You can stay in the city and just go back to your starting point each day so no need to carry anything. At the end of the day you can invariably catch a boat back to the centre which is a nice climax.

We happened to get an invite to go to Australia 6 months after we went on our CF. We went to NZ before meeting our Aussie hosts. In NZ we learned about day hiking and multiple day hike in the Queen Charlotte Sounds / Tōtaranui. We took the mailboat from Picton and noticed hikers with poles and packs getting picked up to return to Picton. Had we known, we would’ve fit that hike into our touristy trip! Sadly, our Camino gear was home in California. That said, I recall hearing the whole track is around 70 km. It’s beautiful there. Buen Camino

Thanks in advance.
Hi from Taranaki, 6 camino’s so far and we just bought new boots to head back 2024!
Addicted!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Den, how’s the infrastructure on the Hysen trail? And the rail trail’s?
Hi Peter. Hysen Trail is a mix of everything with big sections through farmers paddocks(with steps set up over fences), road walking and outback bush and scrub. It goes through our rural town and we once stopped and had a chat with a young bloke mid 20's
hiking the total trail, very unusual. Had 30kgs on his back with camping gear and pots and pans.
Rail Trails are nearly all compact gravel or tarmac and are close to towns and services. A lot of govt money is granted as the trails promote lots of tourism. Here is a link
https://www.railtrails.org.au/ lots of YouTube clips on Heyson as well.
Cheers.

Thanks in advance.
Fifth Camino done this summer. And because we’re here in NZ it seemed to take us much longer to return to Europe after covid. I remember reading all the posts of folks who just kept on walking and travelling…and wondered if we’d ever get to the place of being able to travel again. But, it did happen! We felt so grateful to be walking again.
I don’t think we have anything that can truly resemble a Camino - but the Abel Tasman might deliver a ‘sort of’ Camino-esque experience. It’s short, but beautiful. The Otago rail trail would be another - some folks do walk it even though it’s primarily a cycle route.
Yes, camino’s are addictive. Partly because of the time - a month or more of living simply is the best thing ever to do. And planning camino’s comes a close second ☺️ - thinking about ‘where next’ keeps the dream alive.

I walked the Portuguese Camino this September. My flight was the most expensive part but all up I thought $5000 was pretty reasonable for a 4 week trip to Europe! I have every intention of doing it again.
The Heysen Trail is 1,200km (not 2,500) and is beautiful but very isolated in many parts. I believe Walking SA is looking at re-routing parts so that it does go through towns. But I don’t think anything compares to the infrastructure along the Camino. The Lavender Trail is a relatively new trail in SA from Murray Bridge to Clare and is similar to the Heysen. The Adelaide 100 trail, while still not 100% complete, is possibly the closest to a Camino type experience as it passes through/close to towns and through the city of Adelaide. I would love to do the full Manly-Bondi walk, have walked Coogee to Bondi and it’s beautiful.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@DenWhite , appreciate the link. I'd mainly wondered about the accommodation options, I see they're clearly mentioned. Looks like campground cabins are a pretty good bet in many places.
I've walked part of the Otago rail trail (mentioned by @Susie S above), a pleasant walk but definitely not a Camino. Just like walks along the old railway lines in England I personally found it just a tiny bit flat.... . I think the Otago rail trail only increases by around 400 m from its lowest to its highest point. It's something like 150 odd kilometres. A very beautiful part of New Zealand though.
We walked back in 2013 shortly after it was officially established, very little infrastructure at all back then. Had to hitchhike back to the car each day because there was nothing in the way of public transport and often nowhere to stay - although we did find a couple of places. I think even now you pretty much need to be self-sufficient ( food and water) for the day for most legs. And carry a torch for the tunnels! It's predominantly a cycle trail - although a fair number of hikers also do it - and if you're a cyclist you can easily rent a bike, get shuttles to and fro etc. I believe it's made a major difference to the several tiny villagers and towns along the route, much like the Camino in Spain. Although far fewer visitors of course!

Considering trip #3 for 2025 at the moment (Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo). Our new EBA gives me 8 weeks annual leave and I also have long service up my sleeve.
I love the planning and trying to learn Spanish. The airfares are not cheap and to date I have flown to Barcelona via Singapore and flown home via Paris or London.
We have been doing a lot of travel post Covid and while the exchange rate tends not to be in our favour, the costs in Spain are low compared to everywhere else. No offense to the UK but I would rather be in a heatwave in Spain than experience the non-summer we got this year.

With regards to easily accessible hiking trails in New Zealand we've got quite a number of relatively short ones. Both the Milford track & Able Tasman are mentioned above, Tongariro crossing, Routeburn and Lake Waikaremoana - which used to be one of our great walks but deteriorated so badly that it is sadly now closed. There are many, many more, ranging from two days to a week or two.
But all of these are proper hikes. Which means pre-booking (on a permit basis) the appropriate Hut/s along the way, possibly even carrying a tent, and carrying all of your own food with you - plus ideally a water filter or boiling your water for the day. The huts very greatly in comfort levels - some almost 'resort' level with practically everything provided and have a warden, others are very basic and you need to ensure you're carrying everything you need to cook. Although like with everything in this commercial age you can often join a tour..... . But not on all of them, thank goodness !
You can forget about getting a cafe con leche - other than the trail heads, most are many kilometres from the nearest road let alone any infrastructure!
They're absolutely beautiful......

The one that I really, really want to walk when I get back home is the Te Araroa - walking the length of New Zealand. (3,000 kms). An acquaintance of mine has walked the triple crown (CDT, PCT, AT) and said that the Te Araroa was very comparable ( harder than the PCT but easier than the CDT).

I might have to wait until I retire..... !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There's loads of excellent hiking close to home, but nothing in the same category that I'm aware of. Hiking wise some at home (or, for that matter, in Aus - although it's about 30 years since I last hiked in Australia!) are superior however I can't think of any long distance trails that have the infrastructure. Which means carrying camping gear, food, etc. That pretty much doubles my pack weight.
On Camino I carry a 32 litre backpack with around 7 kg, including a couple of comfort items. My pack for 'backwoods' hiking is 65 liters and I typically carried around 12 to 15 kgs depending on how long before I could resupply. (Although newer gear is more lightweight, so I could probably improve somewhat on that). Not only that but my footwear changed to proper hiking boots regardless of the weather.

The other things I love about the Camino:

-Social aspect - something very new to me! I often used to hike solo for days on end, and only occasionally come across other hiker's. Although that's changed over the years as hiking has become more popular.
- No real climbs. A few steep ascents certainly, but never anything that's had me on all fours.
- the ability to literally step in out of the rain.
-Hot showers at the end of every day
- a bed at the end of every day.
- no need to set up /breakdown my tent
- the ability to wash and (normally) dry my clothing at the end of every day = Fresh clean clothing every morning!!
-The ability to stop for a coffee at an open bar or café
- access to fresh bread, fruit and/or vegetables practically daily
-no need to carry a full medical kit, the next pharmacy is only ever a few hours (a day at most)away.
- no need to carry/use your PBL in order to access medical assistance.
- the knowledge that I can post any excess items home; or buy something new if I have a gear failure or realise I need something else.
- the cultural aspects
- the architecture
- the history!!
- I'd better stop, I'm kinda off topic..... 😉
Fully agree! Also the cost of doing anything in Aus is huge! 6 day walking with bed, meals on the Great Ocean Road quote for a single $4500... self managed and taxis still $2700 ish, despite the airfares, those dollars go a long way in Spain... I'm up to about 8, 2 each the last 2 years others pre covid.... oh and I love Spain and her people ❤️

Also the cost of doing anything in Aus is huge!
I visited Australia for a few weeks in 2019. As a Brit I found some things expensive but others seemed a very good deal. Perhaps because I was mostly moving in backpacker circles despite rapidly approaching 60 at the time. Sticking out like a sore thumb most of the time! :cool: The Greyhound bus pass and the backpacker 4WD camping tours of Kakadu, Litchfield and Uluru struck me as an especially good bargain.

I visited Australia for a few weeks in 2019. As a Brit I found some things expensive but others seemed a very good deal. Perhaps because I was mostly moving in backpacker circles despite rapidly approaching 60 at the time. Sticking out like a sore thumb most of the time! :cool: The Greyhound bus pass and the backpacker 4WD camping tours of Kakadu, Litchfield and Uluru struck me as an especially good bargain.
The backpacker infrastructure in both New Zealand and Australia is excellent. Not as good as it was in its heydays of the late 80s through the 90s but still way better than here in Europe. The problem is in most cases (there are a handful) they're not too close to any decent trails..... .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The problem is in most cases (there are a handful) they're not too close to any decent trails..... .
I was mostly travelling by long distance Greyhound bus but I did get a couple of 3 day walks in with camping overnight. On the Larapinta Trail from Alice Springs and on the southern trails in the Nitmiluk National Park near Katherine. In the local winter but more than warm enough for me!

Hi, Sarah.
I returned to Aotearoa last month after completing my first Camino. I would take the extra night in St Jean-Pied-de-Port as the first couple of days are rather challenging. I would also have your first overnight in Orisson, where you will meet your Camino 'family'.
Download PolarSteps which is a combination of travel blog and timeliness of your journey. Upon finishing you can convert your experiences into a high quality book.

Go well!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am from Canberra, Australia, and have completed three Caminos. We are planning a fourth in 2025. Everyone else has provided the info that I would have, except to say that we have the Great North Walk and the Great South Coast walk (which is newer).

If you're a podcast person, my suggestion would be to listen to Australian Hiker. The hosts are from Canberra too. It's a great podcast and discusses all things hiking from an Australian perspective.

Considering trip #3 for 2025 at the moment (Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo). Our new EBA gives me 8 weeks annual leave and I also have long service up my sleeve.
I love the planning and trying to learn Spanish. The airfares are not cheap and to date I have flown to Barcelona via Singapore and flown home via Paris or London.
We have been doing a lot of travel post Covid and while the exchange rate tends not to be in our favour, the costs in Spain are low compared to everywhere else. No offense to the UK but I would rather be in a heatwave in Spain than experience the non-summer we got this year.
You will really enjoy that combo Camino! Did it in April/May this year. Wasn’t keen on the Madrid at times but in retrospect it was great and the exercise got me ready for the next 2 👣🌻

since 2008. CF, Via Podiensis, VDLP. Porto-Santiago. Two legs Of Via Francigena, and last month the Fishermans trail in the Algarve

Not sure where you are from in Australia, But there a umpteen long distance walks and an abundance of shorter walks
Blue Mountains (my home) has some wonderful 1 day walks and a number of longer ones

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
since 2008. CF, Via Podiensis, VDLP. Porto-Santiago. Two legs Of Via Francigena, and last month the Fishermans trail in the Algarve

Not sure where you are from in Australia, But there a umpteen long distance walks and an abundance of shorter walks
Blue Mountains (my home) has some wonderful 1 day walks and a number of longer ones

Yep, I get that. I'm sitting in Penrith (foot of the Mountains) right now getting my van serviced.
Heading up to Glenbrook for lunch shortly.

Lots of great 'walks'. But they are not Caminos :(
Hence I don't really walk much at home......
A few short bush walks.

Not wishing to divert this thread to the difference between a hike and a Pilgrimage.
That always ends badly. And I think is against the rules now! 🙂🙂

Hola. Soy de Auckland. I've done 2 and planning another. There's no real way around the airfare thing, it is what it is from here. The best I can suggest is pick a window in the future and keep an eye out for deals. It's definitely cheaper to fly into places like Madrid or London and get cheap flights/buses/trains from there to your start point, especially if you're flex on your start dates. The best advice I heard for antipodeans doing a camino was 'put 90% of your effort into your feet' i.e. well worn in shoes/socks etc. For a lot of walkers, if their feet pack it in, it's a cheap 20euro flight home. For us it's a lot of expensive accommodation until our return flights. That advice has worked well for me both times. Buen camino!

One of the Japanese pilgrim routes? Kumano Kodo or Shikoku. A very different type of walking experience but well worthwhile. Closer but not exactly next door either!
And just about as expensive, airfares to Japan are not cheap. But the Kumano Kodo is definitely worth the effort and expense.

Hi from Sydney. CF x 3 so far - love it! Considering Portuguese Coastal/Spiritual variant plus Finisterre/Muxia for Autumn ‘24 or Spring ‘25 - OR maybe CF number 4! I’m currently seeking views on differences and similarities between CF and CP Coastal if anyone has opinions to share?

I walked the Portuguese Camino this September. My flight was the most expensive part but all up I thought $5000 was pretty reasonable for a 4 week trip to Europe! I have every intention of doing it again.
The Heysen Trail is 1,200km (not 2,500) and is beautiful but very isolated in many parts. I believe Walking SA is looking at re-routing parts so that it does go through towns. But I don’t think anything compares to the infrastructure along the Camino. The Lavender Trail is a relatively new trail in SA from Murray Bridge to Clare and is similar to the Heysen. The Adelaide 100 trail, while still not 100% complete, is possibly the closest to a Camino type experience as it passes through/close to towns and through the city of Adelaide. I would love to do the full Manly-Bondi walk, have walked Coogee to Bondi and it’s beautiful.
Nearly 2,500 return!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I grew up in NZ, now live in Adelaide, Aus. 3 caminos so far😊 I also enjoy the hut to hut walks in NZ and Aus ( Tassie) for the camaraderie with both local and international people, although not pilgrimmages they do give you that feeling of moving along the trail together for a few days or so. Queen Charlotte Track has more upmarket accommodation and pack transfer by boat if you wish although we did it as a family independantly carrying our tents. The Larapinta Trail (×2 thru hikes) although rugged was also enjoyable for camaraderie and shared endeavour. Linda

Hi from Darwin. Walked the Frances and Finisterre in 2019. I walked the Frances and Portugués last year. I guess I walked two caminos each time because of the expense and time to come back again but never thought of it that way. Planning on walking the Del Norte next year. My sister-in-law wanted to walk the Portuguese with me last year. When we had finished, she said she wouldn’t walk another Camino as there are plenty of beautiful walks in Australia. Anyway, six months later, she rang me up and said I understand now why you want to walk to Santiago and would I like to walk the Del Norte with her next year.

Thanks so much for your replies. You are so inspiring. Yes Spain is cheap compared to Australian travel. I live in Melbourne.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi from Taranaki, 6 camino’s so far and we just bought new boots to head back 2024!
Addicted!!!
I left Taranaki many years ago and I have got addicted to the caminos (20). Everyone will have there own thoughts on boots - but I have never needed them I just get runners with lots of cushioning and a wide toe box - As much as I love Spain, Sydney is fabulous if I can saty away from the traffic.

Just a thought for those flying in from Australia and New Zealand.
We are starting to look at flights for next year.

I'm basically looking at ports of entry 'anywhere' in Spain, France, Germany, Italy, UK.........
Internal flights in Europe are often so cheap, getting a good deal on your long haul flight can be the main goal.

My preferred ports of entry though, are usually Madrid or Paris.

Last edited:
There are the Great Walks of NZ, the Milford Track the most famous of these. Peg and I walked that in 2016 and Peg says that was the best walk, hike or backpacking trip she has ever done. During the warm season the Department of Conservation allows 40 independent walkers and 50 in tour groups to start per day. It is a four day hike but the tours may include several days in nearby areas too. The independent walkers get huts, bunks, stoves and fuel each night, sort of an albergue in the mountains. Bring a sleeping bag and cooking/eating gear. Those in the tours have separate huts but from my look at them they are more like hotels with restaurants. You don't need to carry much for these. The tours cost something like $2,000 each. The three nights in the huts cost us about $120 (US) each but there were extra (optional) transportation costs that were easily booked at the same time. Quite reasonable.

Edit: Here's the tour agency, Ultimate Hike's video for the Milford Track. They show the fancy huts but the same track is hiked by all.
One cold and wet afternoon on the Routeburn track I walked past one of these private tour 'huts'. Looking in through the large picture windows at warm, dry and clean people sitting round a blazing fire sipping wine and beer and eating canapes made me a little envious..... 🥶

€60,-
Just a thought for those flying in from Australia and New Zealand.
We are starting to look at flights for next year.

I'm basically looking at ports of entry 'anywhere' in Spain, France, Germany, Italy, UK.........
Internal flights in Europe are often so cheap, getting a good deal on your long haul flight can be the main goal.

My preferred ports of entry though, are usually Madrid or Paris.
And Dublin? 😇

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
One cold and wet afternoon on the Routeburn track I walked past one of these private tour 'huts'. Looking in through the large picture windows at warm, dry and clean people sitting round a blazing fire sipping wine and beer and eating canapes made me a little envious.
I hiked the Routeburn in 1977. Just the other day I watched a video of the hike. There's lots more people, more, fancier and bigger huts and also a bus to the trailhead. What made me envious though was seeing that landscape again.

This was a great walk long before it became a Great Walk, maybe even greater.

Last edited:
I never start walking straight away. I spend 2-3 days playing tourist first. First time I flew down to Sevilla from Barcelona and spent a couple of days there. Once I finished the VDLP and Fisterra I flew to Barcelona to play tourist and then Paris.

Next trip we spent 3 days in BCN as my partner had not been to Spain before going to Valencia for 2 days. Then we started the Levante and later the Invierno. Flew home to Darwin via the UK to visit relatives there. And yes, we had a 3 day stay in Toledo and an extra day in Avila. I never expect to return so I want to see the sights while I can. Trying to live the life of least regrets.

Edited to say I'm doing the Milford Track in February. Soooo lucky to get in! Took 3 hours of screen refreshing to get a booking. It is my Camino entree! Can let you know what how it goes.
Hi Sarah. I have recently returned from the whole CF. 4K sounds very high. What are your arrival and departure points? Did you book through Webjet? St Jean Pied de Port is a delightful medieval town and needs a minimum of two nights. Don't attempt Roncesvalles in one day. Use Express Bourricot's shuttle service. Day 1 to the Virgin, and day 2 from the same on to Roncesvalles. Unless of course you have a bed in Orisson or Borda, both nearly impossible.

Hi Sarah. I have recently returned from the whole CF. 4K sounds very high. What are your arrival and departure points? Did you book through Webjet? St Jean Pied de Port is a delightful medieval town and needs a minimum of two nights. Don't attempt Roncesvalles in one day. Use Express Bourricot's shuttle service. Day 1 to the Virgin, and day 2 from the same on to Roncesvalles. Unless of course you have a bed in Orisson or Borda, both nearly impossible.
That price is consistent with bookings I have recently made with Qantas for the middle of 2024. Shifting flights a couple of days made a considerable difference. I tried finding similar flights on Webjet, but they were over $500 more. It is worth checking - I don't think they offer consistently good value.

I have walked SJPP to Roncesvalles in a day and stayed overnight in Valcarlos. I prefer that latter, but there are many who are fit enough to do that as one stage.

Thanks in advance.
Yes Australia is far away from Perth Caminos are addictive I have done 8 and I am sure more to come it’s not possible to replace it with a walk here in Australia I have walked in Nepal India Japan South America but it’s not the same Buen Camino

We have walked the Frances from St Jean in 2014, the Portuguese from Lisbon in 2016, the Norte from Irun to Muxia via Finisterre in 2018 and in 2022 we walked the Frances again St Jean to Finisterre via Muxia, the Ingles from Ferrol and the Primitivo from Oviedo. Because of COVID we had really missed the Camino and decided to make the most of our 90 days in Europe to do three Caminos last year.
Going back again in 2024 to walk from Le Puy to Santiago, again making use of the 90 days.
Agree with Camino07, getting there is expensive but certainly worth every cent and also not counting. ;)
We walked the Aussie Camino in 2015 and enjoyed it and then during COVID we did day walks around the whole of the GSWW (Great South West Walk), which was easy for us as we live on it.
Don’t know any other walks that are similar to the Camino in Australia.
Buen Camino.

Hi Sarah,
Five trips to Spain and going again in March. The flight costs are what we pay for living where we live. There are no ways around that so we try to add value by tacking on other activities; a cruise, a road trip in a hire car, a visit to friends, etc. This does nothing to reduce costs but it helps you "feel" as though you're getting more bang for your buck

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked my first camino in 2013 and my 9th in September this year. It is absolutely addictive for me and despite other walks around the world there is nothing with the same mix of walking, accommodation, hospitality and variety of fabulous people and sights. Not to mention those huge G&Ts at the end of the day 🤣
I have invested in learning Spanish which allows me to have conversations with locals along the way, especially in the small pueblos. I am always blown away by their patience and generosity of spirit as they try valiantly to decode my attempts and share willingly of themselves.
The airfares are my indulgence.
Buen camino.

I walked my first camino in 2013 and my 9th in September this year. It is absolutely addictive for me and despite other walks around the world there is nothing with the same mix of walking, accommodation, hospitality and variety of fabulous people and sights. Not to mention those huge G&Ts at the end of the day 🤣
I have invested in learning Spanish which allows me to have conversations with locals along the way, especially in the small pueblos. I am always blown away by their patience and generosity of spirit as they try valiantly to decode my attempts and share willingly of themselves.
The airfares are my indulgence.
Buen camino.
I love those huge G&Ts. An Israeli pilgrim once told me that the quinine in the tonic is great for leg cramps so of course I have to have one at the end of each day just to make sure I don’t get any. 😁

Thanks in advance.
Save up and repeat
You won't regret it .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Do you fly into Madrid or Paris?
Great places to have another night / rest day.
Have done two Caminos from Australia. Yes the flights are horrendous but once you have arrived... ah it is amazing,. Will be doing a third some time soon. There was a big improvement in the coffee from 2019 to 2023 too :)

That price is consistent with bookings I have recently made with Qantas for the middle of 2024. Shifting flights a couple of days made a considerable difference. I tried finding similar flights on Webjet, but they were over $500 more. It is worth checking - I don't think they offer consistently good value.
I suspect the high prices to Europe next year are due to the Olympics. We have booked another trip to the UK and the prices are horrible.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Sarah,
Five trips to Spain and going again in March. The flight costs are what we pay for living where we live. There are no ways around that so we try to add value by tacking on other activities; a cruise, a road trip in a hire car, a visit to friends, etc. This does nothing to reduce costs but it helps you "feel" as though you're getting more bang for your buck
Yes, that is the way to enhance the experience which in itself is amazing - a trip to Italy, a few bonus days in Barcelona. I just love Spain and Portugal - so much history to absorb. There is an ache in my heart to return soon

I walked the CF in March / April this year, I found good deals on google flights- that web site will send you updates if you ask it to, for good deals on your preferred route.

This year was my second camino - it was the CF from Saint Jean. my first was in 2016 (via de la plata, then on to finistere). I’m already thinking about next year’s camino - time will tell if I can manage to get there, although at this point I think I probably will…. I’m in Christchurch. One bonus is that if you like walking in the warm months, you can certainly trade the cold months on this side of the planet for a warmer time in the European summer. I’m considering a late spring or early summer camino in 2024, maybe the CF to Ponferrada, then the invierno to Santiago.

I suspect the high prices to Europe next year are due to the Olympics. We have booked another trip to the UK and the prices are horrible.
Personally, I always try and avoid Paris anyway (what are the odds that some part of your journey through France will be impacted by some kind of strike or another) and head to Spain. I hear there are lots of other good options in Europe as economical entry points too…. This year it was way more expensive for me to fly to Madrid than Barcelona, and easy to get from Barcelona to SJPdP.

I walked the CF in March / April this year, I found good deals on google flights- that web site will send you updates if you ask it to, for good deals on your preferred route.

This year was my second camino - it was the CF from Saint Jean. my first was in 2016 (via de la plata, then on to finistere). I’m already thinking about next year’s camino - time will tell if I can manage to get there, although at this point I think I probably will…. I’m in Christchurch. One bonus is that if you like walking in the warm months, you can certainly trade the cold months on this side of the planet for a warmer time in the European summer. I’m considering a late spring or early summer camino in 2024, maybe the CF to Ponferrada, then the invierno to Santiago.
that is a route I have considered too - prefer April May when not too hot(generally) or wet(maybe)

From Australia. I walked #4 this year.

Yes, it costs more to just get there than any other Camino related costs....but it's worth it.

Local walks? Nah...
Nothing compares....
I agree with @Robo . Nothing compares. #4 for me too ( to be continued )

I've done 4 caminos (including the Ignaciano in Spain) Despite the initial cost of flights, I still find those trips far cheaper and have so much more worth than any other holidays I look at in Australia or NZ.

Kia ora, @dreaming and welcome home.

I've walked:
Le Puy-en-velay to Saint-Jean to Compostela over two seasons.
Thames Path from source to Woolwich
Southwark Cathedral to Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Cathedral to Piacenza (southeast of Milan) over two seasons with two significant gaps

Warkworth to Hamilton (Te Araroa) (skipping Papakura to Huntly)
Waikanae to Island Bay (Te Araroa)
Levin to Pahiatua via Foxton, Sanson, Feilding, Ashhurst, and Woodville

Depending on wind, will walk Wellington to Otaki over four days (I'm slowing down)

The problem in Aotearoa is few backpackers outside the main cities.

I have a lightweight two person tent (me and my pack) to fill in the gaps.
And motels can be helpful, but become costly.

I can suggest three multi-day trips in Te wai pounamu and two in Te upoko o te ika a Maui. They will show on the WayMarkedTrails link below.

C360 - Christchurch 360 - from the top of the Gondola, down to Sumner, up the coast to the river, along the river and down to the airport, through Canterbury University, out to Halswell and up to the Gondola - about six to eight days.

GTT - Great Taste Trail - from central Nelson follow the rail trail to Wakefield, Belgrove, Spooners (disused rail 1.4 km) Tunnel, Tapawera, Motueka, up and down a ridge to Mapua (and a ferry), Rabbit Island and back to Nelson - six to eight days

Ship Cove to Anakiwa - and possibly onto Pelorus Bridge - all part of Te Araroa - quite a few days

Remutaka Rail Trail - Maymorn Station to Featherston Station via Tunnel Gully, Kaitoke, Kaitoke car park, Summit (Station), Cross Creek (Station) and Cross Creek car park - two days - camp at Summit.

Non tramping parts of Te Araroa might include Whanganui to Palmerston North via Turakina, Bulls and Feilding - about four days - mostly roads and quite flat, but ...

The link might be helpful for all five - it will come up centred on C360 - just pullback and move on to the next one.

The problem for all of them is accommodation and other infrastructure that we are used to on the Frances.

Kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (take care, be strong, confident and patient)

Last edited:

I have walked SJPP to Roncesvalles in a day and stayed overnight in Valcarlos. I prefer that latter, but there are many who are fit enough to do that as one stage.
Interesting, thank you. I did not say so in my first comment, but I booked through an American site called CheapOAir (worth a checkout). They found me an Auckland to Paris amazing deal that worked well. My return via spending time in Israel, was destroyed by the war. Too complicated for here, but eventually, thanks to Emirates, I got home to Waihi!

Personally, I always try and avoid Paris anyway (what are the odds that some part of your journey through France will be impacted by some kind of strike or another) and head to Spain. I hear there are lots of other good options in Europe as economical entry points too…. This year it was way more expensive for me to fly to Madrid than Barcelona, and easy to get from Barcelona to SJPdP.
We are flying Perth to Heathrow directly via Qantas.

We are flying Perth to Heathrow directly via Qantas.

Warning: my comments below are very general and are based on my recent attempts to book flights in April 2024.

I have "experimented" with carriers through all the known hubs. These include Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taipei, Tokyo, San Fran, LA, Houston and New York, looking a good deal.

My methodology included the same week (just after Easter).

I was piqued by having a stop over in Perth, so I could visit my late wife's very long term carer, now living below Perth with her adult family and grandchildren.

The initial search with Qantas was AKL to LHR and said NZD 1444. Under 30 hours with two stops (but no stop over).

Then looked at PER to LHR (I'll get to Perth separately) and Qantas said AUD 1639 with one stop and more than 25 hours. Qantas has bookings from AKL to PER for under NZD 600. So close to NZD 2500 all up for a multi-day stop over and significantly more flying (and airport lounge) hours.

With cost and first take off to final landing (door to door) hours in mind it currently looks like a transit through the US (with a two year visitors visa) is the most "efficient" way to go.

Kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (take care, get going when you can, be strong, confident and patient)

As another South Australian, I must point out the correct spelling of the HEYSEN Trail (named for the artist Hans Heysen), which runs through much of the beautiful Adelaide Hills, so beautifully depicted in his landscapes. I noticed your spelling error being duplicated in all the responses to your original comments and it is too much for me. Visit/walk the Trail around Hahndorf and you can visit the Heysen Museum.

Warning: my comments below are very general and are based on my recent attempts to book flights in April 2024.

I have "experimented" with carriers through all the known hubs. These include Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taipei, Tokyo, San Fran, LA, Houston and New York, looking a good deal.

My methodology included the same week (just after Easter).

I was piqued by having a stop over in Perth, so I could visit my late wife's very long term carer, now living below Perth with her adult family and grandchildren.

The initial search with Qantas was AKL to LHR and said NZD 1444. Under 30 hours with two stops (but no stop over).

Then looked at PER to LHR (I'll get to Perth separately) and Qantas said AUD 1639 with one stop and more than 25 hours. Qantas has bookings from AKL to PER for under NZD 600. So close to NZD 2500 all up for a multi-day stop over and significantly more flying (and airport lounge) hours.

With cost and first take off to final landing (door to door) hours in mind it currently looks like a transit through the US (with a two year visitors visa) is the most "efficient" way to go.

Kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (take care, get going when you can, be strong, confident and patient)
Did you consider transiting via Shanghai? I realise that this won't give you your Perth stopover and is more a comment on your initial search strategy.

Shanghai was the cheapest option last year, that I could find, but after trying to navigate the Chinese medical declaration website using a smartphone I made a mental note NOT to transit via China in the future.

Frankfurt might be worth chucking into the mix. For reasons of extended family Frankfurt was often a hub for me from 2000 onwards. The midpoint (from Akld ) varied from flight to flight - Hong Kong, Singapore, Bangkok were the most common, but I've also used Perth (family) and Seoul.
The reason I mention Frankfurt is because Lufthansa flies directly from there to Santiago and Oviedo (Primitivo), amongst other destinations. Easy to bus and/or train from Santiago to many of the Camino start points....

HI there... Im from the Wellington region and am planning on doing my second Camino next year. Having travelled extensively in my.. ahem.. younger years for me the planning and build up are almost as exciting as the trip! It helps to also love flying but the distance does need breaking up or maybe tacking on a couple of days either end to recalibrate. But just the sheer fact that its an entirely different culture to down under with food, language. adult beverages, history, villages etc. And then theres all the other European countries in close proximity. Whats not to love!! Enjoy every diay of your Camino..... Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As another South Australian, I must point out the correct spelling of the HEYSEN Trail (named for the artist Hans Heysen), which runs through much of the beautiful Adelaide Hills, so beautifully depicted in his landscapes. I noticed your spelling error being duplicated in all the responses to your original comments and it is too much for me. Visit/walk the Trail around Hahndorf and you can visit the Heysen Museum.
Apologies and if you look a bit closer maybe some more spell errors. Have visited the museum a couple of times, well worth the visit.

@dreaming, hi again

There is a route that is even closer to home for you. The Otago Rail Trail.

Cyclists seem to mainly start at Clyde and finish at Middlemarch.

I have started at both.

Attempt 1 was to be couriered from Dunedin to Middlemarch first thing and walked to Hyde the same day.
The intention for day 2 was Ranfurly. In the event I had two bits equipment fail before Waipiata - had a grand lunch there - magnificent pies. Pitched my tent at the camping ground and the courier picked me up the next day and returned me to Middlemarch and a shuttle took me to the Otago Vintage Rail halt at Pukerangi for the return to Dunedin.

Attempt 2 (two years later) was to fly into Queenstown, backpackers overnight, first InterCity bus to Alexandra and have a gentlemanly start from there (not Clyde) about 10h, lunch at Chatto Creek and cabin at the Omkau camping ground.
Day 2 was an interesting (for me) day with a backpackers at Oturehua. Into the pub for dinner and meet friends of the guy that bought an apartment from me and my late wife many years before.

Day 3 was up to the actual high point, seeing the occasionally painted goods shed at Wedderburn Station, markers for the planets of our solar system set at a scale distance from Ranfurly (as though Ranfurly was the sun) and the art deco of Ranfurly itself.

During day 3 I was getting messages about a snow storm to occur on my day 4 between Ranfuly and Middlemarch. I talked with the motel manager. She said she would get her tom-tom drums out. Less than an hour later, I had a ride from Ranfurly to Palmerston for the next day so as to catch the bus north to Christchurch.

The best route for me might have been:
a) fly to Dunedin - Intercity to Clyde
b) Clyde - depending on the timetable either overnight at Clyde or walk to Alex and overnight there.
c) Omakau - overnight- camping ground
d) Oturehua - overnight - backpackers
e) Ranfurly - overnight - backpackers in season
f) Hyde - book well in advance - very limited facilities
g) Middlemarch - overnight - camping ground

Kia kaha

Hi @KiwiRon. I'm guessing a greater part of my expense is starting from Invercargill. Regional flights are a killer. My flights are $4,300 to be exact, including a night in Dubai and travel insurance (which are only small factors). I'm flying all the way to Biarritz, and then out of Madrid on the return leg. I intend to book Borda if I get half a chance, then the next day hop slightly past Roncesvalles. I don't want to stay at Roncesvalles really.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I never start walking straight away. I spend 2-3 days playing tourist first. First time I flew down to Sevilla from Barcelona and spent a couple of days there. Once I finished the VDLP and Fisterra I flew to Barcelona to play tourist and then Paris.

Next trip we spent 3 days in BCN as my partner had not been to Spain before going to Valencia for 2 days. Then we started the Levante and later the Invierno. Flew home to Darwin via the UK to visit relatives there. And yes, we had a 3 day stay in Toledo and an extra day in Avila. I never expect to return so I want to see the sights while I can. Trying to live the life of least regrets.
Wow that's quite a lot of travelling! I might have a different background perhaps in that I need to come back to family responsibilities, otherwise I would be a lot more leisurely, and go for 6-8 weeks, like my travels when I was younger. However, I have built in an extra six days for my trip - these can be used if I walk slower than expected, need rest days, if I want to play tourist, or carry on walking to the coast.

Hi @KiwiRon. I'm guessing a greater part of my expense is starting from Invercargill. Regional flights are a killer. My flights are $4,300 to be exact, including a night in Dubai and travel insurance (which are only small factors). I'm flying all the way to Biarritz, and then out of Madrid on the return leg. I intend to book Borda if I get half a chance, then the next day hop slightly past Roncesvalles. I don't want to stay at Roncesvalles really.
Hi Sarah. Yes, from the deep south is a problem. I am a drivable distance from Auckland. The lovely Alsa coach from Santiago to Madrid is daily, and for 660 kms, well priced at about €65. Just make sure you get off in Madrd at the 2nd stop, not Atocha! Because Roncesvalles has only a municiple albergue (not bookable) I also hiked about 3 kms further to a booking.com place. It was a long day, but with my pack on the transport, quite doable. Just as well because the huge Roncesvalles albergue was totally full by the time arrived about 4 pm.

Hi Sarah. Yes, from the deep south is a problem. I am a drivable distance from Auckland. The lovely Alsa coach from Santiago to Madrid is daily, and for 660 kms, well priced at about €65. Just make sure you get off in Madrd at the 2nd stop, not Atocha! Because Roncesvalles has only a municiple albergue (not bookable) I also hiked about 3 kms further to a booking.com place. It was a long day, but with my pack on the transport, quite doable. Just as well because the huge Roncesvalles albergue was totally full by the time arrived about 4 pm.
Yeah something about Roncesvalles puts me off. It's a bit of a bottleneck I guess, from what I can see. Others will have their opinions. If I can start the second day from Borda/Orrison then I should be able to skip past Roncesvalles reasonably easily.

Pom here. Not seen any mention of the Bibbulmun Track https://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/
From what I've heard and read it would be top of my list if I was over your way. Curious as to why it's not getting due attention.. perhaps because it's in that 'flyover state' of Western Australia?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Pom here. Not seen any mention of the Bibbulmun Track https://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/
From what I've heard and read it would be top of my list if I was over your way. Curious as to why it's not getting due attention.. perhaps because it's in that 'flyover state' of Western Australia?
I´ve just done it. It is a great walk, 1000km of bush. It takes a little bit of preparation and planning, not to mention time. The main problem is that there are times of year when it is just not feasible, in particular summer. It is getting better known though. West Australia is expensive to get to as well from other parts of Oz. Flights to New Zealand are cheaper for most of us (not that this is necessarily a problem).

Just wanted to say hi - I'm from New Zealand and doing my first Camino in April 2024 (CF).

Hi Sarah. With summer coming, and you a South Islander, I'm urging you to take a hike to the DOC hut at the Temple Ski Basin in Arthur's Pass National Park. It is the exact antipode to an easily indentifiable point on the CF next to the Santiago airport. Details in the following post:

Last edited:
Another Aussie. 76, wife is 70. Camino every year since 2012, except for Covid. It's a lifestyle. Can't be replicated in Australia much as we love the place. Where can you wander for 30 or 40 or 50 days straight in Australia, and stay at something equivalent in cost and camaraderie to an alberque, or municipal Gite? The distances are too great and the infrastructure just isn't there.
Sure, you can do short walks. However we prefer the long haul, settling into the rhythm of the trek is one of the best parts, and meeting people from all over the world.
The Bibbulmun might be an honourable exception, but agree with everything that dick bird had to say about that. We don't want to camp out every night in the bush. We can't carry all the water and food supplies and camping/cooking gear for several days.
So europe it is - and it is getting expensive, just for the plane ride - which has it's own horrors with crowded aircraft and a 13/14hr haul on one leg followed by another 6-8hrs or so to the final destination - and the Aussie dollar exchange rate is a nightmare.
But we are hooked.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For anyone from Aotearoa New Zealand who hasn't yet booked. Qantas has a sale on at the moment to North America and they offer a direct flight from Auckland to New York for NZ$2100 return traveling out of ANZ in April or May and returning July or August (I didn't check shorter stays).

From NY there are heaps of options particularly to Madrid but almost anywhere in Spain for NZ$1,100-$1,200 or less, return during those same date windows.

The kickers are that the direct flight from Auckland to New York is just over 16 hours after which I would want to spend a night in NY which would not be cheap!

When I travel from New Zealand to do a Camino I usually fly Emerates. It can be 17 to 19 hours to Dubai, a three hour stopover and then on to London. Then Ryan to Biarritz. This time I will be going Dubai to Madrid and then on to Porto to do the Portuguese.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back