• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pillow - bring one or is it provided?

Burgundy

Time of past OR future Camino
April 19-May 5/24 - Porto to Santiago
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Generally provided, but not guaranteed in the public/parochial albergues. Private accommodations all of the time. Standard Spanish size, which means oddly large for US travelers. My one luxury item is a nice King-sized pillowcase because I don’t want my face against either a well-used pillowcase cover or the throwaway paper one that is often provided. Also, in the few instances where pillows were not present, I could stuff my own case with clothing to make one.

I've never stayed anywhere that didn't provide a pillow. I'm sure some greedier pilgrims snatch pillows/blankets from other beds so they can have 2 (yes, really)

Pillow cases aren't guaranteed. Your sleeping bag might have a hood, or maybe a towel can act as a makeshift pillow case.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've only ever stayed in one albergue that didn't provide pillows, and it was in 2022 as a Covid precaution.

On the Portuguese there is a few albergues that don't provide pillows - never seen this anywhere else.
My memory might be faulty but I think it only ever happened between Lisbon and Porto as well, and not any further.

I've only been to one place that didn't provide a pillow (Grañon on the Camino Frances, actually an often recommended albergue, but you are sleeping on a mat - not even a mattress - on the floor). You can pretty much count on one.

Most albergues either provide sheets or will sell you disposable sheets for a modest price. If you get the disposable sheets, there will be a fitted sheet and a pillow case, but no flat sheet.

Generally, the fitted sheet will almost fit the mattress. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have always had a pillow provided at every Camino albergue I have stayed in. I do usually bring a Dollar Store bottom sheet that fits, and always bring the pillowcase that doesn't quite fit..

Most albergues either provide sheets or will sell you disposable sheets for a modest price. If you get the disposable sheets, there will be a fitted sheet and a pillow case, but no flat sheet.

Once, i received a pack that had a flat sheet. It was a nice surprise

I carry an inflatable air pillow (Sea to Summit). It is useful in case there are no pillows - or they are unsuitable.

Also, I like to elevate my feet when sleeping at night. I typically use the bed pillow for that purpose and my inflatable pillow for my head - or vice versa.

This inflatable pillow does double duty as a lumbar support on the flight over to Europe from the US.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I carry an inflatable air pillow (Sea to Summit). It is useful in case there are no pillows - or they are unsuitable.

Also, I like to elevate my feet when sleeping at night. I typically use the bed pillow for that purpose and my inflatable pillow for my head - or vice versa.

This inflatable pillow does double duty as a lumbar support on the flight over to Europe from the US.

Hope this helps.

Tom

On my first camino I carried an inflatable pillow. I forget how many days it was before i "donated" it by leaving it in a free box in an albergue. It was a lovely idea but not worth the weight

If you need extra support because your pillow is too thin, use clothes or a towel.

Glad it worked for Tom especially given his need for 2 pillows but I'd say 99% of walkers would not recommend bringing an inflatable pillow.

On my first camino I carried an inflatable pillow. I forget how many days it was before i "donated" it by leaving it in a free box in an albergue. It was a lovely idea but not worth the weight

If you need extra support because your pillow is too thin, use clothes or a towel.

Glad it worked for Tom especially given his need for 2 pillows but I'd say 99% of walkers would not recommend bringing an inflatable pillow.
I despise inflatable pillows.😅

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Two caminos (Frances from SJPDP and Portuguese from Porto) and I've never stayed at a place that didn't provide a pillow. That said, I'd either carry my own pillowcase to use over it, or - what I did- was lay my sleeping bag hood over the top of it. There's quite a bit of turnover in the albergues (daily) so peregrino be warned. Buen Camino!

I bring a pillowcase that zips closed. At night I store my passport, money and anything else I value inside and sleep on it.
That must be one very long pillowcase due to those incredibly long pillows in Spain. I keep all my important things in my waist bag and put it at my feet in my sleeping bag or liner.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Short answer, NO. Just take pillow and case they provide on the plane to guarantee you have one. As said in posts, 99% of albergues provide a pillow, and you can survive without one once. No guarantee of a case, and it is usually thin plastic mesh paper. Personally, I always take inflatable Trekology pillow, my one luxury item that weighs 3 ounces. Needs no case. Custom adjustable with 3 puffs. I do not worry about anyone else's sweat or boogers.

They do sometimes leak over time. I note that the valves are the first thing to go.
The Trekology pillows last about 18 months before pinhole leaks occur at the bond between the inner baffles and pillow skin. Happened on 2 pillows. I was able to patch a couple holes to get another 2 months, but the next camino found numerous pinholes. I blasted Trekology for this, and they claimed to upgrade the design. I noted my 3rd pillow was just a bit different. It has held for a year now. Time will tell. Sea to Summit has a better warranty, but 2x the price. Never tried those.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked Lisbon to Santiago and always got a pillow ... but I didn't know that would be the case so I carried a nice, soft material blow-up pillow, 103 grammes. Any you know what? It was great for my naps under a bush or behind a wall after lunch, or anytime it was hot and I needed a break in the shade. So, no need for albergues, but great for the day!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.