Pillow or pillow case?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Bridget and Peter

Jun 20, 2007
East Anglia, UK
Time of past OR future Camino
Home to Reims 2007
Reims to Limoges 2008
Camino Ingles 2009
Limoges to Gernica 2009
Gernica to San Vicente de la Barquera 2010
San Vicente to La Isla 2012
La Isla to Santiago Sept/Oct 2014
Don't forget pillows vary in shape. Your case may not fit. We take those ?rayon? sarongs which weigh very little to wrap around what ever is available. Also useful for decent returns from the shower without having to put clothes over damp skin. Another solution is to use a T-shirt as a pillow case.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Priscillian

Veteran Member
Feb 2, 2008
Carantona, Galicia
www.pilgrimagetoheresy.com
Frances 1999, Aragones 2000, Desde Le Puy 2002, Portuguese 2009, hoping RDLP 2014
I don't usually get involved in equipment questions, but, I take a small soft "bolster" type pillow (rounded - like) which tucks into the hood of my sleeping bag. When I had back problems last year I stuffed it into the bit between the small of my back and my backpack. I used it to sit on watch the fireworks in SDC, and driving home slid it behind my neck for that long way back to southern Spain. By the time I got back it had taken on sacred status!
Buen Camino,
Tracy Saunders
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot

annakappa

RIP 2024
Jan 6, 2009
Costa Rica
Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013. Part Primitivo Oct 2013. Portugues from Porto June 2015.
I take an old threadbare pillow case left over from when the children were young (now 38 and 39) -so yes, they are old, but dry very quickly. They never fit the pillow properly. Sometimes I slip it over as much of the pillow as possible, sometimes I just put it over the top of the pillow. However, I wouldn't go without some pillow covering (a sarong or an Arabic keffieh can also do the trick). Anne

lynnejohn

Veteran Member
Mar 19, 2006
Frances(2005), VDLP(2007), Madrid(2009), Ingles(2009), Sur (2011), VDLP(2011)-partial, VDLP(2014)
Best bang for your buck - a sarong. You know where it's been.:

1. Pillowcase (wrap around your other clothes)
2. Wear coming out of the shower or when ALL your clothes are being washed
3. Shawl in the evening when it's cool
4. Skirt with a t-shirt for a really dressed up look for dinner :wink:
5.Tablecloth for a picnic lunch

Versatile, doesn't weight much. IMO

lynne

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

fiddletree

Feb 14, 2007
Aosta, Italy
There are pillows everywhere, so you don't need that. But they are often kinda icky looking.

However, I do think a pillow case is good. It means your head is on something (relatively) clean, and it is also good for keeping valuables safe while sleeping(passport, ipod, wallet, etc), as well as a flashlight so as to be ready for the next day. And since it is a bag, you don't have to worry about those things falling out in the night. A pillow case takes up so little room/space that I think it is worth it given the benefits.

Reactions: Silverton
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Mar 12, 2011
Past: a few
Last: Sanabres
Next: St Olav's Way
I walked the Camino Ingles and Camino Finisterre in Apr, and there were pillows, with disposable pillowcases and sheets in all the Xunta albergues, as well as in the couple of private albergues I used.

I carry two very light (~25gm each) packing cells, and add to the pillow height by filling these and placing them under the pillow. At other times I have used a combination of clothes and packing cells, even boots, to get a comfortable 'pillow'arrangement.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
Hi, I'm off to CDN tomorrow but this is in my mind. I got the baggage transfer from from Correos and I will going to walk from Irun to Llanes this time, so my plan is to carry a 22lts day pack and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.