• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning commences - how quickly can I pack and set off on my first solo advent

p1802

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 2015 2017 2019 Camino Frances
2016 Camino Del Norte
2017 Camino Portugues
Visited Kathmandu and commenced purchases. Hard not to buy one of everything, but must remember I have to carry it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Have you any experiences walking before? It always makes me laugh how many different 'versions' of gear I bought until happy - dry, comfy & happy :)

All the best - I hope I'm not teaching grandma to suck eggs when I suggest research, time & patience weighing up the options.

Buen Camino.

Visited Kathmandu and commenced purchases. Hard not to buy one of everything, but must remember I have to carry it.
Day 20. 480km down, 320km to go.

A piece of sage advice... Be prepared to loose your gear!!!

Humm, in hindsight I shouldn't have gone too premium. Buy quality but don't spend too much. Down to 1 underwear, no beanie, lost my glasses etc... And there are too many pilgrims who are in the same boat. Albergues are great, but at 7am with all the commotion, it's easy to forget.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I have been the same. Bought all kinds of things I believed I would 'need' but then i could barely pick up my pack. lol :)

Have you any experiences walking before? It always makes me laugh how many different 'versions' of gear I bought until happy - dry, comfy & happy :)

All the best - I hope I'm not teaching grandma to suck eggs when I suggest research, time & patience weighing up the options.

Buen Camino.

I also keep changing out my gear. I think I'm on the 5th (?) sleeping bag! Fortunately my local sports store has a great return policy! But I'm finally happy with the one I bought yesterday. My pack is currently down to about 10 pounds so feel a lot happier

How quickly can you pack and set off? I decided to go on a Monday, I was in Spain on Tuesday. I pretty much had the clothes I stood up in. You can go pretty quick if you need to.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back