• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning my Camino for 2013.

AmmieM

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept Oct 2013
Caminho Portugues 2016
Greetings to all, from Downunder. I am planning to walk alone from Leon to Santiago de Compostela in September - October 2013. Still deciding on beginning or end of September for start date. Advice welcome. Also, I have about 4 weeks for the journey so plan on 2 nights in some larger centres and 4 nights in SdC. Initially thought of doing the walk with pack being portered, but have read many postings and think I will manage to carry my pack. My biggest challenge will be to travel without 15+ kilos of "basics" - iPad, laptop, shoes, makeup, jewellery and lots of clothes. Have read with interest, the pack minimisation ideas in the forum.
Am not so young and working on my fitness. Any comments / suggestions to help me plan my trip of a lifetime will be most welcome. :wink:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Pack should weight no more then 6-7 kg without water and food for a day. Be modest, hukung shoes, sandals, 3 pairs of hiking socks, 2 pairs trousers, 2 hiking T shirts, 1 long sleeves shirt for hiking cold mornings, one fleece, one termal long sleevs shirt, rain coat, rain trousers, sun hat, fleece hat, fleece gloves, pack, rain cover for pack, water containers, liner for sleeping, towel, hiking poles, small hip or back pack, pillow case. That's the basic. Add very basic first aid kit, multi use soap, cosmetics.
That's it. If you add anything to this list- it's luxury.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The beginning of September will still be very hot and busy so mid-to the end of September would be better.

Leon is about 312km from Santiago. Most people walk it in about two weeks, averaging 22km per day.

There aren't really any big centers on the Camino after Leon. The bigger cities on the Camino are Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Santiago. The others are really biggish towns - Ponferrada (pop.59 700) Sarria (12 500) Melide (9000).

If you have 28 days to walk, you could walk it doing 11km per day. If you spend two days in each of those bigger towns and 4 days in Santiago you can plan on 17km per day.

Some of the municipal albergues in Galicia won't accept pilgrims who have walked less than 20km so plan on staying in the private albergues in Galicia and you'll be OK.

If you were a big, strong man you could take 15kg but if you are a not-so-young, not so strong person, plan on half of that!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Aimee Greetings from Jerusalem
15 kilo is far too much do try and cut, should you discover something you just can't walk without, Spain is a modern country and just about anything you might need is easily available. Nice places to stop? First of all Leon! Don't let the excitement and enthusiasm push you out onto the Camino without a good look around-the Cathedral of course but don't pass on the Basilica St Isodoro and definitely take the tour in order to see the frescoes which are almost 1000 years old! Your first problem, do you fall into the "only true pilgrims walk all the way" trap and destroy your knees on 9-10 kilometers of sidewalks and streets, furniture stores, gas stations, tacky bars, and garages to walk out of Leon or do you take the city bus from Plaza San Domingo straight to La Virgen del Camino, the last stop which drops you off on the Camino? "Remember your knees, you will miss them when they are gone". Other nice places? Now we become subjective, I really enjoy Hospital del Orbigo and Astorga, Rabanal for the of so English albergue Gaucelmo and the Gregorian chants at evening mass, Villafranca del Bierzo and do try the local Bierzo red wine there, O'Cebreiro has sadly become a tourist attraction but if you must try pulpo this is the place, despite recommendations for Melide, octopus is much better here, Sarria is one big albergue but do go into the small San Roque church as you leave in order to see the cloister, the towns of Galicia are sad try to stop before or to trudge on through them, the countryside wonderful, try to turn right (north) off the Camino at Portos in order to see what remains of Vilar de Donas, a Romanesque church now a museum very beautiful, the hospitalier at Portos was quite surly but the albergue pleasant enough, don't even consider stopping at the so called Pilgrim Pavillion called Os Chacotes, better to sleep outside in the rain! My favorite albergue on this stretch is located just befoe Portomarin, Albergue/Café Bodeguina just before Meracadoiro/Moutras, on the left hand side of the Camino (south) very busy at lunchtime with pilgrims and locals becomes pastoral after 1400 and wonderful people there and good food ,I could go on and on some more but won't Buon Camino!

Thankyou for the comments so far, Zammy, Sillydoll and Scruffy. I really appreciate your feedback. Realise the dream and reality have to meet somewhere. I am reconsidering my timing and packing already. Scruffy, I loved your descriptions and practicalities. Whilst I regard myself as a pilgrim and have a religious and spiritual focus for the walk, I also have to be realistic. My knees are already challenged, so I will look after them!! A bus for a few kilometres will be forgiven.
Blessings and thanks to all.

AmmieM,
There are a few from Downunder who have walked, or are planning to walk, the Way. In which city are you based? I am sure we can find someone close to meet you if it would help. Always looking for an excuse for a couple of tinnies and a snag!
Rob@Melbourne

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Rob, I am on the NSW far south coast, halfway between Melbourne and Sydney.
Closest city is Canberra - 3 hours drive.
Have decided to travel late September 2013. Hope it is cool but comfortable. When did you walk?

AnnieM,

Having just driven 13hrs/1020km between Melbourne and Dubbo I am not offering to drop in to see you!!!

I am planning and training for April 10 2013. You will find lots of advice and support on this forum - just browse. There are many 'posters' who have several Camino's behind them so are able to speak with experience, don't be afraid to ask questions as we all have to start somewhere. Be prepared to evaluate the advice to see how it fits with your expectations/budget/requirements . . . . .

Enjoy the anticipation and preparation!

Rob

Hi Ammi
I am planning to walk from SJPP to SdC in Sept-Oct 2013, final dates yet to be decided.
Living in Canberra, I'm not too far from you, so perhaps if we work out how to private message we could organise a coffee when you are next in town.
I am a novice, but just this week I am in Adelaide and am tomorrow meeting with someone who has walked many Camino kms. I would be happy to share any wisdom/knowledge that I gain.
cheers Jen

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Ammi and Jen,

I am another Australian (Brisbane) also planning my camino for Sept/Oct 2013 so just wanted to say hello as I may see you along the way :) Have you decided on dates and booked a flight yet? I am keeping an eye on the early bird specials on the moment, waiting to pounce!

Cheers, Lauren

Hi Lauren. Am planning on flying out of Sydney on 21 September, arriving Madrid on 22nd and getting the train straight to Leon. I plan to spend a couple of days there, acclimatising and getting over the 35 hours of travel.
Where do you hope to start your walk?
Bought my pack and poles today. Very exciting!!
Am up in Brisbane a bit as my kids live there. Hope we can keep in touch and maybe meet up.
Happy planning.
Ammie

Hi,
I am planning to start in SJDP around 10 Sept so may see you along the way. I am from Perth Western Australia. I have found this forum extremely helpful. Thanks to you all for your posts. I am heading the advice and experience.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Cejanus
Not sure if you read the post on the Camino get together at Benny's cafe, Fremantle on 17th Nov 10 to 12 noon? look forward to seeing you there.
Heather

walking with a light backpack

AmmieM said:
My biggest challenge will be to travel without 15+ kilos of "basics" - iPad, laptop, shoes, makeup, jewellery and lots of clothes. Have read with interest, the pack minimisation ideas in the forum.
You will be able to walk with a light backpack around 7kg (without the food or water).
See this page :
http://alaquarelle.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... -st-james/

Ammie, I was looking at the beginning of September - most likely that first week - and I will have four weeks to walk as much as I can! I was really hoping to start in Pamplona but I just don't know if that will be possible. Oh well, will work it out soon enough. I have to go look at books and things this weekend which will be fun.

Would love to chat if person if you are in Brissy!
Lauren

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Letendre, I flippantly mentioned the 15 kilos. That is my packing for a week away, when I have 3 outfits per day, staying in a resort!!!
I am already planning my 6 kilos of gear, as my backpack, with a solid supporting structure, weighs 2 kilos. I now realise why so many clothing companies give the weight of each garment. Every gram counts!! My training has begun and soon I should be walking with a laden backpack. As I still have 10 months for training, I should be fine.
Ammie

latch24 said:
Hi Ammi and Jen,

I am keeping an eye on the early bird specials on the moment, waiting to pounce!

Cheers, Lauren
Lauren, QANTAS have some good deals, flying through to London via Dubai. Return flights at the moment about $1850. Haven't looked at other flights yet.
Happy planning
Ammie

Hi All

Another Aussie, I too, am planning walking the camino starting mid Sept. I live in Newcastle NSW. I am 60 so training to walk only 10 + kms a day. Any more will be a bonus. I was curious about the post that some pilgrims are not welcome in some refuge accommodation unless they walk 20+? Truly?

Regards
Janis

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi
We're from across the ditch. Forgive me! You certainly seem to ahve lots of support over there, but I do have a couple of comments to make.
We just walked from Astorga in September. With having a large group (11 of us) ranging from a 6 year old to an 80 year old Grandpa we were SLOW, and a broken arm at O'Cebreiro slowed us even more, but even still we made it in three weeks. You will be very very comfortable with a month. You might even think about starting a bit further out - or considering the option to walk out to the coast afterwards.
Although I am reasonably young (half the age of the father-in-law!) I injured my knee in my youth and did not discover it would be problematic until I was halfway through a trek in Thailand. I am a tough nut, yet I cried all the way down the hills one day the pain was so unbearable. Scared of ruining this trip for everyone, I ended up getting some Pacerpoles and must say they were AMAZING. They did not heal my knee, but I never even thought of crying. I did have times of stopping to ease it, but the difference was immense. You might like to try them.
Someone mentioned that you have to do 20km through Galicia....we stayed almost exclusively in municipal albergues, most days having walked less than 20km and it was NEVER a problem. The only disappointment was that they all have the same stamp!
Hope some of that is of assistance to you.

Thankyou to the inspiring Kiwi family. How did you do it?? I have read many of your responses to various forums with interest and admiration. Wow.
Following your comments, I am now considering going on to Muxia. I know I have plenty of time with 4 weeks available. Thankyou for inspiring myself and many others.
Ammie

Reality strikes. I have just booked my flights, Sydney to Madrid, via Dubai and London. Arrive in Leon on 22nd September 2013 and will have 4 weeks from Leon to SdC and Finisterre. After 10 years of prayer, glimmers of hope, guidance and God moments, it just happened tonight that I decided not to wait another day and made the booking.
I really believe my Camino began in 2003 when I took a group of primary school students for their very own walk around the beautiful foreshores of Sydney Harbour to celebrate the Feast of St James. They were complete with cockle shell necklaces and a certificate at the end of the walk. A mini pilgrimage for 6 - 12 year olds, who were students at St James School.
I have visited this forum daily for the past 2 months and read widely of the experiences of others. Thankyou so much for the wonderful advice, information and support provided through this forum. I have purchased my pack, poles, sleeping bag and lightweight gear. I have prayed daily about this experience of a lifetime and now I believe I am called to go.
I hope to meet up with some of you along the Way. Blessings to all. :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Do not skimp on medical kit, anti inflammatory ointment and calm down to the knees. compeed only scratches. blisters heal differently and in shelters. Small boat sunscreen. when does sun burns. Hydrate frequently. Do not force it up. if you feel strong.
Buen Camino to Santiago.
Ultreya.

One last word, prayer certainly helps along the Camino, when you are down or when elated, the Spanish make great coffee and it is almost equallyas effective-Cafe Solo is like espresso and will have a pilgrim up and running in no time, Cafe con Leche is for less braver souls and takes just a little longer before irt kicks in - bars are bars in Spain like anywhere else but their income is from the coffee and its good stuff - do not hestitate to enter.
Scruffy

Lauren,

There are 2 of us from brisbane leaving oz 8th oct 2013. Would like to have coffee and a chat to others in Brisbane and compare some notes, packing lists etc.....

Let me know what yoy think or if there are any other Brisbane Pilgrims out there get in touch..

Cheers

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi tsetsgee, thanks for the offer - I have sent you a message!

As an update, I am booked my flights and I leave Brisbane on 30th August and return on 1st October. I think I will start my Camino in either Logrono or Burgos and now I am looking to purchase boots to break in!

Happy holidays to everyone, I wonder what Camino related goodies I might get under the Christmas tree? :)

Hello all,
I am from Bunbury WA and am also planning to do the Camino Sept/Oct 2013. Half the fun is the planning and the trepidation that you will get it wrong. All down to experience i suppose. Hope to cross paths with some of you soon.

Marlene

Marls000 said:
Hello all,
I am from Bunbury WA and am also planning to do the Camino Sept/Oct 2013. Half the fun is the planning and the trepidation that you will get it wrong. All down to experience i suppose. Hope to cross paths with some of you soon.

Marlene
Hi Marlene. Unfortunately not. No matter how may times I go I always get something wrong. We live and learn - or in my case - we don't learn but live! :D Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Marls000 said:
Hello all,

Marlene
Hi,
I am from India and am planning for September -October 2013. Its great fun planning ! and training too. Hope to meet some of you on this forum on the trip!

Hi,
I have just booked my tickets :D i arrive in Paris 13th Sep for one day(Jetlag) and then onto SJDP, 45 days on the way, i would like to expolre a little on the way and fly out from Madrid on the 28th Oct. I'm in SE Qld about 2 hours south of Brisbane.
Beun Camino

Razz, I am starting the same day as you. Flying into Paris the morning of the 14 th. Intend to finish about 3 days before you. I'm going to London to watch my hometown Jacksonville Jaguars play football on the 27th.

Hi rcli4, thats great. How are you getting to SJDP? I think i will be taking the train :) I am really excited and a little worried all at the same time.

Great to read the responses and know that lots of you are busy planning and training for your Camino.
As the time draws closer, there are some anxious moments, many questions of myself about my ability to complete my Camino and much support. I know that all will be well, but I am quite nervous. It seems that those walking alone will have daily company if they want it or respect for those wanting to be alone. Am I right?
For those who have walked, any thoughts on weather? Will I need warm clothes? ( leaving Leon late September)
Also, any thoughts / advice on getting from Madrid to Leon on a Sunday?
I Continue to read this forum and am very grateful for all the comments and advice.
I know that it is my Camino and that is what matters most.
Blessings.

AmmieM said:
It seems that those walking alone will have daily company if they want it or respect for those wanting to be alone. Am I right?
Blessings.

Absolutely right ! As a couple, we walked together at times, apart at others. We were joined by lovely friends we made, and sometimes there were rather a lot of us , and everyday each person needed and got, time to be alone .

About clothes, by late September , you will need gloves and a hat for the early mornings, and a jacket. It warms up during the day, and cools down again at night, so it's layers really.

Buen camino ammieM

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
24 weeks today and I will be winging my way to Madrid on the flying kangaroo. Very excited but realize I haven't done nearly enough training. Really must get walking more now it is cooling down. Thanks again to all who have posted advice and encouragement.
Blessings.

AmmieM said:
24 weeks today and I will be winging my way to Madrid on the flying kangaroo. Very excited but realize I haven't done nearly enough training. Really must get walking more now it is cooling down. Thanks again to all who have posted advice and encouragement.
Blessings.

Along with the physical training don't forget a little language training. Just some basics will give you good confidence: hello, goodbye, thank you, excuse me, where is? ..., coffee, juice,

Walk with an open heart
Eric

Hi Ammie,

I just did the Camino and loved it. I was with 5 women all 50 except one (55) and we had a ball!! 275 km in 10 days. Read my blog to get an insight.
One of my best experiences!!

www.trace63.wordpress.com.
Rob, I am on the NSW far south coast, halfway between Melbourne and Sydney.
Closest city is Canberra - 3 hours drive.
Have decided to travel late September 2013. Hope it is cool but comfortable. When did you walk?[/quotAmour

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey Rob. I'm starting SJDP on 1 September. Am from Melbourne. Will look out for you along the way. Enjoy it's so exciting.
Naomi

Greetings to all, from Downunder. I am planning to walk alone from Leon to Santiago de Compostela in September - October 2013. Still deciding on beginning or end of September for start date. Advice welcome. Also, I have about 4 weeks for the journey so plan on 2 nights in some larger centres and 4 nights in SdC. Initially thought of doing the walk with pack being portered, but have read many postings and think I will manage to carry my pack. My biggest challenge will be to travel without 15+ kilos of "basics" ...:
I started in SJPdP with 10 kilos and I thought I had my pack down to the "essentials". When I reached Burgos I unloaded and mailed another 3+ kilos back to Barcelona. The Camino teaches the meaning of Essential. :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
I found I couldn't make any reservation in SJPP in the coming days. They are fully booked. I can't find even a single bed. What should I do? Is there anybody has a same situation?
Roncesvalles or push to Burguete? I prefer to avoid the recommended stages to avoid the race for albergues. Do you suggest Burguete? Is Roncesvalles too busy?
Several local news websites are reporting that in very bad weather a few days ago a pilgrim was found lost and confused walking the shoulder of the AP-1 highway near Burgos. Aiming for Burgos but...
Hi there, I am Nicole. I will start my trip from Villar de Mazarife on 20th May 2024, ends in Ponferrada. It will be my first time ever to hike on camino and I will be hiking alone. I have planned...
Hi all, just a quickie, My friend is near Leon and has fallen into the booking . Com panic as he doesn't want to risk not getting a bed. The word on the street is that beds are few and far...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back