• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning on a Camino in 2014

chrisbalz

Hi there, my wife and I are planning to go on a Camino and I want to experience it in a traditional way unlike my wife's plan to go with a tour company where everything is planned like good accommodations on every stop, luggage transfers, etc. Is it more practical to do all those stuff but still experience the camino spirit? Because I wanted to experience the traditional camino spirit, self-guided walk, you know staying in albergues on every stop, to experience what most of you guys had experienced "the real camino". I feel like doing the camino with a tour company where everything is prepared and arranged for me is not the "essence of camino" anymore should I insist to do it in my own traditional way or my wife's way with a tour company? Please help on this I need your opinions...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sorry I forgot to introduce myself, my name is christopher and I live in Melbourne, Australia. My wife and I will be walking in 2014.

Christopher,
my husband and i are also going with a company, however itisselfguided meaning that all they do for us is have a hotel or guesthouse waiting for us and transfer our bags. I wanted to sleep in the albergues too but my hus and sleeps very bad so we agreed 50/50. I have always wanted to walk el camino and i will do whatever i have to do to get there! We stll will be sharing meals and thewalk witheveryone. So don't be discourage and enjoy your walk.
buen camino !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
interesting question , i am not sure that simply staying in auberges in itself constitutes a "real camino" - others may have a different view - all you are effectively doing is outsourcing the booking of accommodation, staying somewhere more comfortable and having someone move your luggage....your will still be walking the camino, meeting and interacting with others,,,and having the experience

i wouldn't stress about it :)

cheers

david - also in melbourne

I will be doing my Camino in 2014 as well. Plan to go in May. I will be 55 by the time I go, I'll probably still be somewhat overweight but MUCH less than I was 3 years ago ... the one thing I know is that I will be as fit as I can make myself. I plan to walk carrying my own gear and I am working on making sure my pack is as light as I can make it. Personally I feel that if you are able (not everyone is for many many reasons and I understand that ... I might end up as one of them) you should walk the Camino and carry your own gear. If you do go the other route that is your choice but please keep in mind that the alburges are there primarily for those walking the route carrying their gear. I know I'd be very annoyed by the time I straggle in at the end of the day to see folks who had a MUCH easier time of it than I did, relaxing with a cheap bed forcing me to possibly have to move on if the inn was full ... just a thought ... it sounds like those tour companies have you stay in alternate accomodations though and that seems appropriate to me ... and for heavens sake don't pick up your pack just outside town like I hear some folks do and then try and pretend you walked all the way with your gear ... it's one thing to recognize your limitations and choose a lighter path but quite another to do so and then pretend you didn't. I can respect the former but I can't the latter.

Mysticl,
I too will be 55and shooting for late April to early May to begin on the Frances route. Perhaps we will meet up and share a vino or cafe.

Tony

Sent using Tapatalk.

€60,-
Re read my post and it sounds like maybe I am being a bit too negative. I want to make clear that there is no "right" way to do the Camino and if your wife feels more able to handle the hardship of walking by going the tour route it's better she do that than not go at all ... I totally understand that for some folks the tour route is the best way to realize their dream. I personally am afraid my body will not handle it well myself even though I plan to try and carry my gear and who knows there might be the odd day that I accept my limitations and maybe even a lift, but I hope to be more stubborn than that ;) I am lucky enough to be able to take things slow as I have no time limitations and I am hoping that will carry me through but not everyone has that. My only personal concern are the folks who try and "game" the system and I want to be clear that I don't in any way think that all the folks who go the tour route are like that ... it's just that according to some posters on here, there are some less scrupulous folks out there who do, and it's THOSE people that irritate me.-

Great news Tony ... I'll be the lady limping along but refusing to quit ;) I am not so worried about Day 1 since i am planning to stop in Orrison but the second day has me a little spooked ... even cutting the first day into 2 parts still leaves a daunting walk for me getting in to Roncesvalles. I am good to go on the flats but the mountains still freak me out, especially since it's do or die, I may end up crawling the last few kms ;) Hopefully by then I'll be in better shape ... we live in a place with lots of mountainous trails just have to work up to it ;) I look forward to sharing a bottle of wine with many many fellow pilgrims! Hope we get a chance to meet :)

There is another option that could save your knees Mysticl.
The Valcarlos route is flatter but a couple of kilo longer than the Napoleon route. Because it is flatter most bicyclists take that route.
I have been thinking of this route to start my Camino off slowly as well. The Orrison albergue is about 10km from St Jean while the Luzaide albergue in Valcarlos is about 11km from St Jean.
The trail here is along a road that follows the course of the Nive river. Photos I've seen show beautiful valleys and a panaramic view across the river. It is said to be the path / valley used by Charlemagne when crossing back to France after his Spanish incursion. Hence the name Valcarlos.

Tony

Sent using Tapatalk.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hmmm never even thought about that! Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to take a stroll with Google Maps to see how things look! I kinda had my heart set on the traditional footpath but your suggestion may be the wiser course. I guess I'll have to see how I do on the mountain trails here in BC as I train up. So far I have been hiking relatively flat to moderate trails primarily trying to get the distance up there before I started to add an elevation gain. Going to do an 8 km trail tomorrow weather permitting and see how the joints and feet manage. I have lots of time left to train but it never hurts to go for a walk :)

I figure if I can manage 8 km uphill here then it should be easy in Spain, especially since I'll be high on adrenalin and new sights to see! But if all else fails I think I'll take your advice, there is no shame in taking care of old bones :)

Mysticl,

I agree with Freetime. The Valcarlos route is a fine option for getting from SJPdP to Roncevalles. It is the only route suggested by the gendarmes for winter walking in snow. Since I am old I have followed it on all my caminos both autumn and winter. The municipal albergue in Valcarlos is very pleasant. However the Valcarlos route still mounts up and should not be considered flat or easy in any way.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Margaret

Thanks for your different views/opinions guys I really appreciated it. It somehow helped me how to approach things and to be more aware of each one' s limitations. First and foremost I was really happy that my wife is coming to take the camino with me because she was not that convinced when I told her about my burning desire to walk after I saw the movie hehe! It really inspired me, was so engrossed with it that I always talk about it everyday to my friends since then hehe. Yes it will be a self-guided tour but all accommodations are booked on every stop and luggage transfers. I assure you we will still be bringing our personal backpacks as we walk along. My wife's only concern is to have a peace of mind after every long walk we'll have a better place to have a good night rest especially if we are doing it for the first time and if you arrive late to the next stop or town. It is somewhat practical also because we will be bringing extra stuff with us as it will be our first time to visit Europe and planning to take a holiday after the camino. Blessings!

Christopher

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Can't say I blame her for that! I am a lot like that too. I'm still unsure myself of how well I'll take to the dorm style sleeping arrangements ... I don't usually have a problem but i do like my privacy and my husband has insomnia so the snoring could become problematic for him. I am hoping to manage with maybe the occasional private night/rest day but for once in my life I am leaving the planning up in the air to see how it goes ... I can always decide at the end of each day which way I want to go ... being retired has it's advantages! I hope whatever route you decide, that your Camino is as rewarding as possible for you both. May the sun shine and the winds be light :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back