• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning to walk from JPP Apr.20. Need to do this

sirn22

Hi - I'm planing to start At St. JPP Ar.20. I'm older and just in OK shape.Concerned about endurance especially initially .Need encouragement. HS

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You can do it. Take your time & don't get caught up in the "OMG, you have to walk 50k a day" mentality. If you have to take a bus, train, or taxi, do it. If you have to stop after 10k-15k, do it. :)

There's lots of very good information & advice on this board, so take your time & research it. Feel free to ask questions if you need to as well.

Buen Camino!
Kelly

You will be fine. I met an 80 year old french woman in Melide who had walked from her home in France.
For your endurance, is it possible for you to start training by having a one hour walk a couple times between Monday and Friday, and longer walks - 2,3,4 hours on Saturday or Sunday? It will give you an opportunity to wear your hiking shoes and carry your pack with everything you will need.

SJPP to Roncesvalles on the Route Napoleon is one of the hardest stages on the Camino. There are 2 albergues in between so that you can walk to Roncesvalles in two days. Look up "Orrison" and "Huunto" in this forum. SJPP to Roncesvalles has been discussed many times.

Often pilgrims take the road route through a village called Valcarlos when the weather is bad. Not sure if there is an albergue there, but there is a small hotel. The road route is considered easier than the Route Napoleon.

Start walking, and develop a positive mind set. "I can do this, I will do this." and you will be fine.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
hi
I'm 63 and will be 64 before you set off and I have walked from SJPP twice, the first time I did not think further than that first days walk 10km to Orrison but I made it and continued to make it all the way to Santiago,on the way I met so many people like me who each day discovered that they could do this thing we grew stronger together and we did it :D
you will not be on your own there are many in the same boat and the biggest thing I learnt was poco poco, little by little and take each day as it comes and not to think beyond that one day, and you will find as so many before you have found that you have hidden strength.
buen Camino
Ian

Hi,

When I got to Orisson I met a lady that was sure this was as far as she would get...we talked, I offered her two options:
1. I would be with her for the first 100km
or
2. I would pay for her transport back to SJPDP

At Roncesvalles she had such bad blisters...but she went on.

At Pampalona...she and I had worse blisters, but we went on

At Estrella...I was so injured I thought to go home...she stayed with me...took a bus with me to 30 Km outside Burgos...and we went on.

The Camino is there for you, with you and in you...

Have no fear...

Buen Camino

Arn

Don't make the Camino live up to your expectations. Everything is optional, even walking the Camino. Once you have broken the mold that you hoped to use, you will begin having fun!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings fellow travelers, I am hoping to do my first international trip at 57 and solo to walk the Camino Primitivo in mid-July. I want to book the trip through either Santiago Ways or Camino...
Hello, my name is Wendy and I walked the Camino Primitivo in September 2022 and I’m planning to walk the full Camino Portugues from Lisbon to Santiago beginning September 7, 2024, in honor of my...
I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Hello! I and my friend Cecilia will walk Camino Ingles with start 4th of October. We are so excited to our first but not last Camino. Buen Camino to all of you.
Hi my name is Bryce (Australian) and I’m doing the Camino Frances starting September 15. My wife is 57 years old and was born without her left thigh bone. She can wear a prosthetic leg for very...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back