• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please Recommend Lightweight Backpack On Camino Frances

santhi

Time of past OR future Camino
I am a female in late 40s and weigh 125 pounds and am 5 feet tall. I have been reading so much about backpacks on this site and am still undecided as to which one to buy. I am short and do not want to invest in a lightweight backpack without going to the store and trying them. A few seem to recommend Gossamer Gear Kumo. I went to the website but am unsure if these backpacks are too bulky for me. I live in Canada and do not have access to REI stores as they don't have branches in Toronto. How should I decide on the backpack given my height and weight. As i intend to be a minimalist in packing, with a targeted weight of just 4kg, how many liters should my backpack be? I would really appreciate recommendations on brands and types from females around my height and weight. Currently, I have decided on Osprey Talon (ultralight) Tempest 30 (women's model). Please let me know if this is ideal. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm Canadian and took a chance on the Gossamer Gear Kumo (I'm short but with a relatively long torso, so I got size medium). I like it a lot.

But, best practice is as you said to try some backpacks on and get them properly fitted. In Canada, you can go to MEC (Mountain Equipment Company) and they should have a number of backpacks you can try in store. MEC is like the REI of Canada. (They used to be a co-op like REI but aren't anymore, though).

You can also have a backpack ordered to the store to try for size (as long as it's one they stock). MEC has a decent return policy, too, if you buy one and try it for a week but then decide you don't like it.

There appear to be four MECs in the Toronto area - just do a quick Google search.

Additional thought: if you are looking for "ultralight" packs, MEC probably won't have a wide selection of that type of pack. I think they used to carry a couple of sizes from the brand Hyperlite Mountain Gear, but I'm not sure if they carry any other ultralight packs or even the HMG packs anymore.

A Canadian place you can get some ultralight packs to try is Geartrade.ca. They are in Alberta but of course can ship to you in Toronto. Here is their return policy - return within 30 days in "original, unwashed, unworn" condition. For a pack, you could probably still return it if you've tried it on with some weight in it and gone for a short walk on a non-rainy day... just don't sweat all over it or take the tags off.

If I were you, I'd go get my torso measured and some traditional packs fitted at MEC first. If you find a pack that you like at MEC that is comfortable, great. If you're concerned about the weight of the pack and want to try ultralights, then, knowing your torso length, try Geartrade.ca.

(P.S. The Gossamer Gear Kumo in Vaporwave purple is available on Geartrade.ca, and is on sale ;) That's my colour.)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I used to love Osprey packs because the women’s Tempest series fit my narrow shoulders well. But now I’m a Gossamer Gear fan. You may want to take a look at the 25 liter Lorus. I use it as a day pack and love it. You have to have the gear dialed in pretty tightly and replace the foam back pad with the Air Flow Camp Seat for more structure. It also needs the optional hip belt…fastpackers use these packs without the hip belt. I have the 35 liter Murmur, too, and the hip belt is simple to clip off and use on both packs. Garage Grown Gear often has lower prices on Gossamer Gear. https://www.gossamergear.com/products/loris

I used to love Osprey packs because the women’s Tempest series fit my narrow shoulders well. But now I’m a Gossamer Gear fan. You may want to take a look at the 25 liter Lorus. I use it as a day pack and love it. You have to have the gear dialed in pretty tightly and replace the foam back pad with the Air Flow Camp Seat for more structure. It also needs the optional hip belt…fastpackers use these packs without the hip belt. I have the 35 liter Murmur, too, and the hip belt is simple to clip off and use on both packs. Garage Grown Gear often has lower prices on Gossamer Gear. https://www.gossamergear.com/products/loris
GG gals with purple backpacks unite! *high five*

Very much agree with all the advice above. The return policy is important, especially if you are ordering on-line. While I'm fortunate to live close to an REI, there are plenty of brands (like GG and Deuter) that I'd love try on before settling on a purchase so, yeah, knowing the return policy is key.

This may only tangentially address your question about which make/model of backpack. Good fit is super-important. I recommend checking out the amazing davebugg's posts on footwear and backpack fit, such as this one HERE.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Additional thought: if you are looking for "ultralight" packs, MEC probably won't have a wide selection of that type of pack. I think they used to carry a couple of sizes from the brand Hyperlite Mountain Gear, but I'm not sure if they carry any other ultralight packs or even the HMG packs anymore.

A Canadian place you can get some ultralight packs to try is Geartrade.ca. They are in Alberta but of course can ship to you in Toronto. Here is their return policy - return within 30 days in "original, unwashed, unworn" condition. For a pack, you could probably still return it if you've tried it on with some weight in it and gone for a short walk on a non-rainy day... just don't sweat all over it or take the tags off.

If I were you, I'd go get my torso measured and some traditional packs fitted at MEC first. If you find a pack that you like at MEC that is comfortable, great. If you're concerned about the weight of the pack and want to try ultralights, then, knowing your torso length, try Geartrade.ca.

(P.S. The Gossamer Gear Kumo in Vaporwave purple is available on Geartrade.ca, and is on sale ;) That's my colour.)
Hi. I just checked out at Geartrade. Should I go for a small or a medium? Medium is completely sold out. I don't know, given my size and frame, if I should go for a small.

Hi. I just checked out at Geartrade. Should I go for a small or a medium? Medium is completely sold out. I don't know, given my size and frame, if I should go for a small.
Have you measured your torso length? It's the measurement that's important for backpack fitting, not your overall height.

Here's a video from Gossamer Gear showing how to meaure:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Geartrade.ca has the medium in the more expensive gray colour, and the small in the purple colour on sale. In either case this is cheaper than shipping it from Gossamer Gear in the USA directly, due to the shipping cost from GG and the customs fee you'll have to pay once it crosses the border.

You should measure your torso length and pick your size based on that, not on height. The GG Kumo is sized based on torso length. There are a number of videos on how to measure torso length for a backpack on the internet. Get someone else to do it for you, don't do it yourself or it won't be as accurate.

The GG Kumo sizing is:

----
Small
11.5" - 15.5" torso
(29 - 39 cm)
Generally fits people 5'6" and under
----
Medium
15.5" - 19.5"+ torso
(39 - 50+ cm)
Generally fits people 5'5" to 6'0"
----

Please note: I am only 5'1" myself, but I bought medium because my torso length is actually 17.5". So don't go based on height!

Edit: Watch the video that @trecile linked on how to measure torso length, it's a good one from GG itself! :) Thanks Trecile.

I like Gregory women’s backpacks because they have different lengths. For your height you would need the size small. I am 5’4 and used a medium.

I am 5'1" and 116 lbs. I used an Osprey Talon 33 (older pack I got about 10 years ago) and it was perfect for my size! They have a great warranty policy also. My pack was shredding in some areas after 500 miles and I sent it in for repair. Osprey replaced it with a free new one!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am a female in late 40s and weigh 125 pounds and am 5 feet tall. I have been reading so much about backpacks on this site and am still undecided as to which one to buy. I am short and do not want to invest in a lightweight backpack without going to the store and trying them. A few seem to recommend Gossamer Gear Kumo. I went to the website but am unsure if these backpacks are too bulky for me. I live in Canada and do not have access to REI stores as they don't have branches in Toronto. How should I decide on the backpack given my height and weight. As i intend to be a minimalist in packing, with a targeted weight of just 4kg, how many liters should my backpack be? I would really appreciate recommendations on brands and types from females around my height and weight. Currently, I have decided on Osprey Talon (ultralight) Tempest 30 (women's model). Please let me know if this is ideal. Thank you in advance.
I just completely changed the pack I’m taking over the weekend. This happened after I went to a gear store. My other pack was purchased online, without a fitting. While the fit is correct, I still eneded up with a different pack. I HIGHLY recommend you go try on packs with someone trained to help you and focus more on how they carry than the exact weight. I believe there is a store in Toronto called Mountain Warehouse. For the record, I ended up with the Deuter Futura 25 SL, rather than the Tempest I was so sure would be The One. The Deuter weighs more empty, but the carry is better for me.

As many say above, an in-person visit to MEC would allow you to try several types. Even if you are not ready to buy one of them, you will have a much better understanding of the features and trade offs. That will help you with online research and will give you a basis for comparison if you order something online.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think many will like the Kumo pack but it seems to be a bit big for the OP's wishes.

For the video's below click the arrow for an embedded video or on the text to bring up the YouTube app.

Here's Gossamer Gear's description of their Kumo 36.

Here's a backpacker's review. I like this video better.

Last edited:
Hi all, I’ve been reading for several years but shy about posting. I’m an older woman, about 63 inches, and 125-130 pounds. I agree with all the advice posted about trying backpacks to see what works for you. I live in the USA so have used REI, but also a variety of online retailers with good return policies. Sometimes I’ll leave the tags on a pack, and load it up with 7-8 pounds and walk for 6-8 miles which is enough for me to determine if a pack won’t work. I try to pay attention to how I feel the next day, too. Osprey Talon/Tempest, and Montane Trailblazer work best for me. I need a hip belt that will transfer the weight as I have some neck and shoulder issues, and don’t carry more than 10-12 pounds total on my back. Looking forward to my spring Camino!

Go to your local REI (or similar), and work with someone there. They will be able to make recommendations based on your journey, and you will be able to try them on. Different brands are going to fit your frame differently, even different models of backpack within each brand will. I'm 5'5", and about 175. I chose the Osprey Cirrus 34. It weighs in at 48.64 ounces, or 1.38 kg.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Tempest is a great choice. I’ve carried the Osprey Talon 33 on several Camino’s and love it. I’ve been selling and fitting backpacks in an outdoor shop for years and the Tempest/Talon are two of my favorites. The Talon 22 is my go to daypack for local hiking. Be sure to get the correct size Tempest 30 - it comes in XS/SM or M/L torso sizes. They also make an extended fit for those that need a larger hip belt. A outdoor shop can help you with this.

Whatever design or style rucksack you favor, try it on in a store - preferably with staff who can advise you as to correct fit. A good shop will have sandbags or other dummy weights to simulate your Camino load. They should encourage you to walk around with the loaded rucksack on and properly adjusted.

MEC should cover all these bases. It is more important to have well-fitted, comfortable rucksack than it is to have the coolest features and cutest color.

This rucksack is going to become like a tortoise shell over the time of your Camino. It will become part of you. I feel undressed when I remove mine at breaks or the end of the day.

Hope this helps.

FYI I tried the GG Kumo last year but found the shoulder straps to be uncomfortable. My upper arms rubbed when I walked. That was a deal breaker for me. I settled on an Osprey because of the comfort. In the long run, that was more important to me than the weight. The Osprey Tempest Pro 28 was very comfortable and comes in 2 sizes depending on your torso length.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Comparatively, I love my Kumo's fit and features:
  • the straps are well-padded
  • the weight is light
  • there is a minimalist detachable hipbelt to take some weight off the shoulders
  • big stuff pocket on the back
  • roomy water bottle pockets on the side.
Dimensions-wise the Kumo is actually about the same size as my Gregory Jade 28. (Which I also like, but it's heavier and the stuff pocket in the back isn't as big, and it sits taller on the back).

Things I wish could be better on the Kumo:

• lid pocket is pretty useless, doesn't carry much and if you stuff it with anything it makes opening the Kumo kind of awkward
  • could have bigger hip belt pockets
  • most comfortable carrying less than 20lbs (rated to 25lbs)
Anyway, I echo again the advice of other forum members. The original poster would be best served by going into MEC (the Canadian version of REI), getting fitted properly, and trying out some traditional packs with weight in the store first. If they don't like any of the packs in MEC, only then go to geartrade.ca to look at ordering in ultralight alternatives.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
More important than the weight is the wearing comfort

I like Gregory women’s backpacks because they have different lengths. For your height you would need the size small. I am 5’4 and used a medium.
I LOVE Gregory - my Camino was done with 35L. if anything I do sweat so to have that net between by back and the actual pack was quite a comfy thing

After numerous tries of various backpacks from different brands my wife finally settled on Gregory 28
she is tall so had to go M/L

as to the place to get - IIRC there IS a Decathlon in Toronto? Perhaps our Canadian Members can pipe-in

I would strongly suggest to go anywhere you can and actually try one on, then buy and take oout on one or two trial runs. Going back to my wife - it was part of the issue where "it felt OK" in the store but not on a 10-mile hike with stuff in it....

I LOVE Gregory - my Camino was done with 35L. if anything I do sweat so to have that net between by back and the actual pack was quite a comfy thing

After numerous tries of various backpacks from different brands my wife finally settled on Gregory 28
she is tall so had to go M/L

as to the place to get - IIRC there IS a Decathlon in Toronto? Perhaps our Canadian Members can pipe-in

I would strongly suggest to go anywhere you can and actually try one on, then buy and take oout on one or two trial runs. Going back to my wife - it was part of the issue where "it felt OK" in the store but not on a 10-mile hike with stuff in it....
You're right, there's three Decathlons in the Greater Toronto Area: downtown Toronto, Scarborough, and Vaughan. That's another good place for the original poster to go to try on packs.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You mentioned your target weight is 4 kg (just under 9 lbs). You might consider pulling together your kit and maybe even putting it into stuff sacks of known volume to get some idea of the overall volume you need for your new pack. That is an impressively (but do-able) target weight. If you haven't done it already, I think it would help you to lay your gear out to (1) make sure you are comfortable with what you plan to bring and (2) get an idea of the backpack volume you need. If you stick with your 4 kg plan, it may be possible to go with a 20 liter pack or you may discover that you need a little more than planned.

I purchased a 40 liter pack for my first Camino and discovered that I had more than ample room, could easily have gotten away with a 30 l pack. I had so much space that I threw in a cheap foam camping pillow that I didn't really need, but was nice to have, especially in the albergues with insanely thin pillows (that is to say, all of them :) ).

Buen Camino!

As mentioned, get fitted or fit yourself and order online, most companies allow returns. I use a GG Kumo for local hike and comfortably carry 10 -12pounds. For my Caminos, I have used an even lighter, frameless, waterproof bag made by Zpacks, the Nero model. Easily carried about 6 kilos of base weight plus 2 liters of water on the VdlP this spring.

you might also want to consider if you are OK with drinking from the bottles or do you favor bladder\camelback. if later - then you need to makes sure that your backpack comes with a dedicated reservoir area (and if you are lucky might come with one to boot). Gregory sells their own bladders that are nicely marry-up to the backpacks. I went out with a 3L one; some folks may say that its an overkill since it is relatively easy to replenish on Frances (pretty much true) but I am of firm belief that I'd rather carry extra water than risk running out (and actually I DID run out 2 times - my fault I readily admit, but none-the-less - and only by Grace of God I was on the outskirts of my destination town\village both times so 1-2 extra kms didnt outright kill me)
With that, keep in mind that 1L = 1kg (so just for simplicity and rounding it all up 2L = 1lb) of extra weight you will carry.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
With that, keep in mind that 1L = 1kg (so just for simplicity and rounding it all up 2L = 1lb) of extra weight you will carry.
2 liters of water weighs 4.4 pounds. You divided by the conversation instead of multiplying. Easy mistake. An airline did something similar to me with a refund of a ticket bought in another currency. They wanted to give me about $150 less. It took months to convince them of the correct conversion.

I am definitely "on a roll" today. 0 for 2 if we look at the Wright Socks thread and my post about Injiinjiis
:oops::rolleyes:

How should I decide on the backpack given my height and weight.
My rule of thumb is to look for a pack about half the volume (in litres) as your weight (in kg). That would be around 28 li, and you already thinking about something that size. I would think that would work well if you are already comfortable with that pack.

This rule of thumb was developed around another rule of thumb, that your bare pack weight shouldn't exceed 10% of your body weight. However, you are suggesting that you have a lower target that that.
As i intend to be a minimalist in packing, with a targeted weight of just 4kg, how many liters should my backpack be?
If this is your bare pack weight, and you need to add water and food to that, your pack weight might be 1 to 1.5 kg heavier, or 5 - 5.5 kg. As an observation, once the ratio of weight to volume gets above about 200g/li, things start to get very tight. I don't think I would contemplate anything much above 225gm/li personally. This would suggest that the minimum size pack that would work for that load would be around 25 litres. Here again, your current selection is going to be adequate, although it might be possible to choose something a little smaller if you can really keep your packing in control.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If this is your bare pack weight, and you need to add water and food to that, your pack weight might be 1 to 1.5 kg heavier, or 5 - 5.5 kg. As an observation, once the ratio of weight to volume gets above about 200g/li, things start to get very tight. I don't think I would contemplate anything much above 225gm/li personally. This would suggest that the minimum size pack that would work for that load would be around 25 litres. Here again, your current selection is going to be adequate, although it might be possible to choose something a little smaller if you can really keep your packing in control.
Lets say one would have a baseweight of 4kg with a pack of 500g, that would, taking your math, mean 3.500/200=17,5 liters. Typically those packs come with decently sized side pockets and/or a frontal mesh pocket where you can easily store a big water bottle (even two, but then weight might get problematic) and/or food and other misc items.
My pack (28l internal) is a bit more than half full with my gear and it was more of a problem to get it sufficiently full/compressed to achieve usable stiffness. (i found smaller packs lacking in other features, so that was not really an option).

@santhi you could also have a look at the Zpacks Nero and Sub-Nero packs. If they were not excessively expensive in Europe i might already own one.

You mentioned your target weight is 4 kg (just under 9 lbs). You might consider pulling together your kit and maybe even putting it into stuff sacks of known volume to get some idea of the overall volume you need for your new pack.
This is excellent advise to get your kit together before you shop for backpacks.
And while overall weight is important, comfort is more important. So don't overlook a backpack because it's heavier, because it might be able to carry the weight more comfortably.

A few seem to recommend Gossamer Gear Kumo.
I have two Gossamer Gear backpacks, and I like them. Their stretchy mesh is fabulous. I don’t have a Kumo because I’ve been backpacking in the Sierra where I need a full sleeping kit and a bear canister. I’m super interested in the Kumo Fastpack with the vest harness, though!

GG has a measuring guide on the website so you can order the right size. If in doubt, call and talk to someone! When you get the pack, load it up and try it on (loading with weight is important—don’t just try it on empty). If it doesn’t work, you can send it back.

The Kumo is frameless, so it will be lots different than your Osprey.

I've been wondering about taking a GG bag on my next Camino. If it's the rainy season, I may opt for something waterproof/resistant. I don't love the whole liner bag business.

Good luck! 🍀

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Lets say one would have a baseweight of 4kg with a pack of 500g, that would, taking your math, mean 3.500/200=17,5 liters. Typically those packs come with decently sized side pockets and/or a frontal mesh pocket where you can easily store a big water bottle (even two, but then weight might get problematic) and/or food and other misc items.
That's not the way that I would do that calculation. The OP suggests that their target weight is 4kg, They have already identified a pack, the Osprey Talon 30, which weighs about 1.2 kg according to Osprey. If the 4kg is a base weight, they have 2.8kg of other gear, or the 4kg is the other gear and their base weight will be 5.2kg. With a litre of water and a small food bag, a 4kg base weight would be around 5.5kg or a little less, or a around 6.7kg in the other scenario. That would lead to packing densities of about 175gm/li or 225gm/li with that pack. The former is going to be easy to manage, the latter will be fairly tight, but not impossible to manage.

The rules of thumb I use are to get someone into the ball park of what they might need. The real test is, as has already been mentioned, to get everything together, and take it along with you when you go to investigate the options available.

My last two CF's, I used an Osprey Talon 24L. At about 12 lbs total, I had room left over. I'm pretty sure I carry the same contents as most albeit without a sleeping bag. In 2016, I had a 36L Gregory and in 2018 a 35L Osprey. I just found that I didn't need that much room. Not trying to start an argument here. I have posted a few times about keeping pack and contents light and small. Absent medical or CPAP or other special requirements, a 30L+ pack is just not necessary. Just my opinion, of course--only four Caminos, but decades of wilderness backpacking. I have found over the years that less is more, not only regarding pack size and weight but also with respect to most things in life.

Like many here, I'm in the 'less is better' camp and at 4kg - 5kg I don't think I would fret too much about finding the perfect pack, as you're not going to feel like you're carrying a weight. But all the same, I'd still look for something with a comfy waist belt and shoulder strap padding and a good back length match. As I also need to get a new pack I'll certainly be looking at the Ospreys as some have back length adjustment, which is good for getting it 'just so'. To be honest, I've gone through a few rucksacks over the years and have always taken the 'science' about measured back lengths etc with a pinch of salt. It's a good place to start but, like boots, the right one is that which feels most comfortable regardless that it might not fit the theory.

One last thing. My favourite ever backpack was a 'non-big-brand' lightweight that I wore for two or three treks in the Himalaya. The reason I can't tell you the brand is because it started to fall apart after three or four years and I no longer have it. The ripstop started to fray at the seams, it got a tear in it from a careless pickup from sharp rocks, and was generally looking a little worse for wear fairly quickly. Conversely, I still have my very first proper rucksack, a Karrimor Alpiniste bought in 1983, somewhere round here. That's been twice round the world, been dragged up mountains, lowered off cliffs, used and abused by me, a few hundred airport baggage handlers, taxi drivers and whatnots, but remains basically intact. This is why I'll certainly buy a lightweight for my long distance trips this year and next, but I won't spend more than around ÂŁ150, because I don't expect it to last that long (unless I mend my ways and treat it like a Gucci handbag). Just my view, others will be different.

My last two CF's, I used an Osprey Talon 24L. At about 12 lbs total, I had room left over. I'm pretty sure I carry the same contents as most albeit without a sleeping bag. … I have found over the years that less is more, not only regarding pack size and weight but also with respect to most things in life.
My kid walks with a 20L Osprey. They are 4’11 and 130lb - basically the same size as the OP. Smaller clothes, even just a few pieces, weigh less and take up less space.

My last two CF's, I used an Osprey Talon 24L. At about 12 lbs total, I had room left over. I'm pretty sure I carry the same contents as most albeit without a sleeping bag. In 2016, I had a 36L Gregory and in 2018 a 35L Osprey. I just found that I didn't need that much room. Not trying to start an argument here. I have posted a few times about keeping pack and contents light and small. Absent medical or CPAP or other special requirements, a 30L+ pack is just not necessary. Just my opinion, of course--only four Caminos, but decades of wilderness backpacking. I have found over the years that less is more, not only regarding pack size and weight but also with respect to most things in life.
I always find suggestions on acceptable pack weight and volume more compelling when the person providing that gives some indication of how big they are and what season they walk in. It gives others a much better understanding of how to apply the advice to their own circumstances if that information has been provided. I don't recall if you have provided this information in the past, but it might help put your position on pack sizes in some context were you to do this.

I always find suggestions on acceptable pack weight and volume more compelling when the person providing that gives some indication of how big they are and what season they walk in. It gives others a much better understanding of how to apply the advice to their own circumstances if that information has been provided. I don't recall if you have provided this information in the past, but it might help put your position on pack sizes in some context were you to do this.
Good point. I am 6'/195 lbs, and a summer walker.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For a less expensive alternative maybe try a Dueter Fox 30 or 40 for kids. My son was 4'8" when i got it for him and is now 4'11" 77# and the pack has room to grow still. When i purchased the pack i remember reading many reviews of petite women loving this pack

Check out the Osprey line, they offer a variety of back packs in various sizes. Excellent quality. Get it properly fitted by a salesperson who knows how to fit a back pack.

I like Zpacks backpacks. The 40liter is only 20oz/566grams and COMPLETELY adjustable to fit your body and basically waterproof. If you don't want the waist belt, that can be removed to make it even lighter.
If backpacks don't use waterproof materials, and the pack gets wet...man, it feels like you're carrying and extra 5 pounds of water on your back.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I took an Osprey 34L something pack on my first Camino. It was a great pack. No complaints. For my second Camino I took the Kumo pack from Gossamer Gear and was pretty miserable. It hung all wrong on me and was pretty uncomfortable. I was able to really get things dialed in for my last Camino and got everything into the 19L Minimalist pack from Gossamer Gear and it worked really well. You need to figure out how much gear you are going to bring and how much it weighs and then find the pack that fits both your body and can accommodate the bulk and weight of your items. Don’t forget to calculate for water/food.

The 40liter is only 20oz/566grams and COMPLETELY adjustable to fit your body and basically waterproof. If you don't want the waist belt, that can be removed to make it even lighter.
If backpacks don't use waterproof materials, and the pack gets wet...man, it feels like you're carrying and extra 5 pounds of water on your back.
I had a look at the specification of this, and the inference that it is a 40 li waterproof pack doesn't appear to be correct. There is a 28li main compartment that would be waterproof, but the two 2 li side compartments are open at the top, and the 8 li mesh centre pocket at the back is clearly not waterproof. I am careful about what items I carry outside my pack in side pockets, usually limiting it to items like my spare shoes, toilet trowel and similar items that won't suffer from getting wet. But it never amounts to 30% of my overall load, which it might have to be with this pack. I guess anyone using this pack will understand this, and learn how to distribute their load into items they are prepared to expose to the rain, and those they are not.

More that that, the maker, zpacks, don't claim anything more than 'the pack [is] highly water resistant', and recommends this:

We still suggest using dry bags for your important items like your sleeping bag.

I went for a browse myself today in Millets (for the UK readers), as I need a new pack and they stock some Osprey’s. In the event they didn’t have the Talon but while there I noticed this, which is listed as being only 600g. I’m not sure that’s accurate but, nevertheless, it looked like a pretty good pack for £90. Never heard of the brand but as everything is probably made in the same Chinese factories nowadays I don’t pay too much attention to brand names anymore.

IMG_20240204_115754_Original.jpeg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.