• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post Hip Replacement Camino

Dres

Time of past OR future Camino
July - August, 2017 1st time
2nd time ASAP
Hola,
I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have been trying to get back so I'm a lotta bummed about this development. Has anyone walked after a hip replacement and if so how long after and what was the recovery time before you could do it again? I really appreciate your advice.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Sunbun,
I (Anne) had a total hip replacement at the end of October, 2013. I was 59 at the time. I followed all the required surgeon and physio instructions. I also did a lot of exercises in the pool which I think helped with my recovery.
My husband and I were planning to walk our first Camino Frances in August, 2014. My surgeon reviewed me in March, 2014 and said I could start training walking for the Camino from then. We completed more than 800kms in training before heading off to start the Camino. We started the Camino as planned from St Jean Pied de Port on 22nd, August, 2014 and made it to Santiago de Compostela on 2nd, October, 2014, without any issues, taking three rest days along the way. This was the start of our long distance walking and we were hooked. So from my experience ten months is a long enough recovery period but be guided by your surgeon.
My husband has completed all our Caminos with both hips replaced twice.
I walk with hiking poles and we now don't carry heavy backpacks anymore.

Buen Camino,
Anne & Pat
Hi Dres,
We posted this in a previous thread, it might be of some assistance.
Buen Camino,
Anne & Pat

My hip was resurfaced in January 2021. There is not much difference between a full hip replacement and resurfacing but you can do more impact sport with resurfacing. I could walk as much as I wanted that summer. I walked the Via de la Plata/Sanabres in 2022 (March/April 1000k) with absolutely no problem from my hip; my knee was an issue but got stronger the more I walked. I walked a heavy, heavy Norte/Vadiniense/Salvador/Primitivo (1000k with a great deal of elevation change) this past September/October and had absolutely no issues, even with my knee.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Good to read your response @Anne&Pat and @Dres I hope your eventual surgery and rehabilitation run smoothly so that you may return to Spain to walk another Camino.

I am posting as a day 16 post-op hip replacement patient who happens to also be a physiotherapist. Best to first state that I was quite fit before my operation (doing yoga 4-5x per week and walking my dog 2 hours a day) and everyone's situation is different, but I certainly expect to be walking a Camino still this year.

Post-op I had only the day of the surgery pain and after that I only took paracetamol and an anti-inflammatory the first 4 days, no heavy-duty pain meds were needed. On day 11 post-op I could even stop those. The leg was swollen and bruised but that's normal and now that I am walking 3x a day 25-30 minutes that too has improved. This is of course only one person's experience but what I've heard from everyone is this - don't wait too long (I could have waited maybe another 6-12 months as I was still very functional) because the fitter you are going into surgery, the greater the likelihood of a speedy recovery. Time will tell!

I look forward to hearing other's experiences.

Edit to add that I'm 67, have 13 years walking Caminos including last summer doing a strenuous Olvidado and had an anterior approach which they say allows for a quicker rehab period 🤞🏼🤞🏼

Last edited:
My right hip was replaced in 2020, when I was 60—anterior approach to the surgery. I had complications with a fractured heel bone after that delayed my full recovery, but I walked the Camino Frances, with backpack, in 2022, with absolutely no pain or problem.

Of course, everyone is different, so there are some who could walk a Camino after 12 weeks post-op—that’s the standard recovery and PT period. I found that, besides my heel issue, it took me a while to regain balance. Good luck!

Walked the Camino Ingles 18 months after a total hip replacement when 61 and went walking in the Dolomites 6 months later. My recovery was really slow but gradually I got hooked on walking and have been ever since! Hoping to walk part of the Norte this year. Found having the camino as a goal a major motivator in recovery. All the very best for your walking adventures after your hip op!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola,
I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have been trying to get back so I'm a lotta bummed about this development. Has anyone walked after a hip replacement and if so how long after and what was the recovery time before you could do it again? I really appreciate your advice.
I have walked a few Caminos since a hip replacement 20 years ago. Did not do my first Camino until about 10 years after. That was because I had really discovered it. I did however do some long distance bike rides Sydney to Brisbane, Rome to London, Budapest London. Plus some many shorter tours.
I had a knee replacement 12 months ago and walked the Camino Inverano 6 months after that. Your surgeon should be able to tell when it is ok. Good luck

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Dres
I walked the full Camino Francis in fall 2023. My hip replacement was 2019 and then Covid hit so I missed out on some physio which extended my recovery. Prior to my hip replacement at 60yrs - my hip was so bad I was walking using a cane. As others have said - your pre surgery condition is important and it did influence when I felt ready. I needed extra time to get my body to stop guarding and use both legs equally and rebuild glute strength and muscles around the knee. I do have a bit less range of motion on my hip replacement side. That being said if it was not for another unplanned surgery I could have walked in 2021 I believe. Some things to consider - On my camino I used walking poles ( Nortic style ) 100% of the time this helped tremendously! I walked around 22 to24 km per day with longest 28 km and used pack transfer services - as the down hills were a killer on my knee! I have an excellent physio who I worked with pre surgery who designed water exercises for me ( I swim lengths daily). One more tip - Post surgery I used an Ice machine that was magical! It reduced my need for meds dramatically and so helped with swelling! Good luck! I am hoping to do a second camino - the Portuges this year! Jen

Hi Dres
I walked the full Camino Francis in fall 2023. My hip replacement was 2019 and then Covid hit so I missed out on some physio which extended my recovery. Prior to my hip replacement at 60yrs - my hip was so bad I was walking using a cane. As others have said - your pre surgery condition is important and it did influence when I felt ready. I needed extra time to get my body to stop guarding and use both legs equally and rebuild glute strength and muscles around the knee. I do have a bit less range of motion on my hip replacement side. That being said if it was not for another unplanned surgery I could have walked in 2021 I believe. Some things to consider - On my camino I used walking poles ( Nortic style ) 100% of the time this helped tremendously! I walked around 22 to24 km per day with longest 28 km and used pack transfer services - as the down hills were a killer on my knee! I have an excellent physio who I worked with pre surgery who designed water exercises for me ( I swim lengths daily). One more tip - Post surgery I used an Ice machine that was magical! It reduced my need for meds dramatically and so helped with swelling! Good luck! I am hoping to do a second camino - the Portuges this year! Jen
Thanks Jen. I appreciate you taking the time to reply, it is helpful to hear from others who have done the Camino after replacement. I am in relatively good condition aside from the hip so I hope that will help in recovery so I can get back on the Camino and the trails around my home.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked the Norte immediately before I had my hip replaced (had a few pain killers each day!!) so I was very fit before the operation. I then did my next longish walk in UK about 7m after the op and played golf from 3m after the op. Walked plenty of caminos since and still run regularly.

I walked the Norte immediately before I had my hip replaced (had a few pain killers each day!!) so I was very fit before the operation. I then did my next longish walk in UK about 7m after the op and played golf from 3m after the op. Walked plenty of caminos since and still run regularly.
Interesting that you may still run. My orthopedic surgeon said due to the high impact (I'm not overweight) running and trampoline springing were the only activities I shouldn't do post-op.

Since the end of 2016, I have had both hips and both knees replaced, the last of these operations in Sep 2022. I have walked a (short) camino just over six months after surgery, with a total of two longer pilgrimages and four shorter ones since my first hip replacement. The recovery times from each operation differed somewhat, but I have had a good result in the end from all of them. After the last knee replacement, I take a small inflatable pillow to put between my knees at night to keep them from touching each other. That is still uncomfortable if they do, and badly disrupts my sleep.

Recovery is something I discussed with the hospital rehab gym team when we set up my rehab goals.. At one stage, someone told me my goals were too high, inferring I wasn't going to achieve them. I stuck to my guns, and my goals. The rehab program I attended was goals based. After one operation I was offered a place on a time based program, which I declined. I had seen too many people leaving similar time based programs after five or six weeks. I was never far enough advanced towards my goals in that short a time. Typically it took me 10 weeks or so to get back to something approaching full recovery.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Since the end of 2016, I have had both hips and both knees replaced, the last of these operations in Sep 2022. I have walked a (short) camino just over six months after surgery, with a total of two longer pilgrimages and four shorter ones since my first hip replacement. The recovery times from each operation differed somewhat, but I have had a good result in the end from all of them. After the last knee replacement, I take a small inflatable pillow to put between my knees at night to keep them from touching each other. That is still uncomfortable if they do, and badly disrupts my sleep.

Recovery is something I discussed with the hospital rehab gym team when we set up my rehab goals.. At one stage, someone told me my goals were too high, inferring I wasn't going to achieve them. I stuck to my guns, and my goals. The rehab program I attended was goals based. After one operation I was offered a place on a time based program, which I declined. I had seen too many people leaving similar time based programs after five or six weeks. I was never far enough advanced towards my goals in that short a time. Typically it took me 10 weeks or so to get back to something approaching full recovery.
That is quite impressive - both knees and both hips and still walking Caminos!

This one hip replacement hopefully will be the only one needed. I had what they call secondary osteoarthritis due to a pelvic fracture (socket part hip joint) I had 13 years ago. The cartilage was damaged at that time so it really didn't surprise me that over the years and many Caminos that it further wore away. My other hip is normal.

As a physiotherapist it is interesting to hear about your rehab options. We don't have such a program here in The Netherlands, you just find your own physio and go from there. Our "wonderful" social health care system has been hollowed out and physiotherapy is no longer covered in our basic health care insurance that all citizens have so either you pay yourself or take out additional insurance. Mine does come once a week to my house so that's an added bonus while I'm still on crutches. He's more of an advisor checking in on me and reviewing my exercise routine, the rest I do on my own as I have been teaching patients these exercises for 30 years!

Thanks for all the contributions. Yesterday was week 3 post-op and I'm now walking with one crutch so I am able to now walk my dog myself. Simple pleasures.

Interesting that you may still run. My orthopedic surgeon said due to the high impact (I'm not overweight) running and trampoline springing were the only activities I shouldn't do post-op.
I am about 5ft 10 inches and weight about 9 stone 10 lbs. My consultant said do whatever you want to do. As he said, he has these replacements in people that weigh far more and are doing heavy lifting jobs with no problems.

That is quite impressive - both knees and both hips and still walking Caminos!
I don't want to be too much of a curmudgeon, but it would be unimpressive if I couldn't do this. One doesn't undergo surgery of this magnitude and complexity and the subsequent rehabilitation to not get back to a more active life.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I don't want to be too much of a curmudgeon, but it would be unimpressive if I couldn't do this. One doesn't undergo surgery of this magnitude and complexity and the subsequent rehabilitation to not get back to a more active life.
As a physiotherapist and Camino addict I stand firm in my opinion. One joint replacement ok, maybe even 2 but 4? It takes lots of work to get this far.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.