• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Preparing for April 2014 Camino de Madrid

Kazenouta

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Madrid(2014), Camino Frances(2014), Ruta del Ebro(2014)
Hi everyone,

My name is Charlie. I'm preparing for a 9-week trip to travel the caminos at the end of April. I'll be starting in Madrid and taking el camino de Madrid north to Sahagún. From there, I'll turn east on Camino Francés, branching off to Ruta del Ebro east of Logroño. Finally, I'll finish at Montserrat, with plans to take a bus to Barcelona for a few days to celebrate the journey.

I look forward to learning more about what it takes to be a traveler of these ancient trails from all of you with far more experience than I.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It will be fun up to Sahagun. Then, walking in reverse to Logrono will be a little tricky but, things could get nasty once you hit the Camino del Ebro and Camino Catalan in the ''wrong'' direction.
Good luck,
Jean-Marc

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
.... From there, I'll turn east on Camino Francés, branching off to Ruta del Ebro east of Logroño. Finally, I'll finish at Montserrat, with plans to take a bus to Barcelona for a few days to celebrate the journey.

Hi, Charie and welcome to the forum. I think it sounds like a lovely route, but.... Walking "backwards" on the Camno Frances won't be a problem because there will be so many pilgrims coming towards you on the Frances. Some have said when they get to an uncertain fork in the road on the Frances, just stop and wait for a few minutes and some pilgrims will appear. I've never walked the Ruta del Ebro, but I know it isn't heavily traveled, so you won't have pilgrims walking towards you to guide you. And on most caminos, only the way to Santiago is marked. Maybe the Ebro is different, but I doubt it.

There is a Ruta del Ebro section of the forum, but there are only two posts in it. One is entitled "walking in reverse" so you might be able to track down the poster and see if he actually walked it. http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/doing-it-in-reverse.19980/

A GPS might be invaluable to you.

Good luck. The Camino de Madrid isn't heavily traveled, but it is very well marked, and has many great albergues. Buen camino, Laurie

It will be fun up to Sahagun. Then, walking in reverse to Logrono will be a little tricky but, things could get nasty once you hit the Camino del Ebro and Camino Catalan in the ''wrong'' direction.
Good luck,
Jean-Marc
Thanks for your reply, Jean-Marc. Is it just the lack of marking that makes walking Ruta del Ebro problematic?

Hi, Charie and welcome to the forum. I think it sounds like a lovely route, but.... Walking "backwards" on the Camno Frances won't be a problem because there will be so many pilgrims coming towards you on the Frances. Some have said when they get to an uncertain fork in the road on the Frances, just stop and wait for a few minutes and some pilgrims will appear. I've never walked the Ruta del Ebro, but I know it isn't heavily traveled, so you won't have pilgrims walking towards you to guide you. And on most caminos, only the way to Santiago is marked. Maybe the Ebro is different, but I doubt it.

There is a Ruta del Ebro section of the forum, but there are only two posts in it. One is entitled "walking in reverse" so you might be able to track down the poster and see if he actually walked it. http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/doing-it-in-reverse.19980/

A GPS might be invaluable to you.

Good luck. The Camino de Madrid isn't heavily traveled, but it is very well marked, and has many great albergues. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie!
Thanks so much for your info-filled reply. I will definitely look at the thread you suggested. I'm learning now that picking a route (and buying plane tickets to match) requires a bit more forethought. A rookie mistake for sure, but I'll work it out. Thanks again :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for your reply, Jean-Marc. Is it just the lack of marking that makes walking Ruta del Ebro problematic?

Yes, in fact as stated by Laurie, there is no markings in the reverse direction. Few people travel that road so do not expect help from oncoming pilgrims.
Also, be careful in that Ruta del Ebro won't lead you to Monserrat but rather to Tortosa. You have to switch to Camino Catalan somewhere around Fuentes de Ebro.

Again, best of luck,
Jean-Marc

Good luck!! the Camino del Ebro is tricky...even in the right direction! Do stop though in the municipal in Gallur. Old railway station converted into a nice albergue/ tapasbar and the best hospitaleras ever.

Good luck!! the Camino del Ebro is tricky...even in the right direction! Do stop though in the municipal in Gallur. Old railway station converted into a nice albergue/ tapasbar and the best hospitaleras ever.
Sounds great! I will certainly keep it in mind :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back