Prescriptions on the Via Podiensis

WayWalker

Jul 1, 2014
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2016
What is the protocol for having a prescription refilled on the Le Puy route? I'm not sure my home pharmacy will give me enough to go 90 days. It's a low mg blood pressure med.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

SabsP

Veteran Member
Feb 18, 2010
Belgium
some and then more. see my signature.
What is the protocol for having a prescription refilled on the Le Puy route? I'm not sure my home pharmacy will give me enough to go 90 days. It's a low mg blood pressure med.

Can' t you discuss this with your GP? Surely if you are a regular patient the pharmacy will trust you?

Tincatinker

Veteran Member
Jan 9, 2012
West Sussex, England
I have no difficulty getting a 90 day scrip from my GP and no difficulty getting it filled at my local pharmacy. I always carry a copy of the scrip for the benefit of customs & excise or it’s European equivalent.

According to one debateable survey 80% of men over fifty are on one “heart” med or another. And it’s not as if they weigh much

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

TravellingMan22

Veteran Member
Jul 25, 2023
London
Portuguese/Frances 2020/Norte 2021
I have no difficulty getting a 90 day scrip from my GP and no difficulty getting it filled at my local pharmacy. I always carry a copy of the scrip for the benefit of customs & excise or it’s European equivalent.

According to one debateable survey 80% of men over fifty are on one “heart” med or another. And it’s not as if they weigh much
As above - are you UK based? Requesting 90 days seems pretty standard. Some BP medicines are avail without prescription in Spain.

Last edited:

dbier

Veteran Member
Feb 11, 2022
US
Last 114km C. Frances, Jul 21
2023 - C. Primitivo
Same here in the eastern US...just requested a travel override to get enough of my medications to last me the Camino. But I had to request the refill, have it denied by the pharmacy for being too soon, and then notify my insurance so they could apply the override.

And I *could* ask my doctor to write for 90 days at a time, particularly for my BP med.

Reactions: WayWalker
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

TravellingMan22

Veteran Member
Jul 25, 2023
London
In these cases it is always interesting to know where the country of residence is of a poster so we are able to give correct advice.
100% and few other topics too especially medical insurance! Europe and USA are a mile part in approach. Maybe bank fees!

Last edited:
Reactions: WayWalker and SabsP

TravellingMan22

Veteran Member
Jul 25, 2023
London
Probably with knowing the same of your drugs in Spain. Most drugs seem to have a ‘master name’ that often centre around the key medical name and then a different brand name by country or region. So mine had a totally different name in Spain. The pharmacy probably won’t know the brand name in your home country. I could get 1 of the 2 over the counter without prescription.

Reactions: WayWalker

NavyBlue

Oct 13, 2014
France
Le Puy and Camino Frances. Via Francigena. Tro-Breiz in progress.
Most drugs seem to have a ‘master name’ that often centre around the key medical name and then a different brand name by country or region. So mine had a totally different name in Spain. The pharmacy probably won’t know the brand name in your home country. I could get 1 of the 2 over the counter without prescription.
Hi,

Just in case you need to refill, make sure to know the INN (International Nonproprietary Name) of your medication.
French equivalent : DCI (Dénomination Commune Internationale).

More on INN :
https://www.who.int/teams/health-product-and-policy-standards/inn/guidance-on-inn

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

WayWalker

Jul 1, 2014
2013, 2016
Thank you! I was able to get another 90 days from my pharmacy here in the US for a small fee over my insurance cost. I'm glad I won't have to worry about navigating this in France.

Most read last week in this forum

I am very interested in walking from Le Puy to St. Jean in July. I've completed several other Caminos, so I am afraid I'm a little too casual with my prep for this one. I going to spend the next...
Hi! I'm new here and to the Camino, but trying to take advantage of a last minute opportunity to get off work for about 3 weeks including travel. I had hoped to do Le Puy to Cahors including the...
Hi, Can anybody recommend a Gite in Gramat? There seem to be a good number of places to stay, but I would like something near the GR if that's possible. A place oriented toward walkers would be...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides