• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Quiz El Salvador - Ave Maria

GunnarW

Time of past OR future Camino
2011+ > Spain, Belgium, France
Let's do a little quiz. Let's see if our members do remember the places where they noticed little statues and other artful creatures about Maria & Jesus.
I uploaded 6 pictures in random order. Can you remember the place where I took the pictures? Each good answer will give you points.
In case someone knows them all: you are only allowed to give one good answer each day.
Off course, you can upload your own pictures, or pictures of the neighbourhood or maybe other pictures of other spiritual statues or art along El Salvador and extend this quiz.

1.jpg
Picture 1 "Ave Maria at the letterbox"

2.jpg
Picture 2 "Patrona de Asturias"

3.jpg
Picture 3 "Ave Maria in a tree"

4.jpg
Picture 4 "Maria on an orange painted wall"

5.jpg
Picture 5 "Maria in a niche"

6.jpg
Picture 6 "El Salvador in a tree"

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I know number 6, I took the same picture. It's on the path along the river from Cabanillas to Cascantes, somewhere near La Seca.

The others I have no idea!

Hello Stuart,
Exactly, it's 4 minutes from the info billboard at La Seca heading to Cascantes.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Picture 3 is also on the first day out of Leon, on the right side of the camino north of Carbajal de la Legua. There´s a nice bench along the trail just adjacent.

Yes Rebekah.
Also this type of tree (kind of oak?) is typical for the first day of El Salvador. This could be a valuable hint.
The other pictures are more difficult. The Google car passed by all others, except n°1.

Shamefully, the only one I clearly remember seeing is number 3. Is it possible that #4 is in that little village where you walk down a long street of houses before you get to La Robla? But I have cleverly deduced that picture #2 is after the Puerto de Pajares since it must be in Asturias.
No points for me. Laurie

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
So frustrating! I can't answer any of them, though number 5 looks so familiar!
So here is another one, as you suggestedimage.jpg

Hello Laurie,
It would be a miracle after 2-3 years to remember where they would be.
Number 4 is in fact close to the end of El Salvador
Number 2 is not at the Puerto de Pajares. In fact this is the most difficult one as it's a part of a small statue. It's on a hill up.
Number 5 is my favourite. Before taking the picture, I cleaned up the niche and put Maria in the middle. It could be possible that 5 is not so old because in december 2008, the niche was not there. (Source Google street view) But the Google car passed there in March 2010 coming from another street and you see it. Actually, there is place to sit because we ate our bocadillo around her.

Fotview's picture is very interesting. I have an idea so first I will try to Google Street View it.

Fortview's picture: the blue painted house: I checked the blue painted house in Pajares, but it's not there.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Suddenly I remembered a second blue painted house.
And I found it!
I will not spoil the solution. Here is Google's picture.
7.jpg

I thought pic 2 was in Olloniego. Not sure. I remember seeing something like that along the way, when I was looking for Enders secret. But can't remember the hill.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, it's Peredilla.
Here it comes.
peredilla.jpg
Susanna, number 2 is just before Olloniego.
Number 4 and 5 are after Olloniego. First 5 then 4.

I must be the least observant. I do not remember any of them. Something else to put on my next Salvador list.

Memo to Joe: Be more observant^^.

I'm pretty much like you, Joe. I think I was paying too much attention to the mountain splendor, the wildflowers, and the blackberries. :)

But just so you won't think I was totally oblivious to the religious significance of things, here is one picture I took just before La Robla.

before La Robla.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
that is beautiful, Laurie. Must have been Corpus Christi Sunday, when the priest comes and blesses the whole town, and the doorways are decorated with flowers and these little altars.

that is beautiful, Laurie. Must have been Corpus Christi Sunday, when the priest comes and blesses the whole town, and the doorways are decorated with flowers and these little altars.

Rebekah, I remember thinking that a lot of love had gone into that little altar. And I would have enjoyed talking with whoever built it but there wasn't a person to be seen in that whole strip of houses right before the industry. When I arrived in LaRobla, there was a big procession and also a lot of first communions, and I just sat for a while and enjoyed watching all of the family and friend connecting going on and talking with the occasional curious person.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
oh yeah. That's Corpus Christi alright, major day for flowers and first communions. The big flags are Pendones, a very Leonese custom. Each village in the comarca has one that is unique, some of them are hundreds of years old. They take them out for processions and fiestas where several villages come together, just a way to represent the home town. Moratinos has one, but since the county line shifted it's not in Leon any more!
The people in the "abandoned" town were probably all at Mass, I bet.

There's no such thing as a silly question I tell my kids....so....would the little altars actually be used and by whom and for what purpose?
And a comment: these pictures have made me quite excited about what we are going to see.

You will see the little niches and statues if you look out for them. The altars and flags are one day a year. At Corpus Christi, the priest says a special Mass in the church, and then takes the host from the altar in a fabulous "monstrance" holder, and leads a procession round the town. Homeowners can put out a little altar and decorate the street with flowers, and the priest stops at the altars and sets the Host down, kneels on the cushion and says a blessing, supposedly for all the community, but the house with the altar outside supposedly gets a bigger dose! (I think it once was a function of the leading family of the town to supply the altar.) Nowadays, you put your new rosary or holy medal on the table too, for a blessing.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Rebekah thanks for your answer - and thanks for gently letting down my expectations! I do understand the flags and such paraphernalia will not be around when I walk - I meant all the little nooks and crannies and hidden objects are exciting me!

It's just fine that this thread describes the local processions, fiestas,...
Those huge flags, is it the goal to walk with it?

The flags are meant for processions, so walking with them is required. It is a job for the youngest, strongest men in town. Some of the huge heavy ones have cords attached to the top of the pole, too, so "outriders" can help control it if the wind gets strong. It´s an honor to carry the pendon. In Murias de Rechivaldo, the pendon team includes the hospitalero at the municipal albergue: Oliver, a blonde German dude! Last summer he made the newspapers!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks to the info of Rebekah, I found some small movies.
Look how difficult it is.
Look how easy it is.

To go back to the quiz.
I suggest to keep the answers. One day on of us will have the opportunity to walk again El Salvador. Or may be someone new wants to search for the remaining Marias?
Here are some tips.
#1 is between Campomanes and Pola de Lena
#2 is between Mieres and El Padrun, so it's somewhere on the 4km stretch going up at the right side.
#4 is on your way to Oviedo on a stand-alone house at the left side.
#5 is a little bit hidden while walking to Oviedo. I will not give too much details because it's my favourite.

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...
First time posting Live? Left León at 8am. Arrived at Cabanillas 2. The path is very beautiful. 20km total. Followed the River. At first town we went to the lovely Bar and Tienda. I bought cheese...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.