• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

re-visiting camino experiences

Kerstinh47

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 16 May - 29 June, 2014
I spent an hour or so re-reading some of the things I shared either privately with friends and family or occasionally on Facebook as I walked the camino Frances last year... reading this prompted me to share it here. Do you have a 'heart' story from your own camino? I want to read yours :))

Kerstin Hanson
June 28, 2014 · Sigüeiro, Spain ·

From my camino group message today:
Hello. I awoke to rain and decided to go back to sleep. The cafe/bar/pension that I stayed at said they would be open at 8:30 this morning, and the second time I awoke it was 8:30. The rain had lessened a bit so I got myself and my pack ready and out the door I went to NO COFFEE. It was now nearly 9am and they were still not open.
So I put my rain gear on and began to walk. I walked out of the city and into the woods, my boots squishing into the muddy trail with each step. After about 4kms I came to a cafe and finally had a proper cup of coffee. I continued to walk, again in a forest thick with the smell of natural decay and renewal. My boots squished with each careful step as I avoided puddles and possible areas to slip and fall. I thought about Santiago, now only 15 or 16 kms away; I thought about what it has taken physically, spiritually, and emotionally to get to this point. The trail began to climb, and climb, and climb.....I began to sing 'Stairway to Heaven' & I was sure this hill would never end. I told myself I was beautiful after imagining what I must look like and being aware of self-judgement, and I cried. I thought about everyone's beauty in spite of how hard we are on ourselves. I thought about my dad and how much I love him and how this long walking journey has helped me to find peace in the grief of loss. The hill eventually came to the top and I couldn't believe it. I really was prepared to walk uphill the rest of the day. It began to descend, and I started to notice hearts made in the mud on the trail with a walking stick of a pilgrim somewhere ahead of me. I got startled by a group of four bikers who gave me no warning they were behind me and after they passed I began to cry again. Sometime later, I saw a pilgrim stopped ahead of me, making a heart in the mud with her walking stick. I approached her, smiled in recognition - she was an Australian I had met yesterday who found after forty years of marriage that her husband had never been faithful to her - she told me that her mission today with the hearts was because the world didn't have enough love and she was adding love today; it was her hundredth heart so far. I cried. The heart is tender; the heart is fierce; the heart takes us anywhere we want to go if we are willing to set down all of the reasons why 'we can't'.
I'm ten kilometers from Santiago now. I can't believe I'm this close; I can't believe I've come this far. Tomorrow I'll arrive at the destination I've dreamt of walking to for a couple of years.
Each of you has been on this journey with me somehow - each of you is tender, fierce, and most of all - beautiful. Thank you for being here with me in my heart.
Love yourselves-
Love each other-
Love y'all-
Kerstin

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

I've just read this article from La Voz de Galicia. A Camino guide and frequent pilgrim with over 30 years of Camino experience calling for some greater regulation of numbers - at least on the...
One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Is there a list of albergues that also have private rooms on the Camino Frances? Gracias.
Hello, two weeks ago, I finished the Camino Francés, and while all the recent memories have not properly settled yet, I think enough time has passed to write a bit about my experience of the...
Can anyone give me (newbie!) some guidance on planning my stages after Roncesvalles? I currently have lodging booked Zubiri, Pamplona and then Puente la Reine, and on from there. I would prefer...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back